[Server] Tunnelers' Abyss

InitialD

Re: [Server] Tunnelers' Abyss

by InitialD » Post

A structure measuring 256x256x320 nodes that took me many weeks, probably months if mining is included, of manual/digtron-assisted solo work to build, was deleted seemingly out of a whim.
The 50 machines at the center where moved to some remote place without a travelnet, the rest of the building is gone.
So far I had good standing on this server, I made many complex, labourous builds, most of which were also public utilities like museums, public machines or node share storages. I did not bad-mouth TA elsewhere or did anything else that would have warranted this. This was my largest build on this server and in general.
"it's no beauty"
admin response

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

bad behavior from admin and mods,
as they could have you informed before and let you save it, for maybe import somewhere else ...

and just it is not nice ... just leave that server ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Where is the server's version of linetrack hosted? I need it to begin complementing my Advtrains network.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 17:49
Where is the server's version of linetrack hosted? I need it to begin complementing my Advtrains network.
We use the same version as I put on this forum. In case you couldn't find it, it's this repo: https://gitlab.com/Hume2/linetrack
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

56independent_actual

Hume2 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 13:47

We use the same version as I put on this forum. In case you couldn't find it, it's this repo: https://gitlab.com/Hume2/linetrack
Thank you.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

56independent_actual

Tell me honestly: is the quote "It was a bright spring morning when three weary travellers, refugees fleeing persecution in a faraway land" taken from your webpage a reference to a server we have both been on, me banned?

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Can I ask why does the server so often shutdown for reason of the connection timeout? Do you have a bad internet or what? It is already so annoying when it happens periodically in few years.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 23:06
Can I ask why does the server so often shutdown for reason of the connection timeout? Do you have a bad internet or what? It is already so annoying when it happens periodically in few years.
as another admin of another server ... wondering about your comment
* shout down and connection time out is NOT the same

* as I see this server has a fixed IP Address, there are no change IP as I have and THEN timing out,

* a shut down is of engine / mod failure and then reboot, OR updating mods and reboot or shutdown as of backup (at my server I have about 2 failure a month now = server can be online 15 days in a row and reached more) and backup is also possible without shutdown

* time out does not mean "the server" it mean the HOLE route from server via internet to your home ... make a mtr check to find out where on that maybe long way is the problem ... and if you have normal internet, IP changes all 24 hours moist time = timed out

and can't be so bad ... I see this server had a good amount of steady visitors
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

And I'm wondering about how carefully you read comments.... I didn't say shutdown = connection time :). I think the changing my IP-address is not clearly a reason. Firstly, because in a result of shutdown ALL players get disconnected, not only me. Secondly, the server shutdowns on average more frequent, NOT each 24 hours. Also, if the server reboots purposely e.g. updating mods, the admins usually report about that. But here the shutdowns happen suddenly.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Happy 3rd Birthday, Tunnelers' Abyss!

56independent_actual

CalebJ wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 13:27
Happy 3rd Birthday, Tunnelers' Abyss!
Wow... just yesterday it was my server's birthday!

Happy third birthday, TA!

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

56independent_actual

I'm studying railway networks in various servers. Where can i find maps of the network here, such as netmapper outputs? I already have the satellite map, which has proven invaluable for researching junction track layouts.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

We do not use netmapper at the moment, so I'd guess that the satellite map is the best you can do. I believe the bus routes are not well-documented yet.

56independent_actual

CalebJ wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 21:23
We do not use netmapper at the moment, so I'd guess that the satellite map is the best you can do. I believe the bus routes are not well-documented yet.
Thank you.

If you want, i have a small script for netmapping with Apache2:

Code: Select all

# MIT license

cd /home/hiddenForPrivacy/netmapper

lua main.lua /home/hiddenForPrivacy/world/

cp /home/hiddenForPrivacy/world/out.svg /var/www/html/trainmap.svg
cp /var/www/html/trainmap.svg "/var/www/html/maps/trainmap $(date +"%Y-%m-%d").svg"

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Thanks! We'll certainly investigate that if we end up using netmapper.

pups

by pups » Post

Hello, I see that the topic of the TA server is a bit neglected:)
So, I want to study how to add an image into a forum message, and along the way to show my wood factory on the TA server.

Hmmm, it seems that we can not turn off BBCode at this forum, so we can not write a good html-code with a setting of a scale of an image, and we have to create a smaller preview image in addition to an original full-size one.

Well, it is time to explain the picture.

You can see the Wood Factory. How does it work?
We grow trees at the bottom of the deep pit. And then we turn on the Quarry machine. This machine dig all blocks in the pit till the bottom that is one hundred blocks below the machine. Extracted blocks (leaves and trunks) are sent into a tube, go through filters and then collect into chests.

