[Server] VanessaE's Creative Server [5.4.0]

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

Re: VanessaE's Creative Server [git]

by 12Me21 » Post

VanessaE wrote:They can get laggy, yes, but mostly because motors and frames can be used to move things like node breakers, such that they can cut wide, practically unlimited paths through the landscape without any recourse.

Last time I had them enabled on this server, someone used them to cut a 5x5 or so trench nearly 1000 nodes long through the map. I had to repair the damage mostly by hand.

Lava/water (and their cooled results) can be worldedited-out, corium damage is disabled since the server is set to disable damage otherwise, and pistons/movestones can only move a limited amount of stuff, so their ability to do serious damage is pretty limited.
I don't think corium damage is disabled, I was messing with 3 nuclear reactors, and I made them melt down. after that, corium flooded a room underneath them multiple times after I tried to patch the holes.

Maybe you could limit the use of frames by limiting how many can be attached together, or not allowing them to move node breakers.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Odd, corium griefing is supposed to be suppressed. I'll try to make a point to look into that.

As for frames, that's a no-go. Definitely not re-enabling them on this server.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Odd, corium griefing is supposed to be suppressed. I'll try to make a point to look into that.
Is it just the corium that destroys blocks, or does the chernobylite do it too?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's the corium that does that. The chernobylite is the cooled/hardened byproduct thereof. Looks like I had a configuration mistake on the server. It's fixed now.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

This is a graph of my memory usage while playing on the server, having my game crash, and then trying to reconnect 8 times:

Anyway, I made a taller antenna! (not finished yet)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Wish I could do something about the connection issues, but that's a bug in the server's code (actually you connect just fine but you get invisibly kicked off by the bug).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: My servers have all moved to a new host (again!). This time, it's hardware problems on the host I was with; rather than argue with them to get the hardware fixed (which was already a pretty big problem when I first moved there), I'm just taking my business elsewhere.

It's still digitalaudioconcepts.com port 30000, but the new IP address is 176.9.29.178. The domain will follow along shortly, as soon as DNS propagation catches up.

The osiris.inchra.net IRC server will re-join the network soon.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I've been having a lot of problems with my game crashing while on the server, It's happened at least 3 times so far, twice for the same reason. (I'll check the debug.txt when I get home)

And of course, the problem of having to try many times before I can connect normally, still happens.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep, the many-tries-to-connect is a minetest server/engine bug; that it's crashing for you from time to time is a client bug, neither of which can I solve. :-(

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Yep, the many-tries-to-connect is a minetest server/engine bug; that it's crashing for you from time to time is a client bug, neither of which can I solve. :-(
I haven't gotten these on any other servers, Is it just because there are lots mods?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's because of a bug I call "ghost entities". It's happened on three of my servers (including one that runs bog-standard minetest_game with barely any mods), and at least a couple of other people out there have reported the same sort of issues on their servers.

Entities are being created out of thin air and being duplicated out of control; when the server thinks the count is in excess of its per-mapblock limit, it tries to delete them, thinks it succeeds, but fails silently. In the process of trying to delete them, it deletes any newly-added player references in the affected map area also, forcing those players to sign off and back on. Thankfully it's just the internal "handle" to the player object that's deleted, and not their account, but the player is not informed that they've been bumped.

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

by rubberduck » Post

here an screenshot from my "build a giant decoration industrial park" - project, you can all help with this, i have planned this as a huge "community-project".
My game (not minetest): http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6800

my mods: gold_and_gem, meseconductors

a penguin throws an apple through a window

sometimes i change my "forum location" via user control panel

codybruce
In-game: Wrekt

Re: [Server] VanessaE's Creative Server [git]

by codybruce » Post

Thank you kindly for letting me have a field day. That is the first time in years I've sat down and played a game for 8 hours straight. I completely accept the ban.
Banned.png
Banned.png (2.66 MiB) Viewed 706 times

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

It has come to our attention that this server has been griefed (see codybruce's post above). It will be restored from a recent backup shortly (less than a week old). Some newer construction may be lost, however I will be available to help rebuild if needed.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
VanessaE's Creative Server administration team

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Backups are taken on a daily basis, so this world has been restored from the Sunday morning backup.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

cheapie wrote:It has come to our attention that this server has been griefed (see codybruce's post above). It will be restored from a recent backup shortly (less than a week old). Some newer construction may be lost, however I will be available to help rebuild if needed.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
VanessaE's Creative Server administration team

oh dear, and I'm far away from any internet connection worth the name let alone near any machine worthy to connect to a "Dreambuilder" world. I havn't even repaired the "oops" from the last accident near one of my builds yet (only some details missing).
But then again I havn't built anything recently so my stuff has probably all been restored ;-P

codybruce
In-game: Wrekt

by codybruce » Post

You won't miss anything. I only did a days worth of damage. Server backups are every night at 3 AM Eastern time. I had an absolute blast. Had a great story to share with my little brother and colleagues. Little brother was amused. A colleague I have come to dislike was the, "I would be one of the builders..." type. The other colleague brought it up in hysterical laughter in the Monday meeting.

I truly had a blast. Thanks for letting have fun in a video game.

I will not spoof my MAC address to obtain a new IP from my ISP to come wreck it again. I had my fun.

Douchebag comment: Isn't destruction a form of creationism?

Fuckin' Wrekt.

Website updated.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I have moved the server's standard restart time to 1100 UTC (12:00 noon CET, 6:00 am US eastern time) to better coincide with the slowest times on the server. This change affects all of my servers.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Map is offline... along with it's host?

cheapie

by cheapie » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Map is offline... along with it's host?
We're having some problems (DDoS), so she's moving it to a different hosting provider with DDoS protection. It might take up to a day or two to get everything sorted out.

(InchraNet IRC can still be contacted at amun.inchra.net, but services are down)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Our little A-hole Cody at it again. :/

cheapie

by cheapie » Post

At any rate, the move from Hetzner to OVH is complete, and OVH has actual DDoS protection, unlike Hetzner's method of basically disconnecting the server.

I don't know if it was codybruce doing this, but I do know that several other Minetest-related servers were affected, as well as that the attackers appear to be based in Taiwan.

cimbakahn
IRC: cimbakahn
In-game: cimbakahn

by cimbakahn » Post

Can I have interact please?
cdb_efde67d3a97d

cheapie

by cheapie » Post

cimbakahn wrote:Can I have interact please?
There should be instructions on the rules signs in the spawn. Are they not working?

(also, you should be able to use the /spawn command to go there if it teleported you to 0,0,0 for some reason, which does happen sometimes)

cimbakahn
IRC: cimbakahn
In-game: cimbakahn

by cimbakahn » Post

Early this morning i joined for the first time. I typed in the magic word and nothing happened. I hope i typed in the correct magic word. I believe it read that it was case sensitive. As to the green signs: I believe the bottom of the messages on each green sign is cut off.

I just tryed logging in again just now and it appeared like i was stuck in the clouds and couldn't move. I logged out and back in 1 more time and then everything was working properly. I typed in the magic word and it dropped me down to street level. So it is working now.
cdb_efde67d3a97d