[Server] Tunnelers' Abyss

pups

Re: [Server] Tunnelers' Abyss

by pups » Post

Treasure of Moria.

The top treasure hunter team is trailing the hoard!

Let us wish them "Good luck"...
and "Bon appetit" for a dragon:)

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

InitialD wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 13:40
A structure measuring 256x256x320 nodes that took me many weeks, probably months if mining is included, of manual/digtron-assisted solo work to build, was deleted seemingly out of a whim.
The 50 machines at the center where moved to some remote place without a travelnet, the rest of the building is gone.
So far I had good standing on this server, I made many complex, labourous builds, most of which were also public utilities like museums, public machines or node share storages. I did not bad-mouth TA elsewhere or did anything else that would have warranted this. This was my largest build on this server and in general.
"it's no beauty"
admin response
very sad that this was just ignored. beauty is subjective. the worlds in these games are enormous, and there's room for everyone, even to make giant things which take a lot of time which everyone will have a different opinion about. i love sailing too, but what about when an island gets in the way of your sailing, will you remove that too? will you slice a canal through a continent to sail through in a straight line and if anyone's builds get in the way, whatever?

point of these games and when there's a server is for people to play together, build, enjoy each other's creations, etc. this player spent a long time on this build, and as they said, it was their largest build; even if you're an admin, unless it's something which really violates some rules, i think it's just rude and insensitive to remove some large build the player was working on, especially for the highly subjective reasons given. there's plenty of space, no need for childishness like that.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I am not a fan of that decision either. In Hume2's defense, the building was against server rules, but I think InitialD had played plenty long enough to warrant plenty of grace (which ... there was none here), and obviously he put a lot of work into it. :/ I really regret that happened, but at the same time, I can't reverse it.

pups

by pups » Post

A lava alert in Moria.
While lord Nakama, Guill4um and TomBuilder are fussing about...
your humble narrator is eating a chocolate bar:)

pups

by pups » Post

Guill4um's mighty digtron.

A rest at a yellow rock biome.

A conference of Guill4um and lord Nakama at -20k elevation:
Who has drunk all fuel from the tank?

pups

by pups » Post

Andrey01's villa, fulfilled in a fancy style with pillars, arches, cornices and other elements.

The weather is dull:(

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

chef trip wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 07:35
very sad that this was just ignored. beauty is subjective. the worlds in these games are enormous, and there's room for everyone, even to make giant things which take a lot of time which everyone will have a different opinion about. i love sailing too, but what about when an island gets in the way of your sailing, will you remove that too? will you slice a canal through a continent to sail through in a straight line and if anyone's builds get in the way, whatever?

point of these games and when there's a server is for people to play together, build, enjoy each other's creations, etc. this player spent a long time on this build, and as they said, it was their largest build; even if you're an admin, unless it's something which really violates some rules, i think it's just rude and insensitive to remove some large build the player was working on, especially for the highly subjective reasons given. there's plenty of space, no need for childishness like that.
Hello. The reason I ignored that post was the rude tone it was posted in. The conversation started on Discord by InitialD, asking me why the bulk processor got deleted (the second snippet from Discord in his forum post). After my reply, he posted a few more sentences, which are not shown in the snippet for obvious reasons, the rude tone. This made me stop responding to him regarding this situation. I would have provided a proper reason and clarified any doubts if I was asked politely. Maybe I would have even provided a compensation.

I see a hope that you may converse politely, so I will elaborate on the reason, just for you. The crucial circumstance under which I deleted the structure was that InitialD hadn't logged in for more than a year at that time. I was indeed tolerating him that huge structure, as far as he was active. Having known that he would ever return back hating me for this decision, I would have considered an alternative. Please, also take in mind that the structure was so big, so moving it anywhere else wasn't a straightforward operation.

And now let me explain why such structure was unpleasant on this server. We have a rule "Don't build cobble-boxes. Please build realistic and nice builds.". Regarding how the structure looked, it was only a gigantic, hollow shape, made of a single material, lacking any small-scale details. There was nothing inside, except a little spot with technical machines, which was preserved. If you compare it with the other buildings on Tunnelers' Abyss, you figure out that it is way off the scope of common buildings on the server. Another aspect was that it was pretty close to Spawn, so there was a high chance of an explorer hitting it randomly while sailing. Appearing in front of a massive flat wall made completely of a single material is not a good experience, is it? This is why I mentioned sailing, not because I would like sailing that much, but because this was a huge unnatural obstacle for explorers. If I liked sailing that much, I would have, indeed, made the world consist of one huge ocean.

I hope, I explained the circumstances under which I went to such decision. Feel free to ask any questions.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

pups

by pups » Post

lea_argon's cosy igloo home:)

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

After her extended absence, we feel extra privileged to have lea_argon back with us again :-)

A few months ago a thief made away with some stuff from my shop, but attempts to locate her have been unsuccessful so far - if you see a lady with pink hair in a black dress with purple ruffles, please get in touch with your local TA authorities!

pups

by pups » Post

This manual is true as of May, 2023.

Digtrons on the TA server.

Contents.