Also you can see the Solar Electro-Station near the left side of the glass roof. This station supplies the Quarry machine with electro-energy. The machine consumes ten thousand energy units per second.

To the left of the pit you can see so called Sapling Factory, where leaves become saplings.
We load leaves into Deployers. These deployers place leaves on the floor. Then Breakers cut the leaves (which can become saplings by chance) and push them into tubes. Further filters sort items into appropriate tubes, so that leaves will go into deployers again, and saplings go into chests.

That is all, thank you for reading:)

pups

by pups » Post

An event of the weekend is ksandr's rocket launch! Hello, martians!

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

A truly wonderful invention by ksandr! Thanks for sharing, pups.

I realized I haven't given this topic much attention either, here are some screenshots of recent development/buildings on Tunnelers' Abyss!
Pachycephalosaurus
TomBuilder's japanese building
Mosasaurus
Andrey01's Train Station
doggo's Town

pups

by pups » Post

Hello, I have been a bit tired of obscure rules of the game, so I have decided to publish here a small manual.
I want to help players of TA server to use these very interesting machines.

This manual is true as of November, 2022.

Nuclear Power on the TA server.

We have three machines to obtain electricity from nuclear power in the game:
1. RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator).
2. Classical Nuclear Reactor (Let us call it "R-7").
3. Advanced Nuclear Reactor (Let us call it "R-9").

Now let us look at these machines closely.
Each of these apparatus outputs only HV (High Voltage) electric power.

Be aware that the playing process requires quite high expirience from a player.
So you can not begin to craft nuclear machines at once after a couple of days on the server.
First you have to collect significant amount of recources like titanium or germanium ingots and build any non-nuclear electric plant like a geothermal electric station.
And only then you will be ready for the nuclear power.

1. RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator).

The king of compact electric generators in the game! Because it occupies only one block while has a relatively high capacity.
Also, it is the most available nuclear generator in the game, because of a relatively simple construction and cheap cost.
The capacity of this notable machine is 20k energy units per second.
This is suitable to supply two Quarry machines at once!

Some radioactive elements and its isotopes serve as fuel for this machine.
The term of service of the RTG depends on the type of used nuclear fuel. The term ranges from half an hour to several hours.
The cheapest fuel is Thorium, which can be extracted from uranium ore and some plants in the game.
The rest of fuels you should discover in the game yourself.

2. Classical Nuclear Reactor ("R-7").

This machine is not compact by contrast with the RTG. It presents a quite big cube having the volume of 7x7x7 blocks. That is why we have chosen the name "R-7" for it.
The capacity of this generator is 90k energy units per second.
Via an experimental observation we can conclude that the term of service of the reactor is about three months. Then you have to load nuclear fuel again.

Construction.
The reactor consists of three concentric shells (like a matreshka). And in the centre of these shells is placed the reactor core.
The sequence of the shells starting from the core is:
1. Water chamber.
2. Lead shirt.
3. Concrete shell.

The water chamber wraps the core directly. This shell consists of regular sea water blocks. It has the size of 3x3x3 blocks and the thickness of one block.
The lead shirt is around the water chamber. This shell consists of lead blocks. It has the size of 5x5x5 blocks and the thickness of one block.
The concrete shell is the outer cover of the reactor. This shell consists of blast resistant concrete blocks. It has the size of 7x7x7 blocks and the thickness of one block.

Also, the reactor construction has two special wells:
1. Power well.
2. Maintenance well.

Each well presents a hole through the concrete shell and the lead shirt to the water chamber.
The wells must belong the same vertical axis piercing the reactor core.
The power well should be created through the bottom side of the reactor. A player connects the core and comsumers with an electric cable via this well.
The maintenance well should be created through the top side of the reactor. This well should be filled with water, so that a player could dive and reach the core. The well allows a player to manage the core: to load fuel, to start the reactor.

The number of building materials is:
Blast resistant concrete blocks:
7x7x7-5x5x5-2=216
Titanium ingots (as part of blast resistant concrete blocks):
(216/5)x2=86,4 (at least 88 ingots, because the number have to be an even).
Lead blocks:
5x5x5-3x3x3-2=96 (that is about 8,7 stacks of lead ingots).

After the full case of the reactor is built, and the core is connected with an electric cable, a player can load fuel and start the reactor.
The reactor core has six fuel sockets.
A player have to place one uranium fuel rod into each socket.
After all sockets are filled, a player can click the button "start".

