Notes for PopOS server setup

s3rvant

Notes for PopOS server setup

by s3rvant » Post

I set out yesterday to setup a Minetest server on my local network for me and kiddos and settled on a PopOS 22.04 box I have room on. This was my first experience with Minetest and was quite frustrating to figure out so I am posting my notes here for any others it might help (and perhaps update the wiki).

Apt has minetest-server listed so installed from there and got version 5.4.1

This installed and auto-started a new service as minetest-server.service

This created a world located in /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/worlds

Similarly games from ContentDB should be placed in /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/games

Then can edit config file located at /etc/minetest/minetest.conf where can specify default game, etc.

After changing default game stop the service, delete the world and then restart the service

Fortunately came across a few user posts on Reddit and YouTube that mentioned bits of the above which helped piece it all together. Now server is running great and am able to enjoy the game.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Notes for PopOS server setup

by Blockhead » Post

This advice is generally good for all Debian-derivatives since this packaging is how the Debian project minetestserver package works as well.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