[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2019_09_06.

necklace
GitHub: necklaces
IRC: necklace
In-game: necklace

by necklace » Post

Hey, doesn't look like the screwdriver is working. Could you see if it's fixable, or if there's an alternative?

Edit: neither does recycling previously sawed blocks in the moreblocks:saw. Would be nice if that was also fixable.

gtest

by gtest » Post

Hi necklace,
for the screwdriver to work you need the "twist" priv - take a look at the info about privs on page 1 of this thread.
To recycle saw-cut blocks you need at least one whole block of the same material in the "input material" slot.
hope that helps.

necklace
GitHub: necklaces
IRC: necklace
In-game: necklace

by necklace » Post

gtest wrote:Hi necklace,
for the screwdriver to work you need the "twist" priv - take a look at the info about privs on page 1 of this thread.
To recycle saw-cut blocks you need at least one whole block of the same material in the "input material" slot.
hope that helps.
Thanks, gtest! I have been playing on this server for a rather long time (I guess LazyJ could check my join date?) and have not been granted any privs, but alas. Why is twist locked for new players, though? Is it laggy or something?

gtest

by gtest » Post

no, it's not that its laggy. It's more to do with removing griefing opportunities from new or passing-through players who do not have the best of intentions.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

necklace wrote:
gtest wrote:Hi necklace,
hope that helps.
Thanks, gtest! I have been playing on this server for a rather long time (I guess LazyJ could check my join date?) and have not been granted any privs, but alas. Why is twist locked for new players, though? Is it laggy or something?
gtest wrote:no, it's not that its laggy. It's more to do with removing griefing opportunities from new or passing-through players who do not have the best of intentions.
Howdy necklace ;)

Yup, gtest is correct. The screwdriver and buckets each require a priv to use and this was done to help prevent griefing that could be caused by them.

Typically there is a few weeks wait-and-see period to observe players before they are granted the privs. Unfortunately work and real life responsibilities have been keeping me away from playing like I used to when I was unemployed. So, folks, if you have been active on the server for a few weeks but haven't been able to catch Miner_48er or myself, post a bucket and screwdriver priv request here in this thread. Have patience, Miner an I are both grown-ups with grown-up responsibilities that we have to take care of in real life so it may take a couple days for us to reply.

Ok, 'nuff with the boring working-for-a-living stuff, on to the good stuff.

I did check your login dates and the tower you have been constructing behind Xiong's market place. You've put in a lot of work to redo your tower from cement to dark clay. If it helps to see blocks in full size for color and texture, go to spawn, then use the yellow Travelnet booth in the corner to go to "Expo". gtest and noob101 have created an fantastic area that displays most of the blocks available on the server and have made some really nice builds to do so. (gtest's builds have a very distinct, modern wizard look and he also has some more traditional looking builds too.) If you need inspiration for building techniques, Expo is a really good resource for study.

I've granted you the spill (to use buckets) and twist (to use the screwdriver) privs.

Hat tip to gtest for the good info and taking care of things. Thanks ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2019_09_13.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads Up: The VPS hosting company sent me an email saying they are going to do some work on stuff on their end that will shut down customers' VPS at various times as the work progresses. They estimate the downtime should only be a few minutes but the maintenance work could also take a couple hours. According to their email, LG's VPS is scheduled to go offline for maintenance on Friday, October 18th at 9am UTC. I'll shut down LG's stuff a few minutes before that so stuff can save and close properly. I'll bring LG back online when the VPS host lets me know they are done at their end.

Update: (Now back to regular LG business...) Overview maps have been updated to 2019_10_04.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2019_10_12 and just as a reminder, this coming Friday, Oct. 18, the VPS company is doing maintenance work on their end that will shut things down for a bit.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Reminder: The VPS hosting company is going to be doing maintenance on things at their end, Friday, October 18th at 9am UTC. Depending what time zone you are in, that will either be tonight or tomorrow (for me it's 2am).

Originally I planned on shutting down LG a few minutes before but I've changed my mind.

Instead, I'm going to shut down the Minetest server about an hour before the VPS company does their thing. That will give me time to do a manual backup, install some operating system updates, reboot the server to get those updates settled in and to make sure everything is working, and then shut every thing down before the VPS company starts their work. So you might see LG going offline/online/offline again during that hour before the maintenance time.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads-up: I've shut down the Minetest server and am working on the backup and OS updates. The VPS host said their work (which will start in about an hour from now) may take a couple minutes (expected best case) or it may take a couple hours (worst case).

Update: Well it took longer than expected but worked out. LG is back up and running again.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2019_11_02.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2019_11_09.

StormFox
IRC: StormFox
In-game: StormFox

by StormFox » Post

Hey everyone, it's been awhile! Hope you all have been well. :D So, greeter and I recently completed a new build we're calling the Secret Temple! What's so great about that, you ask? Well, it just so happens that we've created a series of mazes within in that if are all solved, you win a chest full of great prizes! (See below.) What's the catch? Well, it is almost completely hidden, entrance and all! So you have to find it first. HINT: Teleport to the Disney Center (/go disney center) and head North. Good luck!!! :D

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2019_12_20.

I hope everyone is able to make it through the festivities of the season with their in-laws, outlaws, and other folks they know. When all is packed away till the next time, may everyone have a couple, good, silent nights to regain their sanity. Happy Holi-Dazed! :0)-

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_01_04.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_01_10.

... and a belated "Happy New Year" to all. ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_01_18.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_01_24.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_02_08 (and I'm finally into the yearly habit of writing/typing "2020" instead of "2019" -- the grown-ups will understand what I mean).

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_02_21.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_03_14.

Good luck to all as we go through this pandemic. Even if it turns out to be just another flu, getting sick with the flu still sucks.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_04_04.

Yesterday the MT server crashed twice. I haven't been able to figure out what the trigger was or how to reproduce the crash in general. The server was able to restart itself after each time so whatever the cause turns out to be, it wasn't traumatic.

Looking back through the reports, the last crash was back in October 2019. In the past four years there have been a total of 8 crashes. LG isn't the shiniest server but it sure is stubborn. :D

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The server's overview maps have been updated to 2020_04_18.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Hi All! I just stepped in to saty hello, check out how things are and got stucked :). After logging in I got locked in a small area. And nothing more loads. I waited and waited and still nothing.
Is it my network or what?