[0.4.8] 0gb.us's basic server

User avatar
nextmissinglink
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:43
Location: Uranus
Contact:

by nextmissinglink » Post

Bearbar123 wrote:I will be giving tours to new players if we can get bring up. Once we do just send me a pm on here if you want a tour.
i want to join server :-(
IF in doubt hit it with a hammer
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply id10t ERROR
do not abuse me i am 11 and i like hitting things with a hammer that may include you
this is ment to be secret http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 467#p86467

User avatar
BenAmaranth
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 15:14

by BenAmaranth » Post

Id like to join to, but it seems the link to download the world from github is down
Air (you hacker you!)

User avatar
Bearbar123
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:44
Location: Washington

by Bearbar123 » Post

you don't need to download it, it's multiplayer
Hello I am a random panda

User avatar
BenAmaranth
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 15:14

by BenAmaranth » Post

Forgive me, lol. Ive never played Minetest multiplayer, I honestly have no clue how it works.
Air (you hacker you!)

User avatar
Bearbar123
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:44
Location: Washington

by Bearbar123 » Post

it's okay, you go to the multiplayer tab and then type in the server name on the thing without numbers below, thenn make sure the numbers say 3000, then type in a username and password and there way go
Hello I am a random panda

User avatar
rarkenin
Member
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:48

by rarkenin » Post

Bearbar123 wrote:it's okay, you go to the multiplayer tab and then type in the server name on the thing without numbers below, thenn make sure the numbers say 3000, then type in a username and password and there way go
The number is 30000. THIRTY thousand, not THREE thousand.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

User avatar
Bearbar123
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:44
Location: Washington

by Bearbar123 » Post

rarkenin wrote:
Bearbar123 wrote:it's okay, you go to the multiplayer tab and then type in the server name on the thing without numbers below, thenn make sure the numbers say 3000, then type in a username and password and there way go
The number is 30000. THIRTY thousand, not THREE thousand.
Yea i missed a 0
Hello I am a random panda

User avatar
BenAmaranth
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 15:14

by BenAmaranth » Post

Must be having some serious speed issues on my end. I can only get the immediate area around spawn to generate.
Air (you hacker you!)

User avatar
Bearbar123
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:44
Location: Washington

by Bearbar123 » Post

yea, alot of players are having that, i'm having it and i'm probably the closest player to 0gb
Hello I am a random panda

User avatar
rarkenin
Member
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:48

by rarkenin » Post

At least our IRC channel works...
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

User avatar
ungali
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 22:05
IRC: ungali
In-game: ungali
Location: Canada

by ungali » Post

Server's been down for a few days. :( And right when I got a working machine!
Minetest needs better music. And puppies.

User avatar
ungali
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 22:05
IRC: ungali
In-game: ungali
Location: Canada

by ungali » Post

Limux wrote:
ungali wrote:I've got a house for sale in High Royale, it's two story with a deck on top.
Maybe i'll buy it.
But what's the price?
Make an offer! Preferably a trade.
Minetest needs better music. And puppies.

User avatar
Adarqet
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:05
Location: Traveling with BorisGrishenko

by Adarqet » Post

I miss this server T_T

User avatar
Aqua
Member
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 09:11
Location: Sydney~Singapore
Contact:

by Aqua » Post

0gb.us or anyone else:
If you have a copy of this map can you please worldedit my shell/Sydney opera house looking thing. Just gimme the download link. I worked really hard on it, even despite the horrible lag.
Hi there ^.~

User avatar
Bearbar123
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:44
Location: Washington

by Bearbar123 » Post

hey aqua, you might want to try messaging 0gb
Hello I am a random panda

User avatar
Adarqet
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:05
Location: Traveling with BorisGrishenko

by Adarqet » Post

I don't think 0gb.us checks his emails anymore.

User avatar
rarkenin
Member
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:48

by rarkenin » Post

It appears that this server is going to be down indefinitely. I'm not able to get ahold of a copy of the world. While you sit bored through this intermission, you should contribute to Mosstest.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

User avatar
SSVidel
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 02:59

by SSVidel » Post

Hello any 1 on this thread?

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

I=Sadly no. I wish this server was still up (it was an amazing one) but 0gb.us was unable to host/tired of the drama to be able to host the server so rarkenin took over. Then rarkenin left and the server basically shutdown.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

User avatar
0gb.us
Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 01:55
Location: 0gb.us:30000
Contact:

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:I=Sadly no. I wish this server was still up (it was an amazing one) but 0gb.us was unable to host/tired of the drama to be able to host the server so rarkenin took over. Then rarkenin left and the server basically shutdown.
The server was not shut down, it's been running the whole time. It's just been getting slower and slower until no one could really join.

