[Server] Glitchtest

jas
IRC: Freenode

[Server] Glitchtest

by jas » Post

This is an mgv7 Minetest 5.0.0-dev server running on an old machine on a slow network. It features walkie, sneak_jump, backpacks, and shop mods; as well as protector, mobs_redo, 3d_armor, and craftguide.

Address: dcbl.duckdns.org
Port: 30000
Flags: PvP, Survival
Version: 5.0.0-dev
time_speed: 1

There are books that describe different items and peculiarities of the server in-game. The beds can be used to toggle day/night.
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler
Skins as of 20181205
  • Sam II Winter by Jordach
  • Blass by blassdeskywars
  • Blockcolor by Chiantos
  • Cheapie by Lovehart
  • Urotsuki by 2ch
  • Me Only by ourhouseisapie
  • Temerlime by Temerario
Spoiler
Mods as of 20181205
Spoiler
  • /spawn
  • /level
  • /class
  • /gender
Attachments
Glitchtest.png
Glitchtest.png (64.08 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181010_102101.png
screenshot_20181010_102101.png (446.71 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Last edited by jas on Wed Dec 05, 2018 06:07, edited 6 times in total.

jas

Re: [Server] Glitchtest [jas0]

by jas » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20181203_060817.png
screenshot_20181203_060817.png (796.05 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181011_152622.png
screenshot_20181011_152622.png (212.51 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181011_152633.png
screenshot_20181011_152633.png (207.94 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Last edited by jas on Wed Dec 05, 2018 06:16, edited 2 times in total.

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

I cannot join your server for some reason.

The following reason is that it does not support my version even if I use 5.0.0.

How can I change or update my protocol version to 37.

jas

by jas » Post

Yes hello again Enrikoo! Minetest 5.0.0-dev just got a fresh backwards compat breakage! So yeah, we're on protocol 37 now, and you'll have to update your client. The commit: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 1bfcd377e3

Now I'll just go an make sure it's up. I have a lot of stuff to do on this server, but am currently distracted modding some sound stuff.

jas

by jas » Post

Okay, I just updated it so when you craft leather from a backpack with contents, it drops the items to your feet. Unfortunately, it doesn't scatter them around (yet?), which is annoying, but it's quicker than emptying them manually. [Update: I used the velocity/acceleration values from TNT mod, it's pretty funny.] You can then eat the leather, but, it only yields one piece -- I'll have to increase that, especially considering it takes eight to craft one; but then, you get a couple backpacks every time you respawn. [Edit: Well, I increased it to two pieces of leather, I think, but maybe that's too low still. I'd like it to be a random value between two and four, for example.]

And you can eat your bones too, and paper. I haven't been working on this much, lately. Instead, I've been working on a sound mod to play some music. I did this before, it's a fun distraction, but I don't know what will come of it.

Update: Automatic item pickup was added. There is a one second delay from its spawning before the item is picked up by the first player within one node of it.
Second update: Media server was set up (correctly?). Minetest Game was updated, beds now save respawn position. Still want to make a detached player inventory for the bed, and let players lay whenever they like -- and even initiate a vote for day/night skip (skip to night if day, and to day if night). Items disappear after sixty seconds.

Yet Another Update: I added skins, and the shop mod to sell them at. There's only two so far, but I downloaded more from Addi's skin database, and will be adding them right away. If there's any in particular from that site you'd like, let me know. To apply them, just swing it. Once you've used it, it's gone for good.

Update Three: Bug net replaces magic lasso and mob net. Mese crystal replaces mob protection rune. Protector nodes are now crafted with a Mese crystal instead of a gold ingot. The following skins are available so far: sam, dusty, Blass by blassdeskywars, Blockcolor by Chiantos, cheapie by loveheart, Sam II Winter by Jordach, and I have more to add real soon now.

Update Four: Added Cobweb and Hardened Clay from X-Decor. The bed bounces, so replaces the trampoline. The mechanisms are there, but only the stone pressure plate lever, and no wood pressure plate. I'll be adding some more nodes.
Attachments
screenshot_20181023_111633.png
screenshot_20181023_111633.png (369.86 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181023_091617.png
screenshot_20181023_091617.png (256.4 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20181023_130127.png
screenshot_20181023_130127.png (454.02 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181023_130514.png
screenshot_20181023_130514.png (467.34 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181023_131901.png
screenshot_20181023_131901.png (474.01 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

Re: [Server] Glitchtest

by jas » Post

Update: Paper now shows a text field on right click, and you can write a message on there like a sign. A piece of paper with your death location is given upon respawn, too. Changed a few recipes, and maybe something else I forget. Oh, when wielding Paper with text, that text is shown on the player's HUD.
Update 2: Cotton and wheat seeds are now edible.
Update 3: Made some changes to sneak_jump and walkie, hopefully they work okay. Probably won't starve so fast when idle anymore. Some tools craft a stick! Also, there's leveling up which increase player's HP MAX! But, I've not tested it particularly well.Image
Update 4: Added runestone, moonstone, and coalstone nodes from X-Decor.
Update 5: I've added a Mage class, and also I'm trying out a new spawning method for mobs.

jas

by jas » Post

Added a mailbox. It's from scratch, but the idea is from X-Decor -- and it even uses the same textures.

