Stop Banning People | The Anti-Ban Movement #AntiBanMovement

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Stop Banning People | The Anti-Ban Movement #AntiBanMove

by Linuxdirk » Post

Buddler wrote:On a sidenote, running a server on a laptop isn't that bad an idea.
Or hosting at home in general.

Actually I recently purchased a "mini PC" that will be directly connected to my switch in the basement. UPS aside hosting at home has a lot of benefits. You have physical access ab you are 100% in control of all hardware and software and the costs are minimal (the only additional cost is the power consumption of the hardware).

If you have a good connection hosting a server at home is absolutely possible without any disadvantages compared to a professionally hosted server. Just set up any type of dynamic DNS host using one of the multiple providers for that and configure your router to properly forward the port.

IanniPowerup!!!
In-game: IanniPowerup

by IanniPowerup!!! » Post

Buddler wrote:Been banned recently for not obeying server rules that you didn't bother to read anyway? Well, that's one way of dealing with that. The other two are:
  • Setting up your own public server where you're boss, where nobody can ban you.
  • Get some script-kiddie tool and (try to) DDoS the public server you've been on into oblivion.
Seriously, if server owners remove the final punishment for breaking the server rules, they may just as well break the rules. Chaotic anarchists may be in for the times of their lives, destroying cities that took dozens of people months or years to build within minutes just for the lulz and not facing any consequences (even if they've managed to even drown the spawn area under 20 blocks of lava, killing new members in the process).
1st i do have my own server [hosted by orwell] called ULTRA WORLD Survival [just been up for only 6 days now]
and theres no ban punishment but only jail and law BUT the law only applies at spawn , if u leave spawn u can do whatever u want

2nd : PROTECTION MOD ! Do u use it ????? If yea then spawn wont be destroyed and builds will be saved , we aren't talking about a scenario like ''The Purge'' movie , just having a system that punishes players but doesnt prevent them from logging in

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Buddler wrote:On a sidenote, running a server on a laptop isn't that bad an idea.
Or hosting at home in general.

Actually I recently purchased a "mini PC" that will be directly connected to my switch in the basement. UPS aside hosting at home has a lot of benefits. You have physical access ab you are 100% in control of all hardware and software and the costs are minimal (the only additional cost is the power consumption of the hardware).

If you have a good connection hosting a server at home is absolutely possible without any disadvantages compared to a professionally hosted server. Just set up any type of dynamic DNS host using one of the multiple providers for that and configure your router to properly forward the port.

So you have...
1. Multi homed networking with 3+ enterprise graded carriers?
2. Mitigation equipment that comes in the thousands if not millions?
3. Temperature and humidity controls?
4. Enterprise grade security?

Seriously, hosting at home isn't like hosting at a data center. If you want access you can always colocate and probably pays around the same amount of money.

Of course there exceptions to this but assuming you live in a decent area you can likely put it in a rack and forget about all of the above for MUCH less and more stability to boot.

TommyTreasure
IRC: TommyTreasure
In-game: TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

1st i do have my own server [hosted by orwell] called ULTRA WORLD Survival [just been up for only 6 days now]
and theres no ban punishment but only jail and law BUT the law only applies at spawn , if u leave spawn u can do whatever u want

2nd : PROTECTION MOD ! Do u use it ????? If yea then spawn wont be destroyed and builds will be saved , we aren't talking about a scenario like ''The Purge'' movie , just having a system that punishes players but doesnt prevent them from logging in
Oh, so there are rules. Don't mess with spawn. Punish a player if they do something YOU don't like.

1st: De-protect spawn. Then it would truly be a "No Rules" server, as you advertise.

2nd: Never monitor or play on your server. That way the players wouldn't have to worry about you snooping on them. Truly a "No Rules" server.

It really seems to me, that you're taking a really long trip to go out of your way, in order to advertise your server. (AKA "Shameless Plug".)

(edit for spelling error)

IanniPowerup!!!

