Hello.

Server:
mt570-dev
Celeron 2 Cores 2ghz 4Gb DDR2 120Gg SSD + 2Tb /var for:
postgresql database for the map only.

My client:
mt550-dev & mt570-dev
AMD Athlon 2 Cores 2.7Ghz 8Gb DDR2 Nvme 256Gb

My intranet is a 1 gigabit network, internally...
My internet connection is 250Mbit

To do some serious work on my world i need 100% speed in my 1 gigabit network, but when i test the speed by doing:
Server: dd if=some.random.4gib.bin bs=4096 count=262000 status=progress | nc -l -p 1
Client: nc server 1 > /dev/null

and dd told me 65Mbyte / Second and since 1000 Mbit / 8 = 120 Megabyte per second there's surely something wrong, right?

Can i get some help on that issue please?

And, i asked the very same question on linuxforum and the replies i got was how fast their internet was, they had their inlaws for a visit, the moon was blue, aka chit-chat about everything else other than answeing my questions:

Why the connection between my two computers on my intranet (Internal Network) doesn't transfer at full speed.

So beautiful people, no chit-chat :)
Playing minnoye ispytaniye on a Агат II, driving a Лaдa that goes 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Astrobe

Re: Slooow server

by Astrobe » Post

A slight correction: it is actually more accurate to divide by 10 when converting from bit to byte for (network) communications, because protocols add a few bytes to your data to do their networking-thingies.

A second remark is that makers like to play the one-kilo-byte-is-not-1024-bytes-because-we-are-prupheshionals-who-use-ISO-standards game, so that's maybe another 10% "margin of error".

This doesn't really explains the figures I get, you might say. In my experience, even when you push data so hard that your OS says, "wait, I can't take it anymore, my transmission buffers are full", you merely get 50% of the "advertised" bandwidth. I happen to have done that on an old Celeron (because reason, like you I guess) and an old 100Mb network.

One possible explanation is that, even though you think there's nothing going on on your network, machines tend to chat a lot, so you are unlikely to get the full bandwidth because both sides have to "insert" their data in the traffic (it's obvious for the server, but the client also does have to answer "ok, packet well received", that's how TCP works). You can see it for yourself with tcpdump or Wireshark.

Minetest mainly uses UDP, not TCP, so your benchmark is a bit off the mark. Because unlike TCP, UDP protocol does not have acknowledgements and congestion management (that's make it good for real-time stuff like games, video and audio: it's up to the application program to decide if and when something needs to be sent again).

I suggest you benchmark your raw server speed by dd-ing your file to /dev/null, just in case it is the actual bottleneck (Celeron is almost two decades old tech...).

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

mr_chicken wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30
To do some serious work on my world i need 100% speed in my 1 gigabit network, but when i test the speed by doing:
Server: dd if=some.random.4gib.bin bs=4096 count=262000 status=progress | nc -l -p 1

and dd told me 65Mbyte / Second and since 1000 Mbit / 8 = 120 Megabyte per second there's surely something wrong, right?
What is "serious work on my world"? A typical Minetest server (at least with me) with 8 active players needs approximately 3 MBit/s. 65 MB/s should be more than enough.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2022-08-18_15-51-34.png
Bildschirmfoto_2022-08-18_15-51-34.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mr_chicken wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30
My intranet is a 1 gigabit network, internally...
My internet connection is 250Mbit

Why the connection between my two computers on my intranet (Internal Network) doesn't transfer at full speed.
You need to be sure, that your hardware together (SSD, RAM and MB plus network connect) are also able to FEED the intranet
as even a 2.5 ltr/min water pump can't fill a 10 ltr/min pipe !

Did a speedtest Okula via nearest test point = test speed internet from that server, via internet, via router and intranet to your PC ... result ? same limit as intranet itsself ? (lower, or 250 max ?)

But so far, as I have a 960 GB Internet, and Gigabit proofed on intenet from server ... THAT is not a issue for gaming or map ... 5 GB would already make it I think,
for gaming better check some values in .conf
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:13
Celeron is almost two decades old tech...).
In this case it does look like an old Celeron because it's running on DDR2 memory, but Celeron as a brand persisted/has persisted for some time as the bargain basement tier of CPUs below i3. They are mostly 'mobile' (laptop) CPUs as far as I understand it. For instance I have a 2017 laptop that came with a 'Celeron', and there are Celeron SKUs as new as 2021 such as the Celeron N5100.

Also no disrespect to our glorious leader, celeron55 :)
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

mr_chicken
GitHub: root
IRC: Doris Day
In-game: Faded_Glory Rex_2000

by mr_chicken » Post

What is it with people today, no chit-chat!!!

Doesn't matter now, while reading a lot of stupid replies in different forums on this topic from people who see forums as some socializing event where they rather talk about the weather than giving a straight answer to a problem,
i've got so pissed off i turned my home upside down and found a cat6a cable and swapped it with the cat5 i've been using for a while.

So if you bother to read... no you wont, so here it is again:
SPEED TEST BETWEEN TWO COMPUTERS CONNECTED TO A ONE GIGABIT NETWORK !!!!!!!!!!

Cat5 Cable = 65-70 megabyte per second, while expecting 100-120
something wrong, right?
Yea, cat5 on a gigabit network is wrong.

So i switched cables, now with cat6a i get 117 megabyte per second.

Btw, How's the weather where you live, how's your mother doing, do you live in a cheerful neighborhood?
I don't care!
Playing minnoye ispytaniye on a Агат II, driving a Лaдa that goes 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mr_chicken wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 15:13
proofed fully your mistake - and no need to complain about others response
and as this fact was not even pointed out at your configuration explanation
no change to find it for every one else, as for me also was clear that with 1 GB you use Cat6

so next time, I might better not even read your next problem

also your Thread title is miss leading,
and you should change the topic to (solved) ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

mr_chicken wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 15:13
What is it with people today, no chit-chat!!!

[...]

Btw, How's the weather where you live, how's your mother doing, do you live in a cheerful neighborhood?
I don't care!
Hey, hello, I did try to address your issue. That kind of follow up does not make me feel like trying again to help you in the future. Remember we, here, are not responsible for your bad experiences in other places.

You complain about people "socializing" ; I get that. Nevertheless, you should keep some minimum social stuff in your comms, so people don't end up ignoring you (maybe that's what happening on the other forums?).

Just so you know, frankly, you sound like a spoiled kid.

The usual follow-up would have been something like "Thanks for your answer(s). I eventually found the problem, I was using the wrong type of cable".