[Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

Kurtzmusch
In-game: Kurtzmusch

Re: [Server] Inside The Box [Puzzles]

by Kurtzmusch » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I thought there was a private message system. Where is it? Or did I confuse it with something else?

- However, no idea what to do if the block was destroyed by some other means. Maybe drop the torch like a falling node and self-attach it to the ground? Sadly wouldn't work if the ground is a liquid or the box has no floor. :-/
it is possible to give the torch to the player, but its not trivial... if im not mistaken, you could find the box that contains the torch by its position, and then find the player that is on said box. but this is assuming that a callback for when the torch is destroyed by water actually exists.
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon

Kurtzmusch

by Kurtzmusch » Post

a few more suggestions for the game:

- a deadly liquid that doesnt emmit light, like acid or something

- use texture-align = 'world' for most blocks like marble so that texturess for stairs, slabs and others all connect nicely

- custom textures for the slabs and stairs, with bevels on the top side too

- silent nodes: pistons, detectors, and maybe other nodes could be toggled silent... this will prevent from people to brute force some puzzles, by trying out diferent things and just reacting to the sounds without actually discovering the solution
- vignette for immersion https://github.com/kestral246/vignette_redo

- blocks that changes the player speed, for better control/ possibilities on parkour-ish boxes

- maybe make underwater more clear? levels underwater are hard to see, the blue tint on the screen is too strong

- make the vines collision box extend behind them, so you can grab them from both sides... i made the mistake of not placing vines back to back on my boxes and some jumps can be frustrating because of this, even though they are actually easy...

- make plates and detectors react more quickly... there are not a lot of these nodes on the boxes, and even the ones that might have lots of them, its probably still below 100, so i dont think this might cause any performance issues

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Kurtzmusch wrote: - silent nodes: pistons, detectors, and maybe other nodes could be toggled silent... this will prevent from people to brute force some puzzles, by trying out diferent things and just reacting to the sounds without actually discovering the solution
This is actually completely intentional, and I don't intend to change it. You can already build `silent` puzzles by using adders and `push-to-complete` buttons. E.g have the player put in a combination, but require one more button press to "test" the validity. Placing unconnected node detectors is also easy and finishes it up.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Kurtzmusch wrote: - use texture-align = 'world' for most blocks like marble so that texturess for stairs, slabs and others all connect nicely

- custom textures for the slabs and stairs, with bevels on the top side too
I don't see the benefit for both of these, I think it'll make many stair/slab nodes look weird, and people will want to rotate e.g. clay brick slabs the right way anyway, which would break?

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

While I was making my box I developed a mechanism that allows you to cycle through options with a button. I thought it would be usefull for those who want to build more mechanically advanced boxes.

The wool above the node detectors/creators shows what it has been set to detect/create. The wool above the adders shows what the output signal will result in. Since a node detector will mess with an adder if the node detector starts the box outputting a signal, a 'set' button is required. The 'set' button will trigger a node create and replace the glass with cyan wool. After the mechanism has been 'set' you'll be able to press the 'cycle' button to cycle between pink and cyan wool (where the glass is). It'll take 1 second to change from button press.

Note: this mechanism can have a signal change or a double change depending on the relationship of location to the individual mechs.
Spoiler
Note: I've added an inverter and an adder to prevent buttons that trigger opposite events having at same time (it adds a delay).

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Nore and me welcome, with great pride, our newest server admin: Emerald

Emerald has been a fantastic supporter of the ITB server since the start and been dedicated to the server. Many players have already had the pleasure to meet. Please show a warm welcome to our newest server admin!

Emerald will be helping me with reviewing boxes, since I've been stuck in Raf's box for weeks now :)

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

One more update: Due to Emerald joing the server ranks as admin, I had to change the ranking code as Admin scores don't count - Emerald lost the player rank entirely as a result.

