Tinas (This Is Not A Server)

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

For the version I uploaded I used worldedit. But it is quite complicated.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Version 208:
http://ompldr.org/vZ3dqeQ/Tinas%208.zip

Build a little bit here and there, not much new stuff.
New Bookmarks:
tea-house
deep_mine

Maybe it's easier when the time between the versions is smaller. So when two people do something parallel nothing much is lost, because the versions don't differ to much.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Before the days of electronic communication, long-distance chess players of old would mail the position of the pieces, one move per mailed letter at a time. Perhaps this vision of yours would be better served by employing such technique with worldedit?

I'm not very good at explaining either, so, please, bear with me. Maybe some of the following gibberish will make sence.

The chess board = tinas world.

The chess pieces = worldedit files.

Once a month, the most current version of the tinas world is posted for new players and infrequent players to download.

Between these monthly postings, regular players post worldedit files of their creations in the tina world *instead* of posting the entire tinas world.

Yes, worldedit is a bit complicated at first. Perhaps a short primer, specific to how tina world worldedits are to be done, could be created.

IE:
When posting a worldedit file to be added to the tinas world, coordinates for pos1 and pos2 must be posted along with the link to the worldedit file as well as screenshots of the construct that is in the worldedit file.

If every player is using the same map (seed), and they do the worldedit coords right, everything should fit neatly together. Be it buildings separated far from one another or paths/road connecting to one another.

Worldedit has a very particular requirement when placing worldedit files in the world. Pos1 must be the closest, lower-most, left corner and worldedit places the object starting in that corner and moves out forward, up and to the right. This is why pos1 and pos2 must be calculated correctly and posted.

I recommend using a mese block for pos1 and a steel block for pos2 and including them in the screenshots so players who wish to add the worldedit file have a better idea of the placement and orientation. Mese blocks and steel blocks are unique and easily identifiable. By insisting that players use them when creating worldedit files for tinas world, the convention will become a standard in tinas world. Players will come to recognize mese block = pos1 and steel block = pos2. This has worked for me because before I would forget which block was pos1; even worse when working underground. Mese block meant pos1 and whereever the steel block was, that indicated the direction worldedit was going to place the object. Too many times I only used pos1 and the worldedit object was placed behind me instead of in front where I was expecting it to show up. If it is a big object, a lot of damage was done very quickly. (Which is why it is always a good idea to make a backup copy of your world before doing anything big with worldedit.)

Next, use //p set on the mese block and steel block to get pos1 and pos2.

Next, use //p get to list the coords for both pos1 and pos2

Post pos1 and pos2 coords along with screenshots and the worldedit file(s).

To the player who wishes to place the worldedit object in their tinas world, set a mese block in the coords of pos1, then do the same with a steel block in the pos2 coords. By doing this, the player can see exactly where, in what direction, and how much space the worldedit object will be.

If all the players are using the same tinas world map seed, and they are all using the same worldedit conventions to place the creations of the other players of that tinas world, and a monthly download of the current-state tinas world is made available, then the issue of mismatched versions amongst players of the tinas world will be lessened. There is still the possiblility of builds overlapping if they are large or the player doesn't have a current monthly download of the map; but then that just proves how important it is to include the worldedit pos1 and pos2 coords in the post and the player's resposibility to survey and stake-out the area with a mese block and a steel block *before* placing the worldedit object.

This is a lot of extra work, yes, and because of that only those who are seriously interested will participate. A characteristic that is welcome on any Minetest server. Tinas world play could possibly be used as a sort of proving ground before players are accepted in more "select" servers.

Are you still awake?

Did you actually read this far??

Kudos if you did!

