MineClone 5 on Minetest 5

kay27
GitHub: kay27

Re: MineClone 2 0.67.2+ on Minetest 5.3.0

by kay27 » Post

Added experience from Crafter, respect Oil_boi.
Please let me know if you find any issues with it.

kay27

Re: MineClone 2 0.68.0+ on Minetest 5.3.0

by kay27 » Post

updated to experimental state

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

Ok, my test brought up quite a few issues, but I will only mention the relevant ones here, and the others in the bug tracker.

Lag is the first issue, because it makes picking up items quite difficult when you're supposed to run for your life. But it's also hard or slow to pick up XP, even when there's no lag, because it's only easy to pick up the XP balls if they drop on you or you jump on them. Other than that, it can take quite a while. And in Minecraft they are attracted to the player from about 2 blocks away, including vertically.

Also related to XP, in Minecraft mobs only drop XP if players or their wolves hurt/kill them. It is convenient to find XP on daylight, when zombies and skeletons die on their own, but the existing implementation could easily be abused with mob farms where you would sit in front of a place where you drop mobs from up high, and collect XP without eating food or hitting them - completely free XP.

Again about XP, the furnaces are not supposed to drop the XP, but store it until a player gets the processed items. This way you can leave your furnace to do its job and get the XP when you get back, instead of being forced to stay next to it until if finishes, just so you don't have that XP de-spawned some time later.

Falling into water (from big heights) is only ok sometimes. For instance, once I fell and my health had no change, when the water depth was 1 block, then I fell into a 3-4 deep water body, and because I didn't press space to swim up, I hit the bottom and I got significant damage (almost half the bar, without armor). But it's great progress, that's for sure.

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

LOL, my UFO is easily visible on the map. :)) But the next update should display some nice fixes in my area - I covered a few huge holes and added grass blocks and vegetation. ;)

Now back to real issues: the XP collection needs serious fixing. It feels like you can only get it if it touches the players' bottom of their feet or top of their heads. Basically, you have to jump a lot to get the XP. I hope it's not too complicated to fix this. :)

Also, I was wrong in my previous post, about the XP orbs. Quote from Minecraft's wiki:
Experience orbs fade between green and yellow colors and float or glide toward the player up to a distance of 7.25 blocks (calculated from the center of player's feet and the center of the experience orb), speeding up as they get nearer to the player. Experience orbs pulled toward a player are slowed by spider webs. Experience orbs can also be pulled around or away from the player by running water currents.

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

Oh, one little thing to add. Fishing from the same spot will generate XP orbs under your feet, but you can only collect them after you start jumping on them. Funny and annoying at the same time. :P

Cartmic

by Cartmic » Post

I started project degrief, where I'm building public hostels from what remains of previously griefed houses.

The first of the hostels is just south-west of spawn.
ProjectDegrief1.jpg
ProjectDegrief1.jpg (265.68 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
ProjectDegrief2.jpg
ProjectDegrief2.jpg (432.55 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Trailgen A C++ mgv6-like mapgen using the biome api viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26751

goats

by goats » Post

Edit: Disregard please. Intact end shrines have been found in ring 2.

Heyyyyyy :D Was the end portal mapgen problem patched on the server? I found a broken shrine with only 2 portal frame bits (with eyes, even :) ) and not much else. No one had been there before, but at least one player was in the general area on the surface, judging by the bed and some torches on a nearby mountain.

Just curious whether or not i should bother looking far away for an intact end portal shrine.

Cartmic

by Cartmic » Post

Hi Kay27,

Mining protection block isn't possible, is this a bug? Because the protection mod is used with MTGame it the blocks can be mined and retrieved.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Many thanks to you all.
About the protection, currently I'm not sure, I'll compare the behavior with MT game myself.
About the shrines and portal frames - yep, there was a bug for long time and the it was fixed but I can't re-run map generating process... I can restore the scructures by a script but... just not sure :)
About public places, please write the coordinates of outdated protectors if you want them to be removed.
Nicu :) TYSM, I should do and check many things, just hope not to forget, my first priority is carts.
P. S. I try to keep merged the latest state of Elias Fleckenstein's branch, fix some things

goats

by goats » Post

Shrines: No worries, just maybe a sign at spawn or something to let players know that the first ring is glitched and to start looking farther out than 4000 nodes from origin.
Or can the inner shrines be destroyed so that eye of ender does not go to them? Or... heck, i would repair them manually if i had the portal frames to do it. Seems like a project.

