[Server] VanessaE's Creative Server [5.4.0]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: VanessaE's Creative Server [git]

by VanessaE » Post

Oh G*d no, definitely NOT. I hate voice chat programs. Besides, people can just use skype if they need to.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

umm... why did I get banned??

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I've sent you a forum PM about it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Can you un-rollback the stuff I built?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Unfortunately no, the engine's rollback feature only goes backward. There is no "rollforward". :-(

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I wish there was a faster pickaxe, iron blocks take a long time to break even with a titanium pick.
There should be a tool that can break all types of blocks really fast, but is only available in creative.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Use an "Evil" pick on steel blocks, bricks, stone and most anything else that's hard. On soft stuff, use an "evil" shovel.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Thanks!

I found an unknown block connected to some technic cables, have you removed any blocks from technic? It was in the underground city, so it's pretty old. I mined it to see what it was, but it turned into an unknown ITEM. Is there a way to find the "modname:itemname" of an unknown item or block?

There was a sign next to the tunnel that led to it, saying "random power radiator"

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

12Me21 wrote:Thanks!

I found an unknown block connected to some technic cables, have you removed any blocks from technic? It was in the underground city, so it's pretty old. I mined it to see what it was, but it turned into an unknown ITEM. Is there a way to find the "modname:itemname" of an unknown item or block?

There was a sign next to the tunnel that led to it, saying "random power radiator"
doesn't F5 help to identify nodes simply by pointing?

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

twoelk wrote:
12Me21 wrote:Thanks!

doesn't F5 help to identify nodes simply by pointing?
I had already mined it and it turned into an item, so now I can't do that. (the game has no way of knowing whether it's a block or an item...)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's likely that the sign is accurate -- I seem to recall that there was a power radiator node in technic at one time, but it was removed or disabled a long time ago (I don't remember why).

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

yep, on VanessaE's survival map in my castle in the crafting cellar, I keep an old node that now sits on a teleport booth displaying the texture of an unnkown node. When I point at it with F5 activated it identifies as technic:power_radiator.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Why was the radiator removed/disabled? It seems like a very useful thing, to be able to power stuff without tons of wires.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't remember now why that object was removed. Maybe overpowered?

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Whenever I go on the server, I die for no reason, and I can't break some blocks.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's a server/engine bug. I don't entirely understand the basis of the bug, nor have I seen any concrete plan to resolve it. :-/

All I can say is keep trying to get on. It'll work eventually. Takes me several tries sometimes as well.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

when i try to get on the server, one of 3 things has happened:
1: everything is normal
2: I get disconnected from the server immediately after the area around me loads.
3: I log on and I'm dead. I'm still connected to the server, but it won't let me break blocks or do anything.

For a while, #2 would happen once or twice, but I would usually be able to go on the server normally after that, but now it's only ever 2 or 3.

It takes a few minutes to get on the server, so trying more than 5 times is very time consuming.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It should only take 20-30 seconds to connect. If it's taking "a few minutes" on each connect, turn off "preload item visuals" in your config (you'll need to open and modity your config with a text editor while the game is closed, then start the game - the option is not in the main menu anymore).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

12Me21: the problem has been found - it's a weird engine bug all right. The workaround, of all the weird things, was to turn damage on, on the server. Bulldog and I just had this happen to us both today also.

Try signing on, and once you get in, "kill" yourself once if necessary, and it should reset you back to normal.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Ok, it works now.

Anyway, I've been wondering; why can't you break blocks quickly by hand, like you normally can in creative mode?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Because this server runs my custom game (Dreambuilder) and I don't care too much for that behavior.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

we back to either nothing loading and blank screen with preload_item_visuals = true
-OR-
game crashes as before with preload_item_visuals = false

Code: Select all

>> === FATAL ERROR ===
 >> Access violation (Exception 0xC0000005) at 0x0000000002B31125
 >> Saved dump to C:\Users\User\Documents\minetest\bin\..\minetest.dmp
 >> === FATAL ERROR ===
 >> === FATAL ERROR ===
:( :( :( :(

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

If it loads but just gives you a blank grey screen, just try again. This is due to an engine bug on the server end (ghost entities trying to be "deleted" in the area you spawned in, which deletes the player object at the same time but without actually disconnecting the player). It is not your client.

I know it takes a few minutes for "preload item visuals" to run but I'm kinda stuck for a better answer. :-(

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Why are technic frames disabled? I know they can be used to grief stuff, but so can pistons and movestones, not to mention lava, water, and especially corium.

Is it because of lag?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

They can get laggy, yes, but mostly because motors and frames can be used to move things like node breakers, such that they can cut wide, practically unlimited paths through the landscape without any recourse.

Last time I had them enabled on this server, someone used them to cut a 5x5 or so trench nearly 1000 nodes long through the map. I had to repair the damage mostly by hand.

Lava/water (and their cooled results) can be worldedited-out, corium damage is disabled since the server is set to disable damage otherwise, and pistons/movestones can only move a limited amount of stuff, so their ability to do serious damage is pretty limited.