1. Digtron point.
2. Digtron parts.
3. Digtron assembling.
4. Digtron running.
5. Your first Digtron.
6. Digtron patterns.
7. Matrix.
8. More information.

=========================
1. Digtron point.

What is the digtron?
The digtron is a complex machine that can automatically perform routine work in the game.
You create a digtron by placing blocks as if you build a regular house in the game world.
But a digtron is a "house" that can move.
All adjacent digtron blocks (parts) can go synchronously, accomplishing useful work such as digging or building, and consuming energy.
Having appropriate parts attached, a digtron can dig, build, sow, reap.
There are no limits of digtron designs. Only your imagination can limit your mighty digtrons:)

2. Digtron parts.

A digtron consists of parts (or units) that have to be placed together to form a true machine.
Each part has its own function. All parts together present a digtron.

You can see the list of all digtron parts by typing a word "digtron" in the crafting guide in the game.

Without understanding functions of the parts, you can not construct a good digtron.
Therefore let us study digtron parts closely.

Heads.

We can name this unit also a cutter, a drill, or a digging head.

This part digs blocks of the game world.
That is the head takes a block in front of it and then puts the block into a digtron storage ("Digtron Inventory Storage").
We can call this process "digging". It happens each time when the digtron moves one step.
Heads do not need personal storages attached. A digtron distributes dug blocks among storages automatically. So you can use several heads and only one storage.

"Digtron Digger Head" unit (hard head).

This type of the head is universal. It can dig any solid block.
This head is most suitable for underground mining digtrons.

"Digtron Soft Material Digger Head" unit (soft head).

This type of the head is limited. It can dig only weak blocks. For example wood, leaves, cacti, bamboo, dirt, sand, any plant.
This head is most suitable for agricultural digtrons.

You can run a digtron without heads at all. It is not a necessary part.

Notice. The rules of the Tunneler's Abyss server direct that you must not use more than one hundred digging heads for the digtron architecture.

Engines.

This part converts fuel items into energy for your digtron.

"Digtron Fuel Storage" unit (chemical engine).

This is a chemical engine of a digtron.
You can treat this part as a diesel or steam engine, and as a fuel tank simultaneously.
This part is like a regular chest, you can put and take items.
Load some fuel items into this storage.
Wood, coal, cacti, oil extract, ethanol, methane are suitable chemical fuel.

"Digtron Battery Holder" unit (electrical engine).

This is an electrical engine of a digtron.
Load some electrical sources into this storage.
Red, Green, and Blue Energy Crystals are the best sources of electrical energy.

Digtron can not work without an engine. You have to include an engine to your architecture.

It is not reasonable to attach more than one engine. However, several chemical engines increases the volume of the fuel tank.
But in actual practice a player never needs such a capacious fuel tank.

Storage.

"Digtron Inventory Storage" unit.

Digtron saves dug blocks into this unit.
Periodically you should take out accumulated items and place them into regular chests at your base.
The unit is compatible with mesecons injectors, so you can use tubes and automation to transport items, when the digtron is idle.
Also, the storage is used by "Digtron Builder Module" to consume needed blocks.

Usually, a digtron needs several storages in order to keep all blocks and items.
However, the storage is not a necessary part.

Controller.

"Digtron Automatic Control Module" unit (controller).

This unit is responsible for digtron moving.

This is the most important part of the machine.

Primary parameters.

"Cycles" text field.
Here you should set a number of steps that the digtron has to perform before automatic stop.
Note that your digtron can stop before the planned point, because of some factors from the environment such as water, lava, the emply fuel tank, large natural rifts or caves.
In order to stop a running digtron, you should perform a right click on the controller.
Type "10" for your first digtron.

"Delay" text field.
Here you should set a number of seconds that the digtron spends for one working step.
In fact this is the speed of the machine.
The larger digtron is, the longer delay you should set, in order to decrease the server load.
Notice. The rules of the Tunneler's Abyss server direct that you must add at least one second delay per each twenty digging heads.
Type "2" for your first digtron.

Seconary parameters.

"Slope" text field.
Known only to Guill4um:)
Type "0" for your first digtron.

"Offset" text field.

"Stop Block" socket.
If the socket "Stop Block" is not empty, the digtron stops working when it meets the stated block in front of a digging head.
Leave empty for your first digtron.

Buttons.
Button "Set" saves current parameters so you will see them at the next access.
Button "Set & Execute" saves current parameters and run the digtron immediately.

In fact the button "Set & Execute" is the main "red" button of a digtron, because this button starts up a machine.
Always be careful pushing this button:)

Direction.
The direction is a very important feature of the controller.
A digtron moves always according this direction as if a flying arrow.
How to know the direction?
A controller has the side where you can see four small tiles or ears. This side is a feathering or a tail of the arrow.
Hence the opposite side of the controller is the tip of the arrow.
If you look at the side with four small tiles, the digtron will move away from you when active.
If you rotate the controller by a screwdriver tool so that the arrow is vertical and the tip aims into the ground, the machine will dig a vertical shaft.
Crafting a complex digtron, you can attach several controllers to your machine with various directions, and then drive the digtron using these controllers alternately.

