GameBoom's server back online

ghostshell

GameBoom's server back online

by ghostshell » Post

After a short downtime, the GameBoom server is back online. It has been upgraded to the latest stable and placed in a new machine.

Also, the hostname has changed from "mt1.gameboom.net" to "boomtown.atomicle.com" please update your settings.

Registration is open right now, only temporarily.

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Yay! I'm so happy! Is it a new map?
Hi there ^.~

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Great stuff, is bad_command coming back to moderate? We really need the spawn area to be fixed up and the teleport system. If not are we able to try out for an admin team? Anyway great to see its back
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

There should be protect. I spent all my time rebuilding Spawn and a few idiotic griefers destroyed all my hard work! Gameboom is my favorite server but an admin should really ban all the griefers by using rollback! There should be another admin!
Hi there ^.~

cm

by cm » Post

what is the port for game boom server? is it 30000?
i like pie

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Trying it now. Plan to move way out. Hope the mess of the last attempt is over with no explosives as one user explained what happened in the switch to 0.4.0 dev. Hopefully we'll have more privs than just 'walk' no run.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Nope. It's the same failed reboot of 0.2.x world. What is needed is to save individual peices like the chessboard prior to change over to 0.4.0 dev with worldedit then email the files to their creators or if the original creator's wish cut and paste into the new world.

ghostshell

by ghostshell » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Nope. It's the same failed reboot of 0.2.x world. What is needed is to save individual peices like the chessboard prior to change over to 0.4.0 dev with worldedit then email the files to their creators or if the original creator's wish cut and paste into the new world.
that would take a long time, i think. why not just start fresh ?

ghostshell

by ghostshell » Post

the plan for the future is to let the server's users vote for their own admins. the admins will handle land/territory disputes and assign claimed land -- no more. the server itself will be economic-driven. i'm not sure how many admins we'll need and there's no website for setting this up yet.

Sea Mac

by Sea Mac » Post

What Happened to GameBoom?
Everything is "404"

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Yes everything of the old world is back... including the pain-in-the.... Someman7 aka Baumbaum aka Baumbaum2. He's been digging pit traps in okean aka clam3's chessboard and setting teleporter to it so he can steal player' stuff after they're killed. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the locked signs making a pernament hole in the chessboard.

It's bad enough with the DB write errors trashing sections of spawnland but the chess board over 100 blocks square the problem that is server wide is most noticeable. One odd thing was the parts where I had patch the chess board underside stuck while other parts got wiped and over written with desert sand. Doing a resurfacing of the effected area as a test. My thoughts that the DB is a mess of 0.2.1 to 0.4.x entries. Once the server hits one of the older sections being updated it errors out. What is needed is a util to go through the ENTIRE world DB and make sure every byte is up to the correct version.

I don't know if WorldEdit can do this by saving sections or whole world then rewrites in the correct DB enties or just copies the exact code again. It's getting frustrating and clam3 has given up hope of seeing his creation whole again. I still have hope but I prefer it without someman7/baumbaum remarks bitching I won't play with him. (I'm not a babysitting kid.)

The mods need to be updated which might be contributing to the problem.

As for voting for admins.... NO! Ghostshell is admin. You must be thinking of moderators. I think that RedCrab's method of people allowed to protect a personal size plot and if you want to protect a village/town you have to go through the admins/moderators. The way it is setup a town owner aka mayor can subdivided their land under their control. Much better system.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Yes everything of the old world is back... including the pain-in-the.... Someman7 aka Baumbaum aka Baumbaum2. He's been digging pit traps in okean aka clam3's chessboard and setting teleporter to it so he can steal player' stuff after they're killed. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the locked signs making a pernament hole in the chessboard.

It's bad enough with the DB write errors trashing sections of spawnland but the chess board over 100 blocks square the problem that is server wide is most noticeable. One odd thing was the parts where I had patch the chess board underside stuck while other parts got wiped and over written with desert sand. Doing a resurfacing of the effected area as a test. My thoughts that the DB is a mess of 0.2.1 to 0.4.x entries. Once the server hits one of the older sections being updated it errors out. What is needed is a util to go through the ENTIRE world DB and make sure every byte is up to the correct version.

I don't know if WorldEdit can do this by saving sections or whole world then rewrites in the correct DB enties or just copies the exact code again. It's getting frustrating and clam3 has given up hope of seeing his creation whole again. I still have hope but I prefer it without someman7/baumbaum remarks bitching I won't play with him. (I'm not a babysitting kid.)

The mods need to be updated which might be contributing to the problem.

As for voting for admins.... NO! Ghostshell is admin. You must be thinking of moderators. I think that RedCrab's method of people allowed to protect a personal size plot and if you want to protect a village/town you have to go through the admins/moderators. The way it is setup a town owner aka mayor can subdivided their land under their control. Much better system.
Finally someone who understands the difference between a moderator and a admin. and is the map tearing apart again? I love the old structures and such and really want them to stay but..... that may not be an option.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I had left or was it not bothered when gameboom switched to 0.4.dev. I was right not to bother. Some reason they added some explosive mod and the kiddies went to town or spawnland and turned it into a crater so baumbomb I mean Baumbaum said.

It was the kiddies who thought it was a crime if they couldn't build any where they like including priceless artificats like the chessboard or bully people. I had better things to do than put up with someone else's brats. I learned alot trying to fix up those peices of art compared to the crap block homes being built over, through or stolen materials from those works of art.

