[Server] JT2 @test@ (Snowfall + Athletics + Mobs Lite + Axon)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Server] JT2 @test@ (200 Years)

by Wuzzy » Post

I also reworked the the dropbox in order to prevent players from spamming the list of recipients with multiple mailboxes. To list (or unlist) your mailbox, simply toggle the "Delivery Notification" option in the mailbox GUI.
Cool! But it would be even better if that is a separate checkbox altogether.

Players can not possibly from the label "Delivery Notification" that this *also* hides the mailbox from dropboxes. It does not make sense. It's essentially a secret feature.

A separate checkbox for hiding would probably the best solution. Either that, or change the checkbox label to "Delivery Notification and Hide from Dropboxes". But I would really like to have those two features to be separated. I don't want to sacrifice the delivery notification in order to hide the mailbox from dropboxes. :P

To be honest, I'm still not sure what this strange "Bitmak Mask" thing actually does and what exactly happens when I click "Lock" or "Unlock". Besides, "Bitmap Mask" is a really weird wording, please don't confuse players with hacker language. :P The word "Lock" doesn't even make sense to me, because a shared protector already locks all nodes. So there's nothing the protector could possibly lock even more, right?

Finally: Secret spears and pickaxes detected! :D
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Aug 28, 2020 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] JT2 @test@ (Snowfall + Athletics + Mobs Lite + Axon)

by sorcerykid » Post

Yesterday I updated the chat command reference on the server homepage. It was very outdated as several commands have been added or changed since the beginning of the year. I also listed those commands that are unique to JT2 in the first post of this topic.

For convenience, several of the more commonly used commands will soon include a short parameter description in addition to the normal in-game help text. This should aid new users that are unfamiliar with the syntax of commands like "/spawn" and "/chat".

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick heads up that JT2 is not accessible for the time being due to a widespread Internet outage. I can't offer a timeframe for resolution. But I'll keep close tabs on the situation, and bring the server and Website back online as soon as possible.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... adb7395834

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Last week we had our first big blizzard in decades. The entire spawn was covered in snow, and reindeer were popping up all over the place. Most people went indoors of course since it was freezing cold.

The wind chill kept on dropping even into mid-day, and precipitation continued for almost 24 hours. Not an ordinary winter storm!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Some of you may have already seen the recent additions to the game: Whistles and Thermometers.

The whistle is an essential tool for coaches and referees to signal timeouts, fouls, and other calls. It has an audible range of 20 meters, so it perfectly suited for a variety of team-relateted activities. Aside from sports, the whistle can also provide a temporary distraction in the presence of hostile mobs.

The thermometer affords a quick means of gauging the ambient temperature at a specific location. Ordinarily, this value will coincide with "Temp Felt", unless you are wearing armor or wielding an item that is hot or cold. For convenience, both Celsius and Fahrenheit measurements are provided.

Best of all, these items are easily craftable with cheap materials. So check the Craft Guide for the corresponding recipes.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Greetings all!

The time has come to appoint new moderators. I feel that it is important to have staff available to address player concerns and enforce the rules. And as of now, that responsibility is rests entirely on me and two active staff members: talamh and Master_CJ.

Next week, I will be bringing 1248 and kievski onboard as our newest moderators! Both are expert players and veterans of Minetest. They have been active and involved on the JT2 @test@ server since day one.

I'm also retaining maikerumine and 843jdc as moderators, since they were founding players on JT2. They also operated their own Minetest servers, so they have gained substantial trust and respect in the community.

I'm excited by the continued growth of JT2 @test@ these past five months, and I look forward to our additional supporting staff.

~Nemo

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

It looks like I never posted instructions for how to use the new beds on JT2. So here's a how-to video that demonstrates some of the key features including sitting down, standing up, sleeping, setting andunsetting your spawnpoint, and respawning after death.

https://vimeo.com/400480358

Also keep in mind that there is a minimum and maximum range for respawning in a bed. You can always verify your assigned spawnpoint using the /home chat command.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Also keep in mind that there is a minimum and maximum range for respawning in a bed.
What does this mean?

