Mibi

hex
IRC: hecks
In-game: hex hhhehehe

Mibi

by hex » Post

Whoa, what's this?
This is something I've been working on for the past two years. Started from an empty folder, a Lua textbook and a dream, now inching close to a playable version.
Rather than being yet another ore mining and tree punching game, this game takes inspiration from roguelikes, puts a voxel spin on it, and tops it off with intense action RPG combat, with emphasis on action.

Wait, that's all in Minetest?
Yes, this has always been running inside an unmodified Minetest engine. This was no trivial task. A whole object oriented engine had to be built around the simple API that Minetest provides, still in Lua. The game has then been written on top of that.
Due to the heavy demands placed on the engine, numerous bugs in Minetest have been found and fixed along the way.
Minetest as a whole has become more robust recently, thanks in part to this project.

But hold on a second, this is the Server forum!
Yes, because this project was designed solely with launching a server in mind, and that's the only way it will be available to play. That way the game can evolve with the server, and players can explore it naturally without anyone spoiling any mystery. Consider this a fun little experiment, a one of a kind thing.

When is it going live?
We are currently setting things up and running closed tests. We hope to launch a public test sometime in early 2021, soon after 5.4.0 ships. (5.4 will be the first client version stable enough to handle the game properly)

So what's this action combat thing about?
We've been able to implement a combat system much like those found in many action cRPGs and fighting games.
No more scraping boxes with a pickaxe! You get to actually swing your weapon around, launch various attacks, aim high or low, guard, and roll. Everything is fully animated and precisely scripted.
ImageImage

Wow, that's too intense for me! Will I have to get good at this?
Not if you don't want to, because we also want to make this a comfy sandbox to chill out in. Building and crafting will still have its place (though much different than what you're probably used to), and we hope to give players plenty of things to do that don't involve whacking things with a sword. Player interaction will not be neglected either, messing around with your friends in breaks between grinding is an important feature to us.

Cool. How much is done so far?
A lot of focus has gone into getting the movement and fighting right (which is in my opinion where voxel games need to improve a lot), so expect that being the most interesting thing to do at first. Other systems will hopefully catch up quickly. The scope of things to do is huge, but they can be all done incrementally.

Check this thread for updates from time to time, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Attachments
mibi.jpg
mibi.jpg (208.23 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
hit.gif
hit.gif (911.41 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
roll.gif
roll.gif (614.99 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

Re: Mibi

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Not an anime fan but i can't wait to try this out ;)
Is the code public somewhere?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Well done hhhehehe,

I first thought you were telling me stories that other day in 3xile.
Let me know when your server is online. :)

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

NOW WE'RE TALKING

Seriously, it seems a really solid job, I'm looking forward to it

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Wow, this looks good :)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wow, this is some 100% stuff here! The art looks awesome and the description sounds like it could be really amazing!

Minix
In-game: Minix

by Minix » Post

Looks really nice, subscribed.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Looks like an actual unique game made using Minetest as the engine! Looking forward to trying this out!
Keep us posted

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

hex wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 08:51

But hold on a second, this is the Server forum!
Yes, because this project was designed solely with launching a server in mind, and that's the only way it will be available to play. That way the game can evolve with the server, and players can explore it naturally without anyone spoiling any mystery. Consider this a fun little experiment, a one of a kind thing.
Does this mean the code will be kept private or will some of the source be shared? It would be really cool if even some of the stuff like more fluid movement, combat improvements were more widely applicable, but I suppose they might not be transferable if your implementation is so different.
hex wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 08:51
So what's this action combat thing about?
We've been able to implement a combat system much like those found in many action cRPGs and fighting games.
No more scraping boxes with a pickaxe! You get to actually swing your weapon around, launch various attacks, aim high or low, guard, and roll. Everything is fully animated and precisely scripted.
ImageImage
This hardly looks like Minetest any more (in a good way) very well done! Looking forward to giving it a try. Will all the characters be in this style or will there be a variety to chose from?

I was also wondering, will players be able to break blocks/build still?

Any more teasers for enemies/mobs? I am curious about the little peach coloured slime block thing! Have you added special attacks/combat behaviour to match the play style?

u18398

by u18398 » Post

It just remembered something. Can we expect some surprises like that pixel art I once saw in the far away
borderland of 3xile ? XD

homthack
GitHub: homt8
IRC: homthack
In-game: homthack

by homthack » Post

I think you sound somewhat different from this new server but minetest suits the new game that was developed from which I did not see this name that is mibi but I would like to know that it is mibi pixel 3d.

What are the address of this server does not have the publication in the list servers minetest when it was arrived to play the rest of the subgame.
Server-Available: [HM-Skyblock] Contact-Discord: [homthack#9917]

hex

by hex » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 13:39
Does this mean the code will be kept private or will some of the source be shared? It would be really cool if even some of the stuff like more fluid movement, combat improvements were more widely applicable, but I suppose they might not be transferable if your implementation is so different.
While there is some separation between the game code and the framework it runs on, simply dumping the framework's source wouldn't do much good at the moment. The framework deviates from the minetest and lua ways of doing things, hijacks a lot of built in facilties, and it further depends on shared libs pulled in with require, many of them being just a part of my workstation's scripting environment. (While they were made for mibi originally, I started using them for other things as well since Lua quickly became my main language for everything.)
There's no way you could plug it into anything else made in MT and expect it to work.
Furthermore, the framework and its API aren't finished, and they're constantly evolving. I can make breaking changes overnight since I'm the only user. Other users would either have to put up with this, or my version would quickly diverge again. Documentation is sparse in many places so even a determined user would have trouble keeping up. Lastly, the API isn't easy, it's a bulldozer meant to crush hard problems. The framework and its deps clock in at over 11k lines. The game is another 5k and a half.

