[Server] Alone in the Wild Land (SE Asia server)

bhree
GitHub: bhree
IRC: bhree
In-game: bhree

[Server] Alone in the Wild Land (SE Asia server)

by bhree » Post

Monsters are now following periodical cycle, building stuff is easier at the beginning and at the end of every month with less annoyance. Monster hunting is recommended in the middle of the month.
There are diurnal and nocturnal monsters, don't go outside at night though.
Currently, there is no manifested admin in the game. I only play as a captain and can't help much. Admin job is done externally.

Server location: Singapore, notice ping time to anticipate lag.

Finally, I wrote something:
This server is my experiment about many things about basic IT practice. So expect instability but it has survived my itchy tinkering hands. I have some serious things to do with this server so I'm expecting the longer-term run.
Spoiler
Humble office built under terror of scorching dragons and spiders bites.

Contact
When I'm not at the office please mail me(bhree) using in-game mail to leave message.
I'm trying to stay on #krambtest channel at freenode IRC which is connected with the game.
Server freenode.com registered Player can login with IRC command: /msg server2 login <playername> <password>
I use to check the in-game time when I don't want to log in at night. It can be done like this, a player login for the first time to the game and find night time, surviving at night is not easier. Player can logout and login to the game using IRC command (see viewtopic.php?id=3905 and viewtopic.php?id=5275 mod for clearer explanation) and check the time without actual login using minetest client. So it is recommended to register nick to freenode https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration server to have /msg feature.
on Discord https://discord.gg/yYQSDqK
Game webmail accessible via browser : http://aitwlminetest.com:8080 use your game username and password

temporarily server2 in #krambtest changed to a random name. I don't know why at the moment, but you can send /msg to chat sender displayed in #krambtest

Code: Select all

to check time: cmd time
to check status: cmd status
etc....
Far away neighborhood
Some people maybe like me do not feel comfortable starting in the middle of a populated city. Some may love the feeling of sharing a world without too much contact. Like in the title I use spawning system which can spawn players very far from the static spawn point. A very little chance player will meet each other giving sense of having private space for anything. People can mine and build as they wish. I even use the world as a playground for kids. I have also prepared teacher and student system for a pedagogical scenario. The days are longer (2 hrs) than nights (40 mins), a player can be more productive at day but still have harder survival at night. If a player doesn't want to spend the night player now can have a longer rest from the game by just quit and visit later or check the time using IRC command. Night and dark may be a bit harder for survival, torch only last one night but can be handled while moving and can be re-posted. This way actually helps in cave exploration, but watch your way as the torch sometimes off by itself. The candle is everlasting which I'm planning to omit or change.

Map
Players only protected by the secrecy of their coordinates, nothing will stop other players from bugging each other. Protect your travelnet boxes to prevent intrusion, hide your name to make tracking less easier and the last prepare weapons in an inevitable situation. The Outer Rim is a special area where no regular player can reach.

warning: Media heavy, may be unsuitable for playing on a mobile phone. I accidentally walk into the lava pit, fighting mobs will also make you really busy.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Earlier Gather
Gather is now better
This is not a spawn point like usual, player comes at this small black boxy building for a little hope.

For those who seek chance meeting other players, some options are available:
1. Go to gather point using chat command /gather, there, a player will find a little piece of civilization. Gather is now adequately defended from mobs to give a little guarantee of safety. A trading system is available where a player can trade items for credits vice versa. Credits will be centrally controlled to prevent inflation. I treat items as hard-earned and deserve price even only 1 credit. New credits will only be issued when I notice significant lost credit from not returning player.
2. Use teleport request /tpr or /tphr where people want to gather somewhere away from others and want to start from nothing. I usually refuse people who want teleport to my place. Sorry for sound selfish but I should keep my office safe to keep everything running.

Economy Model
Spoiler
The marketplace is somewhat like an auction, the lowest price will win the buyer and the highest bidder will get items. A player can check the market for wanted and available items. At the moment I'm buying sticks at the cheapest price. Sticks are free littering the world. If you're near Market Terminal you can sell there. For direct trade when I'm around I can pay using Krambdols that can be converted into online credits at ATM. For those who want to be away from the ATM machine can convert credits back to Krambdol/Minegeld cash to save inside inventory. Like every cash money Krambdol can be exchanged between players directly. But by using cash you'll also have the chance of losing the money when a player died or it can be stolen too. ATM and exchange facilities pieces of stuff are player craft-able, if you're economically established enough, build them for convenience of our digital economy network.

