[Windows] Server Troubleshooting: What am I doing wrong?

PastaLaHasta

[Windows] Server Troubleshooting: What am I doing wrong?

by PastaLaHasta » Post

New Forum user here! A while back me and a couple of friends decided to create a small server where we can do our own thing rather than server jumping every now and then. I opted to create the server and so far the instructions from the official page were clear enough to guide me. However, i can't seem to successfully portfoward the server. The server goes online, but whenever a non-local user tries to log in, the are greeted by "Connection timeout". I'm at quite a pickle and after searching through various similar server topics in the forums that resemble my issue, none of them seem to have helped. So i decided that it's finally time to take to the forums.

So the two major questions are:
[*]What should go into my port fowarding field?
[*]How to add minetest to windows firewall

Currently, the server would run on my Acer Nitro 5

What my Port Foward page looks like

I'm not sure if the options on the far left should be tampered with, but thought i should ask

Any tips i'll gladly accept! :-)

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Windows] Server Troubleshooting: What am I doing wrong?

by duane » Post

I know next to nothing about windows, but your server port will be whatever you set it to when you create the minetest game and select "host server". Mine defaults to 30000, so I would open port 30000 in my computer's firewall and forward external port 30000 to my computer (same port) at my router. "Start port" and "End Port" refer to ranges -- they should be the same number in this case.

Your internal ip address refers to your computer; it will generally match 192.168.*.*, and should be listed in your router's settings, somewhere. You can find your external ip address by typing "what's my ip address" in a search engine.

Your friends can then connect to your ip address with that port. You'll have to check what your external ip address is and tell your friends. If you don't have a static ip (most people don't), you'll have to tell them the new one every time it changes (which might be frequent).
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Windows] Server Troubleshooting: What am I doing wrong?

by Krock » Post

1) Assign a static internal IP
2) Open the Console Prompt, PowerShell or somewhat else to confirm your IP change using the command "ipconfig"
3) Create a new port forwarding rule on in router
4) Local IP: 192.168.*.*
5) Local start port and end port: 30000 (or whatever value your minetest.conf "port" setting has)
6) External start and end port: preferably the same as above
7) Protocol: UDP (also TCP if you plan to provide a Minetest media server)
8) Enabled: On

Good luck.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>