I really want to add multiskin 3d_armor with clothing, but haven't gotten that far yet. I need to redo the collection of skins, anyway. The mage class is still being worked on, but the idea is that he doesn't use tools so doesn't hold them. The wieldhand is invisible because of the punch repeat animation, mostly. There is a cool-down period after shooting a fireball.

I also want to adjust player digging times based on level. I'll have to add buttons for class changing, but for now it's /class <mage|miner> and it resets level. Mage can only hold eight items.

Update: Beds have an 8*3 enderchest, and buttons for setting home, respawn position, and sleeping. I haven't made it so you can sleep/sit anytime anywhere, yet, but it's a start.
Update 2: Alright, I got it to work with real-world time. time_speed = 1 now, and if you sleep or force night skip it toggles +/- 12 hours. [So ignore the text in the screenshot.]
Update 3: Now it's possible to warp to any bed with `warp home_name' in the terminal. You can access the terminal with a Walkie Talkie, an Intercomm, or with the /terminal command (must have priv?). The idea is to make this cost a Mese Crystal (Fragment?). The Spawn and Home teleports will remain free of cost!
Update 4: Got 3d_armor with clothing in. It's not on the HUD, yet, and the armor and clothing formspecs will be moved to the armor stand and loom respectively. Also, there will be some things tweaked/removed/added in the future for the armor(s).
Update 4b: Armor is on the HUD now. And it's off the main inventory, too. There's a button on the loom for setting clothing, and a button on the regular armor stand for setting armor. I'll tidy them up, and add a dedicated "dresser" node for applying both clothing and armor (and skins and storage/management?) There may have been other adjustments.
Update 5: Added a dresser. Right click the placed node, or swing the node while wielding it, particularly in third person camera mode.
Update 5b: Also, added a /gender command. If you played on the server before the dresser was added, you might need to use it to reset your skin. Lastly, there's now a plop sound on join/respawn (I'll add it to teleports too, gotta make a nice way to save/load/manage warps), and a blip sound on chat.
Update 5c: Swing any clothing item to automatically apply it! I'll be adding this feature to the armor items as well, but right now it's break time, because that proved more challenging than I expected! *g*
Update 6: Added a scout class. It has new_move/sneak_glitch by default, and if you sprint it switches to old_move and more speed, etc. I would like to dedicate my sneak_jump mod to Shara now. At the moment, there may be some bugs.
Update 7: I uploaded the Glitchtest game to https://github.com/jastevenson303/Glitchtest
Attachments
gg.gif
gg.gif (532.33 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181123_100416.png
screenshot_20181123_100416.png (736.12 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181121_133852.png
screenshot_20181121_133852.png (249.61 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

The beds now teleport correctly. I made a real mess of the code, but it seems to work alright for now. Maybe somebody can find some bugs.

You name a bed, and can warp to any bed from any bed. This is per-player, but I want to make an option, per bed, to enable public warps. I forgot to add a cost for teleporting, so for now it's free. I'm going to add the warp stone by sofar, and make it a Mese Warpstone, 'cause I love those things.

I still have to fix the [Spawn] / [Set Spawn] buttons, because I made it save/teleport to respawn position, and not static server spawnpoint. It's a conundrum, because I like to set respawn pos and teleport there, but the [Spawn] button on the main inventory is supposed to warp to server spawn point.

[Edit: Come to think of it, I don't use static_spawnpoint. Instead, spawn position - if respawn position isn't set - relies on the spawn mod. For now, I'll just add a /spawn command for quick usage of spawn.on_spawn.]
[Edit2: Oh, and doing `warp <bedname>' from the terminal still works, too.]
[Edit3: Armor can now be applied by swinging it. So that makes all three: skins, clothing, and armor you can use to put on. I forgot shields...]
[Edit4: Thank you to whoever found the "there are no warps" crash in terminal mod.]
Attachments
screenshot_20181127_082418.png
screenshot_20181127_082418.png (77.88 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181127_082413.png
screenshot_20181127_082413.png (76.48 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

Yesterday I learned, that listring[] can be used to go from/to different lists. https://github.com/jastevenson303/Glitc ... 8eb7305R77

Above, a shift-click will send the item to the Input list, and a shift-click on the Input list will send the item back to player's inventory. Secondly, a shift-click on the Output list will send that item to the player's inventory. So, it's directional and can be manipulated! Just thought I'd share. Have a nice day:)

jas

by jas » Post

Added NPC and Zombies, and some new skins.

