Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer hosting?

Mineminer

Re: Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer host

by Mineminer » Post

fstltna wrote:I get you. But btw my servers are ssd based amd64 servers...

Thank you for the understanding and that what I was concerned about. Currently there are little options (if any) to expand beyond those grade of hardware if/when that time comes.

danold

by danold » Post

I am hosting my game servers by myself at http://cinfu.com. They have cheap vps plans and very reliable support. Never had any problems with my minetest server :) If you decide to get yourself an vps hosting plan anf need some help setting up your server, I am glad to help.

Darkwar
GitHub: Darkwar
IRC: Darkwar
In-game: cooljar10

by Darkwar » Post

Mineminer wrote:I don't get it but apparently I read on their FAQ that servers are put to "sleep" on their network. Is this a joke? Or do they don't get business logics. Everywhere else keep their customers' servers online 24/7 (usually having a 99.9+% uptime promise to boost).

With that said, I am only paying for provider that act like a "normal" Game Service Provider. Does anyone know anyone who does this without messing with having it "put to sleep" for a PAID service? Nor having to fuss with a unmanaged VPS?

Thank you in advance!
if u go to https://minecity.online/index.php/community it have paid servers that better then minetesthosing and keeps ur server up 24/7

meseking35
GitHub: meseking35
IRC: meseking meseking_ meseking__
In-game: meseking MeseBot

by meseking35 » Post

I can offer a minetest hosting services with a starting price of £2 a month. My business can promise near 24/7 hosting. Please contact me at minetesthost@gmail.com.https://minetesthosting.yolasite.com/ This website is under development at time of this post.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Minetesthosting is a Joke? Any REAL GSPs that offer hosting?

by Festus1965 » Post

Hosting, with real good hardware and without a win ...

about 2 years ago I made a calculation about own hosting offer,
* have easy free 3*6 meter room
* with mostly 4 mt-server
* per one i7-4770 machine, full 32 GB ram, ...
* electric, network costs
* ... just batteries for max 1 hour save a electric shutdown ...
* with ago 50/20 Mbit fiber, now I have 214/214 Mbit Fiber
* and fixed IP (extra 800 Baht/month to get here = 22 Euro ==> at 4 servers, = 16 mts a plus of 1.5 each).

and I was barely to keep the costs at 10 Euro / month, with just the hope to get the investment back in about 5 years

I was practicing bookkeeping, and made master level in "Betriebswirt", so I guess I know what to look for, and it didn't contain work power costs, as must be free (I am not allowed to work here in Thailand, smile)

The main not to do it ?
* my location, too far from most gamer
* the crazy wishes of admins (mean I think had to rule, changes only after each 3 months, to keep the updating slow) as no special hosting software planed ...
* We have maybe too much servers, so that solution of minetesthosting with only active when owner or gamer get in, is GOOD solution == saving power for our future (climate change)

So however a service is cheaper, mhhh strong thinking how ... or what might be missing at all.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 01:47
Hosting, with real good hardware and without a win ...

about 2 years ago I made a calculation about own hosting offer,
* have easy free 3*6 meter room
* with mostly 4 mt-server
* per one i7-4770 machine, full 32 GB ram, ...
* electric, network costs
* ... just batteries for max 1 hour save a electric shutdown ...
* with ago 50/20 Mbit fiber, now I have 214/214 Mbit Fiber
* and fixed IP (extra 800 Baht/month to get here = 22 Euro ==> at 4 servers, = 16 mts a plus of 1.5 each).

and I was barely to keep the costs at 10 Euro / month, with just the hope to get the investment back in about 5 years

I was practicing bookkeeping, and made master level in "Betriebswirt", so I guess I know what to look for, and it didn't contain work power costs, as must be free (I am not allowed to work here in Thailand, smile)

The main not to do it ?
* my location, too far from most gamer
* the crazy wishes of admins (mean I think had to rule, changes only after each 3 months, to keep the updating slow) as no special hosting software planed ...
* We have maybe too much servers, so that solution of minetesthosting with only active when owner or gamer get in, is GOOD solution == saving power for our future (climate change)

So however a service is cheaper, mhhh strong thinking how ... or what might be missing at all.
Agreed current solutions are a pain and/or somewhat a bit overpriced for even the rig I got my hands on. Not to mention collocating hardware is basically worthless unless your going to more than 8 threads anyways. Which no Minetest server will ever do being single threaded.

Server hardware is only getting more costly and bigger ever since Intel passed their bucks for single threaded performance. In order to compete with AMD offerings.

Just a couple of years ago you could get a up to date rig for just $1,200 and be done. Now your lucky to get a rig for ~$1,800 or so...