Which brings me to both the good news and the bad news. I have found the source of the slowness. You see, Minetest stores player data in files. It keeps these files loaded in RAM at all times. The more player accounts there are, the slower the server runs. And here's the worst part about that system: EVEN PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT LOGGED IN SLOW DOWN THE SERVER. Any time a user logged in once, created an account, and never came back, the server got even slower. Every time a user had a typo in the name they logged in with, the server got slower. Every time a user created a new account to view the skin they were wearing, the server got slower. I have removed the player accounts, and the server is like lightning now.

This means all your inventories and locations have been erased. If you lost anything important because of this, let me know and I will fix it on a case by case basis. If the server slows again, I will clear the accounts again, so store your important goods in chests. Any inventory lost in a future account clearing will NOT be restored, but you have an unlimited amount of time to claim your items from THIS clearing.

Please note that personal warp points you have set are stored in a better system (your warp points are loaded when you join the server and dumped when you part), and will not be cleared when the accounts are cleared. Also, due to your passwords being stored separately from your accounts, your passwords will not be reset.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Mon Sep 30, 2013 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

OK cool. Can't wait to play again..when I can get back to minetest.
Edit-will it be upfdated to 0.4.7?
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

Also I am applying to be a moderator. I would like to be one because I like to help people and I am not creative in making buildings of my own. Also I loved this server and was so sad to see it unjoinable and now that I know the old moderators are gone for good probably I am reapplying.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

User avatar
celeron55
Administrator
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

0gb.us wrote:Which brings me to both the good news and the bad news. I have found the source of the slowness. You see, Minetest stores player data in files. It keeps these files loaded in RAM at all times. The more player accounts there are, the slower the server runs. And here's the worst part about that system: EVEN PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT LOGGED IN SLOW DOWN THE SERVER. Any time a user logged in once, created an account, and never came back, the server got even slower. Every time a user had a typo in the name they logged in with, the server got slower. Every time a user created a new account to view the skin they were wearing, the server got slower. I have removed the player accounts, and the server is like lightning now.
I recall there has been some fixes and/or changes related to this recently. Make sure to update to 0.4.8 once that comes out. (To be more precise, the problem wasn't/isn't that they're kept in RAM; the problem was/is that they're *written* periodically even if they aren't modified. At least maybe.) (Also you appear to be running 0.4.7 while your post title says 0.4.6?)

User avatar
0gb.us
Member
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 01:55
Location: 0gb.us:30000
Contact:

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:OK cool. Can't wait to play again..when I can get back to minetest.
Edit-will it be upfdated to 0.4.7?
As celero55 said, the server is actually at 0.4.7. I switched on the first day it was available.
jojoa1997 wrote:Also I am applying to be a moderator. I would like to be one because I like to help people and I am not creative in making buildings of my own. Also I loved this server and was so sad to see it unjoinable and now that I know the old moderators are gone for good probably I am reapplying.
I already gave you the moderator gig the other day when you asked via IRC.
celeron55 wrote:
0gb.us wrote:Which brings me to both the good news and the bad news. I have found the source of the slowness. You see, Minetest stores player data in files. It keeps these files loaded in RAM at all times. The more player accounts there are, the slower the server runs. And here's the worst part about that system: EVEN PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT LOGGED IN SLOW DOWN THE SERVER. Any time a user logged in once, created an account, and never came back, the server got even slower. Every time a user had a typo in the name they logged in with, the server got slower. Every time a user created a new account to view the skin they were wearing, the server got slower. I have removed the player accounts, and the server is like lightning now.
I recall there has been some fixes and/or changes related to this recently. Make sure to update to 0.4.8 once that comes out. (To be more precise, the problem wasn't/isn't that they're kept in RAM; the problem was/is that they're *written* periodically even if they aren't modified. At least maybe.) (Also you appear to be running 0.4.7 while your post title says 0.4.6?)
The file writing may be an issue as well, but the game definitely holds the files in RAM. When I log in as the only online player then delete all the player files, even the files for accounts that are not logged in are written back to the disk. I don't have a whole lot of RAM to begin with, so I doubt holding on to all the player data all the time can be good for performance. Maybe the fact that the files aren't constantly being written to disk will offer a speed boost though.

Yeah, I sort of neglected to upkeep the topic header near the end before I left, and the version number is wrong. I'll fix that.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Tue Oct 01, 2013 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:Also I am applying to be a moderator. I would like to be one because I like to help people and I am not creative in making buildings of my own. Also I loved this server and was so sad to see it unjoinable and now that I know the old moderators are gone for good probably I am reapplying.
Sorry I completely forgot. So much going on I don't remember how long ago I did something
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests