Do you have to pay to play on a server?

Red_King_Cyclops

Do you have to pay to play on a server?

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23

I have read some posts that indicate that the people who host servers have to pay a hosting service. In order to make a profit, do Minetest servers charge their players?
My best mods: space_travel, time_travel, and rocket.

Festus1965

In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: Do you have to pay to play on a server?

by Festus1965 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34

lol,
I have own server at home, took me about 1.000 Euro to build up,
now I pay only cheap electric
but sure I don't take money from gamer !!! and I also never have seen that on any server I have been.
(The server is for my daughter and her friends - others are allowed ...)
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me. Something I know since 1992 - had seen the melting glacier in Switzerland.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:05

I'm sorry if I insulted you if I did. Server hosters are very important to Minetest. Thanks for the reply.
My best mods: space_travel, time_travel, and rocket.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 13:38

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:I have read some posts that indicate that the people who host servers have to pay a hosting service. In order to make a profit, do Minetest servers charge their players?

Usually you do not have to pay for playing on a server. If someone wants you to do so you should not use the server.

Pyrollo

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 14:09

Linuxdirk wrote:Usually you do not have to pay for playing on a server. If someone wants you to do so you should not use the server.

It depends, usually servers are free but if someone sets up a server with a very high level of services, it could be perfectly reasonable to pay for it (depending of the price of course :) ).
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

CalebJ

GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 15:03

Errr ... servers are free, courtesy of the hoster. I've never seen a paid server, but if I did, I'd severely disrespect that specific owner. Sometimes donations are asked for, but so far I've never seen forced payment.
If you want realism, you're in the wrong place. Get off your mobile.

Pyrollo

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 15:27

CalebJ wrote:I've never seen forced payment.

Actually you are not forced, you could go play somewhere else. To be clear, I strongly prefer free servers but there is nothing illegal to make sever you have to pay for, and it could perfectly be moral if the price correspond to a real service.

I love the idea of giving for free but I'm also perfectly ok with being paid for a job.

EDIT: and I would add, people are free to make their own choice. If they want to pay for something they think it worth it, it's up to them.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 05:23

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:I have read some posts that indicate that the people who host servers have to pay a hosting service.

There is no obligation at all, if that is what you are asking. You can host a server for free on almost every computer in the world.

However, free does not equal quality. Some people have donors, some people already have a server that they pay for, some people pay for a small server. I've seen about everything. From a PI on dialup to 60-core machines with 64gb of RAM.

A lot of us that try to run quality servers do so by operating the server in a datacenter with quality connection and system specifications, and we do pay for that. Pricing for reasonable servers is somewhere in the 30-300 dollar per year range, for some values of "decent". You can host a server commercially for more, and probably even for less. There are even some commercial offerings that are technically "free" (*).

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:In order to make a profit, do Minetest servers charge their players?

I don't run my server to make a profit. I don't know *anyone* who does.

But, you could. Nothing prohibits you from doing this, and it would be entirely legal, and might even be a totally great way to operate a server that is used by players who really like playing on it and prefer a more "exclusive" environment. Honestly, it would totally be worth the experiment and see how it works out.

gpcf

In-game: gabriel

Return to Servers