The respawn logic for beds does not make any sense for me. When I die, sometimes I respawn in bed, but sometimes at Spawn. There seems to be no logic behind it.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

For those who don't want to view the video:
- Rightclick bed on daytime to sit down
- Rightclick bed on nighttime to sleep
- Sneak-rightclick bed to set respawn point
- The respawn point is where you will appear after your death (but in my tests, this doesn't work reliably)
- You can set and unset home when you sleep
- Night can be skipped when at least 50% of all players are sleeping
- There are apparently “active” and “static” spawnpoints but the video doesn't explain the difference
- You can sit down on slabs and stairs by rightclicking on them with your hand
- You can't sit or sleep if the node is obstructed or already occupied

Michael-158

by Michael-158 » Post

wuzzy is a really bad person. i accedentally mail him an unknown item by mistake and asked him nicely several times to return it to me but refused and used it to get information out of me and kept it for himself to show off. he took it and put it in a museum for himself! he is a very bad person do not trust him, he will only use you for information. thankfully someone named catagant and some numbers after that name gave me a copy so thank you. but wuzzy is horrible and a cheapskate do not trust him, i literally made an account just to report him. he is a thief. Read the chat records or something this happened on september 11. Just because im a noob does not mean u can take advantage of me

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Git gud.
Spoiler
(Also, you make it sound like as if I was trying to get private info from you. I was not, as can be easily verified in chatlog. I don't stalk people. Just to be super clear about that one. Also, it's technically impossible to extract private info from another player if all u got is an item. At least to my knowledge …)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Quick update! Last week I fixed the swimming mechanic, so now a diving sound should play when you are submerged (it was already implemented, but for some reason it never actually worked). And also the scuba sound is played locally to players, which I feel is more realistic than positional playback. Most notably, swimming sounds are no longer played when imimersed in cobwebs and lava (it seems I was checking the wrong node group).

In other news, the format of dates has been switched to ordinal notation. This should make them easier to interpret. The change is reflected in both the /date chat command, the splash screen, as well the homepage. Moreover, the number of bell tolls now corresponds with the actual month number.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I recently I improved the item tag in the Bedrock Markup Language, since it couldn't handle textures for certain nodes such as chests, furnaces, and doors.(it caused red warnings in chat and sometimes crashed the server). Now the tag supports a variety of nodes, craftitems, and tools. For cubic nodes, the order of precedence is front view or left view or top view.

In addition, I updated the sign editor so now it correctly interpolates Bedrock Markup Language symbols when generating the infotext. Here is a full list of the available symbols:
  • & - ampersand
  • > - greater-than
  • < - less-than
  • &rb; - right bracket
  • &lb; - left bracket
  • © - copyright
  • § - section
  • ½ - one-half
  • ° - degree
  • ± - plus-or-minus
  • ÷ - division
  • &mul; - multiplication
  • ‐ - em-dash
  • • - bullet
  • &lq; - opening quote
  • &rq; - closing quote
  • &lsq; - opening single-quote
  • &rsq; - closing single-quote
It's also possible to embed the current wind speed and temperature into signs, books, and papers using the variables $wind and $temp. The output will be formatted according to the user's preferred units (either Metric or English).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

For those who haven't noticed, I've restored the 'Del Items' button to the bones GUI. This should make collecting bones much easier, since they are usually filled with unwanted starter items. Several players and have already praised the addition of this feature, so hopefully it proves useful!.

Originally, the 'Del Items' button expunged the entire inventory. But now the items are dropped instead. This should relieve concerns of mobile players with touch screens, that were prone to accidentally clicking the button.

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

Oh, I just made another solution of the bones problem. Check out these two commits:
https://github.com/iisu/minetest_game/c ... 9a0b4afd81
https://github.com/iisu/minetest_game/c ... 8d634c470f
Yes, they're half a month apart. I procrastinate this much even on a few lines of code…

I added an "initial" meta to the initial items (in give_initial_stuff) and changed the behaviour of bones so that the items marked with the "initial" meta are preserved on the player's death. Most of the bones littering the spawn contain noob items only. This should reduce the bones spam while making the game a little easier for the new players, letting them keep their initial items on death. You could also integrate it with the mailboxes so that the "ignore initial items" option actually rejects only the initial items.

The initial items don't stack with the rest because of the meta but I don't think that's a problem. The armor and tools can't stack anyways and for the torches and apples, which are nodes, placing them on the ground removes the meta.

I forked the current minetest_game, idk how to apply the same changes to 4.x or JT2 specifically.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I'd like to give a warm welcome to 1248 and kievski whom came onboard yesterday as our newest moderators.

Alongside the rest of our staff (maikerumine, 843jdc, talamh, Master_CJ, and myself), I think they both have the experience and dedication to ensure that the JT2 @test@ server remains fun and enjoyable for our growing community of players. Cheers!

GitHub: Der1248
In-game: 1248 or Der1248

by 1248 » Post

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be part of the staff team. I hope I will do my job right.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A couple weeks ago, I completely overhauled the Basic Survival mod, including an improved (and hopefully more realistic) algorithm for temperature calculation. So adapting it for different game mechanics like crop growth will be much easier in the near future.