Mobs
I put mobs for sport. A new builder may find starting to build something is not easy, monsters always find ways to annoy the process. I myself find the creative building is boring but at the same time find this server may imbalance as I died half a dozen times before really settled. Expect heavy load but still acceptable according to me. My Atom machine still can play it nice with viewing_range = 20. Playing hide and seek and be patient can be a lifesaver. Mobs are difficult to deceive, but other players may be tricked by hiding your nametag using /hidename. This may feel like FPS games as I'm more familiar with a lot of monsters and PvP like people say, I used to call it deathmatch. The use of strafing, jumping, and the circling technique may be useful.

Getting Resource
Trees are unbreakable by hand, I've been in forests and never find tree breakable by empty hands. An axe may be the only door to further building. A player may mine leaves if it helps to survive. Leaves hide player and can be climbed, and when mined drop sticks and saplings. Rocks can be found when mining soils and sands and usable for crafting tools. But it is up to the player to build the house from dirt and prefer nomadic life. Replant trees as trees are an important resource. Bait worms for fishing are edible, this guarantee survival from hunger. Water, ice block, snow block other than fountains can quench thirst using a wooden bowl or empty drinking glass, be sure to be near a water source or have those nodes at stack.

Spawn System
Something maybe a bit discouraging that set home is not available and people may complain. I'm thinking the game is like a dream and every time a player dies he/she wakes up from it and enter another. Player has his/her own spawn point, before crafting bed, every time a player dies will land back to point of arrival. It will be a little problem if you've walked very far. To really awake (or sleep) a player must build bed or sleeping bag, sleep at night and next time player die will wake on the bed. I'm not sure if sleeping is necessary or just try to sleep is enough. To return to your spawn point use /spawn. When a player dies, claiming bones is easy, as the player can use /showbones to display the last three bones as a waypoint. This will make sure maps also clean from stacking bones.

The idea is this map is trying to be spawn independent. Usually, there is always a spawn area where there the management is more complicated. Spawn area is usually crowded with teleports station, shops and directions. This map is some kind of near DIY level of playing. I'm trying to provide a central facility but it is not a must for every player to come. It may cost you losing some pieces of stuff, so please make a precaution. On arrival it will be up to you to accept or reject a company, you may play until establishing enough earnings. Each player can make his/her own community somewhere in the map by inviting or invited other players. I'm not trying to spy, you are on your own coordinates, I only care system stability. Player or group of players can then build at least a pair of travelnet box to a public known area like GATHER and allow others to visit. Only after you protect your buildings, secure your belongings, etc.
Spoiler
Heads instead of bones
Spoiler
If everything above doesn't stop a player from being resilient then like every human, the limit is the age. I'm not sure about the most suitable ageing speed but everything may be achieved after 30 - 40 years. After that, the player can search for an anti-ageing potion which is quite difficult and expensive to obtain.

Postgresql backend
I'm experimenting using postgresql backend for map and players. I have been using postgresql for some personal projects and I can say it is very reliable. The map will grow larger in a short time and I wonder whether the system will hold. For that I'm using self built minetestserver version 5.0.1 with postgresql, luajit and spatialindex that is the only thing I can do for reliability. All mods are from reading, trial and error from this forum thanks to people here from whom I learn a lot.

The server actually for a personal experiment but can be reached on aitwlminetest.com:40000. May more bugs can be discovered by more players. I'm really sorry that my English may be not good enough, or there may be anything unpleasant.

Rules :
1. Please respect each other, you may settle a dispute in a discussion or PVP, let others with their business.
2. Let's make the atmosphere nice for all people including kids. The environment is maybe unfriendly and selfish but we can befriend here. It is recommended to pick equal opponents.
3. About dating, I know it is romantic but keep the conversation private.
4. The admin plays as player with usual privileges, super admin only visit to fix something.
5. While it is free to build anything but stick to appropriate theme, especially building near gather point.
6. Please don't cheat or use hacked client, we have enough bad people. Cheating harm the world and other people.
7. I follow politics a little bit but avoid attacking, blasphemy to certain individual or party.
8. No asking exhalated privs, everything is doable using basic privs.
Spoiler
War and peace going side by side, inspired player my create many artistic things, let alone the building itself. If you want to disable BG music just type /mvolume 0.
Spoiler
Some mobs are rare and powerful and it feels good to have memories about them.
Spoiler
July 2018:
- Map generated using mgv6
- Added mods for gameplay customization including: mobf, mobf mobs, mobf monsters, nssm, dmobs, mobs animal, mobs monsters
- Applied spawn_usher for random spawn far from each other
- Added hardtrees so trees are undigable by hand
- sticks and rocks are available from leaves
- Established GATHER point at the center of the map
- Added xdecor for decorative option
- Experiment with mg_tectonic mod caused map discontinuity
- Recovered from map discontinuity and consider it as a feature
- Added hardtorch to prevent torch as dominant lighting decoration
- Added fallen trees to make tree nodes fall
- Added and adjusted aging mod