The controller is a necessary part of a digtron. You have to mount at least one controller.

Builder.

"Digtron Builder Module" unit.

This part is intended to place blocks.

You can easily build long roads or walls using this part.

"Block to build" socket.
Here you should insert an item or a block that is going to be placed in the game world when the digtron works.
You may insert a seed if the digtron is intended for sowing a field with a crop.
The machine will take the blocks from "Digtron Inventory Storage" units.
Make sure that the item or the block is present in a sufficient number.
The digtron stalls if it can not find the stated building block in the storage.

"Extrusion" text field.
Type "1" for your first digtron.

"Periodicity" text field.
Type "1" for your first digtron.

"Offset" text field.

"Facing" text field.
This parameter can rotate the item before placing.
It influences on building blocks and items such as torches, seeds, thin panels.
Try an experimental way to find out the function of this parameter, if you have troubles.

Buttons.
"Save & Show" button. Known only to Guill4um:)
"Read & Save" button. This button saves current parameters.

The builder is not a necessary part of a digtron.

Rotator.

"Digtron rotation axle" unit.

This part, having been attached to the digtron, allows you to rotate all the machine on the angle of 90 degrees per each right click.
The actual axle can be either horizontal or vertical. It depends on how you place the unit.

Note, you do not need to have any part of the digtron always afloat.
Instead, you should attach a needed part, use it, and detach it again.
So the best way to use unnecessary parts is: attach, use, detach.

The rotator is not a necessary part of a digtron.

Towing.

"Digtron Pusher Module" unit.

This part resembles the controller "Digtron Automatic Control Module" at the first glance.
But the pusher has neither a menu nor automation. It has only the direction.

This part is intended for emergency moving.
When you use the pusher, the digtron moves through one block per each right click.
Moreover, the digtron does not consume fuel, and can not use digging heads.
The pusher is like an old-time car handle. We can move a vehicle, but very slowly and awkwardly, just to turn it within a garage before repair:)
However, sometimes the pusher is very useful, especially for your testing digtron models.
It is reasonable to use the pusher according the scheme: attach, use, detach.

The pusher is not a necessary part of a digtron.

Lighting.

"Digtron Light" unit.

This is just a lamp that facilitates labour of an industrious tunneler at dark depths of the underground world:)

The lamp, of course, is not a necessary part of a digtron. But it is a very advisable part, which should be mount generously.

Neutral parts.

"Digtron Structure" and "Digtron Panel" units.

These parts do not have special working functions. That is why they are called "neutral".
However, these parts are very important. Because a player uses them to connect other parts together and create a desired shape for a digtron.
No one quite complex digtron can be assembled without these units.
Also, these parts are important to avoid slipping of a digtron.
Note that "Digtron Structure" is climbable like a regular ladder.

3. Digtron assembling.

Any digtron block must have at least one other digtron block close to any side but a corner.
If you want a construction to become a digtron, you have to place all blocks together.
Mostly, in order to connect all blocks, you should use special neutral parts "Digtron Structure" and "Digtron Panel".
Press "shift" while placing parts close to units with an internal menu such as storage boxes, building modules, controllers.

"Screwdriver" tool.

This is a very important tool. It can rotate units around horizontal and vertical axes.
You never assemble a complex digtron if you do not have the screwdriver tool.

"Digtron Locked Crate" and "Digtron Crate" tools.

This is a box where your digtron is kept.
Using a crate you can carry a digtron in your inventory.
A digtron of any size occupies only one block being within a crate.

In order to pack a digtron, place an empty crate close to any digtron block, and perform a right click on the crate.
The digtron will all move into the crate.

In order to unpack a digtron, open the menu of the crate by a right click, and then use "Unpack" button.
Unpacking of a digtron succeeds only if blocks of the machine replace air blocks.
Otherwise the digtron remains within the crate.

4. Digtron running.

The controller "Digtron Automatic Control Module" is responsible for digtron moving.
It designates the speed (the number of seconds per one step) and the direction of the moving.
A player starts up a digtron by clicking the button "Set & Execute" from the controller menu.
If your digtron does not have a controller, you can not drive the machine.

If you want to stop a running digtron, just perform a right click on the controller.

Also, note, that a digtron can not turn automatically. Only a player can turn a digtron.

Traction.

Sometimes a digtron slips for lack of traction. The machine can not move in this case.

Why does this happen?
A digtron, like a real wheeled vehicle, should have a sufficient contact with adjacent solid blocks in order to go.
Any digtron block can treat as a "wheel" that propels the machine.
If too many digtron parts ("wheels") have the contact only with air or another machine part, the digtron will slip.
The problem can happen when your digtron is trying to pass over pits, rifts, caves.
Also the problem appears if the environment changes sharply when a digtron, working say along tunnel walls, comes out from the tunnel to open air.

In order to avoid the slip you should attach more neutral parts (such as "Digtron Structure" and "Digtron Panel") to the architecture, so that these parts touch as many solid blocks (stones, dirt, sand, bricks) as possible.
Note that any digtron part affects the traction. Therefore you can use not only a floor but also walls and even a ceiling to increase the traction.