One of the most noticeable changes, of course, has been the HUD which now features a far more prominent temperature gauge, rather than the tiny crammed text above the hotbar. Since temperature is key to survival on JT2, it only made sense that it should be readily evident at all times. The units can be switched between metric and U.S. from within either of the weather panels.

In addition, you'll notice I brought back the light gem. This HUD element was inspired by the game mechanic from Thief: The Dark Project, and it serves essentially the same function. When you are standing in deep shadow, the light gem will turn fully black indicating that you are invisible to most monsters, except for those with night-vision (bats, ghosts, and stone monsters).

The light gem can also prove useful for stealth-focused gameplay, whether it be spying, surveillance, or even PvP. Of course, you'll need to cloak your nametag from other players by wearing a Halloween costume to be effectively covert.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Recently, I announced updates to the craft guide, including the new "/craft" chat command that makes it possible to search the craft guide on the fly. As a bonus, the output quantity is now shown in the craft result too!

Like much of the code-base for the Just Test Tribute game, the craft guide has been undergoing a complete rewrite. It now uses the ActiveFormspecs framework. Skins and 3D Armor are also in the process of being revamped to be more efficient, secure, and modular. This is why some functionality has been broken the past few days.

For the most part, there aren't any additional user-facing features. Rather this is part my ongoing effort to standardize, modernize, and streamline the underlying architecture of the game. The few remaining legacy mods (such as the craft guide and skins browser) were just too poorly designed to allow for refactoring.

I appreciate all of your patience as I strive to improve the overall JT2 experience!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I just completed a major refactor of the LaunchPad mod, including the addition of a "/d" chat command to re-open the startup diagnostic screen. It is now possible to use the arrow up and down keys to scroll through the buffer as well. This way you can review your last login time and any other details that may not be visible.

In the process of updating LaunchPad, I added a sanity check to avoid crashing if the user logs out prematurely.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick reminder for new players: You can switch temperature units using either the /weather or the /log chat command. Whichever setting you choose will be saved between sessions.

Image Image

In other news, I finally fixed the recipe for the thermometer so it can be crafted from one steel ingot, one bucket of river water, and one glass. Sorry, it took so long!

The temperature calculation has also been updated to use the same algorithm as the "Temp Felt" for players (which I described earlier). Keep in mind, the temperature displayed on the thermometer won't necessarily coincide with the outdoor temperature.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A quick heads up! Signs are now rendered at a fixed size, so there should no longer be inconsistencies at different screen resolutions. This issue was brought to my attention after checking out one of Wuzzy's signs the other day.

Books and papers exhibited this same issue. But now they should all render the same regardless of screen size.

On a sidenote, the 5-character minimum text length for signs has also been eliminated as it was proving far too restrictive.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I've added a Magnifying Glass tool for easily copying-and-pasting basic node properties including name, owner, description, and position. for use with any of the chat commands.

It should afford a convenient alternative to the Inspection Wand, particularly since there is no wear. However, keep in mind that it only works with pointable nodes.

The tool is also very cheap to craft, requiring only one glass and one stick. So it can be readily obtained by novice players.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Last week I extended the Basic Survival Mod with a new temperature-based survival mechanic: Wetness.

The gauge in the lower-left will vary from 1 to 3 waves depending on the degree of wetness. For example, swimming in a pool will result in full immersion (indicated by 3 waves) whereas standing in the rain will range from minimum to moderate immersion (indicated by 1-2 waves) based upon the intensity of rainfall.

Keep in mind, the chilling effect of being drenched in water will persist for several seconds. This means you should monitor the gauge regularly, particularly during winter, to ensure you are fully dry before going outdoors to avoid hypothermia. Suitable armor, of course, will help to keep you dry thereby conserving body heat.

This, of course, is still an experimental feature and is subject to change.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

This past week I added some more decorative nodes: Garden Stone Path, Junglewood Sign, and Rope.

The Garden Stone Path was derived from the XDecor mod. It is perfectly suited for parks, gardens, and other scenic areas where a cobblestone walkway might appear too obtrusive within the natural landscape.

As the name implies, the Junglewood Sign is simply a variation of the customary Wooden Sign with a slightly darker appearance. You may recognize this asset from the pre-0.4.14 versions of Minetest Game.

The rope is technically not new to JT2, but the crafting recipe was never properly implemented. Since it is a climbable node similar to ladders, it can double as both an aesthetic and functional element for any build.

I hope you enjoy these additions!