Protection: Yeah i too noticed that protector block or a protected chest cannot be picked up, they simply disappear. Never seen that behavior anywhere before. :D :D

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

To make it official, I quit this server yesterday. Someone managed to destroy part of my house, and my sheep and mooshrooms were all missing from my farm. So until the protectors will work or only reasonable people play on that server, I won't spend more time there. It's supposed to be fun, not annoying.

I know there's a glitch in the protected doors, as I've seen myself someone entering my sheep farm about a week ago, while I had a few visitors, but I don't remember who it was. But it makes no difference, as I can't tell if did the damage was done by someone or the protectors are buggy and somehow a lightning did it - but I doubt lightnings can destroy the bottom part of the house. I fixed it before I left, just because I wanted to leave something complete behind me, instead of a mess. I gave dani_aios access to all my protectors and he's allowed to use everything as he sees fit.

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

Another note on XP, for consideration, coming from the Minecraft wiki:
The player also loses any experience accumulated, reverting the level back to 0 (unless /gamerule keepInventory true is typed in if commands are enabled) and drops experience orbs with a precise total value of player last level × 7 experience points (with a maximum of 100). After reaching between levels 7 and 8, the player always drops only 100 experience points regardless of level.
Not that the XP would have to be identical to that of Minecraft, but as long as you can't recover 100% of your XP, the players won't consider dying as their first option instead of healing with items - because currently it's cheaper to just die and collect everything right back. :) It's a bit too convenient in my opinion.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Nicu, sorry for the issue with your creations. This world was grieved several times :( There are still bugs exist, even if we do the best to fix what we already found. I'll check the logs, for exploring what really happened.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Actually I can prevent some action like placing lava above some reasonable level and etc... but could it be called the survival mode still? not sure... sorry again, it's always so sad

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

The big question is: what are the protectors supposed to do in the first place? When their role will be properly defined, implemented and documented, we'll be able to stop assuming how they protect and start relying on their intended functionality.

But I protected a lot of areas around my house and only my mobs went missing and my house was damaged - nothing else. I mean what are the chances that out of all things that are flammable/destructible by weather, only those would be affected? Nothing else around got damaged - trees, crops, vegetation. And the way I made my house would've required a lightning to hit from the bottom, because that's where most of the damage was done to my house, which has a dirt platform above it. That's why it looked targeted.

I didn't have issues with other players, and I fixed about 20% of the old grieved area. Maybe someone was proud of the destruction and got offended that I made that area look good again, or someone else wanted to have some weird fun, or the weather simply targeted me in a very unusual way. No need to waste time doing detective work, though. When the protectors will be bug-free and we'll know for sure what they can and cannot do, we'll be able to take that into account.

goats

by goats » Post

Looks like Protector Redo from TenPlus1, so you can download the mod and read it. I don't know if kay27 has modified it other than possibly ensuring it works for mcl2 on their server.

Checking logs makes sense because who wants a griefer on their server. (There are certainly some... interesting... players there.)

As for placing lava, maybe if one could only place lava over a certain height if they themselves place it in an area they protect. Adding a decent-sized protected border area helps, but not so much if someone builds a mountain on which to place water or lava. (Which can also lag out the server.)

kay27

by kay27 » Post

So sorry again - it was too late to get logs... I increased the number of logs for rotation, so next time I'll have the info. But this time I've nothing to explore... I suspect the lava still.

