Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2016_07_10
  • New overview map added - "Urbanvale"

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

Great works greeter and thorton! I admire the creativity that people who build on this server have.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

racklinc wrote:Great works greeter and thorton! I admire the creativity that people who build on this server have.
Thorton's build area is very lovely looking. Wish I had talent for making builds look that nice.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

@greeter and @racklinc Oh sthap it or I'll blush, which isn't very common for men ;).

But fun fact is @greeter that I've been playing for the very first time. So far I wasn't very keen on servers and minetest/minecraft etc. On the other hand loved Lego when I was a kid, and I guess somehow that love came back :).

I'm not full pleased with my area. Temple still in progress, the old town looks nicely filled but a new town seems a bit empty. The bay and ship port are waiting, my Easter Castle is waiting, my Isla de Muerta is also witing. I have so many conceptions in my head, and so little time to build. But I have time, I just hope the server will not go down.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Thorton wrote:@greeter and @racklinc Oh sthap it or I'll blush, which isn't very common for men ;).

But fun fact is @greeter that I've been playing for the very first time. So far I wasn't very keen on servers and minetest/minecraft etc. On the other hand loved Lego when I was a kid, and I guess somehow that love came back :).

I'm not full pleased with my area. Temple still in progress, the old town looks nicely filled but a new town seems a bit empty. The bay and ship port are waiting, my Easter Castle is waiting, my Isla de Muerta is also witing. I have so many conceptions in my head, and so little time to build. But I have time, I just hope the server will not go down.
I never cared for legos as as kid. I guess maybe that's why it's taking me so long to see which blocks go well together for the nicer builds. Keep up the great work though and you'll have a build area that to you looks perfect.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2016_07_16.
  • Desert cobble texture changed. (see screenshots below)
  • Unified Inventory updated to 2016_07_15 GitHub release. Code maintenance and I added back the old crafting recipe of sticks and wood.

I've tinkered with the default texture for default cobble with the hopes that the change will look appealing enough to use desert cobble in builds. This change won't affect those who use texture packs that have their own image for desert cobble.

Test Wall - Old Texture

Test Wall - New Texture

Urbanvale Fire Hall - Old Texture

Urbanvale Fire Hall - New Texture

greeter

by greeter » Post

That texture does look nicer. Will the new, or I guess old, crafting recipe be reflected in the craft guide?

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

greeter wrote:That texture does look nicer. Will the new, or I guess old, crafting recipe be reflected in the craft guide?
Howdy greeter ;)

Only the image was changed; desert cobble is still made the same way.

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

I like the texture change. The darker color for the grout blends better in my opinion.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The new desert cobble texture looks very nice.
A list of my mods can be found here.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
The VPS went down sometime overnight. I've contacted the hosting company and they are looking into the problem. For now, all we can do is wait.

Update 2:
The VPS is running again; everything seems to be intact.

Update 3:
Overview maps updated to 2016_07_30.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
The VPS went down, again, sometime over night. I've contacted the hosting company. Until they get things in order on there end, all that can be done is wait. When I get home from work I'll be able to check on things again.

Update 2:
When I got home tonight from work, the VPS and Minetest were running but the IRC needed a restart. I logged in to stack some blocks before chores. Things seem to be back to normal.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
The VPS crashed, yet again; tech support has been contacted.

Update 2:
After work I contacted the VPS company to ask what the cause of the crash was and was told that it is an issue in the host node itself and the company was still trying to determine the where and why it failed. So that means the VPS may continue to randomly crash until the hosting company can get things sorted on their end.

I've started another account with a different hosting company. When Miner and I get things setup and ready enough, we'll move LinuxGaming to its new home.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_08_14.

racklinc

by racklinc » Post

LazyJ wrote:Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_08_14.
Howdy LazyJ, how are things? I've taken a short break to look at other games and personal projects for a bit. I quite enjoyed No Man's Sky and will be on and off from it.

I can't help but notice I had to compile minetest from source. Though I managed it, and the graphical effects are tremendous it is quite a task to accomplish. I wasn't sure if this was a result of me upgrading to linux mint 18 or a requirement of the server.

I love the mostly transparent ice and water, they are quite beautiful, are there any other new features I am missing?

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

racklinc wrote: Howdy LazyJ, how are things? I've taken a short break to look at other games and personal projects for a bit. I quite enjoyed No Man's Sky and will be on and off from it.

I can't help but notice I had to compile minetest from source. Though I managed it, and the graphical effects are tremendous it is quite a task to accomplish. I wasn't sure if this was a result of me upgrading to linux mint 18 or a requirement of the server.

I love the mostly transparent ice and water, they are quite beautiful, are there any other new features I am missing?
Howdy rack ;)

I run Linux Mint 18 too. Mint's repositories have MT 0.4.13, the server is running a dev version of MT 0.4.14. Last I heard (read), iirc, MT clients have to be newer or in the same version range as the server they are trying to connect to. An MT 0.4.9 client can't connect to an MT 0.4.14 server but an MT 0.4.14 client can connect to servers running an older version. "Dev" or "stable" doesn't matter so long as the MT 0.4.xx is the same... as far as I understand it at this time. There used to be a much wider compatibility spread between client and server versions but that began to change and narrow sometime around MT 0.4.12.