It would be instead a lot more productive to ask me about specific features, and I can try to explain the tech in a concise way.
freshreplicant wrote:
Will all the characters be in this style or will there be a variety to chose from?
All the clothing on a character is controlled by items, from underwear and socks to plate armor and helmets. Furthermore, most clothing can be dyed with a different color. The eye and hair color are just as customizable. The only thing that can't be changed at the moment is the hair style, some improvements to Minetest source might be needed to make that viable.
freshreplicant wrote:
I was also wondering, will players be able to break blocks/build still?
Mining and building will definitely be in, but in different capacities and ways than what you're used to. One player shouldn't be able to cause much destruction and haul too much stuff around, and while a player might want to eventually settle down and live in a house, they must be able to afford the materials and the protection. I've neglected coding that stuff in so far because it's a solved problem and can be easily caught up on.
freshreplicant wrote:
Any more teasers for enemies/mobs? I am curious about the little peach coloured slime block thing! Have you added special attacks/combat behaviour to match the play style?
The peachy jelly is called a mallow, they're not very threatening but you might want to keep them out of your vegetable garden.
ImageImage

Less exotic critters are also present.

The game code doesn't differentiate between players and mobs for most purposes. Therefore, some smarter mobs may very well use the same features that are available to players. Additionally, NPCs can straight up just do everything that players are capable of.
Gundul wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 17:32
It just remembered something. Can we expect some surprises like that pixel art I once saw in the far away
borderland of 3xile ? XD
Well, I won't be building anything on the map myself, but who's to say I won't put other things in the game... of course, as long as it doesn't get us kicked off the master server.
A server instance for more mature players is definitely possible if there's demand.
Attachments
mouse.gif
mouse.gif (166.32 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
mallow_h.jpg
mallow_h.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
mallow.gif
mallow.gif (108 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

hex wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 05:49
freshreplicant wrote:
It would be instead a lot more productive to ask me about specific features, and I can try to explain the tech in a concise way.
Makes sense. Personally my programming skills are nowhere near good enough but perhaps others can learn by asking you about specifics and how you implemented features.
hex wrote:
All the clothing on a character is controlled by items, from underwear and socks to plate armor and helmets. Furthermore, most clothing can be dyed with a different color. The eye and hair color are just as customizable. The only thing that can't be changed at the moment is the hair style, some improvements to Minetest source might be needed to make that viable.
Sounds like a very modular system, cool! The player model will remain the same however, correct?
hex wrote:
Less exotic critters are also present.
The animation and mob models look brilliant, well done.
hex wrote:
The game code doesn't differentiate between players and mobs for most purposes. Therefore, some smarter mobs may very well use the same features that are available to players. Additionally, NPCs can straight up just do everything that players are capable of.
Looking forward to seeing this in action. It's refreshing when you encounter mobs that serve a distinct function or have some unique flavour to them, beyond the usual 'if you touch me you get hurt' model.

Minix

by Minix » Post

Now that minetest 5.4.0 is out will the server for this project be online ?

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Amazing job!
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

hex

by hex » Post

Minix wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:01
Hi there. It will be live pretty soon, we just have to:
- Figure out some hosting, a home server might not be enough.
- Test the 5.4 release a bit to ensure that it's stable.
- Wrap up some more immediate content. There's a lot of architectural work happening but we need to give you folks something to actually play with in the meantime. This was intentionally deferred until now, so don't panic, we're on schedule.

While we do have a specific date in mind and it's not too far off, we'd rather not make promises too early, so please wait just a little longer.

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

hex wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 00:19
Minix wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:01
Hi there. It will be live pretty soon, we just have to:
- Figure out some hosting, a home server might not be enough.
- Test the 5.4 release a bit to ensure that it's stable.
- Wrap up some more immediate content. There's a lot of architectural work happening but we need to give you folks something to actually play with in the meantime. This was intentionally deferred until now, so don't panic, we're on schedule.

While we do have a specific date in mind and it's not too far off, we'd rather not make promises too early, so please wait just a little longer.
I can help with/provide hosting if you need. I'm in touch with other server managers to gather best practices, and this will help me learn some new skills too. PM me if you need help in so we can discuss.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

Minix

by Minix » Post

Awesome ! I am excited for this

Nininik
GitHub: nininik0
IRC: nininik
In-game: nininik

by Nininik » Post

Bro, this just proves the fact that minetest engine Is beyond cubes and pixels
↯Glory to Team Thunderstrike!↯
↯T.T.S.↯

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

I tried something like this a couple month ago... The player was a soldier, it looked like nightmare fuel.

I had it like that for a while, player model had a gun but was not functional, I was going to change it into a barehand gun.

Well anyway, players came online asking about skins... F***** skins, bro there's not enough words to describe or explain the degeneracy of a player asking 'wheres skins' when you just implemented a model.