Meltdown.
If a player damages a working reactor, for example, having dug any block of a shell of a running reactor, then the reactor will explode in a couple of minutes!
It is so-called meltdown of a reactor.
This is rather a funny and absorbing event.
A goal of this action is to obtain Corium. It is a very valuable liquid in the game.
Later you can repair shells of the broken reactor, but the reactor core is lost forever, so you have to craft a new core.

3. Advanced Nuclear Reactor ("R-9").

This is a new type of the Classical Nuclear Reactor.
The advanced reactor resembles the classical one. Excepting that the advanced apparatus has a double lead shell. Therefore the advanced reactor has the volume of 9x9x9 blocks instead of the classical size of 7x7x7 blocks.
It is not the only difference.

The advanced reactor can use more types of nuclear fuel:
1. Each isotope "Californium-252" (Cf-252) produces 250k energy units per second.
2. Each isotope "Berkelium-249" (Bk-249) produces 90k energy units per second.
3. Each uranium fuel rod produces 25k energy units per second.

The "R-9" has the same reactor core with six fuel sockets as the classical "R-7".
Each socket accepts only one fuel item.
Blending of fuel types is allowed. But empty fuel sockets is forbidden.
For example, if you load two "Cf-252" isotopes, one "Bk-249" isotope and three uranium fuel rods into the core, then the reactor will have the capacity:
2x250000+90000+3x25000=665k energy units per second.
The reactor develops the maximum capacity of 1,5M energy units per second when loaded with six "Cf-252" isotopes.

A type of fuel does not affect the term of service. It affects only the capacity of the reactor.
Therefore the "R-9" has the same term of service as the classical "R-7".

The special wells for "R-9" and "R-7" are identical.

The explosion because of the meltdown is greater than the classical reactor experiences. Moreover, if the "R-9" is damaged being used at the altitude lower -500, the explosion will be comparable to the nuclear bomb power in the game.

It should be noted that "R-7" can extract only 15k energy units per second from one uranium fuel rod, achieving total capacity of 90k. While advanced "R-9" can draw 25k from one rod.

That is all the manual so far, thank you for reading:) Play the minetest and have fun:)
Last edited by pups on Tue May 30, 2023 13:27, edited 17 times in total.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Well done, this is very useful! Good to see ProTest getting some representation in this manual too :))

pups

by pups » Post

Good to see ProTest getting some representation in this manual too
This is security of an advanced reactor, hehe:)

pups

by pups » Post

One more obscure theme on the server is a honey farm.
I will try to explain this part of the game.

Bees on the TA server.

We have two types of beehives on the server:
1. Beehive.
2. Artificial beehive.

And two types of bees:
1. Queen bee.
2. Worker bee.

Beehive.

Having been built the beehive has one queen bee and six worker bees inside.
While day-time one worker bee flies out the beehive and searches flowers around.
When the bee reaches a flower it extracts honey and returns into the beehive with the honey.

It is not necessary to have six worker bees in the beehive, because only one works.
These six bees can not work simultaneously.
That is a strange feature of the beehive.

You can catch a worker bee with a net while it is flying outside a beehive.
Thus you can capture five worker bees from six and leave only one in the beehive.
The beehive with only one worker bee functions exactly as if it has six worker bees. The queen bee never works.

A goal of catching worker bees is to move them into artificial beehives.

You can read information about bees and honey aiming the game cursor at a beehive.
If a beehive has 20 honey, its bees stop working.
In this case you have to collect the honey with a shears doing right clicks on the beehive.
When the amount of honey is lower than 20, the bees start working again.

Actually honey in a beehive exists by way of honeycombs. And you get the very honeycombs using a shears.

If you break the beehive, all worker bees die but the queen bee. You should catch the queen with a net as fast as possible otherwise it flies away.

Artificial beehive.

Having been built the beehive is empty. First you have to put a worker bee inside the beehive. Then you will be able to harvest honey.

Queen bee.

Queen bees spawn randomly on the map, and you can catch a queen bee with a net just walking in the game.
Note that a probability to encounter a queen bee is significantly higher at a green grass or prairie biome.

Worker bee.

Worker bees do not spawn on the map, they arise once inside a beehive after building.
So, you can not seem to catch any worker bee unless you have your own beehives.

Flowers.

A player can collect flowers at a green grass or prairie biome.

However, you can quickly grow flowers using the fertilizer.
(Sometimes you can see "fertiliser" spelling in the crafting guide).
When you punch a field with the fertilizer, new grass and flowers appear at once.
Also the cottonseed oil can be used as fertilizer.

A flower deliberately multiplies by itself on a proper dirt type when the plant has enough free space around and the sunlight above.

Note, that only flowers belonging to the module "flowers" are suitable for bees.
Flowers from the module "africaplants" can not be used by bees.