Ok, I'm done. (LazyJ steps down from the speech stump)
Last edited by LazyJ on Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I like the idea with worldedit. It is especially good for those who build single buildings. But I think that the part with the monthly update won't work. This would require someone merging all the stuff into the world and then uploading it. That would be to work not fun.
I think the best thing would be to do both. Upload the shems if you don't want to interfere with other versions, or upload the map. So you are still free to do what you like and we need no fixed organisation.

btw. new version
http://ompldr.org/vZ3hrbw/Tinas%209.zip
Build a small well and something in the desert.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

TINAS 210
http://ompldr.org/vZ3p3Yg/Tinas_210_2013_01_08.zip

Added
  • More paths and wayfinding signs
  • Trellis
  • Desert villa with water fountain in the court yard
  • Bookmarks

Desert Villa

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Now with map!
http://ompldr.org/vaDk1ag/Tinas211.zip
Added a moonlight tunnel, paths and more.

davidpace

by davidpace » Post

Okay I'll try this.
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

We already have version number 212!

Download:
http://ompldr.org/vaGQwOA/Tinas212.zip

Map:
http://ompldr.org/vaGQwNA/Tinas212.png
On the upper right side you see that the mapgen has changed, so one question: should we include "landup"? Because we are going to have those edges anyway.

build:
- new house
- finished the moonlighttunnel
- and more

new mods:
- (some version of) farming
- bed
So you can play survival with this map.

deleted mods:
- xdoors (they are default now)
Last edited by Casimir on Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

very cool idea! :D I'm loving it.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

No world update in this post. Just wanted to ask a question and post that work is still being done on this project.

Question
Casimir wrote:new mods:
- (some version of) farming
- bed
So you can play survival with this map.
When you say "(some version of)" farming, do you mean that you don't know which version of PilzAdam's mod it is or do you mean it is a mod that you have altered?

I ask because I want to know if I should add the latest verision of PilzAdam's farming and farming_plus mods.

Progress Report
I've added Paramat's landup v0.1.2 to the mods as well as VanessaE's moretrees and plantlife mods and Splizard's snow mod (snow fall disabled). These mods really add to the visual appeal of the TINAS world.

The landup mod doesn't add any new blocks or textures that don't already exist. If the land-up mod is too much for your computer, remove it while working on your version of the TINAS world and then put it back in before uploading your version of the world. Let the contributors to the TINAS world who have computers strong enough for the landup mod generate the high mountains. You don't need to have landup installed to be able to enjoy the mountains created by other computers.

The plantlife and moretrees mods are slow growing so they aren't an excessive burden on the cpu. I've enabled the beech trees on my computer but will disable them before uploading. (See VannessaE's post on the subject of beech tree lag).

Splizard's snow mod adds snow biomes to the world. I've disabled the snow fall because it would snow everywhere, sporadically, leaving odd patches of snow. Splizard says he will work on this more when the next version of Minetest implements things that aren't available yet.

I haven't used worldedit to transfer large sections before. The moonlight tunnel took several attempts to understand what the limits of worldedit are. Mines and underground builds present a unique challenge when transfering with worldedit (I also added the most recent update to worldedit - more functions like spheres, cylinders, and the ability to fix lighting errors which was used in the moonlight tunnel after worldediting it into my working copy of TINAS.). I don't think I will include unfinished builds and resource mines in my working copy of TINAS. I'll make note of where the unfinished builds are to reserve space for when they are done. I'll also note were the resource mines are cut off (if connected to a build).

Suggestions
As TINAS gets bigger with more builds, it would be helpful if screenshots of new builds (big or small) with coords in the screenshot were posted so future participants can find them in the TINAS world as well as pick and choose what they want to add to their working copies of TINAS. (Bookmarking builds would also help in locating new additions.) Screenshots would also help generate interest in the project. Another factor, as often pointed out in new mod releases, pics = clicks. TINAS participants may be more interested in adding the builds they see in screenshots rather than the ones they read about.

Another suggestion is to post any significant changes to your existing builds so we know to update them in our working copies.

Learning to manage all this TINAS stuff is part of the evolution. :)
Last edited by LazyJ on Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

So it seems we both build a lot parallel to each other - we might need to update more often.