However, I decided that the boxes that are made by admins can be ranked, after all, it's players that rank the boxes, not admins. Thus, you'll see that Emerald, Nore and me (sofar) will appear from now on in the box and builder ranks. Don't worry, we are still excluded from the player ranking.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I've made the ranking code Open Source. It can be found here:

https://gitlab.com/sofar/itb-ranking/

This code runs through a unit timer on the server and processes the score data. The output is JSON files, which the website and the game server ingests again regularly. Together, they form the score boards and the category teleports.

This code is in `go`. It would be too costly to do this in Lua, or even in C++ in the server thread itself. By offloading it to an out of process task, I can even possibly run it on a second host, or process the data offline.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Small changes that are coming or just landed:

- The website now shows the review queue: https://minetest.foo-projects.org/status.html - you can use this to see if your box has been reviewed or not yet. In-game, you can see the size of the queue with `/queue` as well.

- Box testing will become required. I've received several submissions that were unplayable in the past, and many times it costs a lot of time to get this fixed by the builder, plus it costs extra review time. Therefore, builders will have to play through their own boxes after saving them. If a box isn't tested yet, a clear message is displayed when the builder attempts to submit it.

Kurtzmusch

by Kurtzmusch » Post

nice changes, what made you release the logic for ratings? thought you wanted that to be somewhat secret

also, i cant believe people are submiting boxes without testing first lol

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Kurtzmusch wrote:nice changes, what made you release the logic for ratings? thought you wanted that to be somewhat secret

At the start of the project, we were really concerned about players "gaming" the system. While that's still possible in some ways, we see that by and large most of the players appreciate the rating system, but do not game it. The simple explanation for it is that the player ranking isn't something that you can game in the long run - constantly players with good rankings before will be coming back and playing the boxes they haven't done yet. So, as the size of the playable content grows, the amount of time needed to skew the ratings is becoming larger too. In the end, players that come back and play all the boxes will end up high in the rankings, and, this is exactly what we want to encourage.

With that background info, you can see that the actual score factors aren't as relevant as they appear. This is why posting the code at this time is appropriate - we want to show people that it's relatively simple and honest - it's just a number that "ranks" you or your box amongst it's peers.

For boxes and for builders I care more about the rankings, and I've think I've succeeded at the goal that I set out: to reward boxes that *capture* and *entertain* the player as much as possible. The ratings for boxes favor boxes that keep players occupied longer but also boxes that many players complete - in other words, it's a direct measure of "total player time consumed". You can see from the box rankings that elaborate and intricate boxes are all rating really high. These are the boxes that are master series material.

Kurtzmusch wrote:also, i cant believe people are submiting boxes without testing first lol
There's a few that were obvious oversights, but one player took 3+ hours to *test* his own box (on my insistance - they assured me each individual jump was "possible").

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Ooff, the latest box additions are really tough cookies, and a lot of them are still unsolved by me. But they sure look great as always. I think the main problem I have is that the newest boxes require a LOT of searching, and you have manged to hide stuff in *REALLY* evil locations. XD Anyway, good work, flolks!
Sorry for complaining about FishTank so much, but it's finally fixed now. Yay!

May I make some suggestions to the game?
  • Per-box highscores: See the best time/damage/whatever a box has been completed with (along with player name). This is mostly interesting for parcours boxes. I'm not so sure if this is of any use for non-parcours boxes, however. :-/
  • Split the New series into Puzzle and Parcours. Puzzle is for boxes in which you need to solve puzzles and need to think (so it will be for most boxes). But boxes which are exclusively (or almost exclusively) about platforming and movement skills go into Parcours. I think those two types of boxes are fundamentally different, thus justify their own series. Also, the New series is now large enough so that a split would make a lot of sense IMO. Currently, Puzzle would still be the main series and very large, and Parcours is a
  • Make /leave command work for players, too (currently, it requires server priv (lolwut?))
Finally, what's up with the Master Series? Nothing seems to have changed here for years. Does it still make sense to offer this series? Given that the New series is the series where the *real* action is happening … Maybe consider removing it if you don't have time to maintain it anymore. Or do you have plans with this series?
Note that I also consider most boxes in New to be of very high quality already. It's not like the “New” series is garbage or something (even if the terminals sound like the New series only has low quality content).