Strategy.

1. Obtain a queen bee. You can catch it yourself with a net somewhere on the map. Or buy it in a shop in the game.
2. Obtain eight honeycombs.
3. Create a small field with flowers. An area of 3x3 blocks is suitable enough.
4. Craft and set a beehive near the field.
5. Harvest honey with a shears.

Problems.

The main problem is that you have to obtain honeycombs in order to craft a beehive.
But you can not obtain any honeycomb unless you have a beehive.
That is an endless circle and an unsolvable problem.
You can not solve this problem without help of other players.
To overcome this obstruction you have to buy your first honeycombs in a shop in the game.

There is one more solution.
Sometimes, when you explore an underground part of the game world, you can encounter abandoned dwarves' houses.
These are small weird rooms built among rock mass.
You can find honeycombs inside chests there, or even walls of honeyblocks.
Such chests are often called "dungeon chests".
So, it is a way to obtain honeycombs for crafting your first beehive.
Be aware that you can split one honeyblock into nine honeycombs.

Creating a field can be a problem too.
Digging dirt blocks of any type by hands or standard tools converts these blocks into dirt of the default type.
In order to obtain dirt of the green grass type, you have to use the crystal multitool.
This tool saves the original type of blocks.
Be aware that dirt of any special type can spread across dirt of the default type being exposed to the sunlight.
Theoretically, you need only one block of the green grass type to create a green field of any size, but it takes a long time.

That is all the manual so far, thank you for reading:) Play the minetest and have fun:)
Last edited by pups on Mon Jun 19, 2023 06:22, edited 11 times in total.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Only flowers belonging to the module "flowers" are suitable for bees.
Flowers from the module "africaplants" can not be used by bees.
I believe bees can collect pollen from "Mint" in africaplants, and also some plants in the bakedclay mod, perhaps others. If this is not true, let me know! I think, they should be able to collect pollen from anything in group:flower.
But you can not obtain any honeycomb unless you have a beehive.
There is actually one way, although it is quite obscure, by getting honey in dungeon chests :)

Great and entertaining manual to help understand Tunnelers' Abyss gameplay! Thanks, pups :)

pups

by pups » Post

Nuclear Bomb on the TA server.

What good game can manage without bombs?
The nuclear bomb is a quite funny and interesting part of the game.
Due to great might it can be useful for creating a suitable space for your deep underground base.
Please, use this destructive tool only underground! Do not damage the surface of the game world!

Crafting of the bomb is the very beginning of the way.

The main feature of the bomb is presence of internal sockets.

So, the bomb has internal sockets like a chest.
There are ten sockets in all. Let us study these important objects.
1. Curium socket.
One Curium element should be placed into the appropriate socket with the legend.
Note that only the clear element is suitable, isotopes are not allowed here.
And do not confuse Curium and Corium. These are completely different items.
2. Plutonium socket.
This is the central socket. One Plutonium lump should be placed there.
3. Dynamite sockets.
These are eight sockets around the central plutonium socket.
It is a bit strange, but these eight sockets require only one stack of TNT (dynamite).
You should place a TNT stack into any socket of eight and the stack will be copied automatically into the rest seven.

Using these sockets a player can choose three levels of power for an explosion:
1. Low level. All sockets are empty.
2. Middle level. The socket meant for Curium is empty. The rest sockets are filled.
3. High level. All sockets are filled.

When you wield a bomb, you can place it on a floor and open its menu with a right-click.
If you want to take the bomb back into your inventory, you have to use a pick-axe tool.

If you want to explode the bomb, you should punch it once with a left-click.
Punched by the left hand the bomb will explode in three seconds. You can not seem to deactivate it.
However, you can try to dig the bomb with a pick-axe. And if you manage to perform this venture successfully, the bomb moves into your inventory. Thus it is a kind of deactivation. Note, it is impossible unless the sockets are empty.

On this basis a player has the following ways:
1. A new crafted bomb is ready for use. You can explode the bomb at once, without opening the menu and filling the sockets. The crater will be the smallest. But the bomb is cheap and instant.
2. You can fill all sockets but the Curium one. In this case the explosion leaves a middle size crater.
3. If you fill absolutely all sockets, the explosion has the greatest power! And the crater is huge. It seems to have a diameter about 50 blocks.

Whatever calibre of the power chosen, you can not seem to flee damage of the explosion.
Therefore, in order to return to the crater afterwards, elaborate your operation in advance.
You should set a teleport point at a safe distance from the estimated centre of the blast before the bomb ignition.

Last edited by pups on Tue May 30, 2023 13:38, edited 4 times in total.