[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

24/7minetester wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 21:41
LazyJ, the IRC server has been under spam flood attacks as of early this morning. Once per hour, a user joins, immediately spams explicit language and advertises their own server, and then quits. IRC logs are available upon request.

Additionally, it seems that the activity is nesting in the channel #party, which has a chatbot 'PL' in it.
Ok, thanks for the info. It's sad that is the way some people get their kicks.

I'll look into it tomorrow. For now I've got to get some sleep.

And then a bit later...

I started a full run of clearobjects to clear out the cruft left spinning on the ground and other left-overs from players leaving an area before the itempickup mod finishes cleaning up. I don't know how long that will take, probably a few hours.

During that time it will be pretty hard to log into MT or do much if you do manage to log in. Clearobjects is pushing the CPUs pretty hard.

It sucks, but clearobjects needs to be done a couple times a year.

24/7minetester
IRC: Trifton
In-game: Trifton

by 24/7minetester » Post

IRC under spam attacks again by users 'lalbornoz' and 'lalbornoz_'. Advertising the Libera IRC network, and earlier this morning, 'lalbornoz' joined and sent an EXTREMELY explicit message. (IRC logs for it are unavailable as I just purged them from disk due to the content of the message that was sent.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thanks for the update 24/7minetester.

It's frustrating but there isn't much that can be done about these hit-and-run spammers. Small channels are probably ripe targets.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 04:39
but there isn't much that can be done about these hit-and-run spammers.
The less we offer that can be attacked, the less can be attacked ...
And when the service is offered, had another normal usage 'channel'
... that newbies can see, task ... the less damage is seen.

Most (90%) of my gamer are not using "main" , even the kids are blocked to see it ...
so whatever spammers shout out there ... there is low, no reaction, and that also frustrate this stupid guys.

AT the end a silent block of this used IP Block at the router or the server is solving the rest.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thanks Festus1965 for the advice.

I don't quite yet grasp what you wrote. From what I can gather, you are recommending the IRC channel that is piped into the game to be set to "invisible" and have another, visible, channel that no one really uses but is there as bait for spammers? And then, when a spammer does spam the empty channel, enter their IP into the firewall. Correct?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 04:27
And then, when a spammer does spam the empty channel, enter their IP into the firewall. Correct?
nearly,
* but where-ever a bad guy is spamming or destroying ... ==> IP

* but not that ONE IP - as most gamer IP changes every 24 hours, but there used IP Ranges don't chance they use for this IP connections,
Better to check out then at internet what range is belonging to the IP you have,
and if find use the bigger IP Block, but this blocking the hole range from that IP, mean x.x.x1-254 is the save and fast option.
Check the ban database if that gamer ip combination also have used another IP Range.

And so more sure,
If another, normally well known nice ? gamer can't get in after this ... you might have found a spitted mind gamer, hehe
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Festus1965,

Ah-ha, got it.

Sadly, I'm more familiar with adding IP ranges to the server's firewall than I ever wanted to be.

Thanks again for the advice. ;)

24/7minetester
IRC: Trifton
In-game: Trifton

by 24/7minetester » Post

More explicit spam from lalbornoz. Please gline lalbornoz@net-31b.dse.j3vek8.IP

***EDIT: Spam is happening every few minutes.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

24/7minetester,

lalbornoz has been banned at the server level. I know where to look for them now.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads-up: After last night's backup, the MT server would crash whenever players tried to log on. I was able to find the problem and fixed it so LG is up and running steady again.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Heads up: After last night's backup the same bug as last time came back. Same patch procedure as last time; the MT server is working again. I'm not sure of the exact trigger yet, it may take more crashes for a pattern to appear. For now the MT server is up and chugging along. I may try rebooting the whole VPS later on; will post before I do.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: I spent the better part of yesterday working through the problem that has been crashing LG lately. I think I've got it resolved but I'm not 100% sure. Time will tell.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2021_11_26.

