need help to set up an online server

burli

need help to set up an online server

by burli » Post

I want to set up a small online server at home. The first questions: I have 10MBit upload, is that enough? And I want to use the UP Board (http://www.up-board.org/up/) with an external SSD for storage. Is that powerful enough that a hand full of people can play at the same time?

Then I need some help to set up my network and security. I want to use Ubuntu Server as OS

u18398

Re: need help to set up an online server

by u18398 » Post

burli wrote:I want to set up a small online server at home. The first questions: I have 10MBit upload, is that enough? And I want to use the UP Board (http://www.up-board.org/up/) with an external SSD for storage. Is that powerful enough that a hand full of people can play at the same time?

Then I need some help to set up my network and security. I want to use Ubuntu Server as OS

I do not know that UP Board. No idea how powerful that is. Like a rasperry pi ?
I would recommend you to use a VPS (virtual private server). You will have a fast network and do not have to
care about hardware and stuff. For 10 Euros a month you usually get an VPS fast enough to handle from 10 to 20
players depending on your host and your mod collection.

What country are you from ? That also might be a thing...
Last edited by u18398 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

burli

by burli » Post

More powerful than a RasPI 3. And I don't want to set up a virtual server (I could, but I don't want). I don't want to host a huge game server. It's more a test server for some of my mods

u18398

by u18398 » Post

burli wrote:More powerful than a RasPI 3. And I don't want to set up a virtual server (I could, but I don't want). I don't want to host a huge game server. It's more a test server for some of my mods
Avoid mods like moretrees, pipeworks and technic and it should run pretty well I guess. Maybe you will suffer from
some lag when new chunks are generated, but that isn't too serious. I have a small test server at home running on
a Raspberry Pi 2 with only 0.5MBit upload and it is still enough for 5 players.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

The Up board is pretty powerful - it's a new generation Atom processor, they make low end servers and desktops out of the same CPU core. It's enough for a casual server with some close friends, but as some have said, some mods are really resource intensive. 10mbit is enough, it's more about whether you don't have someone bittorrenting or otherwise ruining your bandwidth that could be an issue. Use the Public Remote Media Server to reduce login time!

burli

by burli » Post

I don't plan to add bloated Mob's like moretrees. I will think about a remote media server.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

burli wrote:I don't plan to add bloated Mob's like moretrees. I will think about a remote media server.
Well, feel free to use the public one - you just need 2 lines in your server config to make it work.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

sofar wrote:
burli wrote:I don't plan to add bloated Mob's like moretrees. I will think about a remote media server.
Well, feel free to use the public one - you just need 2 lines in your server config to make it work.
What should be mentioned also:
"The server is fully deployed, but in *beta*. That means that we may change policies, stop it, and/or do other things with it if needed."
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18951

burli

by burli » Post

Ok.

How do I set up Minetest itself?
What should be changed to the default settings in minetest.conf?
What can cause security issues?

u18398

by u18398 » Post

burli wrote:Ok.

How do I set up Minetest itself?
What should be changed to the default settings in minetest.conf?
What can cause security issues?
The first three posts in this forum will help you with that. Try to use the forum
search funktion and you will find all what you need.

For security reason just follow the usual rules. First of all, never run minetest server as root and do
not open more ports in your firewall as needed. Keep operating system software up to date.

burli

by burli » Post

Gundul wrote:For security reason just follow the usual rules. First of all, never run minetest server as root and do
not open more ports in your firewall as needed. Keep operating system software up to date.
I know these rules. I will try the rest asap.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Gundul wrote: What should be mentioned also:
"The server is fully deployed, but in *beta*. That means that we may change policies, stop it, and/or do other things with it if needed."
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18951
Yes, I have to do this since the hosting for this server is currently free, but may end up costing money, at which point I might decide to either pay for it, move it or discontinue it. I want people to be aware of that - it's not something they can "demand" that it works in the future. It's strictly a volunteer thing that they can currently use.

bummbelbee
IRC: bummbelbee
In-game: bummbelbee

by bummbelbee » Post

Right. To set up a VPN server (Virtual Private Network), go on to your Wi-Fi router settings (192.168.0.1 in your broswer) and enable a port. (30000 reccommended). Now go to the minetest tab and select a world. Click "Host Server" and "Announce Server" then host the game. For other people to connect, they need to type in your IP adress (type "ifconfig" into the terminal) and your port on the Servers tab. Enter username, password, and you're in! Hope this works! :¬)

burli

by burli » Post

I don't need VPN. I just need to forward the port to the server. And my router is not at 192.168.0.1 ;-)

Maybe someone want's to try to connect. It doesn't run on the Up Board, I just want to know if it works. I was able to the server using the external IP, so it should work

Try minetest.selfhost.eu:30000

Be careful. I have installed mobs redo with my own pathfinder. You will see some debug informations in the chat and if you see some bubbles on the ground: run ;-)

I may add some weapon and food as initial stuff ;-)

Edit: you need Minetest dev to connect to this server, sorry
Last edited by burli on Sun Dec 17, 2017 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

SONOFSATAN
IRC: SONOFSATAN stevr59
In-game: SONOFSATAN

by SONOFSATAN » Post

i run the raspberry pi 2 server on a Upboard Intel Atom® x5-Z8350 Processor 4GB DDR3L-1600 ram 64GB eMMC does ok but i only have 6 Mbps download and upload speed of 0.31Mbps dls . it can handle about 4 players before the lag get bad been runnin git on the upboard for a year now with no proublems. but with my slow internet speed i moved the raspebberry pi sever to a vps and shut the sever down on the raspberry pi. if you just want a small server up borad well do ok but if ur wanting a big sever wirth lot of players host it on a vps.
SONOS Raspberry pi server nyx.no-ip.org:30001
SONOS -MT server www.swh59.com:30002