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 02:00
Just a couple of years ago you could get a up to date rig for just $1,200 and be done. Now your lucky to get a rig for ~$1,800 or so...
A mts don't need newest hardware, my own server at home is a 2nd hand hp i7-4770, got for 10.000 Baht (285 Euro), just plus 4 times 8 GB (each 1400 = 160 Euro) and a M.2 SSD (128 GB = 30 Euro), plus batteries (Syndome 800 VA = 47 Euro),
ok switch, cable, ... but 4 Server would have been 2.100 Euro

multi-thread, that Is why 1 server (8 threads) may hold 4 mts, as there are still 4 threads available for map-gen,
but whatever is told about this, my server HAS one mts and there are always 2 (TWO) threads very mostly active, beside another existing 4 more, but low consumption and not important on my hardware.

So written facts about mts are not what I see daily ...

Why HAVE a server to run 24/7 ... it is just a game, not very popular, not so much gamer ... I had lan party with delta force, land warrior ... that had at a weekend more gamer then we have online here in the list ...

Most of the gamer I have seen this years in mt just need there own server, as than they have all privs they want, the mods they want ... just look at the list, how much server are 0 gamer ? most time. lolololollll

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 02:18
Mineminer wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 02:00
A mts don't need newest hardware, my own server at home is a 2nd hand hp i7-4770, got for 10.000 Baht (285 Euro), just plus 4 times 8 GB (each 1400 = 160 Euro) and a M.2 SSD (128 GB = 30 Euro), plus batteries (Syndome 800 VA = 47 Euro),
ok switch, cable, ... but 4 Server would have been 2.100 Euro

multi-thread, that Is why 1 server (8 threads) may hold 4 mts, as there are still 4 threads available for map-gen,
but whatever is told about this, my server HAS one mts and there are always 2 (TWO) threads very mostly active, beside another existing 4 more, but low consumption and not important on my hardware.

So written facts about mts are not what I see daily ...

Why HAVE a server to run 24/7 ... it is just a game, not very popular, not so much gamer ... I had lan party with delta force, land warrior ... that had at a weekend more gamer then we have online here in the list ...

Most of the gamer I have seen this years in mt just need there own server, as than they have all privs they want, the mods they want ... just look at the list, how much server are 0 gamer ? most time. lolololollll
I agree no point of wheeling out an i9 10900K for something like that. But generally speaking the newer you can get reasonably the better for most "standard" servers (e.g. Mesecons, Technic, etc).

As for why demand 24x7 hardware? It's because if I am paying a good amount of money for it I better have a data center with all of the fixings to back it up.

If I could get "eco powered" quality hardware with all of the fixings and get a 30% if not better discount of what I am paying now, that would cool. But as of now I don't know such a place where you can choose to do that and power down/eco run your server and still get it at a competitive rate compared to a 24x7 server sitting next to it.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Think some time about how much servers (depending on what we all can see in server list) might have been qualified for 24/7 ... I guess, one data-center for 20 mts would take them all, maybe use 40 ... rest is gamer 0 and can sleep the other times

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 02:43
Think some time about how much servers (depending on what we all can see in server list) might have been qualified for 24/7 ... I guess, one data-center for 20 mts would take them all, maybe use 40 ... rest is gamer 0 and can sleep the other times

Again there is little if any incentives to running a "part time" server unless your running a Rack Mount under your bed.

Yona

by Yona » Post

Just get a static ip from your isp and host it yourself with a ddwrt or synology router, and use esxi with bitnami or turnkey linux and run sever and builds in vm on a seperate low spec box. Or synology router and server and use docker or vm.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Yona wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 01:38
Just get a static ip from your isp and host it yourself with a ddwrt or synology router, and use esxi with bitnami or turnkey linux and run sever and builds in vm on a seperate low spec box. Or synology router and server and use docker or vm.
I am confused on how easily an ISP would do this for you, as far as giving you a static IP and/or allowing this.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 15:24
Yona wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 01:38
I am confused on how easily an ISP would do this for you, as far as giving you a static IP and/or allowing this.
Static IP offers tend to be "enterprise" offers. Furthermore, in my country at least, most ISPs forbid in the EULA to run a server on ADSL, although the "ADSL box" they provide often let you do NAT stuff like a regular router.

I would go for DynDNS instead.

As an aside, also in my country the upstream bandwidth is lower than the downstream, because the connection is tuned for typical WWW use (you download HTML and Javashit - woops, Javascript files - all the time and send comparatively few data). This not ideal for servers.
My game? It's Minefall.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

I might be too late here but i recently started a hosting-service here: https://hosting.minetest.ch/ there is still a lot of things missing (https://github.com/minetest-hosting/hos ... /issues/11) but it should cover most bases in the current state. Feel free to test and give feedback (and ping me up if you need some initial credits)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 15:24
Here in Thailand it takes me another 850 Baht to get a fixed line. The same price we pay for the 960/220 fiber already.
But I didn't check out if that is an own physical connection or just a 24h of the used contract.
But anyway 850 Baht or now 22.50 Euro each month is not worth that, as my isp true seam to have to problem with my hosting anyway, and I had no server player that really had a problem with that lost connection every 24 hours.