There are four zombies, but the chances of one spawning are not increased. Instead, one of the four is randomly chosen, if a zombie is chosen at all. Only underground, or above ground at nighttime, and not around protection do hostile mobs spawn. The NPC and rat spawn anywhere, anytime.

The NPC has a persistent detached inventory. I'll use it to sell or trade, but for now he offers free skins. Bye.

jas

by jas » Post

Backpacks can now, finally, save a set name. The name shows both in the infotext of the pointed node, and the description in your inventory. Also, I re-added all the wool colored backpacks.

Right now I'm working on accessing the inventory with an on_use, so it doesn't need to be placed. I've tried a few times before, but I've got a good feeling about this one. Besides, there's some different options here, and one of them is already implemented: Craft two leather from any backpack to throw its contents all around the player.

The other option - besides on_use which I'm currently attempting - is an old idea of using any given backpack as your inventory. Whatever backpack you have on, that is the inventory you have displayed. I tried it before, but I ran into a big brick wall. I may attempt it again soon. Thanks.

Update: Added wool colored beds. Still have to fix some peculiarities with the warping, though.

Update 2: Added colored glass panes. Also, fixed a bug in mechanisms that crashed if player left the server while standing on a pressure plate and it tried close the door with a player argument after the player's gone.

Update 3: WOW! I did it, and it took just minutes. It was a lot easier to do than I thought, and I believe I have itemstack:get_meta() to thank for it. At any rate, a player may now swing a backpack to open it. I really need to add a zipper sound! *\o/*

Update 4: NPCs now trade for items. Video demonstration.
Attachments
screenshot_20181202_234902.png
screenshot_20181202_234902.png (333.5 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181202_234848.png
screenshot_20181202_234848.png (273.35 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

Updated the beds to include Public/Private warps.

Added a node class. Still working on it, though, so will update this post and add a video later. Type /class node to try it out; notice the nametag is invisible, and you inherit the textures of whatever node you punch.

Update: Fixed some bugs, seems to work okay. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I0bl7rUovc
Update 2: Increase range of hand and you now teleport to the location where you tried to place (right-clicked).

jas

by jas » Post

The node class now uses the new "item" visual type, to mirror the node you are camouflaging as. Not all nodes can be mirrored, currently only ones that load before the jas0 mod, and have drawtype of "normal".

I added a Mese Warpstone. It can be used to save your current class and level, so that you may return to it later. Using /class resets your level, so you can place one of these before doing so. Breaking the warpstone restores that class and level, after a confirmation dialog. You may save your current class/level at an already placed warpstone, by paying the cost of one mese crystal. These dialogs/formspecs will be cleaned up soon.

I also threw in a /save command, so that your HP is properly saved and restored when re-joining. Currently, if you run this game in Singleplayer, or host the game using the GUI, you will need to use /save, otherwise register_on_leaveplayer will never run.

There is a very old issue detailing this failing here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/420 and my comment here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/is ... -447238009

Thank you and good luck!

[Update: I am now using minetest.register_on_shutdown to save class and level for any connected clients on shutdown.]

Update 2: I added a diamond warpstone, it replicates the behavior of the original warps mod, but is written from scratch. The mese warpstone's interface has been cleaned up.

I also updated the terminal mod interface, and added `list warps <public|private>' (for easy use of `warp' command). I also added a `set spawn_switch' setting. Typing `set spawn_switch' toggles the switch, or typing `set spawn_switch [on|off]' works as well. When set, the [Spawn] button on the player inventory goes to the server spawn point, instead of your respawn position. [This change is not yet live.]

Update update: The above changes are now live. I also added /sethome, /setspawn, and /home commands. /home does require that the walkie is wielded. /spawn already exists, and always goes to the server spawn location, but if you click [Spawn] in the inventory without a walkie, the game will offer to teleport you to the server spawn instead.

jas

by jas » Post

I had been meaning to work on the NPC Traders for a little while now. A player named m1000 joined today, and mentioned how "generous" the NPCs were. I let him know I'd been meaning to adjust them, and that I was taking advantage in the meantime.