When you aim the game cursor at the controller, you see the information that includes some description of current problems.
Do not negleсt this information of the controller. It will help you very much in the game.

Energy.

Like any machine a digtron consumes energy in order to work.

Chemical fuel.

The easiest way is to extract energy from fuel.

Make sure that your machine has enough fuel in "Digtron Fuel Storage" to accomplish planned tasks.

At the first you should choose fuel intuitively. Any flammable items serve as fuel.
For example wood of any type, leaves, oils, coal, cacti. Also you can use ethanol and methane.

Later you should investigate fuels in the game to find out the best choice.
Some forms of matter are better than others, for example coal of a dust form is more energy effective than coal of a lump form.
Methane contains less energy than say ethanol, but on the other hand methane has a very dense stack of almost one thousand items.

Always try to find out whether derivative products exist.
It is not difficult, using the crafting guide in the game.
Clicking on the icon of the item changes recipes between "how to obtain it" and "where is it needed".
Do not forget to use arrows when the item has several recipes.
For example it is more efficient to burn oil extract (oil from leaves) than original plain leaves.

Electricity.

Electrical power is a more progressive way to supply a digtron than chemical fuel.
However, it is a more complex way, because it requires creating an electrical power plant.

Energy Crystals are the only convenient electrical sources for a digtron so far.
Blue Energy Crystal has the highest energy, Green Energy Crystal has a middle energy, Red Energy Crystal has the lowest energy.
"RE Battery" can be used too. But this item contains utterly little energy.
Of course you can craft and use many batteries at once filling all sockets of "Digtron Battery Holder", but it is not a convenient way.

You should use a Battery Box machine within your electrical net to charge Energy Crystals in advance.
Then you should load the crystals into "Digtron Battery Holder".

5. Your first Digtron.

The best way to learn digtrons is practice.

Let us consider how to craft and run an elementary digtron.

We are going to craft a small mining digtron, which is intended to dig a horizontal tunnel of two blocks height.
Pick a convenient place that has a rock wall to test the digtron.
Also you can build an artificial wall at your base as a training ground.

In order to create your first digtron you need the following stuff:

1) "Digtron Digger Head" (2 items)
2) "Digtron Inventory Storage" (1 item)
3) "Digtron Fuel Storage" (1 item)
4) "Digtron Automatic Control Module" (1 item)
5) "Digtron Light" (1 item)
6) Coal lumps (5 items)

When you have the parts, come to a rock wall and perform the follwoing instructions:

1) Place all the parts according the figure.
Two heads are close to the wall, one above the other.
Then you put the inventory storage, the fuel storage, the controller.
As you can see, your digtron is like a motorbike:)

2) Open the menu of "Digtron Fuel Storage" (by a right click), and add the coal lumps into the storage.

3) Open the menu of "Digtron Automatic Control Module" (by a right click).
Type "5" into "Cycles" text field, and type "2" into "Delay" text field.
Then click "Set & Execute" button.

The digtron will run five steps, smoking with black clouds, and stop, having dug a short tunnel in the rock wall.
Then you can set more cycles to dig the tunnel further, or dismount the digtron, digging its parts by the hand.

6. Digtron patterns.

There are no limits for digtron destinations.
Some clever players have managed to create a space rocket digtron and fly on it:)
We can distinguish the most popular designs.

Mining digtron.
Such a machine can dig rock deep under the ground like a mole, collecting ore into storages.

Agricultural digtron.
Such a machine can sow a field with a crop, and then reap an abundant harvest.
Note that digtron parts mar tilled dirt blocks. That is why you should use elaborate designs for this type of digtrons.

Building digtron.
Such a machine can build towers, walls, walkings, roads, railroads, tunnel lining, etc.

Multipurpose digtron.
Such a machine can combine several functions.
For example it can dig tunnel by its front side, and at once create lining, place lamps, lay rails, by its rear side.

7. Matrix.

The Tunneler's Abyss server has a special technology in order to slow down the digging speed.
At the first all unexplored blocks present so called Matrix.
That is just a black-green block resembles the famous style of one well-known film.
These matrix blocks, if dug, yield only trash by way of "0" and "1" digits in the inventory.
Matrix blocks become regular ones, having been punched once by the hand or a tool.
Also light of a torch can promote the transformation.
Of course you should load all blocks before digging. Otherwise you can dig just a tunnel without ore profits.

Therefore you can not collect much ore by a digtron just using a huge shield of digging heads.
In the game you need to invent an elaborate digtron model that can avoid digging of matrix.
Such a machine should dig loaded blocks gradually, slice-by-slice. Digging front blocks the digtron should simultaneously load rear blocks in order to dig them during the next trip.

8. More information.

Useful web-links by which you can find more information about digtrons.

Minetest Wiki about Digtron

Minetest Forum about Digtron

Youtube Search about Digtron
Last edited by pups on Thu Nov 16, 2023 08:48, edited 4 times in total.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Wow, fantastic manual, pups! Thank you for taking the time to write this out: greatly appreciated.

pups

by pups » Post

Conan_Barbarius is building Cardinal Docks.