TommyTreasure wrote:

Oh, so there are rules. Don't mess with spawn. Punish a player if they do something YOU don't like.

1st: De-protect spawn. Then it would truly be a "No Rules" server, as you advertise.

2nd: Never monitor or play on your server. That way the players wouldn't have to worry about you snooping on them. Truly a "No Rules" server.

It really seems to me, that you're taking a really long trip to go out of your way, in order to advertise your server. (AKA "Shameless Plug".)

Is it hard to understand that...
1) Even in CITY 2 the server that actually is about chaos [was] there is a protection mod
2) NO RULES OUTSIDE OF SPAWN ! SIMPLE ! If someone wants to craete his town here he is gonna put his own rules if he wants to . But as there is no law on the jungle in the real world there can't be on my server .
3) As people say [my server my world] they put these ''rules'' u protect religiously because they like them
4) In top of that I'm probably the most helpful owner of a minetest server . I'm giving players free stuff as an event ALWAYS help when they need , even sometimes in-game problems like mobs or night stuff , I'm hosting DAILY challenges with HUGE rewrds every day [not today cuz server crashed but whatever when its up]

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

IanniPowerup!!! wrote:
TommyTreasure wrote:

Is it hard to understand that...
1) Even in CITY 2 the server that actually is about chaos [was] there is a protection mod
2) NO RULES OUTSIDE OF SPAWN ! SIMPLE ! If someone wants to craete his town here he is gonna put his own rules if he wants to . But as there is no law on the jungle in the real world there can't be on my server .
3) As people say [my server my world] they put these ''rules'' u protect religiously because they like them
4) In top of that I'm probably the most helpful owner of a minetest server . I'm giving players free stuff as an event ALWAYS help when they need , even sometimes in-game problems like mobs or night stuff , I'm hosting DAILY challenges with HUGE rewrds every day [not today cuz server crashed but whatever when its up]
You're actually not :P Some admins take it farther than you. They host a creative server
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

IanniPowerup!!!

Lone_Wolf wrote: You're actually not :P Some admins take it farther than you. They host a creative server
why would i do that when i want a survival server ?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

IanniPowerup!!! wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote: You're actually not :P Some admins take it farther than you. They host a creative server
My definition of survival must differ from yours. Survival means no 'gifts from the god(s)'. You want something you work for it
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

Meant to be humorous.

Player: Why did you kick me?
Admin: You didn't follow the rules of the server.
Player: Rules? What rules. I know how to play Minetest
Admin: /ban Player. Cant see the signs in front of his face.

IanniPowerup!!!

TommyTreasure wrote:Meant to be humorous.

Player: Why did you kick me?
Admin: You didn't follow the rules of the server.
Player: Rules? What rules. I know how to play Minetest
Admin: /ban Player. Cant see the signs in front of his face.
show him the signs first , if u are pro ban

IanniPowerup!!!

Lone_Wolf wrote:
IanniPowerup!!! wrote:
My definition of survival must differ from yours. Survival means no 'gifts from the god(s)'. You want something you work for it
The ONLY reason I give players free stuff now is because the server has only been up for a week , and it's an opening event that will be on untill April 9th

IhrFussel
GitHub: IhrFussel
IRC: IhrFussel
In-game: IhrFussel

by IhrFussel » Post

When I talk about servers that are treating their players badly I don't talk about non-serious servers, I actually talk about servers that are very popular for some reason even though they make up stupid rules to follow.

I only consider a server owner/staff good and fair if:

- They follow their own rules
- They accept and tolerate people with different opinions as long as they don't break rules
- They act neutrally and do NOT see themselves above regular players
- They think about other ways of punishment before they blindly ban players forever
- They don't punish players for something that was never part of the server rules
- They actually listen to feedback from players and consider changes/additions based off of it
- They actively maintain the server and are online regularly

I might have forgotten something, but those are the points I require before I call server management "good".
Last edited by IhrFussel on Sat Mar 31, 2018 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

IhrFussel wrote:When I talk about servers that are treating their players badly I don't talk about non-serious servers, I actually talk about servers that are very popular for some reason even though they make up stupid rules to follow.