When upgrading from a stable release to a compiled, bleeding-edge version of MT, even if they are in the same version range (i.e, MT 0.4.14-stable and MT 0.4.14-dev), the dev versions have a lot of tweaks and changes that accumulate over time. Some big, some small, some you would never notice, but in general a lot. I run dev versions for my MT clients and lose track of the changes. Best bet is to go through the engine and the minetest_game's repository history to see what has been added, removed, or changed since the stable release.

If you are going to compile the latest dev versions to use as your regular client, a word of caution from my own personal experience - *always* keep the last *working* compile of your MT client when you upgrade to the latest dev release. I copy my last working compile and add an "_old" to the end of the directory name (i.e., "mt0414_old" before upgrading to the latest dev release. I compile with "run_in_place" option so I can do this. Compiling for system wide use won't allow you to shuffle different versions of MT. It is not unusual for dev releases to be broken for several releases in a row over a period of several days. When that happens I have my last working client copy to fall back on.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2016_09_04.

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Hey LazyJ, or anybody else :)
Does anyone know player called "melzua"? I'd like to get in touch, because I have finally made a decent planning for my town. I'. doing a big expansion and there's a small spot, almost empty owned by melzua. I don't want to remove her/him if the person is playing, I can even offer a cooperation and a special project for the person. Otherwise can some Admin check the spot and free it?

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:Hey LazyJ, or anybody else :)
Does anyone know player called "melzua"? I'd like to get in touch, because I have finally made a decent planning for my town. I'. doing a big expansion and there's a small spot, almost empty owned by melzua. I don't want to remove her/him if the person is playing, I can even offer a cooperation and a special project for the person. Otherwise can some Admin check the spot and free it?
Howdy Thorton ;)

I checked the logs; melzua hasn't logged in for the past six months (2016_03_06) and I checked the spot - no build, just a chest and a furnace on a flattened bit of land. I've removed the protection on that spot and changed the ownership of the locked chest into your name. Your are OK'd to develop that area. ;)

A bit north of that location is a build by Maktrzy. The six month time limit hasn't been reach yet since Maktrzy last logged in in June (2016_06_17).

For anyone reading this and is curious, six months is the general amount of time required to lapse before a build or build area is considered abandoned. Its been my experience that if a player hasn't logged in for six months or longer, then they typically don't return ever again. After six months, then the build or build area is up for consideration for renovating, reworking, or renaturing.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

LazyJ wrote:For anyone reading this and is curious, six months is the general amount of time required to lapse before a build or build area is considered abandoned. Its been my experience that if a player hasn't logged in for six months or longer, then they typically don't return ever again. After six months, then the build or build area is up for consideration for renovating, reworking, or renaturing.
That's why I log in from time to time :)

(I just don't play that often anymore, but I do still a bit)
N/A

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

@LazyJ I know Maktrzy, he's my nephew and he got so excited at first, but then I guess he's back to minecraft (to be honest) :).

Finally I'm doing things as they you be done - paper, map, planning, location, location, location.

And BTW if you wish to stop having this server or sth like that please let us download the map ;). It would be the end of the world for me to lose all this buildings ;).
I must download all those plugins for offline playing ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2016_09_18.
  • VPS host switch - This weekend the MT server was tested on the new VPS host. The world loaded as usual and the auto-restart and backup functions worked normally. I recommend that you update your clients to the most recent dev version that you can as the MT engine on the new VPS host is a newer dev release (2016_09_14).

Hopefully, between jobs and other real life obligations, Miner and I will be able to switch LG entirely to the new host this week. When that time comes, the "linuxgaming2.com" address won't connect to the new IP just yet; you'll have to use the IP number instead. From what I've read, the domain name switching process may take anywhere from a few hours to a day or so. This will affect the IRC server so our IRC may not be online until the domain name is redirected to the new IP address.

When things are setup enough, I'll post the new VPS's IP and shutdown the old VPS so no new stuff is built on the old VPS. Then I'll run clearobjects and defrag/vacuum the world database, which will probably take 10 to 12hrs to complete. Once all that is done I'll re-open the server and it will be on the Public List again.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Moving to the New VPS Host

The process of moving from our old VPS host to the new one has started. That means LinuxGaming2's Minetest server will be down for about a day. The IRC and website will still work for the time being. As I mentioned in my previous post, the full clearobjects will be run, after the move, which will probably take 10-12hrs (best guess) or more to complete. Once things are settled in and running, I'll post the IP address of the new VPS and re-open LG to the public list again.

The world and all your stuff will still be there on the new VPS host. We are just migrating from one service to another.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

2016_09_25 - LinuxGaming2 has Moved to a New VPS Host

Minetest
Address: 45.33.54.11
Port: 30000

IRC
Address: 45.33.54.11
Port: 6667

The move to the new VPS has been successful. To connect, use the IP address above. This will be until the domain name transfer has completed, then you will be able to use "linuxgaming2.com" again instead of the IP number.

The world and all the builds are still there and intact on the new VPS host. We just moved from one hosting service to another.

Hat tip to Miner_48er. Miner's put a lot of work into getting the IRC operational and to harden the server, overall, to better protect it. When you see Miner online, please give him a "Thank you". ;)

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Which client should I download to be able to use it?