[Server 5.6] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether, Draconis and more! [2022][BR]

How much you liked this server?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 11, 2021 13:15

Wow! Much server! Such blocky
22%
It was good overall, but could be better
67%
Meh
No votes
This was not very good
No votes
Worst server ever
11%

Total votes: 9

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

[Server 5.6] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether, Draconis and more! [2022][BR]

by ronoaldo » Post

Minetest Game server I made to play with my kids and that has grown a lot with several suggestions.

Server is: mars.ronoaldo.dev.br
Port: 30000
Discord: https://r.ronoaldo.net/mercurio
Github: https://github.com/ronoaldo/mercurio

Password is required. I have set it up as survival mode. Kindly leave your feedback in the thread!

The mods used are listed in the server Docker file on Github. Mods can be also downloaded from the main branch build artifacts in the Actions tab.

Veja o tópico em Português: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26389
Last edited by ronoaldo on Sat Aug 13, 2022 15:36, edited 16 times in total.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio: Minetest with my personal selection of mods (looking for feedback)

by pampogokiraly » Post

I didn't have a lot of time (I mean... I didn't really had any time other than five minutes), but I still noticed two things:
  1. Something puts "diz" to the beggining of every message which is a little bit annoying.
  2. The craftguide mod has some sort of bug, that it displays every possible mesecon, which fills up like three pages. This is weird bc it isn't happening on my local servers!
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio: Minetest with my personal selection of mods (looking for feedback)

by Festus1965 » Post

Don't try to be every one like it ...

We have about 500 gamer, and so we would need about 550 servers, to make sure everyone find what he want and like !
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 20:28
I didn't have a lot of time (I mean... I didn't really had any time other than five minutes), but I still noticed two things:
  1. Something puts "diz" to the beggining of every message which is a little bit annoying.
  2. The craftguide mod has some sort of bug, that it displays every possible mesecon, which fills up like three pages. This is weird bc it isn't happening on my local servers!
My bad! I did something in the minetest.conf for message formatting. I'll fix that. About the craft guide, it seems to be from default install I guess. I'll take a look at it and perhaps replace with another mod, thanks for pointing out!

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 21:59
Don't try to be every one like it ...

We have about 500 gamer, and so we would need about 550 servers, to make sure everyone find what he want and like !
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense!

I am also looking for feedback on how the server setup is. If it is good to play, if it has any connection issues or the like. Also, since I "merged" some mods I liked, it may happen to raise unexpected behavior.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

ronoaldo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:06
I am also looking for feedback on how the server setup is. If it is good to play, if it has any connection issues or the like. Also, since I "merged" some mods I liked, it may happen to raise unexpected behavior.
If you like it, then it is good, as then you might be able and willing to admin it.

To find problem, pl;ay everything you build in as a test. As when you find problems you might best be able to remember where it comes from (mods have and interactions)

make sure the installation of mods will still work under heavy load with about 20 gamer,
as of hardware, conf-settings and mods work together
nothing of them 3 might be the bottleneck - balanced

When that is working maybe I can try with 20 gamer login to see what happen when you get famous, and you might have no time anymore to fix this later. But I am far (high ping) so my results here in Thailand are not what local gamer in Southamerica might have.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Minix
In-game: Minix

by Minix » Post

I joined and explored the world for a while. The only issue I found was the mesecon wire taking about 3 pages of the craft guide as noted before. Apart from that, everything seems fine. Is this going to be a long-term server or just a test server ?

You might want to monitor RAM usage, since you are running ethereal it can fill up your RAM quickly if players explore a lot.

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

Minix wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 00:17
I joined and explored the world for a while. The only issue I found was the mesecon wire taking about 3 pages of the craft guide as noted before. Apart from that, everything seems fine. Is this going to be a long-term server or just a test server ?

You might want to monitor RAM usage, since you are running ethereal it can fill up your RAM quickly if players explore a lot.
Thank you for the feedback!

