Tinas (This Is Not A Server)

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Tinas (This Is Not A Server)

by Casimir » Post

Short explanation:

Sharing a world/map. Playing Singleplayer on it. Hosting this map on a server.

Long explanation:

Complicated to explain (I always have problems explaining things).
The first time I played minecraft I had a strange idea. You know games like second life and world of warcraft have one big world everyone plays in, and reality itself is just one world, for minecraft there were a lot of small servers. Minecraftworld can be infinite, there is always enough space for everyone, so I had the idea of one big world in minecraft. That world would be hosted decentralised (in some obscure way I don't know). Due to the decentralisation the "server" wouldn't have any downtimes and would be powerful enough for all the people to play on. In fact it would be bigger the more players play. Because everyone who plays can host a "part" of the server.
But minecraft is closed source so it was not possible.

Then I found minetest and now I try to start something like this. Step by step. Starting with the things I can do, building on those I have done.
The easiest thing is to share a world, just like the normal worlds in minetest. You download it, build things and upload it again. Somebody else downloads your version, builds something else and uploads it again. And so on.
Next step is making an actual server. Not a permanent one - there is no need to. Just a server running for some time. Starting with the latest version of the map, people join, build stuff and when the server is shut down, the world will be uploaded again. Then somebody else can make a server with the same map and host it.

How to use:

Playing at the own computer:
- Look at the end of the tread. There you will find the last map. It won't be updated in the first post.
- Download and extrude it. Put it into the "worlds" folder in your minetest.
- Just play and build and mine and stuff. As long as you like. (Alternatively make a server.)
- (write your name in the licence.txt)
- Compress the map (as .zip .tar.gz or something else) upload that one somewhere.
- Post the link into this Thread.
- Return to step 1.

Playing at a temporary server:
- Look at the end of the tread. If there is somebody having a server with this map then
- Join. Just like on a normal server, because it is a normal server.

licence of the map: cc-by-sa
This licence applies to everything this map contains. Buildings and stuff.

==original post==
Just that simple:
A map upload somewhere decentralised.
Everyone can make a server using this map or play in Singleplayer.
Re-upload the new map.

So there would be like one big map and you can do with it what you want. No "this server is to slow", "I don't like the mods", "I don't like the moderators", "I don't like the rules" and so on.

But I don't know where to host. Freenet would be the best*, but it is very resource intensive. About owncloud I don't know much. Github is to complicated. And uploading everywhere is not a nice solution but it is something to start with.

Tomorrow (or some other day) I will start this (or someone else will do).

*Completely decentralised, saves all versions, "forgets" everything that is not used.
Last edited by Casimir on Sat Feb 01, 2014 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

http://ompldr.org/vZ243ZA/Tinas%201.zip

First time set up:
In your "games" folder make a copy of "minetest_game" and rename it to "tinas". This will prevent your mods to flood the world with objects others don't have.
Now you just have to download the latest version and play.

Reupload a new version:
Add the versionnumber (last one +1) and post here.

In the world files I added a "licence.txt". Feel free to add your name to the list. The licence is cc-by-sa. Keep in mind that everything you create in this world will be cc-by-sa.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

Casimir wrote: Tomorrow (or some other day) I will start this (or someone else will do).
so, somebody will do it someday? LOL xD
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

great christmas wish... just like
Deas santa, i wish somebody will make me a present someday...
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

You might have noticed that I did it my self on the next day (also known as "tomorrow") ;)

New version: http://ompldr.org/vZ29uNQ/Tinas%202.zip

I thought about what happens when two people play the world independent from each other and upload their versions. Something very interesting: Selforganisation/Evolution. The better one wins and continuous, the other one won't. Griefing makes no sense here.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I'm trying to run a temporary server. Could anyone please try and tell me if it is working.
IP: 92.75.115.185 Port: 30000

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

I can't understand what that does.
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Complicated to explain (I always have problems explaining things).
The first time I played minecraft I had a strange idea. You know games like second life and world of warcraft have one big world everyone plays in, and reality itself is just one world, for minecraft there were a lot of small servers. Minecraftworld can be infinite, there is always enough space for everyone, so I had the idea of one big world in minecraft. That world would be hosted decentralised (in some obscure way I don't know). Due to the decentralisation the "server" wouldn't have any downtimes and would be powerful enough for all the people to play on. In fact it would be bigger the more players play. Because everyone who plays can host a "part" of the server.

Then I found minetest and now I try to start something like this. Step by step. Starting with the things I can do, building on those I have done.
The easiest thing is to share a world, just like the normal worlds in minetest. You download it, build things and upload it again. Somebody else downloads your version, builds something else and uploads it again. And so on.
Next step is making an actual server. Not a permanent one - there is no need to. Just a server running for some time. Starting with the latest version of the map, people join, build stuff and when the server is shut down, the world will be uploaded again. Then somebody else can make a server with the same map and host it.

p.s. Anyone tried to join?
Last edited by Casimir on Sun Dec 23, 2012 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Now it should work. Anybody testing? ;)

Can a mod move this to maps or server, just where you think it belongs to.
Last edited by Casimir on Sun Dec 23, 2012 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

Casimir wrote:Complicated to explain (I always have problems explaining things).

p.s. Anyone tried to join?
So it's like a P2P map system?
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I don't know any p2p map system, but basically yes.

New version: http://ompldr.org/vZ3RiaA/Tinas%203.zip

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

[edit]

The server will be up for about 2 hours (of as long as I am present here in the forum). Just join.
You will have interact-privilege by default.

