[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 07:02
Hi All! I just stepped in to saty hello, check out how things are and got stucked :). After logging in I got locked in a small area. And nothing more loads. I waited and waited and still nothing.
Is it my network or what?
Howdy Thorton ;)

wb ;) I checked the logs and they didn't tell me much but it looks like since then you've been able to get back to the surface and dig batches of pine needles for pine saplings.

~~~

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_05_02.

The forum thread roll-downs that the map images are in have lost their titles during the recent work on the forums. Poke around and you'll find the maps (same spot, just the title now says "spoiler"). The work being done on the has been going on for a few weeks now so I think I'll wait a bit for the dust to settle before re-editing the titles of roll-down sections in the first post.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Yes yes now it works, I had to use a version lower to be able to move. It's nice to be back. I have some ideas in head as you have probably seen :).

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2020_05_08.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings,

I really hate to be the one to bring this up however there seems to be an awful lot of griefing on the server lately. Urbanvale has been severely damaged by griefers, but there has also been griefing done on the surrounding area, as well as at the opposite end of the highway near Wild West. Even some of the asphalt nodes are dug up, which are normally left alone as they have a hardness identical to obsidian.

Out by the airport there was a lot of grief done where someone poured large quantities of lava on everything. It wasn't so huge that StormFox or I couldn't clean it up though. We did our best to restore the area to what it looked like before. Because neither of us was familiar with the area, I happened to find it while exploring randomly, it may not be exactly the same.

There may be other areas that are damaged too. It even appears that in some cases protected areas have been vandalized. Hopefully someone can take a look soon and see what's going on. I would have posted this in IRC but we don't seem to get on when one of the admins or moderators is available.

Again sorry to bring this up. Hopefully someone can fix it all soon so we can get back to mining and placing nodes in peace. :-)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

greeter wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 18:05
Greetings,

I really hate to be the one to bring this up however there seems to be an awful lot of griefing on the server lately. Urbanvale has been severely damaged by griefers, but there has also been griefing done on the surrounding area, as well as at the opposite end of the highway near Wild West. Even some of the asphalt nodes are dug up, which are normally left alone as they have a hardness identical to obsidian.

Out by the airport there was a lot of grief done where someone poured large quantities of lava on everything. It wasn't so huge that StormFox or I couldn't clean it up though. We did our best to restore the area to what it looked like before. Because neither of us was familiar with the area, I happened to find it while exploring randomly, it may not be exactly the same.

There may be other areas that are damaged too. It even appears that in some cases protected areas have been vandalized. Hopefully someone can take a look soon and see what's going on. I would have posted this in IRC but we don't seem to get on when one of the admins or moderators is available.

Again sorry to bring this up. Hopefully someone can fix it all soon so we can get back to mining and placing nodes in peace. :-)

Howdy greeter.

Thanks for the update and clean-ups.

I've let things slide too long.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings again,

Thanks for your help LazyJ. StormFox and I (mostly StormFox) have been working on repairing the vandalism in Urbanvale and it's looking great. However we can't protect the visitor information center because of the travelnet. Is there any way you could protect the building and then turn the protection over to us, or enable us to protect the building with the travelnet in it?

Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

there are too ways:
* area: create area and add_owner or change_owner
* protection_block and add there you as owner also
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Worldblender
GitHub: RQWorldblender
In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Post

greeter wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 18:05
Greetings,

Could this a good time to upgrade this server to a more recent Minetest version, either 0.4.17 or 5.3.0? I know it may take some work to complete, but it's been several years, and I wonder what I will do if I only have access to Minetest 5.x.x binaries as provided by the most recent versions of the common Linux distros.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

upgrading isn't helping, I have 5.2.0 server ... and I am just so successful getting hackers, buggers ... as see near 14 hours a day the terminal ... and using spectator (/watch gamer) at most at new joins
Maybe check out the mod fairplay ... even I dont use it yet, but might be a solution.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_08_14.

Festus1965 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 05:37
upgrading isn't helping, I have 5.2.0 server ... and I am just so successful getting hackers, buggers ... as see near 14 hours a day the terminal ... and using spectator (/watch gamer) at most at new joins
Maybe check out the mod fairplay ... even I dont use it yet, but might be a solution.
Howdy Festus ;)

Agreed, newer isn't always better. Upgrading the server to 5.x would open the floodgates to more troublemakers. At least with the antiquated server, the protocol difference makes connecting with a newer client too out-of-whack for troublemakers to be very efficient at their mischief.

