[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.13] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_05_22.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Settings Change May Help You to Connect

Update 2016_05_30: It looks like even MT 0.4.13-dev clients as far back as February 2016 can trigger or play some part in the stall glitch. Check your minetest.conf.example file. If it has the setting described below, copy it to your minetest.conf and set it to true to see if that allows you to connect. Sometimes I can connect with my MT 0.4.14 client, sometimes not so it appears to be a combination of things. Unfortunately the logs don't show any related errors when this happens and htop reports MT is running fine even though in-game is bogged down with extreme lag. We've have lag spikes for a long time, nothing new for LinuxGaming, but these sustained, stall-out, lag levels didn't start occurring until after the release of MT 0.4.14. All I can do is guess at this point but there there seems to be a connection between the later MT 0.4.13-dev and the new MT 0.4.14 clients that are affecting LinuxGaming's MT 0.4.13-dev (Oct. 2015 GitHub release). Hopefully the devs will be able to get this sorted out soon.

~~~

Occasionally, my MT 0.4.14 client's would not connect to the server. An error message would appear about the server using protocols 13-24 while the client used 25 and above. According to minetest.conf.example, this shouldn't happen with servers, like ours, that are running MT 0.4.13 but, for some reason, that seems not always to be the case.

Look for this in your minetest.conf.example (it may say either "true" or "false"):

Code: Select all

send_pre_v25_init = true
Copy this line into your minetest.conf file and make sure the setting is "true".

This should allow your newer, MT 0.4.13-dev or MT 0.4.14 client to connect to older servers:

So if you were able to log in *before* upgrading your client to MT 0.4.14 and now see an error message like the one above, try this setting.

I've been reading in IRC and on GitHub that some servers running MT 0.4.14 are stalling-out or slowing down significantly. I don't know if the pre_v25 setting and these stall-outs are related or not but I won't be eager to update the server's engine while these problems persist.

Server Crashing Randomly at Host Level:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4159

Stall Glitch:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4151

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_05_30.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_06_06.

24/7minetester
IRC: Trifton
In-game: Trifton

by 24/7minetester » Post

The server just crashed. Please reset. Thanks.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Mod Updates:
  • Ambience updated to 2016_06_09 - code maintenance. TenPlus2 added jungle sounds, must be near enough jungle trees to hear.
  • Areas updated to 2015_10_29 - code maintenance. I've changed the lower left corner message from "Areas" to 2 lines: top line is the format of the Areas info (handy reminders when working with the Areas commands), bottom line says: "This area has been protected and claimed by:"
  • MoreBlocks updated to 2016_06_10 - copperpatina block added. The copper patina block is a teal, metal block created by crafting a bucket of water with a copper block. Copper patina blocks craft down into 9 copper ingots. Works with the saw by MoreBlocks' default.
  • xBan2 updated to 2016_05_05 - code maintenance.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_06_12.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Ambience updated to 2016_06_13 - small code maintenance since the other day's update.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2016_06_18.
  • Unified Inventory tweaked.
    • By default, the standard version of Unified Inventory will hide items if they have *no crafting recipe*. Things like leaves and tree trunks don't have crafting recipes because they are grown with the trees so as a result they would not appear in Unified Inventory's inventory pages or searches. Some leaves and tree trunks would appear but only because they have custom crafting recipes (recycling or swapping recipes). It has been like this since July 2015 and I hadn't noticed because I have the creative priv which allows the viewing of items whether they have a crafting recipe or not. ClaudiusMinimus was able to describe the problem to me in a way that I could grasp and finally put 2 and 2 together to even begin to know where to look for the source of the problem. After a few hours of researching, digging through files, experimenting, and testing I was able to figure out what bits of Unified Inventory's code to disable so items without recipes will show again like they used to before last summer.