EDIT:
Suggested Parcours series (roughly sorted by difficulty/complexity):
  1. 6: Hop Scotch
  2. 350: Be quick!
  3. 78: Lily Pond
  4. 75: white jump
  5. 580: A Day at the Gym
  6. 671: Lava!
  7. 263: Parcour fun
  8. 208: Deadly Parcour
  9. 90: Flood! (NOTE: I'm not sure about that)
  10. 86: Lava Park
  11. 444: Escaping the Complex
EDIT 2:
As I have probably written before, I don't like boxes 513 and 682. You need to dig a HUGE number of blocks and it's quite a chore. The problem is simple: Digging is too slow. I think these boxes could be improved by a ton by making the tools faster, at least inside these boxes. These 2 boxes are one of the very few boxes I dislike, but they would be improved by such a change. Most boxes are good or great IMO.

Also, someone in chat just told me that they managed to full up their entire inventory with dirt in these boxes. That's a problem because they could no longer collect the nexus cubes when this happens. Emerald had to “rescue” one such poor player. I have a suggestion on how to prevent this from happening again: Simply increase stack_max of everything (except tools) to the maximum possible value (65535). I think there is no real reason why the stack size is limited to 99. You don't need inventory management in this game, after all. So with this change, filling up your inventory should be pretty much impossible.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

You can also fill up your inventory with pickaxes in Dock 514 because the minecart keeps going. This seems harder to fix.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Dendras
GitHub: Codedwizard
In-game: a_comandable_unit

by Dendras » Post

THIS. IS. MY. FAVORITE. SERVER.
I. LOVE. PUZZLES.
AND. TACTICAL. PVP. LOL.
3oDGrnKYJ2zbgj5aAkApC6UGUMp8wzka

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Make /leave command work for players, too (currently, it requires server priv (lolwut?))
Sorry for not getting to all of this just yet, there's a ton of good stuff in your post I want to do something about.

`/leave` was initially barred because we didn't (and still don't) allow new players to leave the tutorial. Obviously once they have finished it, they should be able to use this command, so that just needs fixing (like many little things, lol).

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Box 514 is still very buggy:

- You can start the “crafting table train” infinitely times (just press the button repeatedly)
- You can respawn the pickaxe chest infinitely times (just wait after you started the “crafting table train”)
- You can respawn the ores infinitely times (just press the button repeatedly)

These bugs allow you to fill up your inventory with garbage. And when your inventory is full and you have no nexus cubes, it's game over.

Edit:
Another bug: It's possible to destroy a torch by placing something inside (e.g. a mushroom). This is a problem in box 771 because torches are critical here.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:These bugs allow you to fill up your inventory with garbage. And when your inventory is full and you have no nexus cubes, it's game over.
It's your own fault if you fill your inventory up with items that you (should) know you don't need (especially ores which are stackable). That said, being able to clear unnecessary items might be nice, although this would equally raise the issue of a player trashing an item that they will need again later on and being similarly unable to complete the box.

Perhaps what's actually needed is a way to restart a box (clearing the player's inventory and resetting everything to the initial state) without having to leave and enter it again (which may require making a note of the box number and breaks the continual flow from one box to the next if you're playing a series). It might also be nice to have the ability to re-spawn in a box without having to find a way to kill yourself (but still counting it as a death) although this won't help in the previously-described situations.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

In the end I'd say it would be simpler to just fix the map in question
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Box 514 is still very buggy:

- You can start the “crafting table train” infinitely times (just press the button repeatedly)
- You can respawn the pickaxe chest infinitely times (just wait after you started the “crafting table train”)
- You can respawn the ores infinitely times (just press the button repeatedly)

These bugs allow you to fill up your inventory with garbage. And when your inventory is full and you have no nexus cubes, it's game over.