August 2018:
- Added more mods and some tweaking
- Added functionality for auto saving initial spawn point, player will not lose spawn point after dying
- Integrated education system for teacher - student interaction
- Experimenting with weather
- Replaced sfinv with unified inventory
- Added basic_machine
- Added moretrees, moreblocks and moreores

September 2018:
- Map and players db migration from sqlite3 to postgresql
- Added global_exchange for centralized location independent marketplace
- Fixed xdecor - realchess system
- Added nssb
- Fixed hardtorch properly save light status
- Started to use unified inventory plus
- Made unique monetary system using both online credit and cash
- Added rangeweapon

October 2018:
- Upgraded mobs redo and nssm to newer version, monsters don't attack in funny ways
- Fixed nssm functionality like explosive projectiles
- Connected to IRC #krambtest channel
- Added chat_modes for additional chat settings
- Made nssb lighter on system
- Fix some nssb typo and unknown items
- Added trading table for direct barter, better than throwing items to each other
- Register more nodes to circular saw
- Added ponton

November 2018:
- Added display modpack
- Added space mod for moon and asteroids as additional building location
- Added partial mod from marssurvive for anti mobs defense system
- Fixing dmobs dragon hatching and riding functionality.
- Added volcano mod
- Rocks are now distrubuted in dirts and sands not from leaves anymore
- Added morlendor dark water bucket
- Added moon magnet from mod drop_item to attract drop items only while holding the magnet
- Added babelfish bridging in-game online language translator provided by Yandex

December 2018:
- Added AliveAI bot including aliveai_folk NPC
- Fixed some error from AliveAI with original author
- Made wood pick axe obsolete and uncraftable

January 2019:
- Added custom in-game calendar system consist of 30/12 days system.
- Experiment with mobs wave periodicity based on calendar system
- Added basic robot
- Added radiant damage for lava, mese and morlendor dark water
- Added rank based privilege system

February 2019:
- Added radioactive mese for mapgen mese but turn non radioactive when digged
- Radioactive mese is made mese dragon weapon
- Added webmail connectivity, in-game mail accessible from browser
- Added connectivity between IRC and Discord
- Added laptop mod and partial mesecon for dependency

March 2019:
- Upgrade MT server engine to v5.0
- Upgraded basic_machine, 3d armor, login filter and basic robot
- fixed some login related to engine upgrade
- migrated auth.txt to native sqlite3
- Added camo mod for anti player defense system
- Fixed more dragon riding system
- removed mobf and dependants
- Made walk slower but add fast privilege for sprinting while holding special key

April 2019:
- Upgrade engine to v5.0.1(bugfix)
- Hide item list from unified inventory pages to minimize distraction
- Change craft guide recipe as a proof of work
- Added cheaper progressive craftguide
- Remodeled boat from Mineclone2
- Added totem of undying from Mineclone2
- Reenabled armor enchantment

May 2019:
- Split map overworld using fracturerift by Kilarin
- Rain now trigger bonemeal strength 2
- NSSM darts fixed regarding protection
- Added unifieddyes colorizeable unifiedbricks with circular saw support
- Added colorizeable glow glass with circular saw support
- Added colored wood with circular saw support
- Added placeable book
- Now every new day change loud siren will sound at gather
- Added technic chest

June 2019
- Added toolrank with enchanted support
- Mithril grinding now require extractor
- Add wooden bucket and wooden bowl recipe change
- add flowerpot and refer xdecor potted flower to it
- Add enchanting support for shields with strength, speed and gravity
- Now use playerphysics API by wuzzy of MCL2
- Enchanting non-mese exploit patched
- Workbench non-hammer exploit patched
- Some player physics correction and boss fight fix
- Morlendor arenas renewal every new day
- NPC now plants tomato, potato, chilli and corn
- dfcaverns adapted for mgv6
- players drop bones with different head texture

July 2019
- added floating anchor for starting floating base
- face-hugger in space which can infect the player
- flowers are now farmable though decays too
- more skins to choose
- traders are back
- invisibility while stay still
- space suit can be used as an umbrella to avoid sunburn
- players need to wield bones to change skin
- Now armours protect from radiation and sunburn