- They accept and tolerate people with different opinions as long as they don't break rules
- They think about other ways of punishment before they blindly ban players forever
- They actually listen to feedback from players and consider changes/additions based off of it

I might have forgotten something, but those are the points I require before I call server management "good".
I am curious. can you give us some examples what kind of rules you find stupid?

IhrFussel

by IhrFussel » Post

IceAgeComing wrote:
IhrFussel wrote:When I talk about servers that are treating their players badly I don't talk about non-serious servers, I actually talk about servers that are very popular for some reason even though they make up stupid rules to follow.

There are several rules I and many others consider "going too far"

Such as "Don't argue with staff" which is an indirect way of stating "What my moderators and I do is ALWAYS right and there is 0% chance for an error."

I don't have such a rule and luckily many other servers don't either.

The ones that have this rule I would never connect to once.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

You guys are still missing the whole point of a well moderated server.

1. If you have an issue with a moderator, handle it in PM. That way you don't clutter game chat with a debate.

2. If you're on a "Family Friendly" game, that means you are in a game that can have players as young as 4 years old.

3. Players that visit a server that has consistently ranks well in the server list, has rules that you don't consider to be fair, then its obviously not the game server for you.

4. Most successful and popular servers have a foul language rule. A player that ignores this only proves they have been subject to very poor parenting, has no respect for others, and generally thinks they can just do as they wish.

5. Some servers have mods that have been edited to function quite differently from other servers. The new visitors that visit, tell the old players how to do something incorrectly, then argue with moderators about it, obviously shouldn't be on that server.

6. Above all, if a player reads, understands, and doesn't try to push the rules to their breaking point, respects the players, isn't arrogant, isn't prone to argue their views in public game chat, then they usually have a fun time in that game, and don't 'ruffle the feathers' of the admin staff.

7. Just because a player has different views on how a server "should" be run, doesn't give them the right to pick fights with the admin staff. Its still the property of the admin.

So, very simply stated, if you don't like the way a server is run, don't play on it. Attacking a server just because "you" don't agree with their policies only proves that your rules are more unfair than the admin's rules.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

IhrFussel wrote:
IceAgeComing wrote:

Such as "Don't argue with staff" which is an indirect way of stating "What my moderators and I do is ALWAYS right and there is 0% chance for an error."

I agree wholly. It's one thing to not allow disrespect against members AND staffs. But if your only going to care about you and your staffs then it stupid in a professional sense.

Having an argument is not bad IF it done professionally. In fact sometimes that the ONLY way that one or the other going to be able to realize to think "out of the box".

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

IhrFussel wrote:Such as "Don't argue with staff" which is an indirect way of stating "What my moderators and I do is ALWAYS right and there is 0% chance for an error."
This is where “My server, my rules” kick in.

You are neither obliged nor entitled to play on a particular server. The moderators and administrators can ban anyone they want for any reason they want or just because they can without a given reason.

Servers are not democratic.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

IhrFussel wrote:
IceAgeComing wrote:

I'd like to know what gives any single player the right to be the judge of an administrator's rules or actions, or why that player's definition of 'stupid rules' overrides the administrator's definition of 'good decisions'. Your right to criticize doesn't take precedence of an administrator's right to hold to his or her decisions to create their rules.

Once again. My home, my rules, and don't kick my dog!

If you don't agree with my hospitality, visit another home. I'm not about to change my views because of a very small handful of players that disagree with my rules, or ban decisions.

Game servers are not retail stores that generally agree that "The customer is always right".

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
IhrFussel wrote:Such as "Don't argue with staff" which is an indirect way of stating "What my moderators and I do is ALWAYS right and there is 0% chance for an error."

You are neither obliged nor entitled to play on a particular server. The moderators and administrators can ban anyone they want for any reason they want or just because they can without a given reason.