Edit:
Another bug: It's possible to destroy a torch by placing something inside (e.g. a mushroom). This is a problem in box 771 because torches are critical here.
At all times when I apply the official server rules, I will insert the word "reasonable" when thinking about issues.

Is it reasonable to fill your inventory with pickaxes? Does everyone think that it is reasonable? Does a reasonable person do this regularly? Should it reasonably be interpreted as a rule breaking box?

In my opinion, there's nothing reasonable about it. This isn't a box that violates the rules in spirit - maybe it does to the letter of the rule, but not in a *reasonable* way. In other words: a lengthy discussion about it is undesirable here, because we're talking edge cases where the intent was clearly not to violate the rule - it was architected as a fun way to create a resource for the player dynamically, nothing less.

The problem I have with your report is that you're describing the box as "very buggy". In fact, all the problems you list are unlikely to ever cause the box to malfunction in a way that prevents the box from being completed.

So, please, choose your words more wisely. You are making your own reports less valuable by using bad wording like this. You could have said "minor annoyances for people who attempt to exploit game mechanics" and it would have been 100% correct and accurate, for instance. "very buggy" implies multiple game-breaking defects that affect many/most players, and is terribly unspecific.

One thing I did over the weekend is to prevent players from getting the same tool more than once. So filling up your inventory with pickaxes is no longer possible.

I'll likely increase stack_max as well, but that should not be seen as an invitation to further complain about the time it takes to dig all blocks present.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

micheal65536 wrote:That said, being able to clear unnecessary items might be nice, although this would equally raise the issue of a player trashing an item that they will need again later on and being similarly unable to complete the box.

Perhaps what's actually needed is a way to restart a box (clearing the player's inventory and resetting everything to the initial state) without having to leave and enter it again (which may require making a note of the box number and breaks the continual flow from one box to the next if you're playing a series). It might also be nice to have the ability to re-spawn in a box without having to find a way to kill yourself (but still counting it as a death) although this won't help in the previously-described situations.
I'd prefer not to have the player think about inventory management, which is why I added code that prevents tool duplicates in the inventory.

Because we have a server rule that boxes must, at all times, remain able to be completed, I think that having a restart button would invite too many players to "give up and retry" all the time, which is the exact opposite of what I want - I want players to continue exploring the box in the current state instead. So, I'm not much inclined to offer these "easy way out" type of mechanics to players.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Because you didn't like what I said, I have to write this in my defense: You said very often that it is a VERY hard rule that boxes must be in a completable stage at all times. The silly infinite tool exploit, although admittedly obscure, is violating the rule. Because I thought it's a VERY hard rule, I reported it.
One thing I did over the weekend is to prevent players from getting the same tool more than once.
:-(
I'm afraid this might break present or future boxes in which you need multiple tools for some reason, for example, by inserting them into item frames for some kind of code. Even if this doesn't break any box atm, it might limit creativity for future boxes. I don't think it's an ideal solution. Please revert this. Note my concern is NOT entirely theoretical, there are currently a couple boxes that are using tools/items as “keys” you must put into itemframes to proceed (Cluedo comes to mind).

Instead, maybe just prevent the pickaxe chest from respawning in box 514, once the pickaxe has been collected. Or make sure that when this chest *does* respawn, it will be empty.
As far I know, this is the only box in which you get infinite tools, so a box-specific fix seems reasonable.

I agree the infinite respawning of ores is much less of a problem because it's much harder to fill your inventory with these. So I don't mind if you ignore the ores.

If you do not wish to touch box 514 at all, well, whatever. It's not important. Reason: I'd rather have an obscure infinite tools exploit in a single box than limiting creativity for all future boxes to come.

Anyway, yeah, most things in box 514 are not really game-breaking bugs. But a lot of the scripted stuff just feels weird. For example, the “infinite crafting table train” that you can respawn infinitely times. I didn't know all of this stuff is intentional. Note the “infinite crafting table train” has nothing to do with exploiting game mechanics, it's more that the wood sound is a bit disturbing, especially when you pressed the button many times. But this is not really important anyway. You might argue its only a matter of taste, and you might be right.