I made the following changes:
  • Try using the chance value for dungeon_loot items.
  • Only select one skin to trade at a time.
  • Shuffle the list.
  • Apply a cost to all items. If a cost is not set manually, the cost is 1.
  • If the value of what you're giving is greater than or equal to that of which you're taking, the transfer is made.
  • The trader now keeps what he takes from you.
  • Item stack counts apply, so ten dirt nodes is equal to a trading value of ten.
  • There's a dialog if the exchange didn't work, which also prevents accidentally hitting the NPC!
Here is a short video demonstration.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-12-16 13-01-49.png
Screenshot from 2018-12-16 13-01-49.png (763.92 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

m1000

by m1000 » Post

It would be useful to somehow know the prices.

Currently you just have to try many-many times until the transaction is successful. Of course it's possible to start from very big amounts but that mean you pay more than needed.

Once you found out the prices, it's easier, but for new players it may be discouraging.

jas

by jas » Post

Yes, thanks. I saw you on, and immediately started doing as you suggest above. I was tired, before, so never got to it. Anyway, there is now a price list. Obviously I have some adjusting to do:

I'm going to work on the transaction dialog more, and make prices more easily guessable \;'D/ Thanks again for the suggestions. I was even thinking about making a way for users to suggest prices, or automatically adjusting based on rate of exchange. Oh the possibilities, lol!

Also fixed a bug where it wasn't actually calculating the cost, correctly (this was the biggest problem).
Attachments
screenshot_20181217_022207.png
screenshot_20181217_022207.png (535.52 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

https://youtu.be/XPyK9AU_2_o?t=120
Made the mechanisms able to warp. Place an intercomm within range, and type f warp <dest> and then you can stand on a pressure plate or pull a lever to warp.

I'm going to make it so it works with some of the other commands, like `say' which sends a chat message to the player.

Also I added a search field to the price list. It's pretty dumb, but it works.

[Edit: Here's another video featuring the warping mechanisms: https://youtu.be/wSfJ7fIY1Lw.]
Attachments
screenshot_20181218_112731.png
screenshot_20181218_112731.png (114.1 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

jas

by jas » Post

My new (old) gravel texture!

It's a composite of a bunch of old/new gravel/cobble textures, but I think it really just looks like the old gravel. Here's the file: Image

* Almost forgot to mention, it drops sometimes coal, iron, tin or a diamond. Probably should adjust the rates.
Attachments
screenshot_20181220_033344.png
screenshot_20181220_033344.png (579.2 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181220_033212.png
screenshot_20181220_033212.png (188.71 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
screenshot_20181220_033204.png
screenshot_20181220_033204.png (453.77 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

cy

by cy » Post

It's a pretty cool server, except for one problem... it's got dungeon masters. On the surface. Each one of their fireballs is equivalent to setting off TNT where it hits, and they spam fireballs. So, any public building gets destroyed. And you have it set so that mobs spawn in areas filled with light. That's literally the only defense against dungeon masters, to light the area up so they don't spawn nearby, and it doesn't work in this server. I'll protect my stuff against players if I have to, but I don't want to lock it under protection just to stop mobs from blowing it up.

It's a neat idea to have mobs spawn near valuable ores, regardless of light levels, but in practice... you can't play the game, because a sixth dungeon master spawned on top of your head while you were randomly mining around trying to find that ore, and destroyed your ladder, so you can't get back up to the surface and you starve to death. I'd like to leave starving to death trapped in the mines to real life, if possible.

Dungeon masters are pretty broken in general. Even creepers, you can keep back with a simple barrier, but dungeon masters just start shooting you right through solid stone. Not even obsidian stops dungeon master fireball explosions, and even if it did, the tnt mod ignores shielding, so you'd need obsidian 3 blocks thick to even think about not destroying anything inside. If you want some insanely difficult monsters done well, try Not So Simple Mobs which also works with mobs_redo.

I mean, NSSM also has mobs that set off TNT blasts from fireballs, but they can only be spawned from finding a single block at y=-32768 at great cost and you only have 120 seconds to defeat them. Oh speaking of blocks there's a hidden dependency for Not So Simple Buildings which really should be listed in depends.txt

m1000

by m1000 » Post

Maybe prevent DMs to break blocks around protectors?

jas

by jas » Post

Thank you for the comments. Dungeon Masters' fireballs use tnt.boom, which checks for protection. This is stated in the comment, something like: "Not have to protect everything just to save it from DMs." If it's daytime, or if there's protection around, then DMs don't spawn above ground.

But I'm more interested in the part where the DM spawns on your head while you're mining. Below ground, they do not spawn around protection, but do spawn any time of day. Light levels aren't being checked, currently.

