How to play a simple game with friends

BloccoDiTerra

How to play a simple game with friends

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Hello everybody, my partner and I were trying to start a game together, but unfortunately we couldn't. Neither is able to host a game by having the other see that server in its list.
We both have Arch Linux, we both installed both minetest and minetest-server (this is to test if it worked).
We have followed these very simple steps, but sometimes it seems that the seemingly easier things are the hardest ones.
However, we both manage to enter without problems in any of the list of servers present in the game.
I state that we have also tried disabling both our firewall and that we are both connected to the Internet through the respective smartphone of each, not through a modem/router: could this be the problem? Is it necessary to forward the relative port also to create a "simple" server?
What are we doing wrong?
I conclude that for now we would just like to have a quiet game, we don't have the need to host a dedicated server yet.
Thank you to all!
BloccoDiTerra

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: How to play a simple game with friends

by Festus1965 » Post

are you on the same network ? in house ?
* if yes, the address might be very similar, and when start the server in terminal, you will get an answer what ip+port is used
* firewall ? of the mt-server PC, let the other PC get in from that other PC IP, or to that server PC IP-Port.

if both in other locations, mean connection over internet,
* the router of the server-PC hosting, need to know that incoming PORT have to be forwarded to that IP and port of the mt-server PC IP
* and again, the mt-server PC should have 'hole' in firewall to allow, maybe
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

BloccoDiTerra

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 05:54
are you on the same network ? in house ?
* if yes, the address might be very similar, and when start the server in terminal, you will get an answer what ip+port is used
* firewall ? of the mt-server PC, let the other PC get in from that other PC IP, or to that server PC IP-Port.

if both in other locations, mean connection over internet,
* the router of the server-PC hosting, need to know that incoming PORT have to be forwarded to that IP and port of the mt-server PC IP
* and again, the mt-server PC should have 'hole' in firewall to allow, maybe
We are in the same house, but since our location does not have an ADSL connection, we use our respective smartphones to connect to the Internet (Wi-Fi hotspot).
So isn't it possible to host a game simply via the game settings that are also seen in that video? Do I have to act via terminal and provide conf files, etc?
BloccoDiTerra

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 06:06
We are in the same house, but since our location does not have an ADSL connection, we use our respective smartphones to connect to the Internet (Wi-Fi hotspot).
So isn't it possible to host a game simply via the game settings that are also seen in that video? Do I have to act via terminal and provide conf files, etc?
Same house, same Router to login, mean local Wifi, and not ! via G3, G4 or G5 ?

moment, server+client and other client are running on a PC with Arch Linux,
but instead of connection this both PC with a Lan cable (direct , mmm --- OR 2 cable via a switch, or at that router ?)
you use at each PC the shared internet from the phone ?

mean
server PC --> phone --> wifi/hotspot router --> phone --> client PC ?

BloccoDiTerra

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 06:22
BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 06:06
Same house, same Router to login, mean local Wifi, and not ! via G3, G4 or G5 ?

moment, server+client and other client are running on a PC with Arch Linux,
but instead of connection this both PC with a Lan cable (direct , mmm --- OR 2 cable via a switch, or at that router ?)
you use at each PC the shared internet from the phone ?

mean
server PC --> phone --> wifi/hotspot router --> phone --> client PC ?
Thank you for your answers Festus, but forgive me: I'm not following you :(
So, each of us has our own laptop.
Each of us connects from own laptop to own smartphone (Wi-Fi hotspot) in order to access the Internet. Our smartphones connect to the Internet via 3G / 5G, now I don't remember...
In our house we do not have a modem or a router because the Internet does not arrive where we are, neither in the form of ADSL nor fiber.
I read in the Minetest wiki that if you simply want to play a game with someone, just host the aforementioned game by clicking on Host Server + Announce Server, and that instead hosting your own dedicated server is one more thing that we are not interested in for now. Is it possible, in our case and with our means, to play together in one of our games (therefore without entering someone else's public server)?
BloccoDiTerra

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

As using the smartphones via Gx, then the IP in internet of the phone at the mt-server PC might be the one, that should be used at the client PC to try to connect,
BUT I don't think, that service will allow a port like this, and the phone at the mt-server might not know to forward a request to port 30000, what to do.

For a local game, you don't need a internet,
try just a crossover (if still needed) LAN cable to connect both laptop direct with the ARJ port,
maybe it will work only with a cheap repeater or switch (5 port), or even can use a router NOT connected to internet, that offers at most 4 ARJ Lan ports and act like a switch.
but over the phones, I guess to difficult as of the port forwarding.