So yeah, the only “true” issue in box 514 would be the infinite pickaxes, and even that is (admittedly) arguable.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Because you didn't like what I said, I have to write this in my defense: You said very often that it is a VERY hard rule that boxes must be in a completable stage at all times. The silly infinite tool exploit, although admittedly obscure, is violating the rule. Because I thought it's a VERY hard rule, I reported it.
The *intentional* part really matters. I have seen a few boxes where it was intentional, and that's a giant no-no. But when it comes to hypothetical abuse of game mechanics, then I'm not going to jump in and make dramatic changes to boxes right away. I'd rather figure out a reversible change that doesn't involve modifying many existing boxes, first.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
One thing I did over the weekend is to prevent players from getting the same tool more than once.
:-(
I'm afraid this might break present or future boxes in which you need multiple tools for some reason, for example, by inserting them into item frames for some kind of code. Even if this doesn't break any box atm, it might limit creativity for future boxes. I don't think it's an ideal solution. Please revert this. Note my concern is NOT entirely theoretical, there are currently a couple boxes that are using tools/items as “keys” you must put into itemframes to proceed (Cluedo comes to mind).
hmmm, yes, perhaps we can just make tools stackable, or something like that. I'll have to experiment with that first, though.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The real problem is that ITB breaks as soon your inventory is full. Many bad things happen when your inventory is full:
- When you dig a node, you won't get its drop
- You can no longer collect stuff
- You might not be able to get rid of any of your items

Therefore, ITB needs to make sure the inventory never ever fills up.

Here's a couple of different, kinda mutually-exclusive ideas:

Idea 0:
- Stackable tools (as you suggested).

But I doubt that Minetest allows it. :-(
Also, it kinda would feel a bit awkward to mine stone with a stack of 3 pickaxes. ;-)

Idea 1:
- Just forbid boxes to give players too many items that could fill up the inventory, especially infinite tools (as they fill up your inventory the fastest). For nodes this rule can be ignored as it just takes forever to fill up your inventory with nodes anyway.

IMO this is the most straight-forward solution, and I don't really see a point in allowing infinite tools at all. In box 514, there is no real reason why the pickaxes are infinite, it doesn't add any interesting gameplay. So is it reasonable to have infinite pickaxes (at least in box 514)? No, it isn't. 2, 3, 4 or even 5 pickaxes (e.g. for putting them into itemframes) can be useful for some sort of “itemframe puzzles”. But I just fail to see any use case for infinite pickaxes/axes/shovels/etc.
So your logic about being “reasonable” goes the other way as well. :P

Idea 2:
- Prevent digging nodes when the player would be unable to get its drop
- Add a node (trashbin, incinerator) to dispose of unwanted items. The box maker must configure this node to accept only certain items. This node will be useful for boxes that give players an infinite amount of something. Even without this node it could be probably simulated with the current system already: Have a item frame and a button and when you press the button whatever is in the item frame is destroyed

Not an ideal solution IMO, as adding a whole new node and gameplay mechanic just to deal with infinite items just feels wrong.

Idea 3:
- Enforce the “1 tool maximum” limit you have added before, but only apply it to certain boxes for which you want to enable it (e.g. box 514). This rule is disabled by default for all other boxes. Boxes with infinite tools (for whatever reason) should be the exception.

Maybe this is the best compromise between “prevent players from breaking things” and “full author creativity”.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Idea 0:
- Stackable tools (as you suggested).

But I doubt that Minetest allows it. :-(
Also, it kinda would feel a bit awkward to mine stone with a stack of 3 pickaxes. ;-)
It works, though. Because ITB doesn't use tool wear, tools are equivalent to craftitems. If I just change the registration to do a craftitem registration, they can stack and remain to function as before. So, I might just do this.

And yes, you can dig with a stacked shovel :D