As for the DM above ground, I never gave it much thought, and had left tuning until I'd given it more consideration, or until someone brought it up in the thread. So now I will give it more thought! Personally, I rarely see the fireball, because the DM is dead before he fires it. And I never use ladders, because I always sneak jump away. I don't expect connecting players to do this, and will look for remedies.

Now as for the fireball going through nodes, I believe this is lag. On LAN, fireballs nearly always explode on contact. On my phone's hotspot, there are occasional misses. The fireball is checking for collision as per mobs_redo API, and I haven't changed this.

Thanks again for the comments and for checking the server out. I haven't touched it in a few days.

cy

by cy » Post

jas wrote:Thank you for the comments. Dungeon Masters' fireballs use tnt.boom, which checks for protection.
I know, I'm just not a big fan of protection. Other players can't use stuff that's protected!
If it's daytime, or if there's protection around, then DMs don't spawn above ground.
Well, dirt monsters only spawn at night because daylight hurts them and quickly makes them despawn. Sand monsters don't get hurt by daylight, but are weaker than dirt monsters to compensate. DMs don't despawn in daytime, and aren't... weaker than anything.
But I'm more interested in the part where the DM spawns on your head while you're mining. Below ground, they do not spawn around protection, but do spawn any time of day. Light levels aren't being checked, currently.
Where's the confusion, then? You think we should protect the areas we're mining in? I'm mining in a well lit area, and occasionally a DM spawns. If he's out of view (or the most annoying literally on top of my head) then I don't notice him until everything's exploding.
As for the DM above ground, I never gave it much thought, and had left tuning until I'd given it more consideration, or until someone brought it up in the thread. So now I will give it more thought!
I guess most players don't get quite as frustrated with protection as I do. I've died to starvation in a 1000 block protected area lots more often than I've died to a DM. I usually just construct stuff unprotected, and if anyone wants to blow it up, and they don't get banned for it, then I use protection. Then I get tired of building protected stuff nobody else can use or help with, and go looking for a server that does ban griefers. Some protection mods you can have shared stuff, but if my stuff's protected, then there's no way to tell if someone's gonna help me before I add them to the trusted list. And the guy who likes my stuff but I'm not online at the time just gives up and starts reinventing the wheel 1000 blocks away.
Personally, I rarely see the fireball, because the DM is dead before he fires it.
If I see him soon enough to attack before he fireballs, with a steel sword I can get him dead pretty quick, but he still has time to fire off one fireball at close range, generally blowing himself up in the process. DMs are supposed to switch to melee at close range, but the code's a little... buggy I guess.
And I never use ladders, because I always sneak jump away.
Yeah, but the devs have been working diligently to destroy anyone's ability to sneak jump for a long time now, so I don't like to rely on it, especially not as difficult they made it currently, with the 2 high air space requirement.
Now as for the fireball going through nodes, I believe this is lag.
I was just talking about if the TNT mod is disabled, so the fireball basically never hits anything, and just eats at your health without any idea what solid wall it's flying through. But that's even worse than blowing up your world, so I always enable the TNT mod, even when I have to include dungeon masters.

jas

by jas » Post

I haven't read all of your message yet, but I will, and will likely respond to individual points. You lost me on "sand monster" and "dirt monster," though, which do not exist on this server.

I don't expect mining players to protect their mineshafts, no. Also, many items can still be used in protected areas, this is a point you and I share.

Bye for now.

[Edit:
And I never use ladders, because I always sneak jump away.
Yeah, but the devs have been working diligently to destroy anyone's ability to sneak jump for a long time now, so I don't like to rely on it, especially not as difficult they made it currently, with the 2 high air space requirement.
It's why I named it Glitchtest, and it's okay to use it. I think you're right [about DMs/mobs being too disruptive], and like I said before I will make adjustments.]

[Second edit:
DMs are supposed to switch to melee at close range
The DMs switch to melee if you're within range, it's only that that range has been reduced, along with view_range. The problem, I find, is that they're spawning in tight quarters.]

[
I'd like to leave starving to death trapped in the mines to real life, if possible.
That may be the main challenge here, because it's not at all unusual to die frequently on this server. It's why I made the bones edible.]

Thanks again for the comments! I really appreciate them all. I'm currently uploading a video where I mine at night for an hour. It went pretty well. People have told me my sneak_jump mod is unusable, or useless, or that it's not possible to survive on my server. In the video I demonstrate it's possible, and shows me leveling up pretty quick. Truth be told, the more active you are, the quicker you level up. So I sort of am cheating by sprinting and sneak jumping all the time, because it makes me starve faster, which makes me level up quicker.

jas

by jas » Post