BloccoDiTerra

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:11
As using the smartphones via Gx, then the IP in internet of the phone at the mt-server PC might be the one, that should be used at the client PC to try to connect,
BUT I don't think, that service will allow a port like this, and the phone at the mt-server might not know to forward a request to port 30000, what to do.

try just a crossover (if still needed) LAN cable to connect both laptop direct with the ARJ port,
maybe it will work only with a cheap repeater or switch (5 port), or even can use a router NOT connected to internet, that offers at most 4 ARJ Lan ports and act like a switch.
Oh guy, thank you for your answer!
Now I can't try, but you think it can't work with just connecting via LAN cable? Do I necessarily also need a switch or maybe an offline router?
BloccoDiTerra

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 13:33
Festus1965 wrote:

Now I can't try, but you think it can't work with just connecting via LAN cable? Do I necessarily also need a switch or maybe an offline router?
IF your with an ISP then you can totally do this without additional networking equipment like a switch.

To do this, just look at the back of your ISP provided modern and there should be the data cable "Feeding into it", above/next to it should be at least 4 RJ45 (Ethernet) ports.

Hence you can connect up to 4 devices to your ISP provided modem without running out and buying a switch. Provided you got the Ethernet cables of course.

If not they are stupid cheap for 100Mbps/1Gbps or even 10Gbps ones. I got a 15FT 10Gbps for like 18 bucks lol.

BloccoDiTerra

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 13:38
BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:

IF your with an ISP then you can totally do this without additional networking equipment like a switch.

To do this, just look at the back of your ISP provided modern and there should be the data cable "Feeding into it", above/next to it should be at least 4 RJ45 (Ethernet) ports.

Hence you can connect up to 4 devices to your ISP provided modem without running out and buying a switch. Provided you got the Ethernet cables of course.

If not they are stupid cheap for 100Mbps/1Gbps or even 10Gbps ones. I got a 15FT 10Gbps for like 18 bucks lol.
No sorry, I meant LAN cable plugged directly from the first laptop to the second laptop, without a modem/router...
Unfortunately, we do not have a modem or a router precisely because the Internet does not arrive here.
BloccoDiTerra

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 14:27
Mineminer wrote:
BloccoDiTerra wrote:

No sorry, I meant LAN cable plugged directly from the first laptop to the second laptop, without a modem/router...
Unfortunately, we do not have a modem or a router precisely because the Internet does not arrive here.

Ah I see, then yea you will need this sort of setup...
Laptop1>Switch>Other devices

You can pick up a decent unit for $20 or less these days and if you can get one already used so you are easing the supply chain a tab.

If you don't live anywhere near a Electronic Thrift Store than online like E-Bay are good places to pick up second hand electronics.

stdh

by stdh » Post

...LAN cable plugged directly from the first laptop to the second laptop, without a modem/router...
That is indeed possible. Plug in the cable in both laptops, then for configuration it depends. If your desktop environment offers (somewhat) advanced options for network configuration, you should be able to choose "shared wired Ethernet" or some-such. This device will then act as a router with a DHCP server. The other laptop, if configured as a DHCP client (probably by default), will also set up an IP address in the same network and they should be able to reach each other. If the first laptop has an internet connection through your phone it will be forwarded to the other but you don't need this to play Minetest together.
Does this help?

BloccoDiTerra

by BloccoDiTerra » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 14:40
BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mineminer wrote:

You can pick up a decent unit for $20 or less these days and if you can get one already used so you are easing the supply chain a tab.

If you don't live anywhere near a Electronic Thrift Store than online like E-Bay are good places to pick up second hand electronics.
I get it, thank you infinitely for your help!
BloccoDiTerra

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

BloccoDiTerra wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 16:07
Mineminer wrote:
BloccoDiTerra wrote:

I get it, thank you infinitely for your help!
Awww you are always very welcome! :)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Mineminer wrote:

It should be possible to direct connect
laptop1 - cable - laptop2
maybe, if older need a old special cross connect cable

OR
just look for an used, or cheap used router or just a switch
then connect with 2 cable
laptop1 - cable - router or switch - cable - laptop2

in both cases check out the IP4 address or each laptop
and then use terminal and ping the IP addresses
* from laptop1 "ping IP" from laptop2 as 'ping 102.168.1.x" in most
* from laptop2 "ping IP" from laptop1

optimal both ping should return a response, NO lost

until her, and tell how it works, if ping works, as both laptop are in same segment, then also the client can connect to the mt-server