[Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

by sofar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 21:25

The "rankings" page on the website will now show the top 25 rankings for each category. If you didn't make the top 10, maybe now you can see where you landed. This also means there are actually more than 25 established builders, which is great progress to getting more people to build and more content to play!

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 17:58

Kroukuk wrote:it would be nice, if the category signs/smileys had names, that show what they mean
like "fast" instead of "racecar"
or "easy" instead of "winking face"
or "surprising" instead of "o-mouth"
so that the categorization is more consistent.

Oh? That is what they're supposed to mean? I used "winking face" and "o-mount" way diffrently. Couldn't really make out what they where supposed to mean.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Kroukuk

In-game: Kroukuk

by Kroukuk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 19:43

Sokomine wrote:
Kroukuk wrote:it would be nice, if the category signs/smileys had names, that show what they mean
like "fast" instead of "racecar"
or "easy" instead of "winking face"
or "surprising" instead of "o-mouth"
so that the categorization is more consistent.

Oh? That is what they're supposed to mean? I used "winking face" and "o-mount" way diffrently. Couldn't really make out what they where supposed to mean.

No, I don't really know, what they are supposed to mean ^^' That's just how I assume they could be used.
That's why I think they should have better names, so that not everyone reads them as something different

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Jan 16, 2019 23:20

Kroukuk wrote:That's why I think they should have better names, so that not everyone reads them as something different

Please tell that to sofar...
A list of my mods can be found here.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 04:14

Sokomine wrote:
Kroukuk wrote:That's why I think they should have better names, so that not everyone reads them as something different

Please tell that to sofar...

Here's how I intended it to work, but never found the time to implement it.

My idea was to allow organic categories. As players play levels and select icons by visual appearance, it doesn't really matter much what the icons mean to people as in the end most people will just largely agree on the icons' meaning, but there's no inherent meaning designated for them per se. I just drew a bunch to fill in enough different "perceptions" that I think we needed.

The backend job that parses the scoring file is supposed to perform a ranking for each icon, and create automatic series that the portal houses go into. So if for instance boxes 5, 10 and 15 score high on "sunshine", then those boxes would appear in the series that is linked by the "sunshine" house.

This needs 2 parts code. On the backend, the daemon that regularly runs to make the score boards needs to calculate rankings for each category. Then, this ranking data needs to be translated to series data that the server needs to regularly import into the Lua code (through a file read/json parse). It's not undoable, it's just a thing I've never gotten to.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 06:40

After 2 days of reading Sqlite3 docs, I managed to complete the backend side of the category icon code! So, hopefully in the next few days I can make the in-game stuff work.

Previous

Return to Servers