Generally, I think it is better not to import things others did into an own world - but the opposite, put the own stuff into the latest version. You can only import the things you know of, and you know best the stuff you did yourself. Always updating an own copy will cause this copy to be always incomplete and outdated. And when there are more people participating you need to copy the changes of for example five people into you map (five times work), instead of only copying your stuff (one time work).

On farming:
It was a version I did my self, but I removed it again, so you can use the latest by Adam.

On the other mods:
I would be careful about adding to much mods. Some will cause the map to be messed up very soon. That is a problem with a lot of servers out there, they are all messy. This was one reason why I stared this, with being different in its core-structure I hoped Tinas would not end up like this.
For worldedit you don't need to include it in the worldmods folder. Put it into minetest/mods/Tinas . So you can use the version you like best. You can do that with all the mods that don't add new nodes.

On landup:
I thought about it. The world is already big enough, and when generating much more it will get very big, with most of the space unused. Just take a look on the maps I posted above, the area where the buildings are is quite small.
So it would be the best if we could stop the game from generating new parts - or just don't go to the borders. There will also be a lot of updates to the mapgen and landup, and everytime we will have those edges where the old mapgen stops and the new starts. So it would be intelligent to stop generating until we need more space, then someone generates a lot of chunks at once, then we wait again.

Here my Version213(b), we will see how we get those two merged together:
http://ompldr.org/vaGg1Nw/Tinas213_20130215.zip

Build new:
- Restaurant "The Cooked Rat"
- improved the "Theater"
- Added another Moonlight tunnel, connecting the mine with the rest
- A lot of other suff

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

TINAS 214 LazyJ
http://ompldr.org/vaGx2NA/Tinas214_LazyJ_2013_02_27.zip

Based on Casimir's Tinas213 Map
In an earlier post I mentioned that I had included the LandUp, MoreTrees and Plantlife mods. Casimir then provided more guidance for the TINAS project suggesting not to use these mods as they may cause more clutter and messy map generation. Following Casimir's suggestion, I scrapped the version I was working on and based my current contribution to the project (TINAS214_LazyJ) on Casimir's TINAS213 map.

However, there may be some LandUp mountains/cliffs/plateaus. During development I switched over to my laptop, loaded the map and realized that I hadn't disabled landup on my laptop. Hopefully I shutdown the map before too much was generated.

I've "built" some trees (adding rope to simulate vines or willow trees). These did not come from the MoreTrees mod (inspired by but not generated by).

Of other note, inside Casimir's farmhouse, there is an unknown block (tablesaw). I didn't remove it.

Construction Sites (proposed idea)
One of my concerns when building in TINAS is, "Am I building in the exact same spot someone else is?"

For the past few TINAS submissions, Casimir has had a building with a sign out front saying "Under Construction". This gave me an idea.

The idea of a "construction site" is to mark a spot in the map where you intend to place your next build. This is not meant to be a land grab, just pick a small space where you think your next building will fit into. I've marked a hilltop with four, superglowglass columns with signs saying, "Construction Site - LazyJ". I plan to build a shrine or temple in the next version of TINAS.

This way, whoever decides to contribute to the TINAS project will know roughly where other contributors plan to build.

Casimir has expressed a desire for more frequent updates. Bigger, more intricate builds require more time. Add to that, real-life demands on our time make quick updates to TINAS not always possible. Perhaps "Under Construction" and "Construction Sites" could be a workable solution to the infrequent update problem?

Roads Proposal
At the moment, TINAS is small enough for footpaths. Hopefully it will expand. Infrastructure planning may be more effective in the early stages of map development rather than later.

The server I play on has a couple, straight-shot, roads linking far-flung towns. Some of the roads were built as an afterthought. The afterthought roads were more difficult to build in order to avoid structures. They also look very similar in size and materials to the walkways making it harder to distinguish between the roads and the walkways.

The specs I've been using for footpaths are 2 block-wide center, 1 block-wide shoulders. Total width = 4 blocks. Slabs for steps whenever possible, stairs when the incline is too steep. Occasionally I'll add a different block type for visual variety and to make it look like the inhabitants of TINAS have made some repairs to the paths or that nature has reclaimed a few spots with grass or wind-blown sand. I like the crunchy sound of gravel in footpaths but to add a little variety, I use stone instead in the desert biomes.

Main roads should be wider. 3 wide in the center with 1 wide shoulders or 4 wide center with 2 wide shoulders, for example.

Besides size as a visual difference between paths and roads, perhaps main roads should also be constructed of different but consistent materials (ie: stonesquare or coalstone as the road material itself).

I like the natural look of stone-and-wood worlds that Minetest engenders. Modern day, super-highways of asphalt and blinking signs just don't fit well. Since I can't afford a house in the country, Minetest is the closest thing I have to escape from the madness, congestion and visual noise of the "modern" world.

Mod Proposal - Linking Books
If you have ever played Myst or Riven, then you'll know what a Linking Book is.

A Linking Book is a book that teleports a player to a different location by punching the book. The book behaves like a sign in that you enter the name of the destination, so when a player mouses-over the book the title of the destination shows. In the second field the coordinates of the destination are entered.

Once setup, linking books are more player-friendly than the default teleport command. Linking Books can also add another element to adventure maps and survival maps. Just some possibilities to consider.

To remove a linking book requires worldediting it out as "digging" the linking book only results in teleporting you.

Mauvebic, the author of the bookmarks mod that we are currently using, went a step farther and created Linking Books in his RivenTest game for Minetest. I hacked out just the Linking Book part and use it in my own worlds on my hard drive. I don't know what licensing would work if we were to implement this hacked mod into TINAS.

At the moment TINAS is still small so linking books are not necessary yet. But, when/if the day comes that TINAS has grown substantially, linking books might be something to consider (if Minetest doesn't already have a more advanced, default teleport feature by then). Perhaps when the time comes, a couple "Linking Book" library buildings would be useful as main teleport centers to all areas of the TINAS world.

Added
  • Map of the currently developed area
  • Map at the default size.
I used the minetest_mapper tool to generate both maps with the drawscale option to include coordinate scales along the top and left. There is a quirk to this tool; it uses a "z" axis in place of Minetest's "y" axis. So, when looking at the leftt-hand side of the maps, the "z" coords translate into the "y" coords in Minetest.

The geometry option specifies the area of the map to be rendered. That is how I was able to generate a map of just the currently developed area.

Added Mods
  • Noncubic 1.4 mod - single-block spheres, cylinders, angles, posts, pyramids, and other shapes to compliment moreblocks and stairsplus design options. I used this mod to create a smooth-edged, diagonal bridge, cylindrical chimney pipes with pyramid caps, spherical post-top adornments, and a horizontal cylindrical mail box (reminiscent of the kind found in rural America).
  • PilzAdam's Farming and Farming Plus mods (2013_02_16 version) - I've combined these into a modpack to help keep things tidy. Unlike the Plantlife mod, the farming mods don't generate randomly all over the place. Now TINAS has some more plant variety that is still under control.
  • Calinou's MoreOres mod - Occasionally, I like to create gold-domed buildings. Meseblocks aren't as attractive with the word "MESE" on them. MoreOres adds gold and silver blocks for building and gold and silver lumps (along with other metals) to add to the bottoms of streams and ponds as pretty stones in the water. (Koi fish mobs would be nice to have too someday).
Added Builds
  • Diagonal bridge using noncubic mod
  • A pond and waterfall under the diagonal bridge
  • Blacksmith Shoppe
  • More footpaths to existing builds
  • More way-finding signs to new builds
  • A rural-American style mail box ("Casimir Farm") using noncubic mod.
  • A pond near Casimir's farm

Updated