I can sympathise with the many hours invested in babysitting a server. I spend several hours each week entering IP addresses and ranges from daily Fail2Ban reports of root attacks and occasionally DDoS attacks into the server's iptables. China and Russia are some of the most prolific automated attackers. The attacks come from all over the world at all times of the day and night.

Over the years many kids (and some pseudo-adults) have clamoured for updates. My answer to them is to dedicate their own time, money, and energy tending to their own servers. They come up with excuses why they can't; it's so much easier to criticize and complain than to do for themselves.

I'd better stop before I get into a long tirade.

Whitelisting the server may ultimately be the way to go.

Take care ;)

~ LazyJ

greeter

by greeter » Post

So, I saw this today...

Thought it was a really impressive work by racklinc. Also looks really cool. Has anybody else seen this on the server yet? It's at -185, -917. Take a look if you haven't already.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2020_08_28.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Built a pentagon, that's all I wanted to say.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Now that is different!

Literally thinking outside of the (typical) box (build).

Reminds me of A-frame houses that were trendy back in the 80's. Another out-of-the-ordinary and extreme house style.

Some examples:

https://wowowhome.com/architecture/blac ... n-by-dmva/

https://www.pinuphouses.com/a-frame-home-plans-emma/

Good work, greeter! ;)

greeter

by greeter » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 02:35
Now that is different!

Literally thinking outside of the (typical) box (build).

Reminds me of A-frame houses that were trendy back in the 80's. Another out-of-the-ordinary and extreme house style.

Some examples:

https://wowowhome.com/architecture/blac ... n-by-dmva/

https://www.pinuphouses.com/a-frame-home-plans-emma/

Good work, greeter! ;)
Funny that you mention A-frame houses...

Built this little gem back in 2018. Not too bad I don't think.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Ain't too shabby there, greeter ;)

When I was a kid, we'd visit an old boy who lived up in the foot hills of Colorado in an A-frame that he built himself. It was just him and his Chihuahua "Julie" so the place was small, secluded in amongst the trees. A quiet place. He's since long passed and I never got around to asking him how he changed the light bulbs in the peak.

His A-frame was the first non-conventional house I'd ever seen. These days, walking around the neighborhood, all the houses look the same -- no character, no charm.

There's a renovation up in Norword that I've been puttering with. It has a sort-of rounded roof; like a barn roof. I've found that changing the roof shape to something different can help a lot with some renovations. Still got a bit of landscaping to finish up and then I might post some screenshots. Up to my eyeballs with other stuff so it'll be a while.

greeter

by greeter » Post

A-frames are somewhat popular here. You see them when driving in similarly quiet areas. One went up not far from where my parents used to live just a couple of years ago.

A lot of buildings in my neighborhood all look similar too. They went up during the depression in a lot of cases so they were probably built by the same people. Their charm comes from their age, but there isn't a huge amount about them that's unique.

xilef
IRC: xilef
In-game: xilef

by xilef » Post

After a long time I played Minetest again. I converted my house into a royal seat. The garden is not finished yet. But I thought it looked good. So I'll post it to her.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

wb xelif ;)

Amazing work on your house upgrade!

24/7minetester
IRC: Trifton
In-game: Trifton

by 24/7minetester » Post

Hey LazyJ, is the server still running upon Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS? It reaches EOL on 4/30/2021.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads up: The VPS company is upgrading hardware on their end and will have take customers offline to do the work. I have next Friday off (2021_03_19) so I'll try to get LG's turn scheduled for sometime then.

24/7minetester, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads up: In preparation for the maintenance work by the VPS company, I'm going to shut LG down, make a backup before the VPS company takes things offline to do their maintenance.

I don't know how long all this will take. The backup will take at least a half hour. From there it will be how ever long the VPS company needs to do their stuff.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The migration from old VPS hardware to new VPS hardware is complete. MT is running smooth. For the techies, the OS has been upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. The MT server is still 0.4.14 and still chugging smoothly along. (I don't know when I'll be able to finish the code work for that upgrade. Preserving the LG world is key.)

24/7minetester

by 24/7minetester » Post

LazyJ, the IRC server has been under spam flood attacks as of early this morning. Once per hour, a user joins, immediately spams explicit language and advertises their own server, and then quits. IRC logs are available upon request.

24/7minetester

by 24/7minetester » Post

Additionally, it seems that the activity is nesting in the channel #party, which has a chatbot 'PL' in it.