[Server] VanessaE's Creative Server [5.4.0]

MiladyMalady
In-game: MiladyMalady

Re: [Server] VanessaE's Creative Server [git]

by MiladyMalady » Post

Hello there! I just had a quick question, if you don't mind: what's the mod you use to to add berry bushes and pie baking on your server, and do you know where I could find it? Thanks in advance!

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That's the "bushes_classic" component of my Plantlife modpack. Should be usable separately from the rest of the pack, but it depends on biome_lib.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

garywhite
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Post

I know this may be a long shot, but I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to be a moderator? I am very responsible and have never griefed on a Minetest server.

garywhite

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't need anymore moderators/admins at this time.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

Here are some random screenshots of some of the stuff that's been built on this server...

The intersection of North Street and W North Ring Road. This is the largest intersection on the server.

Inside the library on Elk Road.

The Cheapie Systems HQ.

The Bulldog Incorporated HQ. Bulldog Inc. is Cheapie Systems' main competitor, along with smaller companies such as Redstone Electric.

A Bulldog Cafe. This is the largest restaurant chain on the server.

The L.A.P. Technical Building, one of the several buildings leasing floors.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

mmmh, a library accross the street from my appartement building, a dream come true. (sigh) ...

That really is an impressive town that has grown around that road junction. A bit too much high-rise, modern and over-regulated-traffic-control for my taste but a wonderfull showcase of what is possible.

If it only wasn't encroaching so much on "my realm" and it's surroundings. ;-P
Cheapie, you may not have known but there had been a river, that I had dug to connect the lakes under what seems to have evolved as town center. The river was there first! Just as part of the lake connection in front of my temple-like gatehouses was dug manually for the dramatic effect.
Well the river is pretty much gone and the lake is gradually been build over - such is development.

(double sigh)

[stern-voice]
And now for some rant!
(to the mods on VE-C)

I don't like that road that runs north south along my red castle and pretty much destroys the purpose of the carefully hidden entrance to my caverns at all.

That was protected area and I would like that respected!

The buildings were placed there und constructed regarding certain views and dramatic effects. I know not many use far view on that server and even without it, it has become barely playable for me

and yet

the views are designed and I have done many hours of landscaping to create them.

Please don't destroy that!
[/stern-voice]
Last edited by twoelk on Tue Jul 12, 2016 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

Which road would that be? I don't remember seeing a red castle, but I can see about rerouting roads if necessary.
Update: I've talked to twoelk and ended up removing the road in question.

Also, you must have done a pretty good job on that river if it was indistinguishable from natural water. At least I didn't notice a river anywhere.

As far as your "realm" goes, that being there is why development hasn't really gone any further north than the fire station. It's mostly moving east along W North Ring Road now.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings.

I found what appeared to be minor grief, although this is something that could have just as easily happened by accident. While navigating on one of the streets, I noticed a basalt node used to denote a street line appeared to have been dug up. I don't recall precisely where this was now, as I'm very new to the server and have since left the area. However, I replaced the basalt node that I thought should be there. I hope this is ok.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The spawn on this server has been moved out east of the East Street/Ring Road intersection. As such, the area surrounding the old spawn (accessible via the "Gridknot" and "Cityknot" Travelnet networks) has been renamed to "Central City".

There's ~800 meters of new roads and LOTS of empty land out that way. Please feel free to continue to expand the road system (please keep to the same style), and HAVE FUN building!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: The spawn on this server has been moved out east of the East Street/Ring Road intersection. As such, the area surrounding the old spawn (accessible via the "Gridknot" and "Cityknot" Travelnet networks) has been renamed to "Central City".
That's a very good idea. I even think you ought to move it further out. Much further :-)

It is great that the map wasn't just thrown away - that spawn was moved and buildings are safe and still there - as they have been for a very long time. That is what I wish for on a server - stability (as in: durability), protection of buildings, and a server admin who cares.