A view of a giant seaport crane, unloading barrels full of ale for hobbits:)

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Vanilla was finally discovered on the server!

pups

by pups » Post

Inventor n0m is working at his office.

Other_Cody
In-game: Other_Cody

by Other_Cody » Post

There is also a wiki for this server now.
https://tunnelers.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

Hume2 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 16:18
chef trip wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 07:35

Hello. The reason I ignored that post was the rude tone it was posted in. The conversation started on Discord by InitialD, asking me why the bulk processor got deleted (the second snippet from Discord in his forum post). After my reply, he posted a few more sentences, which are not shown in the snippet for obvious reasons, the rude tone. This made me stop responding to him regarding this situation. I would have provided a proper reason and clarified any doubts if I was asked politely. Maybe I would have even provided a compensation.

I see a hope that you may converse politely, so I will elaborate on the reason, just for you. The crucial circumstance under which I deleted the structure was that InitialD hadn't logged in for more than a year at that time. I was indeed tolerating him that huge structure, as far as he was active. Having known that he would ever return back hating me for this decision, I would have considered an alternative. Please, also take in mind that the structure was so big, so moving it anywhere else wasn't a straightforward operation.

And now let me explain why such structure was unpleasant on this server. We have a rule "Don't build cobble-boxes. Please build realistic and nice builds.". Regarding how the structure looked, it was only a gigantic, hollow shape, made of a single material, lacking any small-scale details. There was nothing inside, except a little spot with technical machines, which was preserved. If you compare it with the other buildings on Tunnelers' Abyss, you figure out that it is way off the scope of common buildings on the server. Another aspect was that it was pretty close to Spawn, so there was a high chance of an explorer hitting it randomly while sailing. Appearing in front of a massive flat wall made completely of a single material is not a good experience, is it? This is why I mentioned sailing, not because I would like sailing that much, but because this was a huge unnatural obstacle for explorers. If I liked sailing that much, I would have, indeed, made the world consist of one huge ocean.

I hope, I explained the circumstances under which I went to such decision. Feel free to ask any questions.

fair enough, and it's your world after all, and he did appear to violate the rules, but it is a pretty neat looking scifi type build, looks like an alien mothership, and who knows maybe he would have worked on it some more and finished it someday; procrastination is human.

i do like sailing and i love this server specifically because of the vastness of the bodies of water and oceans in it, and the big mountains too, which i've never seen anyplace else.

thanks for your server, and for taking the time to respond.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Other_Cody

by Other_Cody » Post

Rules
Spoiler
This server is hosted in the Czech Republic. Any illegal activity will be banned.
Protect your buildings against griefers.
No griefing, no stealing. If it's not yours, just let it be.
No TNT above -100m
No spamming, no screaming. You don't have to repeat yourself.
Perverts will not be tolerated.
If you build in a jagged landscape, you do not flattern it. There is a lot of flat plains all around.
If you find any bug, tell it to the admins.Using glitches is considered hacking.
No deliberate lag sources
Don't build cobble-boxes. Please build realistic and nice builds.
Useless protections will be deleted.

Don't leave flying parts of trees. Punch them down completely.
Do not needlessly cuss.
Do not build floating platforms! If you build on a sea, it has to be either a boat or it has to be connected to the sea bed in a realistic way.

Found an issue or bug? Report it: https://gitlab.com/tunnelers-abyss/tunnelers-bugz
Join our discord community! https://discord.gg/UUVAQBr
DIGTRON RULES: 100 heads or 100 dual heads max size. Add a second to the delay for each 20 heads. Note: This is to prevent the digtron from corrupting!
Provocaters and spammers might be shadow-muted, which means that their messages will be displayed only for themselves.

Other than that, have fun here! You are joining a fun & friendly community. Please also be a (good) part of it.
There is also a book at spawn by the title of
"
What no cracking!
"
Spoiler
What may be the rule about no hacking.
I think it may not be about hacking your own computer, but the server's computer.

You may not use things like "fly" or "noclip" without those privs.

You may say that is not fair, but you can now think of it this way...

If you have a phone or mailbox and other people put unwanted mail in your mailbox, than maybe one time it may be okay, but if you asked them to stop and the people did not stop, it may fill your inbox with things you do not wish to have in it.

If players use "fly" and "noclip" without the privs it may fill the server with unwanted actions that the server owner does not wish it to fill with.

So some server may allow many ways to play and some may offer less ways,
but if some servers wish to make a more realistic server that is why
those servers may ban or restrict the use of those privs.

Though those privs may help the admins to clean up problematic parts fast and than may be used by administrators and moderators to make a clean area so players can still play.

But you may say I was not using those privs for cheating or destructive behavior.

You can now think of it this way...

If you owned land and someone used a remote controlled vehicle to fly
over and see your land and "noclip" into your home or use thermal imaging
to see into it, you may ask them to stop spying on you.

If those people did not stop you may not like that.

So sending unwanted signals into a server may sometimes be sending signals to bypass privs, and it may help if you do not send those signals to bypass privs so the server use can be enjoyable for everyone.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

pups

by pups » Post

It is a well-known fact that the TA server has the best developers of bugs:)

Can you find a developer's house on the picture?