    • Two other, less obvious and older tweaks to Unified Inventory:
      • For awhile now, the standard version of Unified Inventory has two display options - "lite" and "full". If the lite option is set (server wide), those players with the "ui_full" priv would see the full version instead. However, because this is a priv, it would have to be granted and revoked by admins every time a player switched between a small device (lite) and their PC (full). That is impractical so I disabled the "ui_full" priv and LinuxGaming will *not* use the lite version of Unified Inventory. If players wish to use their smart-phones, tablets, Kindles, etc., I strongly recommend they go to other Minetest servers that are setup specifically for small devices. Small device players will have a much better user experience on servers that are tuned for small devices than on LinuxGaming.
      • Another priv requirement of the standard version of Unified Inventory, which it has had for a while, is that players must have the "home" priv to be able to use Unified Inventory's buttons to set home and return home. But if you have played on LinuxGaming long enough you may have noticed that no one has the "home" priv yet players can still use the set-home and return-home buttons. I disabled Unified Inventory's home priv requirement because there is no "home" priv in LinuxGaming to meet that requirement. The sethome-spawn mod LinuxGaming uses pre-dates minetest_game acquiring a sethome function of its own. This older mod's sethome priv was disabled because merely adding it to minetest.conf's "initial_privs" line would grant the priv only to *new* logins. All existing players would have to be individually granted the priv. The same situation applies to adding a "home" priv to the initial_privs line - exiting players wouldn't automatically receive it. (That initial_privs limitaion is a long-standing problem of Minetest's that I and probably other server-ops/admins have had to work around.) As a result, all players can set two independent homes, without a priv, in both chat and Unified Inventory. This is an example of some seemingly little things that are taken for granted but have far reaching impact.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Ambience mod updated to 2016_06_17 - code maintenance.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

LazyJ wrote:By default, the standard version of Unified Inventory will hide items if they have *no crafting recipe*. Things like leaves and tree trunks don't have crafting recipes because they are grown with the trees so as a result they would not appear in Unified Inventory's inventory pages or searches.
So this was why I couldn't see coal lumps? Or...

Hang on - digging coal ore counts as a crafting recipe, doesn't it? Unified_inventory is weird :/
N/A

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • The *engine* has been upgraded to MT 0.4.14-dev but still running the same custom game. The game will be updated in parts as I get them tailored and tested.
  • Overview maps updated to 2016_06_26.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_07_24.

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

Greetings! I've been playing on this server for some time now, but have been slow to do much worth mentioning. The last couple of days though I have made a couple of statues that I want to show off. They are in a room deep underground, and the room is far from done for my final plan of what I hope it to be. But here they are.

Titan's Face Off

Titan Dragon

Frost Giant

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings LazyJ. Great server. This is the only minetest server I ever play on in multiplayer because it seems like the perfect server. Anyhow, I was wondering if this skin could be applied to my account? The username is greeter.

Last edited by greeter on Tue Jul 05, 2016 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

greeter

by greeter » Post

My work can't compete with racklincs, but nintendo fans may like the very first pixel art I've ever done

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

Thanks for the encouraging words greeter!

On the flip side I think Shy Guy is awesome. Brings up nostalgia for me. I remember being a young boy and playing on my NES far too much. Your art is a good representation of him and I would consider it a successful start in pixel art.

greeter

by greeter » Post

racklinc wrote:Thanks for the encouraging words greeter!

On the flip side I think Shy Guy is awesome. Brings up nostalgia for me. I remember being a young boy and playing on my NES far too much. Your art is a good representation of him and I would consider it a successful start in pixel art.
Thanks. Shy guys were one of my favorite characters from the Mario series of games, so I decided to start with one of them. I'm looking for other ideas that would be fairly easy and straight forward now. If you want to see him in person, go to Urbanvale, head down Sunset boulevard, go past the end of the street into the ocean. When you see the castle, hang a left. The shy guy will be on your right side after a short swim.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Oh I start liking this server a lot. I've been playing for some time. Doing some random staff. But out of a suddon I came up with some projects. Time passes by, my ideas are developing.
I am digging some hole and BOOM I fall some meters down. Hey?! What da?! A nicly curved cave, some lights, stairs. I thought someone was already here. After some exploration I've discrovered it was me a long time ago :). I've digged here at the very begining, but than changed my mind and I've covered the exit :).

For instance I'm doing some medival/rural area. I decided to pull down my mansion. The problem is that there are some tunnels underneath (chambers/celler etc.). On the top of it there will be temple/church it will be funny to rediscover it soon :).

BTW. LazyJ or someone cane you make my some photos of "my area"? I dont have the flight privilige so I cannot do it nicely myself. And when using maps from this forum i see only top layer of mindblowing tower.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Fantastic sculptures, racklinc! MoreBlocks' saw and the screwdriver sure do open up a lot of creative possibilities.

Ahhh... so that's "Shy Guy". I read some references to him in the logs but I thought you guys were talking about a player. :)- greeter, your skin has been uploaded and will take effect after the next restart (backup). Till then you might look like an odd-colored blob in-game.

Thorton, I'll make a note to take a few screenshots. Empty baskets work well for getting up high enough for screenshots. Just make a single column, hopping up each time as you go, then break them on the way down to remove the column. Scaffolding works too except when taking twilight or night screenshots; the scaffolding's light might interfere with night shots. http://www.imgur.com is a good, free, image hosting service for your screenshots and provides links that work with the Minetest forums so you can add them to your posts.

While reading the logs I saw a new player mention that she was seeing ads (like commercials) while playing Minetest.

First, those ads are not coming from the LinuxGaming server.

Some UN-official Minetest apps for smartphones, tablets, and Kindles have had ads embedded in their code. If you want to play Minetest on your small device without ads, use the official Minetest app. See the "Android" section of this link: http://www.minetest.net/downloads/

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

I just discovered there was a 3rd person option in this game! =D

I suppose it is time that I request a skin change so I can tell myself out from a crowd then!

If i could get my skin changed to the below that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Direct Link: Image

Link to same skin from the website I found it on below. Give credit where credit is due.

name:dwarf from lottmob
author: lovehart
license:CC BY-SA 3.0Image
view in 3d! on skin Database
Download

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Howdy racklinc ;)

Your skin has been uploaded and will take effect after the next restart (backup time, usually).

greeter

by greeter » Post

LazyJ wrote:Till then you might look like an odd-colored blob in-game.
For some reason, that's the most hilarious thing I read all day. Thanks for the laugh. Also, thank you kindly for uploading the skin for me. I can't wait till after the backup to see how it looks in game.

EDIT: My in game appearance is not blob like to my client, so I'm quite good there :-)

greeter

by greeter » Post

Introducing LinuxGaming2's first ever golf course.

The golf course is located in scenic Urbanvale. Due to the use of moon rocks and anti moon rocks, it is named after the television show The Jetsons. The Urbanvale Jetsons Golf and Country Club currently boasts seven holes. Due to the high cost of the building materials, this is expected to remain a work in progress for the foreseeable future. However, the first seven holes are playable now if you would like to get a taste of what golfing can be like in minetest. Note that for added variety, the course now has several lava hazards.

Suggestions, feedback, and assistance are all greatly appreciated

The view from the first tee

View of the first hole

View from the second tee. Not all nodes are visible in this image

A small patch of fairway on the second hole

The second hole at the edge of a snow biome

To do
  • Add 11 more holes
  • Add a clubhouse
  • Build up the fairways on the tougher holes to make them slightly easier
  • Add beds in each tee area so players can spawn on their current hole if they die
Current holes. Note that hole distances only take into account horizontal movement, not height. If I get enough requests, I'll recalculate the distances for height.

Hole 1
Par: 3
Distance to cup: 162 meters
Difficulty: Easy

Hole 2
Par: 4
Distance to cup: 382 meters
Difficulty: Medium

Hole 3
Par: 5
Distance to cup: 450 meters

Hole 4
Par: 5
Distance to cup: 486 meters
Difficulty: Hard

Hole 5
Distance to cup: 256 meters

Hole 6
Distance to cup: 327 meters

Hole 7
Distance to cup: 245 meters
Difficulty: Easy
Last edited by greeter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 03:47, edited 2 times in total.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Screenshots of of Thorton's build area, 2016_07_08: