Where do you even get a password?...

the_lisp_nationalist

Where do you even get a password?...

by the_lisp_nationalist » Post

Hey there...

Rather new-ish to MineTest, and I have never been able to connect to any server, ever...

The process is very confusing and frustrating...

I have read what other people say about this, and it seems to me that you choose _any_ password at first, that you then have to remember for the next connections...

But every one of my first connection is always rejected, due the password being "invalid"...

I understand that _some_ servers require an email and what not, but it can't be all of them, right?

And why in the world not put all the info needed, in the info-box right under the login/password fields...

Why let people "guess" if they need to get verified on a different website first...

Why be so "mysterious" about all this?

And what do you do, if you don't want to join discord?...

This is so confusing, I don't even know if I'm being clear about the info I need...

I love MineTest, but this aspect drives me nuts...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Where do you even get a password?...

by Linuxdirk » Post

There is no central account registry. You just enter a username and a password of your choice.

If the server replies that the password is invalid the user name is already taken on that specific server.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Sorry to hear it. You may be trying to take a really common user name, or have been really unlucky. If an account is already registered on a server with that name, you get the invalid password message.

No server I know of requires an email - minetest doesn't store info like that by default. Some of them enforce username and/or password requirements, such as not having an empty password or not using underscores or dashes - this extra requirements are done through mods, so they could be completely arbitrary. You shouldn't have any issues if you always enter a password though - if you don't meet the username/password policies, you should get kicked with a descriptive message.

If you mainly play on one server, it's not so bad to remember the password, unless if you were to take a big break. Also you could use a password manager that you don't have to remember passwords for any server or website at all, other than the master password of course.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Hi! Sorry to hear you have frustrating issues. One thing that you can try, specially if you are on Android:

* Open the Join Server tab.

* Wait for the server list to load.

* Click on Username and input your desired user. Try unique usernames because they may exist in the server already.

*Fill your password. After entering from Android UI, check it was not empty.

*Click Join/Enter

* The next screen, if you are doing a first time join, will ask you to confirm your password. Enter the same and continue.

Hope this helps. The basic point is, on Android input sometimes your password is cleared after server list is fully loaded, or sometimes the input is not captured properly. I'm not sure why, tho.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

its both a UI failure and also a security one too. I wonder how many minetest servers exist just to steal people's passwords for other things. Most users are not security minded and use one password for everything. So it's just a really bad idea in general. It would not be hard at all to simply generate a keypair on install and use this to authenticate each user.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

looks like your username is already taken.

if you enter a new name, you create a new player account.
if you enter an existing name and the password doesn't match you get the "wrong password" error.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

FrostRanger
GitHub: WulftheNordicRanger
IRC: FrostRanger FrostRanger[m]
In-game: FrostRanger FrostStar
Location: In the untamed wilderness of wherever I happen to be dimension hopping this time...

by FrostRanger » Post

I would also consider using a password manager such as keepassxc to safely store your passwords. This will also make it easier to create strong unique passwords for each server you play on - which you should absolutely do!
Sole ranger and ruler of the frozen realms of Cabin Fever and seeker of the ever elusive Dungeon Master...

the_lisp_nationalist

by the_lisp_nationalist » Post

Hey there! Thank you guys for all the responses, and sorry about the delayed answer...

I think this my have been my mistake... Because, now, I'm able to connect to many servers... Probably something to do with my wifi then...
Last edited by the_lisp_nationalist on Sun Dec 05, 2021 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

ywwv wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 07:22
its both a UI failure and also a security one too. I wonder how many minetest servers exist just to steal people's passwords for other things. Most users are not security minded and use one password for everything. So it's just a really bad idea in general. It would not be hard at all to simply generate a keypair on install and use this to authenticate each user.
Please stop spreading misinformation like this. Minetest uses a system called SRP where the server never sees the password. Just make sure you don't enter your password into anywhere else than the login and password change dialogs.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

the_lisp_nationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 00:21
Hey there! Thank you guys for all the responses, and sorry about the delayed answer...
late but search another thread I fall over this again ...

* invalid password can also be caused by using local language and special letters. Maybe as of using French code and this apostrophe
... but I never tried to make a password with the German special 4 leteters ue, oe, ae and ss - so not sure

* some server use a starting server password, but even don't offer that on there starting information, and if you don't know ... get always invalid also

* yes, as told, also already used nick names can cause it ...

I don't think it's as of wifi, as then you might have problems on all other websites also
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)