I've switched to the official Mintest Mapper because the old one I'd been using for years won't compile anymore. Unfortunately the official version doesn't have some of the abilities the old mapper had... like adding text to the image. That was a feature the Teleports Map depended on; so I'm not able to produce that map anymore.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2021_12_03.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2021_12_10.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2021_12_17.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_01_07.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings,

Back again after a long hiatus. Too long I guess. I noticed that Urbanvale once again got hit by griefers. There's still some work to be done, but I believe StormFox and I have fixed most of it as it wasn't quite as bad as in times past. Can you make any recommendations about how we might prevent the griefing? Could it be worthwhile to remove the travel net in Urbanvale, or experiment with no longer listing it as a free build area? I suspect I'm going to have to put in protection for the sidewalks, as these always seem to get griefed when the griefers hit.

I'm not going to remember everything that needs fixing unless I write it down, so this is my own personal to do list for Urbanvale.
  • Clean up the abandoned build left by a5 on Nameless Road
  • Fix and replace the light posts along Main Street
  • Protect the sidewalks and light posts
  • Protect the railway tracks
  • Protect the future home of the post office and grant protections to StormFox
  • Cut down and replant the willow tree beside the fire hall. Trim the new tree as appropriate
  • Remove the stacked fir planks on the public farm
  • Cut down and replant the apple tree on the public farm
  • Cut down and replant the floating pine tree across from the public farm
  • Cut down and replant the giant sequoia across from the public farm
  • Clean up the stack of cobblestones near the golf course beside the floating giant sequoia
Once this is all done though, I'll be moving onto the more fun aspects of minetest. Been reading through the forums today and dug up some ideas, some of them several years old, that LazyJ and others have proposed for various projects that I haven't had the chance to implement yet. That list will come in a separate posting.

Edit: Crossing off completed items
Last edited by greeter on Wed Feb 23, 2022 04:37, edited 1 time in total.

greeter

by greeter » Post

With the fixing of Urbanvale largely underway, it's time to collect some build ideas in one place that I hope to get to. If anyone else wants to use or build off of these ideas however, please feel free to do so. I won't mind :-)

Fairhaven - The floating town at the top of the world
  • Add more floating islands
  • Connect floating islands via waterfalls so that they can act as elevators. Can be a great park area
  • Connect floating islands via tubes made of glass or other transparent nodes so people can look around in mid-air
  • Build downwards underneath the floating islands. Great for everything from small homes to large office towers
  • Sky suitable builds. Hot air balloons and UFOs come to mind
  • Tiny floating islands of only a few nodes for people to see, maybe to try to parkour to
  • Perhaps adding a small moon or planet in the area, with plants appearing to grow from different sides and different biomes around the sides, including polar ice caps
Gugong - The city fully enclosed in concrete
  • Add more builds generally, from homes to places of business that a self sustaining city population would depend on
  • Work on adding a second level
Deemoore - The city between Urbanvale and Wild West
  • Finish the convention center in Deemoore
  • Finish the Canadian embassy
  • Finish the resort in Deemoore
  • Work on/finish the nearby luxury apartments
Proofs of concept - Projects I want to take on to push my own limits, as well as that of minetest
  • Add other shaped buildings to the pentagon, mostly to improve my own building skills
  • A self lit building where the lighting is provided entirely by lava.
  • A building largely or completely submerged in naturally occurring lava. Perhaps an admin could help find a suitable place.
Other more general ideas
  • Establish an area on the server for builds modeled after actual buildings. Could be in the form of a historical museum area
  • Build a treetop village. Stacking large trees on top of each other in a rural area is how I'm thinking to start this build
  • Finish the tower in Urbanvale that's based off of my first ever large minetest build
  • A dark room, possibly for use as a planetarium
  • A medieval build area, possibly inspired by the Lord of The Rings books that I'm currently reading
  • A jungle area build, where few to no trees are removed to build a village
I can't take credit for most of these ideas. They came to me from great builders like LazyJ and StormFox, as well as a few others. Just wanted to give out a huge thank you for the ideas over the years. Finally found a place to write them all down in one spot so I can refer to them going forward.
Last edited by greeter on Wed Feb 23, 2022 04:19, edited 5 times in total.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_01_14.