About the craft guide issue: this seems to be a bug in the Minetest Game 5.4 built-in craft guide, and this should be fixed soon. Issue tracking is here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/2843

This is going to be a long-time server, I plan to run it for a long time and to track the game/mods upgrades as they happen and as long as they don't break anything in the world. My interest is to work on the game development and hosting services too. (side note: coding and managing the game server is more fun to me than actually playing lol)

I have some swap space setup to prevent kernel OOM killing the server due to memory pressure, but as the usage grows, I'll upgrade the machine resources (CPU/Memory/Storage). There are some ways to monitor very carefully resource consumption using some metrics and dashboard's so I'l take a look at them too!

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

ronoaldo

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio: Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis

by ronoaldo » Post

Updated the original post to reflect the current serve mods and changed the title to reflect the server purpose better!

ronoaldo

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio: Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis

by ronoaldo » Post

Server Update

As we prepare to create a nice spawn point, we also added some extra features to our server:

New mods!
  • xdecor: nice forniture to our constructions
  • awards: cool progression awards towards the survival game
  • mtimer: display real time and world time!
The server backend storage also changed to LevelDB, so it should work a bit faster than our previous SQLite implementation.

SpinKitty

by SpinKitty » Post

I think you need to update the map you included. I think I located spawn on it, but there is nowhere near as much development shown in that area as I know there to be. Also, the area in which I'm building is not included on your map. I'm enjoying the server, though.
cdb_5563d58744e6

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

SpinKitty wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 04:56
I think you need to update the map you included. I think I located spawn on it, but there is nowhere near as much development shown in that area as I know there to be. Also, the area in which I'm building is not included on your map. I'm enjoying the server, though.
Good point! I'll update it. I'm willing to show case some player builds actually. Can you give me the x,y,z coordinates for your build? Until I have a full map viewer like Pandorabox.io, I'll keep the forum thread with some build showcase top view.

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

Mega Server Update on August, 20

This update includes several new mods!!! Join now and check it out!

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis [2021][BR]

by 0siribix » Post

I like the combination of mods here. Would be nice to have information about strengths/stats of the armors/weapons/tools. If left at default values they are very unbalanced (e.g. Obsidian Mese is much easier to obtain than nether tools and they are stronger than nether tools). Also I see a sprint meter but I haven't been able to sprint so I'm not sure how to use that. I believe nether was left at default values so it seems that it begins around -5000 and stops around -10000. There are some unknown nodes there and then everything is pretty boring lower than that since it all looks the same.

Consider migrating from protectors to areasprotector (I think that needs a better name :-p )
https://cheapiesystems.com/git/areasprotector/

I'm personally not a fan of Protector simply because it doesn't work with Areas. Warning: I don't think it will migrate existing areas protected with only protector blocks

Caverealms Lite adds lots of variety for lower caves. You will need to edit the Y values to keep nether from overlapping with it though.
https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/caverealms_lite

Also Techpack offers some great automation and is resource friendly.
https://github.com/joe7575/techpack

Drawers offers great storage capabilities but I've heard that it can cause lag for mobile devices
I have a fork of Drawers that works with techpack (requires my techpack addon tubelib_tweaks)

https://github.com/0siribix/tubelib_tweaks
https://github.com/0siribix/drawers

And lastly I have a Blink mod that I think is good for Survival and/or PvP servers. It is short distance teleport kind of like an ender pearl but reusable.
viewtopic.php?t=27163
Attachments
screenshot_20210912_225049.png
screenshot_20210912_225049.png (899.69 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Last edited by 0siribix on Sun Sep 19, 2021 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

ronoaldo

Re: [Server 5.4.0] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis [2021][BR]

by ronoaldo » Post

0siribix wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 03:57
I like the combination of mods here. Would be nice to have information about strengths/stats of the armors/weapons/tools. If left at default values they are very unbalanced (e.g. Obsidian Mese is much easier to obtain than nether tools and they are stronger than nether tools). Also I see a sprint meter but I haven't been able to sprint so I'm not sure how to use that. I believe nether was left at default values so it seems that it begins around -5000 and stops around -10000. There are some unknown nodes there and then everything is pretty boring lower than that since it all looks the same.
screenshot_20210912_225049.png