August 2019
- Add digilines
- Wireless mesecons
- More integration attempt between basic machine, robot, mesecons and digilines
- With character creator for more avatar customization
- Wifi variant mailbox
- Tweaked some weapons speed and accuracy

February 2020
- Change the crafting system for using a crafting table.
Q&A
Q: How many monsters will I encounter in this server?
A: In one night at a peak time, monsters will half an enchanted mithril sword

Q: Where are the cities I can live in?
A: Players have freedom to build their own cities, gather people and defend area.
Last edited by bhree on Thu Mar 12, 2020 00:06, edited 106 times in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Server] Alone in the Wild Land

by Lone_Wolf » Post

This server looks awesome. I'll have to try it soon
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

bhree

by bhree » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:This server looks awesome. I'll have to try it soon
Thanks, please tell me if any problem happen, I'm still searching for bugs and anomalies.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Still testing spawn system for new players hoping now more stable.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Free emergency shelter, no fancy building just enough for temporary hiding. Unprotected 3 stories boxy building with 6 rooms at the West from gather point.
Cost : cobblestones, wooden doors, 1 steel sword and died twice.
Spoiler

bhree

by bhree » Post

Prepping for introductory playground. Need space without PvP and mobs.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Sorry at the moment visiting to the building only by invitation. Some structure still under maintenance. I mostly mine and cobblestone is the most abundant materials. But you may play and build at the server freely. Gather point is still in progress, nothing there, still busy but feel free to visit.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

bhree

by bhree » Post

This server is using hardcore torch viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18376, at first we had glitch of torch doesn't light after player suddenly disconnected. One of our player cmdskp has made changes to the source to fix the problem. I thank cmdskp in this post.

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

here was the hand thing. Image

bhree

by bhree » Post

Wow thankd, i wonder which part of the codes cause it. i thought mods used aren't so many and haven't tested all. Players are very helpful in this case.

bhree

by bhree » Post

I post this to thank Sketch for the tuning mod. This enrich the possibilities of Minetest programming especially related to optimization.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Please don't use explosive energy inside home. There was an incident and I think I forgot to warn.

This was done using 2 life energy globe projectile.

bhree

by bhree » Post

This is not Star Wars :D

Punk

by Punk » Post

I read Robinson Crusoe and I feel like playing Minetest after a long time.
I'll try it!

bhree

by bhree » Post

hi Punk, feel free to try, it is still WIP, problems may still happen. Thanks

[edit] btw, find papyrus, craft a book and make your own Robinson Crose :D

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

Its pretty fun. I love the mobs. Its very tough to get the minerals, so I guess I will focus on getting weapons and armor.

bhree

by bhree » Post

hi lightseer, im trying to accommodate various playing style, but it start with run, hide and strike. Now with some generous players, getting things is easier although the new mobs redo increase difficulties. We can stick to standard miner and builder but some want to be mercenaries or something else. feel free to explore. I may be not too helpful other than restarting the server.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

bhree wrote: Enable remote media server on your client minetest.conf to download media using special media server method this really helps main server offloading transfers.

enable_remote_media_server = true
This is already the default, and has been for ages. No need to put it here.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... gs.cpp#L58

bhree

by bhree » Post

hi sofar, thanks for pointing that out. Though my server isn't high end but managing different task by different service is good for scaling up so I need to put that there, unknowingly it is a default.

bhree

by bhree » Post

This Public Post Office near Gather point was donated by our player Mototank and now as current Postman. Player who is interested in installing a mailbox can contact Mototank.

And the internal view, currently it is still free to place a mailbox here.

catwhisperer77
IRC: catwhisperer777
In-game: catwhisperer77

by catwhisperer77 » Post

New gallery at gather point!

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

Beautiful. You are a pro cat.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

bhree wrote:...This server is my experiment about many things about basic IT practice. So expect instability but it has survived my itchy tinkering hands. I have some serious things to do with this server so I'm expecting longer term run....
I haven't fully tested everything, but this combination of mobs and kit would be a killer app for minetest. Maybe after you have fully tested it and checked the copyrights you will put it forward to be included as a default subgame. Its pretty neat.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Hi lightseer and thanks to catwhisperer77,
there are still some bugs and anomalies need to be rectified. Thank to players they are very helpful and cooperative. I'm learning many things. Once it is stable and conform correct copyright which i reserve them for the rightful owners, i'll share as educational subgame.

bhree

by bhree » Post

Another donation from catwhisperer77 and Mototank, a soccer field, it sure requires PvP agility, but without guns and explosives of course.