Grief-Proof Protection ideas?

Swiss
In-game: Swiss

Grief-Proof Protection ideas?

by Swiss » Post

Name says it all. I'm playing in old-school Minetest Server (S521) with only few basic rules (Behave in chat and no hacking). Griefing is very much allowed, and it's becoming a big problem nowadays. Couple years a go Admin would remove all the griefs, but recently he is active less and less.

I was thinking about building a huge glass platform above the land, but that will take plenty of time. Anyone got better ideas?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Grief-Proof Protection ideas?

by Linuxdirk » Post

As a player there is not much you can do. Does the server use a protection mod? If so, then protect your area and use locked chests, and double-layer steel doors, and 2 nodes thick walls only.

As admin you have plenty of options. For example: You could disable (either override or remove) "critical" nodes and objects or you could use a worldwide area that disallows everything and assign dedicated mining and building areas within the worldwide area.

Swiss
In-game: Swiss

by Swiss » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12
As a player there is not much you can do. Does the server use a protection mod? If so, then protect your area and use locked chests, and double-layer steel doors, and 2 nodes thick walls only.

As admin you have plenty of options. For example: You could disable (either override or remove) "critical" nodes and objects or you could use a worldwide area that disallows everything and assign dedicated mining and building areas within the worldwide area.
Server got Protection Blocks. But that doesn't stop players to flow whole area where house is with water and lava

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

As a server owner you could disable or restrict water or lava buckets and/or water or lava flowing. As a player all you can do is using the available protection functionality as good as possible.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

When you live in anarchy, you need to hide your base. Use the available protections as best you can. And still assume that when you leave your base in the morning it's going to have had lava dumped all over it anyway. So that means no open-roofed bases.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

I was playing 521 years ago, and griefing was no problem for me, as other player didn't get in.
As you have home and spawn you need even no entrance into or out from the base,
and so as before wrote - cover it in layers of lava on all sides.

The only danger on 521 special is a false reporting from some admin closed gamer, lying to him about good gamer without cheat or hack ... to break their defense by lying about them to the admin,
or maybe us short a hack to 'disable' a part of the defense and doing like defending gamer did a mistake.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

The best solution is not to play.

In my experience as a player, is to spread your wealth in various places and farm far far away from spawn. Expect griefing.

As server operator...

Disable fire.
Limit TNT to below ground as well as lava.
Limit water placement by priv or by height.
Check your protection mod will not allow for exploding things in it.

:)
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

artlog

by artlog » Post

maikerumine, I am interested to find how to implement your solutions

How did you do :

Disable fire.
Limit TNT to below ground as well as lava.
Limit water placement by priv or by height.
Check your protection mod will not allow for exploding things in it.

artlog

by artlog » Post

To update my previous post i took a look to maikerumine game https://github.com/maikerumine/ESM5 where i guess those were implemented, not sure actualy where, by example reading mods/tnt/ git log was not that helpful. This is currently above my current knowledge.

I am using a minetest_game and tnt by example is a default provided mod. I can't switch of game since there is already a quite huge world created with current installation. So i am now looking for how to correctly patch this

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

If you install a mod with the same name as a mod from the game and enable it, it should override the one from the game. For instance, LinuxForks' tnt (my mirror) adds a depth requirement to tnt.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

artlog

by artlog » Post

wow , that was exactly was i was looking for !