[Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

Kurtzmusch

In-game: Kurtzmusch

Re: [Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

by Kurtzmusch » Fri Sep 13, 2019 21:35

Wuzzy wrote:I thought there was a private message system. Where is it? Or did I confuse it with something else?

- However, no idea what to do if the block was destroyed by some other means. Maybe drop the torch like a falling node and self-attach it to the ground? Sadly wouldn't work if the ground is a liquid or the box has no floor. :-/

it is possible to give the torch to the player, but its not trivial... if im not mistaken, you could find the box that contains the torch by its position, and then find the player that is on said box. but this is assuming that a callback for when the torch is destroyed by water actually exists.
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon

Kurtzmusch

by Kurtzmusch » Fri Sep 13, 2019 22:17

a few more suggestions for the game:

- a deadly liquid that doesnt emmit light, like acid or something

- use texture-align = 'world' for most blocks like marble so that texturess for stairs, slabs and others all connect nicely

- custom textures for the slabs and stairs, with bevels on the top side too

- silent nodes: pistons, detectors, and maybe other nodes could be toggled silent... this will prevent from people to brute force some puzzles, by trying out diferent things and just reacting to the sounds without actually discovering the solution
- vignette for immersion https://github.com/kestral246/vignette_redo

- blocks that changes the player speed, for better control/ possibilities on parkour-ish boxes

- maybe make underwater more clear? levels underwater are hard to see, the blue tint on the screen is too strong

- make the vines collision box extend behind them, so you can grab them from both sides... i made the mistake of not placing vines back to back on my boxes and some jumps can be frustrating because of this, even though they are actually easy...

- make plates and detectors react more quickly... there are not a lot of these nodes on the boxes, and even the ones that might have lots of them, its probably still below 100, so i dont think this might cause any performance issues

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 23:27

Kurtzmusch wrote:- silent nodes: pistons, detectors, and maybe other nodes could be toggled silent... this will prevent from people to brute force some puzzles, by trying out diferent things and just reacting to the sounds without actually discovering the solution

This is actually completely intentional, and I don't intend to change it. You can already build `silent` puzzles by using adders and `push-to-complete` buttons. E.g have the player put in a combination, but require one more button press to "test" the validity. Placing unconnected node detectors is also easy and finishes it up.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 04:31

Kurtzmusch wrote:- use texture-align = 'world' for most blocks like marble so that texturess for stairs, slabs and others all connect nicely

- custom textures for the slabs and stairs, with bevels on the top side too

I don't see the benefit for both of these, I think it'll make many stair/slab nodes look weird, and people will want to rotate e.g. clay brick slabs the right way anyway, which would break?

Pudding

by Pudding » Fri Oct 11, 2019 04:22

While I was making my box I developed a mechanism that allows you to cycle through options with a button. I thought it would be usefull for those who want to build more mechanically advanced boxes.

The wool above the node detectors/creators shows what it has been set to detect/create. The wool above the adders shows what the output signal will result in. Since a node detector will mess with an adder if the node detector starts the box outputting a signal, a 'set' button is required. The 'set' button will trigger a node create and replace the glass with cyan wool. After the mechanism has been 'set' you'll be able to press the 'cycle' button to cycle between pink and cyan wool (where the glass is). It'll take 1 second to change from button press.

Note: this mechanism can have a signal change or a double change depending on the relationship of location to the individual mechs.

+ Mechanism Example: number lock

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 16:51

Nore and me welcome, with great pride, our newest server admin: Emerald

Emerald has been a fantastic supporter of the ITB server since the start and been dedicated to the server. Many players have already had the pleasure to meet. Please show a warm welcome to our newest server admin!

Emerald will be helping me with reviewing boxes, since I've been stuck in Raf's box for weeks now :)

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 16:54

One more update: Due to Emerald joing the server ranks as admin, I had to change the ranking code as Admin scores don't count - Emerald lost the player rank entirely as a result.

However, I decided that the boxes that are made by admins can be ranked, after all, it's players that rank the boxes, not admins. Thus, you'll see that Emerald, Nore and me (sofar) will appear from now on in the box and builder ranks. Don't worry, we are still excluded from the player ranking.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 04:15

I've made the ranking code Open Source. It can be found here:

https://gitlab.com/sofar/itb-ranking/

This code runs through a unit timer on the server and processes the score data. The output is JSON files, which the website and the game server ingests again regularly. Together, they form the score boards and the category teleports.

This code is in `go`. It would be too costly to do this in Lua, or even in C++ in the server thread itself. By offloading it to an out of process task, I can even possibly run it on a second host, or process the data offline.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 17:53

Small changes that are coming or just landed:

- The website now shows the review queue: https://minetest.foo-projects.org/status.html - you can use this to see if your box has been reviewed or not yet. In-game, you can see the size of the queue with `/queue` as well.

- Box testing will become required. I've received several submissions that were unplayable in the past, and many times it costs a lot of time to get this fixed by the builder, plus it costs extra review time. Therefore, builders will have to play through their own boxes after saving them. If a box isn't tested yet, a clear message is displayed when the builder attempts to submit it.

Kurtzmusch

by Kurtzmusch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 18:19

nice changes, what made you release the logic for ratings? thought you wanted that to be somewhat secret

also, i cant believe people are submiting boxes without testing first lol

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 21:07

Kurtzmusch wrote:nice changes, what made you release the logic for ratings? thought you wanted that to be somewhat secret

At the start of the project, we were really concerned about players "gaming" the system. While that's still possible in some ways, we see that by and large most of the players appreciate the rating system, but do not game it. The simple explanation for it is that the player ranking isn't something that you can game in the long run - constantly players with good rankings before will be coming back and playing the boxes they haven't done yet. So, as the size of the playable content grows, the amount of time needed to skew the ratings is becoming larger too. In the end, players that come back and play all the boxes will end up high in the rankings, and, this is exactly what we want to encourage.

With that background info, you can see that the actual score factors aren't as relevant as they appear. This is why posting the code at this time is appropriate - we want to show people that it's relatively simple and honest - it's just a number that "ranks" you or your box amongst it's peers.

For boxes and for builders I care more about the rankings, and I've think I've succeeded at the goal that I set out: to reward boxes that *capture* and *entertain* the player as much as possible. The ratings for boxes favor boxes that keep players occupied longer but also boxes that many players complete - in other words, it's a direct measure of "total player time consumed". You can see from the box rankings that elaborate and intricate boxes are all rating really high. These are the boxes that are master series material.

Kurtzmusch wrote:also, i cant believe people are submiting boxes without testing first lol

There's a few that were obvious oversights, but one player took 3+ hours to *test* his own box (on my insistance - they assured me each individual jump was "possible").

Previous

Return to Servers