Creating a Server

Fishy22
In-game: Fishy22

Creating a Server

by Fishy22 » Post

I would like to create a server and I don't know what to do first. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Fishy22
-Fishy22

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Creating a Server

by Festus1965 » Post

Reading
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Fishy22 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 01:31
I would like to create a server and I don't know what to do first.
First you need to decide what do you want to do with the server. What game do you want to serve? Creative or survival? Anarchy or strict rules (or something in between)? How accessible do you want it for the community to be (i.e. forum, Discord, IRC, etc. for the server)? Then find out what mods do you need in order to achieve your goal.

It's always a good idea to set a fixed initial spawn point and build something around that spawn point showing the server's rules and features, and provide fast travel to interesting locations, maybe a shop system or tutorials for new players - but this entirely depends on what's the main topic/purpose of your server

Set up the server in a local testing environment and log in with an unprivileged user and, well, just play for some time as if this wasn't your server. Does it feel right? Is there something annoying? Then go back to the drawing board and adjust the settings, mods, rules, etc. so it's fun to play on the server.

When everything looks and feels right, make sure the host the server runs on is accessible from the Internet under a non-changing host name or IP address and announce the server to the server list and wait till it's visible in the server list. Ideally you now test if it's accessible from outside your network (ask a friend to connect and see if it works or try to connect using the mobile application while on data and not on WiFi).

If everything is configured and properly running. go advertise your server here in the forums, maybe fill the server's community interaction locations (a forum for the server for examlpe) with content, or create YouTube videos (a server let's play, showcase, etc).

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Why are we answering same question again and again ...

Google : search ...
site:minetest.net how to create a server
then choose and read :
* https://wiki.minetest.net/Setting_up_a_server
* viewtopic.php?t=8924
* viewtopic.php?t=7093
* viewtopic.php?t=14946

further there are even Youtube videos ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Fishy22

by Fishy22 » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05
Why are we answering same question again and again ...
Sorry...
-Fishy22

Fishy22

by Fishy22 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 07:26
First you need to decide what do you want to do with the server. What game do you want to serve? Creative or survival? Anarchy or strict rules (or something in between)? How accessible do you want it for the community to be (i.e. forum, Discord, IRC, etc. for the server)? Then find out what mods do you need in order to achieve your goal.

It's always a good idea to set a fixed initial spawn point and build something around that spawn point showing the server's rules and features, and provide fast travel to interesting locations, maybe a shop system or tutorials for new players - but this entirely depends on what's the main topic/purpose of your server

Set up the server in a local testing environment and log in with an unprivileged user and, well, just play for some time as if this wasn't your server. Does it feel right? Is there something annoying? Then go back to the drawing board and adjust the settings, mods, rules, etc. so it's fun to play on the server.

When everything looks and feels right, make sure the host the server runs on is accessible from the Internet under a non-changing host name or IP address and announce the server to the server list and wait till it's visible in the server list. Ideally you now test if it's accessible from outside your network (ask a friend to connect and see if it works or try to connect using the mobile application while on data and not on WiFi).

If everything is configured and properly running. go advertise your server here in the forums, maybe fill the server's community interaction locations (a forum for the server for example) with content, or create YouTube videos (a server let's play, showcase, etc).
Which application do you recommend to design a server? I'm new to this forum, so I don't know how to do most of this.
-Fishy22

skiphoppy

by skiphoppy » Post

There's not really an application for it.

Have you played on many minetest servers, yet?

Have you played singleplayer on your own machine, yet?

Have you run a local server on your own machine, yet?

Have you installed mods on your own machine, yet?

If you haven't done those things, you're not ready to run a public server. But it should be pretty easy to work through those things and then you may have a better idea of what you want to do.

Fishy22

by Fishy22 » Post

Yes, no, no, no
-Fishy22