[Server] Blocky Survival: The unique server

rheo
GitHub: fluxionary
IRC: flux fluxflux
In-game: flux rheo

Re: [Server] Blocky Survival: The unique server

by rheo » Post

@jomunoz/George2020A: that bug looks like a know issue, that the devs will not resolve:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/9428

Do you know which mods were having problems? It seems like we should fix them before we update the minetest engine again.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

rheo wrote:that bug looks like a know issue, that the devs will not resolve:
Absolutely not. If you experience crashes when a player leaves the server, please open an issue on Github so we can diagnose the issue.
The bug report you linked refers to a crash upon server start (before anyone can even join).
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

rheo

by rheo » Post

@sfan5 I'm honestly kind of annoyed that you guys think that changing the mod API with little warning in a way that breaks existing mods is the fault of the mod creators, but I'm not going to argue about this. We'll deal with auditing and patching the mods ourselves.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Every time potentially incompatible changes are made to the API (even if a mod technically does the "wrong" thing), we try to assess the impact of the changes. In this case the breakage was not deemed significant.
If the breakage turns out bigger than expected, we can implement additional compatibility measures. But we mostly rely on user reports for this.
So instead of being annoyed, though understandable, consider helping us coredevs make the right decisions.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

rheo

by rheo » Post

I wish I could help out more, but due to poor health, I really can't. I feel like I'm just treading water keeping Blocky running stably (for some definition of "stable"). That's not your fault. But I feel like a bunch of servers are going to get bit by this issue when 5.2 is released.

jomunoz
In-game: George2020A

by jomunoz » Post

sfan5 wrote:Every time potentially incompatible changes are made to the API (even if a mod technically does the "wrong" thing), we try to assess the impact of the changes. In this case the breakage was not deemed significant.
If the breakage turns out bigger than expected, we can implement additional compatibility measures. But we mostly rely on user reports for this.
So instead of being annoyed, though understandable, consider helping us coredevs make the right decisions.
Thank you Sfan5, for fixing the bug.
I tested the latest master and now works correctly, I closed the issue I have opened in github. I will edit my post.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm kind of on the fence about this issue, but from what I've seen most of the mods that are "broken" by these latest engine changes were not correctly designed in the first place. They made wild assumptions that by sheer luck happened to work even though such usage was clearly never intended, such as calling get_connected_players() during server startup or expecting methods of entities to work right after calling remove(). I think these are all easily avoidable bugs, but due to lazy programming practices they are just now surfacing that the engine includes stricter checks.

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be for the engine to allow the "incorrect" usage for the time being, but to output deprecation warnings into the logs so that these mods can finally be fixed.

rheo

by rheo » Post

The mods were coded against the behaviour of a poorly documented, sometimes inconsistent API. One undocumented behaviour has been replaced with another. Assuming things will stay consistent is not a lazy programming practice, the general quality of the mods notwithstanding.

jomunoz
In-game: George2020A

by jomunoz » Post

Hi rheo,

I created a couple or pull requests for the Blocky Survival mods, I'm putting them here for your kind consideration.

This one is to allow the quarry to dig terumet minerals, and a type of marble: https://github.com/BlockySurvival/bls_custom/pull/3
The second one is just to update the stamina mod to fix a bug with a log call: https://github.com/BlockySurvival/bls_mods/pull/1

Thank you very much for your awesome work.

rheo

by rheo » Post

Hey jomunoz,

Could you post those issues here: https://github.com/BlockySurvival/issue-tracker/issues?

I should really disable the issue tracker on the bls_mods repo.

rheo

by rheo » Post

Scratch that, I was half asleep. Those were PRs, not issues.

saavedra29
GitHub: saavedra29

by saavedra29 » Post

Hello. I accidentally placed an areasprotector:protector_small node. Do you know how can i remove it?
I've tried with hand and pickaxe and it doesn't work.

rheo

by rheo » Post

@saavedra29: you need a steel pickaxe or better to pick it up.

saavedra29

by saavedra29 » Post

rheo wrote:@saavedra29: you need a steel pickaxe or better to pick it up.
Thanks!

saavedra29

by saavedra29 » Post

The anvil doesn't repair a diamond pickaxe, but it repairs fine tools made from iron. Is it supposed to happen or is it a bug?

rheo

by rheo » Post

@saavedra29 That is intentional. The anvil only repairs basic metal tools, you need to use an Equipment Reformer from the terumet mod to repair more advanced items.

saavedra29

by saavedra29 » Post

rheo wrote:@saavedra29 That is intentional. The anvil only repairs basic metal tools, you need to use an Equipment Reformer from the terumet mod to repair more advanced items.
OK rheo, thank you. Unfortunately there is yet no good way to get quick info about a game's element in Minetest that would save time digging in the lua code or in the readme file of the mod's github page. For example i don't know how could i get that info without asking you here.

rheo

by rheo » Post

@saavedra29:
Like most big minetest servers, ours is quite idiosyncratic. There are often other players who will help you out in game chat, though, and there's a "Newb School" at spawn that explains some particular mechanics and mods (though not this tool repair one). Asking in game chat will usually get you an answer.

FrostRanger
GitHub: WulftheNordicRanger
IRC: FrostRanger FrostRanger[m]
In-game: FrostRanger FrostStar
Location: In the untamed wilderness of wherever I happen to be dimension hopping this time...

by FrostRanger » Post

I think the OP needs to be updated. The server has changed a lot since the OP was made and I think it would be good for prospective new players if the OP reflected that.
Sole ranger and ruler of the frozen realms of Cabin Fever and seeker of the ever elusive Dungeon Master...

aleksbuilder
IRC: aleksbuilder
In-game: aleksbuilder

by aleksbuilder » Post

I was finally able to register on the forum. There are several questions that I would like to receive answers to.
As I understand it, the creation of a server map is stuck?
I heard that there will be a change in the server so that it will be able to work with both version 4.16 and 5.0, right?
And the last one: Naturally, admins cannot be online all the time, but sometimes players come to the server who start swearing (some of them specially come for this). Today, for example, there were 2 such players who swore. Could give some old players the privilege of depriving such players of a "voice" in the chat? Or make a script that will automatically rob them of their “voice” for several hours if they swear 2 times in 5 minutes, for example ?
Thanks for answers.
Nice to play on this server )

rheo

by rheo » Post

1) If you mean creation of a image of the map of the server, then yes, I currently don't have the right permissions to be able to do that. It would require either moving the server's map to postgres, or keeping the server down long enough to run the mapping software on the sqlite map file.
2) As far as I know, we won't be moving to the version that allows both 0.4.17 clients and 5.0 clients.
3) That is a reasonable suggestion, I'll try to work on something for that soon.

-Stormyknight-
In-game: stormyknight

by -Stormyknight- » Post

I though I should share this epic screenshot of Blocky Survival's medieval village near the new spawn
Attachments
Medieval Village.jpg
Medieval Village.jpg (947.05 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
'Twas a dark and stormyknight...

BillyS
GitHub: Billy-S
IRC: BillyS
In-game: BillyS

by BillyS » Post

Note, the server hostname is changing from mt.packets4hire.com to mt.krypticbit.com
<SHAMELESS PLUG> Play on my server Blocky Survival! It's unique! </SHAMELESS PLUG>

fexinel

by fexinel » Post

Hi. How i can activate the nether portal?