[tspoiler=Answer]

A developer's house:) Do not disturb the genius while they are coding bugs:)
[/tspoiler]

Why does the "spoiler" tag not work for me? The TA's developers must have hacked the forum:(

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

pups wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 03:50
Why does the "spoiler" tag not work for me? The TA's developers must have hacked the forum:(
In my mod topic it has stopped working properly too. There is an assumption some phpbb crooked update occured and that became to break new or lately edited tspoilers.

pups

by pups » Post

This is warpnarget's underground garden. Unfortunately it is incomplete:(

pups

by pups » Post

Unfortunately this is one more incomplete project. It belongs to De_Vince player.

Here we can see something great! The site resembles a huge interstellar ship!

It has a size comparable with a whole town.

An observant player can note a building digtron on the top of the construction.
Of cource it was a wise decision to use machines for realization such a great architectural idea.
(If you have not found the digtron yet, search it near a light-grey pillar on the left side of the sky opening.)

On the next picture we can see a building crane, a teleportation booth, and a large seamless glass wall on the right. And that same wonderful design everywhere.

It was already mentioned that the project is not complete. Most probably it is frozen for good, and the current appearance will remain as it is forever.

Is this bad when we see a deserted site? I do not know.
Such an abandoned place has its own charm. We can dream about aliens from far stars who had come into our world and then suddenly left us for unknown reasons:)

pups

by pups » Post

November, 2023.

This is a review of trading capabilities of the server.

Trading on the TA server.

Any advanced server always has an economical aspect of the gaming process.
That is players can sell and buy goods.

The Tunnelers' Abyss server has several economical levers in order to make the game interesting, namely:
1. Money.
2. Shops.
3. Auction.

==========
1. Money.

In order to facilitate trading the server has so called Abyssal Bucks (AB).
A player obtains five AB every day in the game, only if they place or dig blocks during the day.
The earned AB gets into a player's inventory automatically.
If the inventory is full, the money falls near the player on the ground.

A player can deposit AB with the bank in the game.
There is no interest. The bank just saves a player's money so that their inventory would have more free space.
The most important point is that the bank enables a player to use the auction, because only non-cash money suits bidding.

You can always find these boxes at the spawn.
From the left to the right:
1) Auction box (greenish colour).
2) Transfer terminal (grey colour).
3) ATM box (Automatical Teller Machine) (yellow colour).

When you want to use a box, perform a right click on it, and its menu appears.

Auction box.
This apparatus admits you to the auction, and serves your bidding over other players for goods available on the auction list.
Of course you can place your own items on the auction in order to sell them for the highest price.
You can use only non-cash money for bidding, so make sure that your deposit has a sufficient amount of money for your auction business.
This box is not necessary, because you can get to the auction via the button in your inventory, or by the command "/auction" in the game chat.

Transfer terminal.
This apparatus serves sending non-cash money from your deposit to another player's one.
This way you can conveniently pay goods and services of other players.

ATM box.
The most useful box in this row is yellow, namely ATM box, that is your bank vault or bank cell.
ATM stands for Automatical Teller Machine.
This apparatus serves your access to the deposit.
You can move your money from the bank into your inventory, converting non-cash into cash, and vice versa.
The auction requires only non-cash, while shops require cash.

==========
2. Shops.

A player can build their own shop by crafting and using the smartshop box.
The smartshop box requires cash money for work. Although you (or your client) can use items, instead of money, to pay, depending on settings of the smartshop.

Also, the owner of the shop should craft the ATM box and place it at the shop, so that clients could easily take cash from the bank.

And, of course, a player can visit other players' shops all over the server via teleport booths.

Here we perform some review of shop interiors in the game.

----------
1) Admins' shop.

This is not the best shop in the game:)
We should note this shop because of its great account for the currency of the server in whole.

The fact is that Admins' shop sells some unique and useful articles, and these articles can not be crafted by a player or found on the map. For example, the wrench tool, the trolley tool, the car, and others.

And the very unique articles serve as the basis for the gaming money, AB, supporting the value of Abyssal Buck!
When a player knows that they can always spend AB in Admins' shop, AB has the value.

----------
2) melum's shop.

This is a large universal shop.

We should particularly note the section of dinosaurs.
A customer can purchase a dinosaur egg, from which a baby dinosaur will hatch:)
Also a visitor can buy fossil blocks, from which a dinosaur DNA can be extracted.
Tools and other articles concerned with dinosaurs feature in this interesting section.

Moreover, if you have a difficulty in choosing a dinosaur, you can visit melum's dinosaur park using the teleport booth in the shop.

Also the section of metals and gems looks very nice.

----------
3) n0m's shop.

This shop is called "Big Digtron Shop". Because it offers these notable machines.

You can find here not only digtron parts and fuel but also completely ready digtrons, which you can examine in the large room of the shop before purchasing.

This player has another shop that offers various stone blocks. The design of the shop is noteworthy.

----------
4) nakama's shop.

You can buy a nuclear bomb in this shop:) This fact makes this shop the best all over the server:)

However hobbits do not approve of this shop, because the ceiling is so low that even hobbits can not wear halloween hats there! What a shame!