First spawn point at 0,20,0 was destroyed with TNT. I made a fix for protection against TNT. TenPlus1 warns that his mod won't work with MCL2 so it was added first time as a test. I found a minor problem with translation which was fixed by the author. Also there was a problem with endermen fixed by Rootyjr. Last time I added protection for pistons. But the works isn't finished. Please open issues if protection doesn't work

goats

by goats » Post

The server has been crashing with some regularity of late, but today it goes down every few minutes, no exaggeration. Just fyi.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

yep. thanks for notifying!!!
i fixed it at night
but as i pushed the fix to MCL2 original repo only - it was reverted to my fork without the fix, LOL
now i thought i'm going crazy because the textures of experience bar and experience orbs are changed but - they were added by MysticTempest to REFI pack - great surprise! :)
as you've seen - server still has MCL2 latest state, 'experimental'.
i'd like to introduce one more world with much more cruel spawn point - updating the information in the first post

goats

by goats » Post

Oh my, yes i am aware this is essentially a testing server. Just wanted to let you know there were some issues.

Yes, a few days back everyone was noticing the experience orbs. Also all the protector mod textures (not an improvement lol) and the end crystal.

Also, where is your repo? The mesehub one always seems pretty outdated.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

the goal is comfortable playing still... but new features are so attractive sometimes...
my fork is https://git.minetest.land/kay27/MineClone2 , i also have outdated https://git.minetest.land/kay2777/MineClone2 for experiments and https://github.com/kay27/MineClone2/ as a backup copy

Cartmic

by Cartmic » Post

Kay27, do you have some screenshots from what original spawn looked like?

goats

by goats » Post

Thanks kay27, cheers!

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Cartmic wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 21:08
Kay27, do you have some screenshots from what original spawn looked like?
just transparent platform in the air with ways in all 4 directions, i've some backup copies like that but really dont like to restore it over existing world so feel free to build what you want, i'll remove protectors if you're ready
Attachments
screen204.png
screen204.png (49.59 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

@kay27: it looks like if there's lag, the minecart glitches through the opaque block, derails and drops as an item. It happened after addiii joined the game (his house is next to my farm). It happened even after he left the game, but at some point dani_aios came in our area and he probably had something to do with it. Check the logs, just in case.

On a weird note, dani_aios was invisible when I and addiii were talking, and after addiii left the game he hit me a few times and placed a few blocks around me while invisible. Maybe it's not a coincidence that the minecart ran properly after he became visible. Later he threw a poison potion at me and hit me a few more times, and did some damage to my UFO, even removed one of my flower pots in my house, moved stuff in my chests... just weird. Anyway, I removed his access from all my protectors and now you know about it. Clearly I gave him no reason to do that.

Now more testing...

Anvil issues:
- books stack when shift-clicking (from inventory to anvil), instead of filling both input slots with one book each
- Protection IV + Protection IV = Protection IV <= the output should be disabled for items that can't be combined
- there's no XP cost for combining enchanted items - intended or not? it costs XP in Minecraft

Enchantment table issues:
- with both input slots empty, shift-clicking lapis places it in the right side input, then shift-clicking one or more books doesn't add one in the left side input
- manually placing lapis in the left input is possible
- in Minecraft there's a lapis stone outline in the right side slot, to visually mark the lapis slot
- sometimes there's one enchantment result missing, so far I had either the second or first rows missing
- check my house: the enchanted letters go way down below my house (potential performance impact) - they should disappear once they enter the table

Experience:
- under certain (unknown) circumstantces, you don't advance in the XP level because the bar virtually grows endelssly outside the screen (tested by killing lots of mobs: hostile, neutral and friendly). Sleeping didn't help. Quitting and rejoining the game fixed it - I went up 3 XP levels (19->22). Once I did that, it happened again, I had to exit and rejoin (19->21). The same later (18->21). After that I leveled up normally - strange bug.
- the experience orbs and items should be dropped instantly from mobs - plenty of situations when you can't afford to sit around and wait, especially in the Nether

Mobs issue:
- is it possible to make a transition between being alive and dead? insta-drop looks weird