Again if the server is not up to market standards then don't expects to last for the long run. It may be your own box/service but that doesn't means the market cannot "vote with their bucks".

IhrFussel

by IhrFussel » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:

You completely misunderstood my sentence.

I never said that the regular players should be able to decide whether or not the staff member decided correctly. But you should not simply FORBID the players to complain about your staff's decision, because staff can make mistakes too, you know?

I'm sick of this "My staff members are the best and whatever they do is OK" thinking!

Server owners are not supposed to play god, they are supposed to treat their user base responsibly.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

IhrFussel wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:

You completely misunderstood my sentence.

I never said that the regular players should be able to decide whether or not the staff member decided correctly. But you should not simply FORBID the players to complain about your staff's decision, because staff can make mistakes too, you know?

I'm sick of this "My staff members are the best and whatever they do is OK" thinking!

Server owners are not supposed to play god, they are supposed to treat their user base responsibly.
Ah, but why are you (the player) more qualified than the administrator to determine how they decide to operate their servers? Don't agree with them, don't play them. There is no reason for revenge. Server owners ARE the god(s) of their servers.

BTW, revenge on a server, administrators, moderators, and especially a DDoS attack, are very childish methods of expressing dissatisfaction. Just move on, and find the server you wish to call your home.

IhrFussel

by IhrFussel » Post

TommyTreasure wrote: Ah, but why are you (the player) more qualified than the administrator to determine how they decide to operate their servers? Don't agree with them, don't play them. There is no reason for revenge. Server owners ARE the god(s) of their servers.

BTW, revenge on a server, administrators, moderators, and especially a DDoS attack, are very childish methods of expressing dissatisfaction. Just move on, and find the server you wish to call your home.
That's called equal rights. You shouldn't take the right from your players to complain about something while YOU get to keep it.

I call it also common sense.

And if you think a server owner can or should play god on their server(s) then I feel sorry for you. I am all for fairness and any server owner that's not for fairness should shut down their server IMO.

Also I didn't talk about any form of revenge, I only stated what makes a good server in my eyes.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Mineminer wrote: Again if the server is not up to market standards then don't expects to last for the long run. It may be your own box/service but that doesn't means the market cannot "vote with their bucks".
Dude, go play MC instead. Your idea of "market standards" are what you get when you play a paid, proprietary game on-line.

Almost everyone who runs an MT server does so by putting their own personal money down without getting anything back for it, other than the enjoyment of having people play and have a good time.

Your expectation clearly do not match the minetest community. Please go away, or run a server that matches your own expectations.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

IhrFussel wrote:I'm sick of this "My staff members are the best and whatever they do is OK" thinking!
Then simply don’t play on such servers … Case closed. That’s it. Done.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

IhrFussel wrote:
TommyTreasure wrote: Ah, but why are you (the player) more qualified than the administrator to determine how they decide to operate their servers? Don't agree with them, don't play them. There is no reason for revenge. Server owners ARE the god(s) of their servers.

That's called equal rights. You shouldn't take the right from your players to complain about something while YOU get to keep it.

I call it also common sense.

And if you think a server owner can or should play god on their server(s) then I feel sorry for you. I am all for fairness and any server owner that's not for fairness should shut down their server IMO.

Also I didn't talk about any form of revenge, I only stated what makes a good server in my eyes.
Equal rights don't apply to my personal property. My server is my personal property. Just because I make it available to selected, and in my case, vetted players, doesn't give anyone the right to overrule my rules.

Again, If i entered your house, and started to argue to your mom, dad, children, spouse, or friends, over the way I think they should treat me as a guest, I'm sure you would have no problem showing me the way to the front door. Maybe even with my having a blackened eye. :)

My apologies about associating my revenge comment to your post. That was totally unintentional.

As administrators, we know we can't please everyone. If you agree with our rules, then you're welcome to play. If not, please leave quietly. Game servers are not a place for democracy. They are a place of dictatorship, if that's what the administrator desires.