Although the prices in nakama's shop are lower than its ceiling:)
That is why this is the best shop over the server, joking aside.

----------
5) CalebJ's shop.

Just a good shop sited deep under the ground. It has a quite good set of articles, and low prices.

----------
6) penguins' shop.

This is just a very good shop.

----------
7) TomBuilder's shop.

This shop has a mediaeval style, and offers a lot of brick types.

----------
8) Josselin's shop.

You can purchase pets in this notable shop.
The building has two floors and very many animal species.
The player has placed the itemframe above each smartshop box in order to highlight the appearance of the animal.

----------
9) Amie's shop.

The shop offers trunks, leaves and saplings of countless species of trees existing on the server.

----------
10) OnePlayer's shop.

This shop is interesting because there is a real trunk near each smartshop box so that clients can know the appearance of the wood before buying and growing the tree.

----------
11) Andrey01's shop.

This is a grocery shop. You can find there a lot of food, and also seeds to grow your own food.

----------
12) zua's shop.

This is just a good universal shop. The player has used the large posters in order to distinguish the sections of the shop.

----------
13) hasuf's shop.

This shop has a very interesting interior.

----------
14) BernieB's shop.

Another interesting interior of a shop.

Of course, this is not a full list of good shops, which you can find on the server.

==========
3. Auction.

The auction helps players to sell goods for the highest possible prices on a competitive basis.

The goods, which a player wants to sell, form so called "lot".
There is a list of lots on the auction.

Each lot waits some time (usually several days) for players' bids.
A player, who has bidden the highest price, wins the lot.
If a lot has no bids at all, the goods will return to the creator of the lot after the end of the trading period.

There are two types of the auction:
1) English.
2) Dutch.

The english auction means that a lot will be open during the stated trading period in full.
Only the end of the trading period can dismount the lot from the auction.
And the creator will obtain the highest possible payment.

The dutch auction means that the first bid wins the lot at once!
So the first player who will see the lot can win it.
In this case the creator of the lot will not obtain the highest possible payment, but on the other hand the trading period will often be very short.
That is why you should use the dutch auction if you want to sell goods as fast as possible, ignoring profits.

You can get to the auction via the yellow triangular button in your inventory, or by the command "/auction" in the game chat.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I love this, nice to see a lot of well known shops getting attention! Great manual, pups :-)
Quick note on some of the shops:

(1 (Admin Shop) - This has been here since the beginning of the server and has seen a few makeovers. It is very nostalgic and quite a bit of money has never seen light again at these shops, mostly because of the expensive payment-only items, like the Prospector Mk2.

(2 Melum's Shop - Used to be quite an important shop in the economy in late 2022 to early 2023, before the rise of nakama's shop. Now, the abandoned shop serves as an interesting comparison at how much prices have tanked in the past year - some prices are over 10x what nakama now sells things for!

(3 N0m's shop - This has been quite a good shop for almost three years, and frequently gets customers. Digtron designs, machines, and other things can be purchased here, and although the prices are not completely competitive with other current markets, the shop still sees quite a few customers because of it's sleek design and attractive items.

(4 Nakama's shop - Currently the best prices, hands down, in the server. The prices are even lower than the ceiling, indeed. Just about everyone shops here nowadays, and for good reason: Tunnelers' Abyss has simply never seen cheaper prices. Penguins shop, and Yaraqasem's shop, are good competition to this shop currently, but still find it hard to keep up with!

(4.1 Flux's old shop - This used to be the old shop of TA, where just about everyone went to, for almost two years before flux departed to another server and summoned the rise of nakama. It was completely removed, but the skeleton of the shop still exists in the Grapeyard Superb Mall.

(5 CalebJ's shop - An ancient shop, originally owned by LadyK and myself, when the public mine was first opened. Since then, it has morphed and changed to suit the demands of customers, but the design of the shop has never changed.

(6 Penguins' shop - A very competitive shop on the server, with machines (some are the cheapest on the server), tools, and more. This is very likely the oldest competitive shop on the server, being built only a few weeks into the server's runtime, and it has been in service ever since.

(7 TomBuilder's shop - All your brick needs can be supplied here - prices are pretty good and you can negotiate with Tom usually if you want a bulk price. The shop design itself is spectacular, so it doubles as a tourist location.

(8 Josselin's shop - Josselin created many of these exchange shops in Fractal Plains, as well as a stone/dirt and wood/saplings shop. They are over 4 years old now, and they've seen a LOT of business in that time - they're usually pretty well stocked, as well.

(9 Amie's shop - This shop is unfortunately mostly abandoned at the present, but used to be one of the most visited shops in the flux era. It stocks just about every sapling type, as well as fruits, wood, and leaves, although it is mostly sold out now. mpx42 has followed in Amie's footsteps, creating a new sapling shop on his travelnet.

Other important mentions:

Yaraqasem's shop - A somewhat new and very popular shop, with competitive prices on many items. This store has stolen quite a bit of business from nakama because of the good prices.

