Connecting to a server without the actual client

The_Blank
GitHub: muhymenulhaque
In-game: The_Blank

Connecting to a server without the actual client

by The_Blank » Post

I am aiming to connect to minetest servers without actually having the client itself. Its because minetest objects like machines and robots remain inactive when there is no player near it. So I want to make a bot which can connect to the server and act as a user to keep the machines running. I think a TCP and UDP connection would be enough to accomplish this but I dont know what it sends and how it encrypts the data it sends. Since minetest is a open source project, I thought it wouldn't be wrong to get answer to this.
Now, what are the things that the client sends to the server and what can I do to keep the player act as active?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Connecting to a server without the actual client

by Linuxdirk » Post

The_Blank wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 14:58
I am aiming to connect to minetest servers without actually having the client itself. Its because minetest objects like machines and robots remain inactive when there is no player near it.
Why not simply use the “world anchor” provided by the technic mod?

https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... rld-anchor

The_Blank

by The_Blank » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 15:03
The_Blank wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 14:58
I am aiming to connect to minetest servers without actually having the client itself. Its because minetest objects like machines and robots remain inactive when there is no player near it.
Why not simply use the “world anchor” provided by the technic mod?

https://github.com/minetest-mods/techni ... rld-anchor
You are right Linuxdirl. But if only the admin do that for me. Let me give it a try and see of the admins of the server I play in really give me a world anchor or not.
Also if I keep a blinky plant close to a active player then even if the machines connected to it are far, will the machines keep working?

The_Blank

by The_Blank » Post

I tried asking the admins buts they wont give me. So that's the only option I see.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

The fact that machines switch off when people are not near them is a feature, not a bug, of the game. It allows server to save their limited resources. World anchors are the solution but if admins refuse them, they probably have their reasons (save resources).

That's an infuriating limitation of minetest as it is now. I wish we could have some cheap ways to have offline simulation going on but right now is it expensive.

What you are trying to achieve is technically possible but I don't recommend doing it.

The_Blank

by The_Blank » Post

Ok ...

texnofobix
GitHub: texnofobix
IRC: texnofobix

by texnofobix » Post

World anchors don't seem to work for Injectors /blinky plants or at least with my testing.