Still, the way the server(s) developed was not perfect. There is sometimes a clash in building styles. There are those which shape and even construct nature, those which make use of the existing landscape, and those which build something huge where mapgen is plain simply in the way. Neither is any better than the other - it's just a diffrent way of dealing with the environment. And the result is odd, mixed and chaotic. Also structures with vastly diffrent styles may not fit well togehter. A medieval farm inside a futuristic town *might* work as a single oddity, but if it's all thrown wildly togehter, it does look strange. Mapgen and lack of integration into it was also a problem on the new map of the survival server. Diffrent structures where just too close to each other. The smaller structures where nicely integrated.

Maybe a way out of this might be to do it a bit like we did it on Redcrabs server: Found a new town now and then. A town with some basic rules. Those rules need not be laws - instructions/hints of the city founder as to how he/she thinks the place ought to develop would be fine. One area could be devoted to pixelart, one to large monuments (doesn't mean there can't be monuments elsewhere - but this place could be flat and ready-to-build-on), another could be a nature preservate where you have to prove that your house didn't harm any butterflies :-), another one could be a huge city for skyscrapers and the like, another one historic buildings of one period of time, or cities where one material or color is dominant, elsewhere mesecon labs could spring to life, or just experiments beeing created. Most players could fit well into the "here's a road; build your nice cozy town-house alongside"-town type. But even those might enjoy a new themed town from time to time as it provides new ideas and challenges.

And there's something else I desperately wish for: Please no technology that requires frequent node updates close to spawn! No mesecon machines, no technic or pipework networks, not even digilines. Not around spawn for about 1 km or more. A travelnet that leads to a place with such machines is fine. But spawn is for meeting. It needs to be fast. A wall with a couple of signs giving instructions about the place is fine. That ought to be the central part of each settlement so that players can adjust their building style to what's fitting there. And it might be better to have just a small platform without too much exciting decoration - the new spawn is already a step in the right direction, although it's still not plain and clean enough in style for my liking. A small plaza around spawn and some not too complex, yet nice buildings around it - and behind those, nature from mapgen - could also work well. All places for building would then be accessible through the travelnets.

There's so much about these servers that I do like. The rules are sensible, the servers long-lived, griefers not beeing tolerated, buildings saved, creativity valued more highly than strict adherence to survival aspects, a very good technical base, excellent support... I still miss the survival server :-/
A list of my mods can be found here.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

This is WHY I choose to build my projects SO far out from the norm. Room to grow... far away from other neighbours to box me in.

One of things I hated on Gameboomed was the admin encouraged others building on other peoples builds... I even caught Bad Coomand directing an user to build directly on the roof of my grand hotel. I got so fed up with another group that refused to move and building over roadways after weeks of asking them to leave that I boxed up their buildings in chests in front of them after they destroyed a water fountain. (I had to get an mod for water source since bucket was disable.)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Oh that's just nuts. You can be sure I won't tolerate THAT sort of behavior of players on my servers. Hell, I hate it when people build on top of just an ordinary road, nevermind someone else's structure.

That said, when I moved the spawn, I checked the overview map of the server to make sure I wasn't about to extend into/over something important, but we did have to tear down a couple of dilapidated, abandoned structures in an effort to clear out the "junk" in the new area. To give an idea how old this area is, it still has wild cotton all over the place. :-)

Me Me and Me
In-game: MeMeandMe2 Regulus

by Me Me and Me » Post

Can you add Mesecons modpack?
Blinky Plants, Delayers, and Light Stones, could be useful for making animated billboards :)
I Love Formspecs!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This server already has mesecons.

iZacZip

by iZacZip » Post

Hello. This isn't exactly related to VE-Crtv, but I couldn't find any other place to tell this.

This is about IRC - I was banned from ShadowBot because I kept on leaving/joining. (My computer executed the command "/cycle" too many times. I seriously need to get a new keyboard.)
Could an operator unban me? I'm not sure if this was supposed to happen or...?

Thanks!
Ignore my old posts.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Should be fixed now.

Technory
GitHub: TechnoryGaming
IRC: TG TechonryGaming
In-game: TechnoryGaming

by Technory » Post

Vannesa How You Host Your Server And Your IRC Server Tell Me Plzzzzzzz
In the odessy of searching a minetest free server with mods

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

My servers are hosted on a dedicated machine in an OVH Datacenter in Ontario, Canada.

It operates in a manner similar to connecting your home computer to your internet service, but without a router or wifi or switch or whatever getting in the way, e.g. I don't have to mess with stupid stuff like NAT or port forwarding or firewalls I have no control over.

I run the software that makes them work, configured as best as I can make it, confined to one area of the computer's file system, with restricted user privileges. Each piece of software that makes the Minetest worlds, the IRC daemon, the Web server, etc. work runs separately and does not interfere with anything else (though clearly some services benefit others by their existence e.g. Minetest instances use the web server to push their assets to clients).

macsimski
IRC: macsimski
In-game: macsimski

by macsimski » Post

Hi Vanessa.

Nice server and i have been building a nice home in a mountain near west ring road. lately I have been upgrading the metro and station and tracks. hope you like it.

But now some sad news: my house is grieved by a user named crazy. how do I report this or change it back? I think i protected the zone, but is seems that i failed. my house is around 1446.6, 12.2,-621.7

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

cheapie wrote:Here are some random screenshots of some of the stuff that's been built on this server...

The intersection of North Street and W North Ring Road. This is the largest intersection on the server.

Inside the library on Elk Road.

The Cheapie Systems HQ.

The Bulldog Incorporated HQ. Bulldog Inc. is Cheapie Systems' main competitor, along with smaller companies such as Redstone Electric.

A Bulldog Cafe. This is the largest restaurant chain on the server.

The L.A.P. Technical Building, one of the several buildings leasing floors.
The server is very beautiful and have the many different buildings!But how to protect your buildings from griefing?

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

VanessaE, how to protect my buildings?What is for marker?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Don't use the markers, they are confusing (sorry, Sokomine :P ). Basically you have to mark the area you want to claim, and then you claim it. There's more detail in the Areas Mod topic, but the short version is simple:
  • Go to one corner of your property, say the southwest corner, and dig down to a few meters below the lowest point in your structure (e.g. below the basement floor).
  • /area_pos1
  • Go to the diagonally-opposite corner, say northeast, and fly or build a tower up high enough to get to a few above your building.
  • /area_pos2
  • /protect <some description here> e.g. /protect Andrey01s stuff

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Don't use the markers, they are confusing (sorry, Sokomine :P ). Basically you have to mark the area you want to claim, and then you claim it. There's more detail in the Areas Mod topic, but the short version is simple:
  • Go to one corner of your property, say the southwest corner, and dig down to a few meters below the lowest point in your structure (e.g. below the basement floor).
  • /area_pos1
  • Go to the diagonally-opposite corner, say northeast, and fly or build a tower up high enough to get to a few above your building.
  • /area_pos2
  • /protect <some description here> e.g. /protect Andrey01s stuff
Thank you for saying!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: Don't use the markers, they are confusing (sorry, Sokomine :P )
Tsss :-) But I guess it depends. For some people it might be easier to just use the commands (especially if beeing used to them). As long as the areas mod (or a descendant of it) is installed, there's a good chance to get the building protected one way or another, and all is well :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

1.Hi, Vanessa, in that server new map?Because i look at map in first post it one, and in the server - other map
2."VanessaE`s creative-building server" - is that analog of server "VanessaE`s dreambuildrer creative server"?, as i understand "creative-building server" you had created earlier, than "dreambuilder creative server", because first server the most buildingest, and second server the least buildingest.
Maybe i badly explain and write english and that`s why possible you won`t understand what i`ve written