ThisOldBlock's shop - He has multiple ones, but his farming shop is especially very good, with large stocks of farming goods for competitive prices. This shop has diverted a lot of the business from Andrey01's shop to ThisOldBlock's shop, but the prices remain very similar!

pups

by pups » Post

"Flux's old shop - This used to be the old shop of TA, where just about everyone went to, for almost two years before flux departed to another server and summoned the rise of nakama. It was completely removed, but the skeleton of the shop still exists in the Grapeyard Superb Mall."

Unfortunately this shop has been totally dismantled by Flux:(
Anyway Flux is a legend of the TA server:)
I visited their shop very often in the beginning of my play on the server.

I admit that I have missed many actual shops.
Because that is not a directory of shops, it is just a review of shop interiors.
The point of the chapter "Shops" is to involve new players in building shops.
The chapter just shows interiors of some existing shops on the server.
In order to explain new players how they could design their own shops.

Other_Cody

by Other_Cody » Post

I saw a book by a player on this server called w_laenger.

I did not check the code well yet to see if it was joke code or not.

I think it shows
How to get the fly privledge
by w_laenger

This book explains a way to get fly, fast, noclip, debug and interact privileges
without modifications of the Minetest client and without a server moderator
granting these privileges.

# Requirements

* A GNU/Linux operating system
* A Python3 interpreter
* The `base64` program, which is part of GNU coreutils

# Steps to get the privileges

1. Paste the following Python3 code into a file and execute it with `python3`:
```
import socket
import selectors

s1 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
s1.bind(("127.0.0.1", 4446))
s2 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
s2.bind(("", 4447))
addr_client = None
sel = selectors.DefaultSelector()
sel.register(s1, selectors.EVENT_READ, "to_server")
sel.register(s2, selectors.EVENT_READ, "to_client")
while True:
for key, mask in sel.select():
if key.data == "to_server":
data, addr = s1.recvfrom(4096)
addr_client = addr_client or addr
s2.sendto(data, ("37.46.208.34", 30000))
else:
data = s2.recv(4096)
if addr_client:
s1.sendto(data, addr_client)
```

2. Start Minetest and join the server at host 127.0.0.1, port 4446, with
username and password of the Tunneler's Abyss server.

3. When the joining has finished, open a terminal and execute the following
command:
```
echo "T0V0AwABAAEAQQAFAANmbHkABGZhc3QABWRlYnVnAAZub2NsaXAACGludGVyYWN0" | base64 -di > /dev/udp/127.0.0.1/4447
```

4. Enjoy the privileges

# Explanation

The above Python3 script acts as an UDP proxy.
It forwards packets arriving at 127.0.0.1, port 4446, to the Minetest server
with source port 4447,
and packets arriving at port 4447 to the Minetest client with source port 4446.
The script sets the address of the Minetest client to the address of the first
connection attempt at port 4446, so after leaving the Minetest server,
the script has to be restartet before joining again.

The command in step 3 performs a Man in the Middle attack.
It sends a forged TOCLIENT_PRIVILEGES packet to port 4447,
thus to the Minetest client.
This packet contains the following information:
* The 32-bit Minetest version 0x4f457403, which is the start of all
Minetest-related UDP packets
* The 16-bit Peer ID of the server, which is always 0x0001
* The 8-bit unused channel value 0x00
* The 8-bit packet type 0x01, which indicates that the content follows next
(and not sequence numbers or something similar)
* The 16-bit TOCLIENT_PRIVILEGES enum value 0x0041
* The 16-bit number of privileges: 0x0005
* The privileges, which are each encoded with a 16-bit length followed by this
length number of UTF-8 bytes, e.g. length 0x0003 followed by 0x666c79 for the
`fly` privilege

The server may send a TOCLIENT_PRIVILEGES packet, too, for example if a server
moderator grants or revokes privileges.
To get back the five above-mentioned privileges after this happens,
it is sufficient to execute step 3 again.

# To-client network packet examples
## Send `BLA` to the Chat

T0V0AwABAAEALwEAAAAAAwBCAEwAQQAAAAAAAAAA

In hexadecimal:
4f457403 0001 00 01 002f 01 00 0000
0003 0042004c0041 0000000000000000

## Revoke all privileges

T0V0AwABAAEAQQAA

In hexadecimal:
4f457403 0001 00 01 0041 0000

## Grant all privileges which the Minetest client checks in C++

T0V0AwABAAEAQQAFAANmbHkABGZhc3QABWRlYnVnAAZub2NsaXAACGludGVyYWN0

In hexadecimal:
4f457403 0001 00 01 0041 0005
0003 666c79
0004 66617374
0005 6465627567
0006 6e6f 636c 6970
0008 696e746572616374

# Rule conformance

Deliberately sending a forged packet to the Minetest client can be considered
cheating.
However, this does not violate the server rules:
* It is not a bug or glitch.
* It does not involve a hacked Minetest client program.
* The "What no cracking!" book at the spawn disallows things like fly or noclip
without having the privileges.
Since it does not exactly define what having the privileges means,
we can assume that we have the privileges because a packet arriving a the
Minetest client grants them to us.
Attachments
Peek 2023-12-08 12-49.gif
Peek 2023-12-08 12-49.gif (575.12 KiB) Viewed 2232 times