[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2022_02_18.

Ronan
IRC: Ronan
In-game: Ronan

by Ronan » Post

Hi, I was playing on LinuxGaming.us.
I was wondering if there is a backup of the server or the map and if you could share to us ?

It's been a long time ago I didn't see my house, etc. Huge nostalgia

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

I've finished another one of my proof of concept builds. Before I get to it though, I'll reveal how I managed to build down from the sky island with only the default privs.

First, I started from a free island that was previously built. Then, along the edge of the island, I placed some ice that I later melted down with torches. With water now spilling over the edges, I would slowly sink down and could place blocks as I went down. I could build a frame this way and add the remaining blocks at my own pace.

But enough of that build. Wouldn't it be cool if you could build your house almost entirely in lava? Well guess what. You can. I did this tonight and while I still need to apply some finishing touches the build is mostly complete. The walls use very thinly cut marble, courtesy of the circular saw. The thinnest cut nodes are opaque to visible light. By virtue of being submerged in lava, the building is self lit. No indoor lighting exists aside from what the lava provides. Take a look at the attached screenshots.

Every build needs a living room, even if you're living in the middle of a lava lake

A half bath under the stairs makes efficient use of space and offers convenience for those lounging in the living room.

A kitchen fit for a family of five, or even one more. And your food will never have to go cold in this room if you don't want it to

A restroom just off of the kitchen. A convenient place to clean up after working hard to put food on the table

What's upstairs? Double wide stairs to make for a slightly grander way to move between floors

One of four bedrooms in the home. Ready for furnishings

Guest bedroom in case someone needs to spend the night at your place 7400 nodes below sea level

Upstairs heated rest room

Possibly a children's bedroom or nursery to accommodate the growing family

The master bedroom, perfect for the head of the household

Outside view from the roof. It may be best to stay indoors here

Outside view of the completed structure. This is the only visible portion, the remainder being submerged in naturally occurring lava

Anyone who wants to visit is free to do so. Simply use /go urbanvale and head to coordinates -10433, 0, -10830. There's an elevator there that will take you to the roof of the building or the second floor. Stairs can take you down to the first floor from there.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Ronan wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 19:52
Hi, I was playing on LinuxGaming.us.
I was wondering if there is a backup of the server or the map and if you could share to us ?

It's been a long time ago I didn't see my house, etc. Huge nostalgia
Howdy Ronan ;)

A world backup is made each night as a precaution but is not shared. I'm trying to keep LinuxGaming a one-of-a-kind and the stuff created in it unique to LinuxGaming.

~ LazyJ

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

greeter wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 04:32
Wouldn't it be cool if you could build your house almost entirely in lava? Well guess what. You can. I did this tonight and while...
Whoa! Awesome (and extremely hazardous) work greeter!

I thought Miner_48er was the only one crazy, erm... patient... enough to build in lava. :o)-

If folks are wondering why the furniture and wood floors aren't engulfed in flames, on LinuxGaming lava has been tweaked to not burn anything (though lava still harms players when they touch it).

As greeter mentioned, light from any light source (torch, lava, lamp, glow glass, etc.) passes through saw-cut shapes and panels. This is just the way Minetest works. Depending on how saw-cut stuff is used, the pass-through lighting could either be a bug... or a design feature as greeter has used it to create an illuminated, light-fixture-less interior.

The effect can also be used to illuminate isolated portions of exteriors.

For example: placing a dim light source like a torch or glow glass (not super glow glass) under judiciously spaced panels at the bottom of a heart-shaped water fountain can give a gentle, indirect glow to the fountain at night.

Plant red flowers in the grassy areas around the fountain... or custom-made planter boxes... or large and small flower pots, and add some custom-made cherry blossom trees and bushes along the walking lanes. Perhaps use dim light sources (like 1/4 micro-panels of glow glass to be more discrete), very selectively hidden here-and-there inside the clusters of cherry blossom tree leaves, to make the tree tops glow for a more romantic evening mood and you've created a special place for couples to rendezvous.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings,

There's still more griefing occurring on the server. This time Disney Center was hit by a build by Rielskie. He built a fairly large, in my opinion ugly building in front of one of the displays not far from the travel net. Storm doesn't think that this was a deliberate attempt to grief.

Additionally the post office in Urbanvale was griefed. The griefing happened on February 24, 2021 and a large amount of material was taken. I was wondering if you might be able to do a rollback on this griefing, or at least see who did it? Thank you.

Edit: It looks like griefers did more damage than we originally thought, targeting the flag as well as damaging landscaping in the area. As far as we can tell we have restored all the damage. At this point however the griefing is becoming out of control. It is happening on a daily basis and builds which are normally extremely difficult to get to are being targeted.

As such, we'd like to request removal of the Urbanvale travel net please. The go point still exists so we can get there quickly, but I don't believe the griefers are using the go point. Knowledge of the go points requires reading the tips file, or having spent some legitimate time on the server, something most griefers likely don't do. If you could remove the travelnet we'd greatly appreciate it.

We were also wondering if the protections on our flag can be stitched together into one large protection please. It would be as follows:

For StormFox:
Area IDs 2469 - 2472
Area name: Flag of New Brunswick

For greeter:
Area IDs 2465 - 2468
Area name: Flag of New Brunswick

We've protected the entire flag with these 8 protections. Each of our protections overlaps the other players. We also protected a minimum 4 node space away from all surfaces of the flag to prevent anyone from building too closely to the flag.

Thank you for all your help.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Just to be tongue in cheek, moving to 5.x means you don't get nearly as many players, especially mobile players, ergo, fewer kids including griefers :P
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Addressing multiple things in this post.

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2022_02_25.

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 06:47
Just to be tongue in cheek, moving to 5.x means you don't get nearly as many players, especially mobile players, ergo, fewer kids including griefers :P
Blockhead, I get your jest and your point. Griefers will always be a problem, no matter what platform is used. I'm aware that upgrading to MT 5.x would break the ability of MT 4.x app clones to connect. Dropping in MT 5.x updates would cause more destruction to the LinuxGaming world than griefers could ever do. LinuxGaming is one of the oldest surviving worlds in Minetest. Its mods, game, and engine have all been customized over the years. I want to preserve the world, its old builds and the old nodes that they were created with. Merely assigning aliases is not enough to maintain the preservation.

greeter wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 03:32
Greetings,

There's still more griefing occurring on the server [...]

As such, we'd like to request removal of the Urbanvale travel net [...]

We were also wondering if the protections on our flag [...]

greeter, I've consolidated the multiple Area protections into one, large protection on the flag.

I've been monitoring Rielskie and his friends for a while. He hasn't done any of the typical griefing things. I'm not happy about his build blocking the view of the Aladdin mural either. I had a talk with him tonight about how you and StormFox got your fly privs and about his build at Disney Center. I suggested he split his build so the lower half is below the level of the road, the upper half is above the height of the mural, and then connect the two halves with elevators.

I ran a search through the logs with coords of some of the Urbanvale Post Office nodes and found the griefer. They have been banned and their ip range blocked. They had been busy elsewhere so I used rollback to undo their other griefings. I was in the post office when I ran the command and no old blocks were returned where you had restored things. Check in other places that were hit; rollback may have put some blocks back where they were before but not where you want them now.

I also removed the Travelnet box to Urbanvale and updated the change to the other Travelnet boxes.

riff chatted with me about your idea to redo the Permafy mod to automatically protect nodes as they are placed without protecting anything else around them. We tried something similar with an even more ancient mod called "Permablocks". Admins gave players coins that they could craft into Permablock versions of some of the basic, default blocks. This was back in the MT 0.4.2 days when LinuxGaming was called Wazuland and Minetest didn't have many blocks to play with.

One of the problems with automatically protected individual nodes, like Permablocks, is that griefers could encase other players builds in cobble or dirt boxes, preventing the players from getting in or out of their builds. A second problem is griefers could also use the instantly protected blocks to divert lava (or water) and create a real headache of a mess and no one but admins or the griefer would be able to remove those protected blocks. A third problem is that individually protected nodes would prevent collaborative builds.

If no priv is required to place protected blocks (like the small Areas works without a priv) griefers would have a cheap, plentiful, and powerful way to grief. If a priv *is* required, then new logins would have to go without protecting their builds or take the time to learn how to use the Markers mod for Areas or learn the Areas commands.

Another popular protection mod is Protection Blocks. Tenplus1 uses them on his Xanadu server. Protection Blocks are more intuitive to use than Areas but I don't like them for two reasons. 1. the Protection Blocks or Badges aren't always easily hidden from view, and 2. they are harder to use with sky builds for players who don't have the fly priv.

Areas protection should be set before any building is done so griefers don't have any opportunity. Players can add to or adjust the Areas protection as the build gets bigger.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2022_03_04.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings,

Thank you for removing the travelnet LazyJ. Urbanvale is looking better than ever. I think that going forward StormFox and I are going to have to be more proactive with our protections in terms of setting them up sooner. I've already done this with a maze build that I'm working on off of the highway. I know I'll be slow going getting it done so I protected a fairly large area that I plan to expand into.

I also hope to eventually build an underwater city or community. I'll be very proactive with protecting builds in progress, as well as the connections between buildings/areas, but try to leave as much other space open for other players to build with. Thinking maybe a first build, driveway connecting the front door to the road, and a road with branches coming off of it for other driveways. Doors could even separate the driveway portion from either the highway or where players can start building. The doors can be protected to prevent removal, but openable by players. Added bonus being that even open, doors can prevent flooding. Players could build at the ends of the driveways. Thoughts?

Thank you for stitching together the flag. It's hugely appreciated. Hopefully StormFox and I will get it completed within the next couple of years and it'll look great. I have to admit though, I DID NOT expect the project to be so huge or complicated at the start. Are there any builds bigger than this on LG2? If not, I'm not looking to take that prize away from them lol. Any builds bigger than this one deserve that honor.

As for the ideas about redoing the permafy mod, that was more riff and I together, just spitballing basically, going over different ideas on how to implement some improvements. The areas mod currently in use definitely seems sufficient if used properly. That means not leaving builds the opportunity to be griefed. I'd go so far as to recommend protecting an area you plan to build in, within reason. Don't gobble up space someone else might want if you don't think you'll build there. But maybe the first step in a project should be protecting the space where you'll be stacking the first nodes. Something for /info tips maybe?

Anyway, I can't say this enough. Huge thank you for everything that you do on the server. I consider this my minetest home and I'm sure StormFox feels the same way. We'll be here for a long time yet and look forward to making better and better builds.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

UIpdate: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_03_11.

Howdy greeter ;)

- Large builds on LG
- Underwater community

As for the largest, single project, builds on LG, the two that come immediately to mind are Sky City and a square collage made by racklinc that is due south by south-west of Sky City. Look on the 8K map (link is towards the top of the overview map section). Not sure exactly how big each are but they are each easily "of size".

Underwater community -- gtest's suggestions for aqueducts and channels for boat travel were some good ones I wouldn't have thought of. Be sure to set protection on the area; could set the doors along inside of the Areas protection border. I gave a test run through the underwater, clean-glass panel hallways and ran through gaps wherever there is an internal corner. Panels, no matter how thin, still occupy a full 1x1x1 space, causing design dilemmas in corners. When the dilemma is a gap formed by the thinnest panels on adjacent spots, even though water can't pass through, the player can. In such corners, maybe create a structural support column out of whole blocks? That occupation of a full 1x1x1 space by panels is why the surrounding water doesn't fill-in and instead leaves a halo of air around the passages. When on a true survival server and trying to mine or dig under water, carry a few thin panels; stack 2 vertically and step into the air pocket to catch your breath. (A door would work too, cheaper, faster to place, but discussing bugs/features of panels at the moment.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_03_18. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_03_26. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_04_02. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_04_08. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_04_15. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_04_22. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_04_30. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_05_06. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_05_13. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_05_21. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_05_27. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_06_10. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

For those who are new or curious, LinuxGaming2's Minetest server is meant to be the opposite of hectic life, impossible deadlines, and the demands of the rat race.

The only hazards on LinuxGaming2 are falling and touching lava. Player-vs-Player, monsters, hunger, drowning, and other such hazards have either been disabled or not installed. No need to stress about attacks, nightfall, or building underwater. Search the inventory manager for "marker", craft two marker poles, set them in opposite corners, punch the last pole placed and fill out the menu to protect your build area from griefers.

Name tags have been set to be invisible at a distance so players who want to play without being bothered by others can do so. There is a private messaging system (the command is: /msg message-recipient message ) so players can chat with other players that they choose to without conversing with those they wish to ignore.

If you get stuck, type this command to return to the spawn building: /spawn

Once you found an open spot to build your home base, open the inventory manager, click on the house with the red arrow to set your home position. Click on the house with the green arrow to return to that position.

Deep in a mine, found a rich vein of ores, inventory is full, want to return?
  • Type this command to set the return point: /sethome
  • Type thsi command to go back to that point: /home
  • or use the command for your second home or another build project.
Slow down. Take a breather. Grab a drink and snacks. Put on your favorite tunes. Login. Explore. Mine. Harvest. Gather. Build.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_06_25. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_07_01. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)