I returned to the chessboard to see what was left because it is iconic. I've took as many snapshots and notes as I can and rebuilt it along with some others so they're not lost.
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Thu Jan 03, 2013 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Sea Mac wrote:What Happened to GameBoom?
Everything is "404"
There is an announcement on the site. Someone hacked Gameboom's Drupal install and according to message will take time to get the site backup and running. My site's WP was hacked but since I run other CMS programs it didn't work on the other CMS so it was a warning to upgrade and lock things down.

As for current state of minetest on gameboom, alot of common mods don't work or disabled. I just spent a day going through homedecor finding much of recipes useless. Basic wool doesn't even work. I think that the site wasn't the only thing effected and 'everything' will have to be go through and disinfected and updated.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

We've been having a group of players come on and attack everything... building, players... anything. They seem to be latino. Refusing to speak English muttering 'aea' . Even one new player in NSL was attacked from behind. Names from original attackers were Dangoliho, Manber1750 and minatinhoo. Not certain if last one was amoung them but he had stuff I had just put in Spawnland ... a hydroponics grow station.

It seems they're creating more IDs but I think they're just killing players to claim their bones.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I don't know if this would do you any good, but you could try to update your minetest version to the most recent 0.4.4 github build. Ask xyz about how stable it is, though I myself have found it to be stable. Make sure you know what its features are first.

The old map is still in use on this server. Though the old map can be unstable, it is also a living museum of the past. For this reason, I recommend preserving and maintaining it as long as it is possible to do so. There are some very creative buildings to be found in the old parts of the map; buildings that made good use of the limited number of blocks back then. Your server has a very special feel to it.

If possible, could you install the craftguide and 3Dfurniture mods sometime? Blocks that use dyes are much easier to make when you can see the recipes in-game (which is what the craftguide mod does.)

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

*Sigh*
I have played on this server for so long, it has been my favorite server...
But now I just don't want to go back there. I can't stand the sight of so many griefed, torn down creations, many of which are mine. This server is now a war zone, blocks scattered everywhere, holes in great creations, unknown blocks everywhere. Maybe just start fresh and keep the old map. Make people ask for privileges again, and this time be more careful. The map is just to outdated.
Hi there ^.~

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I wouldn't say 0.4.4 is stable enough. Mapgen glitch, player relogging on ending in different locations, drop items vanishing and appearing elsewhere. I think just disabling player-vs-player damage would spoil these latino murders fun. They kill a player then try to cash in on their remains after 2 hour period... hoping the killed player won't come back.

I've sat on their remains after fending them off then place weapons in locked chests... out of their reach.

As for mods, Crafting Guide is a MUST plugin. Having the existing mods like wool working would be better. Most of HomeDecor mod doesn't work. I could make statues if the microblock in Stairs+ worked.

My current builds are two cafes, second one using stairs+ to make blocks in 2 materials (okay I cheat by having 2 half blocks appear as one block thinkness.) Stone stairs for roof with wooden wall stairs for the ceiling. Wroth Iron for fencing in patio area.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 418&type=1 Cafe de Minetest FB album

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

As for Spawnland... I hardly reconize it. Bad_Command's castle is completely gone. I can't find it. I did make suggestion of using WorldEdit to save old structures and transfer them to the new world. With Gameboom site offline, minetest world is the least of GhostShell's concerns at this moment.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

If you wish to use the stairsplus mod I recommend the mod below to make things easier.
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4377

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Sadly Gameboom has become a den of thieves and PKing. Lets add Brown_stone, King_stone, manber1. Brown_stone was most dispicable in trying to trick a new player to come to him for a material swap then attacked. I sat for two hours to make sure their ill gotten gains were for not.

Not all was bad, I used their bones to repair some the griefed structures. Roofed a home nearby with wooden shingles that used a different recipe than homedecor list. (4 wood) Learned that Jungletree can be planked and can be subdivided in stairs+. Yet there is no use for Jungle sticks.

If anything BRING Jungle trees back.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

VanessaE's moretrees mod has plenty of nice trees in it, including large jungle trees that use the default jungle tree nodes. Of course, the server would have to be updated to the latest git version of minetest 0.4.4 for the mod to work (the mod also requires VanessaE's plantlife modpack.) When using the moretrees mod, installing the snow and vines mods is recommended.

There does seem to be a lot of "crime" on this server as of late.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I don't think Gameboom will be upgraded anytime soon. Heck the stock plugins don't work.

The player moralle and morality has broken down more. Players being killed for the slightest infraction... true or not. baembaem aka Someman7 has set himself up as judge, jury and executioner. Someone has manage to hack the server to reset spawning point to where ever... usually a death trap. It took me 3 hours to rescue my bones and gear from a lava grave setup by players after logging onto the server today.

It's sad since I was making headway reopenning an area for players... laying new roads surveying for more areas for players to build. Building or I should say growing a new building and playing with new recipes and building technics. At least, my posts in a minetest group is getting better response than on the server itself. :/

Wiild_pickle

by Wiild_pickle » Post

Hi

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Sad to say some player killers, Dr_Interent and MurderDeathKill, reading the blog from facebook have already taken the information to heart. They tried taking over Grande Tree on Gameboom. When they couldn't take it, the burned it to the ground with fire. They still attack the structure... cutting down rebuild and laying trapstone to a lava pit. (Sic)

I might continue with Grande Tree on another server or simply local mode. Ghostshell seriously needs to lock off the minetest server to new users until the website is up and the server can be properly moderated.