Mods:
- autoplant
- drowning
- growing
- fullinventory
Last edited by Casimir on Thu Jun 19, 2014 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

while im quite shure that this experiment is gona fail i think it would be a quite interesting idea having a distributed server-structure, the only problem is that you have to trust everybody running a part of the server…
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I think it's gona fail too, but at least I tried. Not because of technical reasons. It's just the number of participants, which is 1 (me).
Iqualfragile wrote:the only problem is that you have to trust everybody running a part of the server…
Don't look at this project as something with a long-term goal, it is already working, better than I expected. All the things that could follow are just improvements.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Casimir wrote:You might have noticed that I did it my self on the next day (also known as "tomorrow") ;)

New version: http://ompldr.org/vZ29uNQ/Tinas%202.zip

I thought about what happens when two people play the world independent from each other and upload their versions. Something very interesting: Selforganisation/Evolution. The better one wins and continuous, the other one won't. Griefing makes no sense here.

Clarification request.

What happens when two or more people upload version 203?

Is there a single upload/download site that everyone accesses?

How will the combined map info be handled when two or more people build in the same spot of the map? (Pablo from Spain builds in the same spot that Huyen from Viet Nam builds and they both upload their versions of the map.) Unless the map is somehow parceled out so that a player is assigned that parcel and that parcel only.

An interesting idea. Pass or fail it is a worthy concept.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

For example I upload version 4 (the %20 in the links is because of the space) and say that I griefed all over the place. You upload version 4 and a screenshot of a wonderful building you made there. Then the next people will prefer your version. That would be more difficult if we both make wonderful buildings, but then one of us could use worldedit to save his building and reinsert it again into version 5.

This is how it would work now. There is only one worldfile. If we could split that up into many files that represent worldchunks it would partly work better, but would become more complicated in many ways. If one player builds something in area A and another builds something in area B, both can be uploaded. But that would require some program managing all the files (and automatic up and download) and an algorithm to choose which chunkfile to prefer if both players build in area A.
Is there a single upload/download site that everyone accesses?
That would destroy the whole idea behind that ;) . In the first post I mentioned own-cloud and the freenet-project which could be free standards for that. If the map is spilt up into parts (like mentioned above) a common place to upload would be required. And that should be decentralised to.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Up again.

[edit]

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Ok, let's see what happens.

There is a way to include mods with the world by creating a subfolder in the "worlds" folder, ie:
hard-drive/minetest/worlds/TINAS/worldmods/included_mod_folders

When the world is downloaded and unzipped into the minetest/worlds folder, all the mods used will be with it, ready to go. No other installation required.

The mods I've added are: moreblocks, stairs+,xdoors, and xpanes. From a design standpoint of view, these mods really enhance the designbuild potential.

Here is TINAS 204
http://ompldr.org/vZ3Y0bg/Tinas04_2012_12_28.zip

Screenshots (Misa texture pack):

Singleplayer House
Added - cistern, steps, fence/railing, bushes in front of window

Tunnel
Changed - enlarged, added support beams and gravel path.

Added: waterfall, pond, path

Added: House 001

House 001 - 1st Floor

House 001 - 2nd Floor

House 001 - Attic

House 001 - Area Nightshot

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I just was about to give up :D
The valley has a very nice atmosphere.

I'm now running that world at:
[edit]

mods:
moreblocks
stairs+
xdoors
xpanes
autoplant
drowning
growing
fullinventory

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I wanted to try it out too, so I downloaded Tinas04 for singleplayer and uploaded Tinas05. I made very small watchtower looking out over spawn and a little hideout under it. I put LazyJ and my name in the License.txt as you asked in your post.

Tinas05:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65428713/Tinas05_2012_12_29.zip

Screenshot from the watchtower looking at LazyJ's house (default texture pack):

Edit: typo
Last edited by Topywo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

davidpace

by davidpace » Post

Alright! I am trying to join the server!

[EDIT] I can't connect D: is it down?

EDIT Guess I'll play it later then..
Last edited by davidpace on Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

It is up, but I get the message that you time out and "peer_id=3: failed to emerge player". Don't know what that means.

edit: now down
Last edited by Casimir on Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I tried to connect the server just a minute ago, but it didn't connect either.

Edit: Nvm, saw your edit... in the previous post.
Last edited by Topywo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

The server had no sense since nobody could connect.

This version is with Topywos tower (and of course the rest) and some more buildings (when you go more to the north):
http://ompldr.org/vZ3Y5Yg/Tinas%206.zip
xfence added
Last edited by Casimir on Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

TINAS 207
http://ompldr.org/vZ3dpdg/Tinas_207_2013_01_01.zip

Added Mod
Mauvebic's Bookmarks mod.
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2321

This mod enhances the "/teleport" command by allowing players to set teleport locations using titles instead of numbers and those locations are bookmarked for later use in the /minetest/worlds/bookmark.go file.

Bookmark commands:
/setgo <title> Sets the teleport location with a title name.
/listgo Lists all the bookmarks that have been set.
/go <title> Go (teleport) to the specified location of the title name.

ie:
"/setgo casimir_singleplayer_house" will create a bookmark called "casimir_singleplayer_house".
"/go casimir_singleplayer_house" will teleport you to that location from whereever you are at in the tinas world.

Currently bookmarked:
  • casimir_singleplayer_house
  • lazyj_house_001
  • topywo_lookout_tower
  • outside_theater
  • stalactite_cavern

Added Creations:
  • Path from casimir_singleplayer_house to tunnel.
  • Stalactite_cavern, an underground passage that links the valley path/pond/waterfall to topyywo's lookout tower.

Question:
So far we have three players develping the Tinas world seperately; how do we merge our creations?
Last edited by LazyJ on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51, edited 1 time in total.