[Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

by sofar » Post

v-rob wrote:I think terminals should also be able to send trigger and untrigger signals, probably with the commands "trigger" and "untrigger."
They actually already send a trigger. The trigger is sent when the player opens the terminal interface.

I don't actually want normal boxes to use this feature. It is meant to be used by the tutorial series only. Any sort of box scripting in normal boxes shouldn't use this feature, because it relies too much on forcing the player to click terminals. In the tutorial however this makes sense, since there is an (unfinished) storyline that can be followed through the terminal (replay value/easter egg/RP element).

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: My review of Inside The Box on September 19, 2017

by GreenXenith » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:The award for the best troll goes to …
Spoiler
… box 40.
Mwahahaha >:D
Wait a second... 44 is more of a troll level...
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

sofar wrote:
v-rob wrote:I think terminals should also be able to send trigger and untrigger signals, probably with the commands "trigger" and "untrigger."
They actually already send a trigger. The trigger is sent when the player opens the terminal interface.

I don't actually want normal boxes to use this feature. It is meant to be used by the tutorial series only. Any sort of box scripting in normal boxes shouldn't use this feature, because it relies too much on forcing the player to click terminals. In the tutorial however this makes sense, since there is an (unfinished) storyline that can be followed through the terminal (replay value/easter egg/RP element).
Oh...

What if you made a switchboard that does multiple switches at once instead? This way, it wouldn't have to be a normal terminal. (Even though I think typing only would be easier)

EDIT: Personally, I want a computer of some sort to handle this, like a security computer or something.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:40: There Snow Way Out:
- Not really a problem, but:
- Too many emoticons for my taste
- The big writings (“built by …”) on the wall are redundant
I put those signs there just because. Don't ask. Also I don't remember putting many emoticons but ok xD
I think there's a mixup there. There are just 2 text signs in this one (which I deleted, sorry) and no emoticons.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:As requested, here is the list of typos and other minor issues:
So, I went over all of these boxes and fixed some of these issues, but I also didn't fix some of them.

Most importantly, there are just going to be boxes that aren't as good as others out there, that's almost unavoidable. The ceilings are really hard to solve.

Remember, aside from the tutorial, I didn't make most of the boxes. We have kids under 10 building boxes on this server, and you may also run into some less correct english spelling - there's a small horde of russian players on almost daily. It would hurt the project if we painstakingly corrected (Like Wuzzy corrects everything he sees is wrong in this world) and modified user contributed content.

So, you're going to have to live with some beauty marks. That's what you get with user contributed content.

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

sofar wrote:I did a quick collection of player origin and made this map:
Spoiler
It's cool to see that players are coming from all over the world. Some regions appear to be underrepresented, though, like China and most of Africa.
im the one from madrid :)
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

v-rob wrote:You should make the help easier to understand instead of just listing functions. Probably giving each one its own line with a description would be best.
Have you tried "help" and "help read" and "help help" etc? It's all explained....

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

sofar wrote:
v-rob wrote:You should make the help easier to understand instead of just listing functions. Probably giving each one its own line with a description would be best.
Have you tried "help" and "help read" and "help help" etc? It's all explained....
Actually, what I didn't get was that you had to say "read <document>" I didn't think of putting a function and then something, so this really wouldn't have been much help for me.

What if you made a sign in the library or a note in the rules on how to use the terminal?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

It's been almost 3 weeks of bug fixing and working hard. Here's a small update of things we've tended to in the past week or so.

- Lots of security work. We continue to audit the code and look at possible ways to exploit some of our own code, and protect against it. Most of this work is something users won't ever see, since we're essentially guarding against malicious players. We want to make sure that the server can't be wrecked or crashed easily, so we'll keep doing this going forward.

- We've adjusted a lot of node and tool tooltips. There's still a few items that need better text, but we've made a big dent. The items all have more elaborate descriptions now, and some of the tools have a tooltip which is essentially a little help text describing the way to use. Some of the tooltips are now dynamic (paint and bulk tool) and change based on what you're doing with it.

- We raised clouds a bit higher. We're gonna make clouds likely dynamic based on box size, so there will be some more work coming, but it should already be an improvement.

- Some new sound work! Slabs and stairs were entirely missing footstep sounds, which is now fixed. There's a new snow dig sound set, and the stone footstep (arguably the most played sound effect) was significantly lowered in volume. Sand digging sounds, gravel digging sounds, grass digging sounds, all were added.

- Underwater bubbles in water. Just because, particles are cool.

- Particles when mech breaks nodes. Provides a better visual cue that something changed.

- There is now a "reveal" tool. The reveal tool can be used while editing to see where you have placed blocks that the player can obtain.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

I hope you release the code soon. At least the nodes, pistons, switches, buttons, terminal, etc., since box-related stuff is probably the one that has the most security problems.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

v-rob wrote:I hope you release the code soon. At least the nodes, pistons, switches, buttons, terminal, etc., since box-related stuff is probably the one that has the most security problems.
Everything is in the same repository, so, I'm not going to release parts separately. Almost all the mods are highly integrated too, and I am not currently interested in doing the work to separate that (it wouldn't make sense and be a lot of work anyway).

On top of that, even though the code may be reusable, people would have to re-texture almost everything irregardless.

The actual most important reason to release it is so that others can help *this* project. Not to help *themselves*.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I suck at this game but I love it,
it's got to be one of the best Minetest games
I have ever played.

I think a lot can be learned from this game
and not just by seeing the repository.

This game has style and that can't be duplicated with
cloned coding or fancy textures.

Just seems like some one put some heart into it :)

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

What I really want are the things like switches, buttons, inverters, etc. They're wireless mesecons, which is so nice. I also like the terminal and the light a lot. But I'll wait. Good things are worth waiting for.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Napiophelios wrote:I suck at this game but I love it,
it's got to be one of the best Minetest games
I have ever played.

I think a lot can be learned from this game
and not just by seeing the repository.

This game has style and that can't be duplicated with
cloned coding or fancy textures.

Just seems like some one put some heart into it :)
I fully, 100% agree. This is definitely a "game"..., and will hopefully be pushed to the forefront as such as it grows and becomes more and more polished. I have yet to find any part of it, that I don't like.
And what makes it even better, is the ability for players to be involved/interactive in it's growth.

When I get stuck with one puzzle, I can always move on to another, and go back to try it again later.
The funny part is, I like the ones I get stuck on the most :P
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: I fully, 100% agree. This is definitely a "game"..., and will hopefully be pushed to the forefront as such as it grows and becomes more and more polished. I have yet to find any part of it, that I don't like.
And what makes it even better, is the ability for players to be involved/interactive in it's growth.

When I get stuck with one puzzle, I can always move on to another, and go back to try it again later.
The funny part is, I like the ones I get stuck on the most :P
I agree too, this is a totally different universe compared to other subgames. It's a real GAME.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

RealGoldenHart
GitHub: GoldenHart
IRC: GoldenHart
In-game: GoldenHart

by RealGoldenHart » Post

Good server. Tough puzzles. Hate parkour.
Later. :D
K. I'm bored with signatures.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

New block and code changes:

There's now a "creator" block that allows builders to create blocks. It works by "picking up" an already placed block (and will remember the rotation of that block) and when you place it, and trigger it (with e.g. a button), it will create that node in the designated place.

There is, just like the detector, one side that has a small opening. The created node will be placed there. You can determine the distance of the created node by punching or right clicking the creator node after it's placed. This way you can create nodes far away. The creator node can also be rotated any way you want with the screwdriver.

The detector node now also can have a configurable detector distance. 0 means adjacent, and is the default value. This way you can detect nodes and hide the detector.

Open the spoiler section for screenshots:
Spoiler

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Could I request a way to search boxes by creator? I don't know how hard that would be to do...
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

GreenDimond wrote:Could I request a way to search boxes by creator? I don't know how hard that would be to do...
While it wouldn't be too hard to do.... we currently have *no* means to search at all. So until we do, I'm not even sure what the way is to implement this, or what type of search would be first. I have been thinking about using the terminals in the lobby to provide all sorts of misc. functionality, but that will need a lot more base work to be usable.

So, I think we'll get there at some point, it's just going to take a while.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

For those struggling to complete the tutorial, I've uploaded a set of videos showing all tutorial parts on youtube. The full playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ3xsXm ... fn4CQUnV1v

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I've created a simple website to help people get around discovering more about the server and find quick links to the tutorials, but also do things like view the server rules and just some general information. We'll also link project source code from there and of course there is a back link to the forum thread for discussion topics, and IRC channel information. Feedback welcome!

Visit: http://minetest.foo-projects.org/

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

What is with the "foo" everywhere? Does it mean something?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

v-rob wrote:What is with the "foo" everywhere? Does it mean something?
It's a nonsense word that is typically used in computer science code examples. I just have had that TLD for many years, and I've used it for various Open Source activities I've done over the years.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Website looks really nice..., clean, well done.
The videos are awe..... ???? waaaait a second 0_o I didn't have videos to show me how to get through the tutorial... maaaaannnn :P
Doesn't matter, I had a load of fun and then some getting through them and figuring them out. I haven't visited in a while, have to find some time tomorrow.
A Wonderful World

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

WTF?

by Wuzzy » Post

LOL. So first you created a purposefully complex tutorial designed to lock some players out of the game, and now you released tutorial videos for the turorial?

Tutorialception! xD