Consider migrating from protectors to areasprotector (I think that needs a better name :-p )
https://cheapiesystems.com/git/areasprotector/

I'm personally not a fan of Protector simply because it doesn't work with Areas. Warning: I don't think it will migrate existing areas protected with only protector blocks

Caverealms Lite adds lots of variety for lower caves. You will need to edit the Y values to keep nether from overlapping with it though.
https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/caverealms_lite

Also Techpack offers some great automation and is resource friendly.
https://github.com/joe7575/techpack

Drawers offers great storage capabilities but I've heard that it can cause lag for mobile devices
I have a fork of Drawers that works with techpack (requires my techpack addon tubelib_tweaks)

https://github.com/0siribix/tubelib_tweaks
https://github.com/0siribix/drawers

And lastly I have a Blink mod that I think is good for Survival and/or PvP servers. It is short distance teleport kind of like an ender pearl but reusable.
viewtopic.php?t=27163
Thank you very much for the input. I'll consider the suggestions for the next update 😊

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

0siribix wrote:
There are some unknown nodes there
The unknown nodes under the nether is either an engine bug or a nether bug. A workaround is to have the bottom of the nether set to -11072 (i.e. chunk aligned)

(I've added a ticket for it here, and asked about it here)

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 04:01
0siribix wrote:
The unknown nodes under the nether is either an engine bug or a nether bug. A workaround is to have the bottom of the nether set to -11072 (i.e. chunk aligned)

I'll go into that position and try to debug those nodes. Is there a way to "fix" that somehow? I'm using nether mod defaults but the map was created when server started, but never "cleaned up" after all the upgrades and infrastructure moves. Thanks for helping debug those issues :)

0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

I could probably find that easily. It happens when you have nodes in-game that were removed or renamed in an update. Probably can resolve by adding an alias or otherwise re-defining those nodes

ronoaldo

Re: [Server 5.4.1] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis [2021][BR]

by ronoaldo » Post

Small update - realtime worldmap:

Click the image to view

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 04:01
0siribix wrote:

Just noticed now. Thanks! I'll follow up on those linked issues :)

ronoaldo

Re: [Server 5.4.1] Mercurio - Minetest Game survival with Ethereal, Nether and Draconis [2021][BR]

by ronoaldo » Post

Also created a project since now I have several issues (added most from the thread, including the bugs and suggestions):

https://github.com/users/ronoaldo/projects/1

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

great, i will join this server as it seems very cool and i love the real time map! awesome.

i have a small list of mods request if not already included. hang glider, sailboat, climbing rope and rope with hook, as i love to climb big mountains and then hang glide from them.

not sure the mapgen, but tunneler's abyss have their own sweet ass mapgen called terrainbrot which creates oceans and huge tall mountains, bigger than any included mapgen from the MT engine. carpathian is the only default mapgen which is capable of making oceans, but still not like terrainbrot. terrainbrot is free software.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

chef trip wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 06:15
not sure the mapgen, but tunneler's abyss have their own sweet ass mapgen called terrainbrot which creates oceans and huge tall mountains, bigger than any included mapgen from the MT engine. carpathian is the only default mapgen which is capable of making oceans, but still not like terrainbrot. terrainbrot is free software.
😲

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

chef trip wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 06:15
great, i will join this server as it seems very cool and i love the real time map! awesome.

i have a small list of mods request if not already included. hang glider, sailboat, climbing rope and rope with hook, as i love to climb big mountains and then hang glide from them.

Nice! I've added your mods to the project roadmap! The roadmap is not fully in priority order maybe I'll add a voting mod so we can choose next additions! I'm monitoring perf. in order to avoid adding too much LAG (from the server side at least).

Mapgen is v7. I personally like this mapgen because of the way it kind of works for caves. Would terrainbot be able to work on mapgen v7?