greeter wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 05:24
Back again after a long hiatus. Too long I guess. I noticed that Urbanvale once again got hit by griefers. There's still some work to be done, but I believe StormFox and I have fixed most of it as it wasn't quite as bad as in times past. Can you make any recommendations about how we might prevent the griefing? Could it be worthwhile to remove the travel net in Urbanvale, or experiment with no longer listing it as a free build area? I suspect I'm going to have to put in protection for the sidewalks, as these always seem to get griefed when the griefers hit.

Howdy greeter ;)

Area protection could be set over the entirety of Urbanvale but that would prevent others from building there unless you add them to the main area's list of owners or carve out a sub-area for them. The carve-outs can only be assigned to player names, there is no option (that I know of as yet) to carve out totally unprotected, open-for-anyone area within a larger protected area.

The Travelnet booths are a double-edged sword; they quickly bring anyone to your area -- the good players and the griefers. Urbanvale can be taken off the Travelnet; let me or Miner know.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_01_21.

greeter

by greeter » Post

Greetings,

I was working on Fairhaven. It was a project I started several years ago that was going to be a city in the sky. LazyJ posted a lot of great ideas for the area, and I reread them recently and got a few more of my own to throw into the mix. However he mentioned one thing in his post that inspired me lately.
LazyJ wrote: Skyscrapers and other structures built from the *bottom* of skylands. This would only be possible for players with the fly priv (or if a flyer setup a scaffolding framework for the non-flyer builder to start from). Make the bottoms of the skylands the constructed areas and the tops of the skylands all nature looking.
I began to think about this and decided to test out the statement that only players with the fly priv could do this without scaffolding being setup for them. And enter, this build. Not only was this built without fly, but was also built without spill or twist privs either. Built down from an island in the sky.

I decided to build a simple two bedroom house, from the top down, hanging from a newly constructed sky island. Note that while I did use fly to build the island, I simply built this as a base from which to start the home build and to make the building less obtrusive from the surface. The home build itself did not use twist, spill, or fly. Strictly speaking, any new player to the server should be able to do this so long as there is a free island from which to start.

Every home needs a kitchen, and this one is no exception. Through the double doors one can also see the dining room.

Modern meets rustic in this spacious restroom. It gives the feel of a historical build that's been renovated. Maybe in a way this build will become historical. Has anyone else on the server ever built from the bottom of an island using just the base privs all players get?

A bedroom that's perfect for a daughter. You may wish to change the color scheme for a son of course, or to have more neutral colors generally. On the other hand, look at that fantastic view of the sky. It's all around you at 30,000 nodes above sea level.

A well lit office provides just the space you need to work from home or to have a nice gaming center when you're off working hours.

The master bedroom, complete with painting for ambience.

No home is complete without a recreation room. People can lounge in one of several chairs or have a friendly game of darts.

All fine and dandy. But now I have a question to put to you. How did I do this? I mean, I know how I did it. But I want you to speculate on it. Truth be told, I can only think of the one way to do this. But I also don't want to overlook anything. And if I did, I hope someone posts a possible solution here.

I plan to reveal the answer in a later post. If you guess right, you will get to find out just by staying tuned right here.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Impressive work, greeter!

You've got bragging rights with this build.

30,000 nodes up? You didn't have to make it *that* challenging to build. :D

I didn't think building down could be done without fly. You proved me wrong!

Complete rooms, that would be in a real-world house, help to make build look more believable, as if Mintestians actually lived there.

Imagining who would live or work in a build helps to give the builder ideas of what to include in the build. The concept of a daughter's bedroom gives some guidance to color choice and what sort of clutter-of-life stuff that would be in there. (Home Decor).

For a bachelor pad -- a TV in front of the toilet and a beer fridge (with frosted mugs in the top freezer) next to the toilet paper . Now,... how to get a microwave within reach for the chili cheese dogs and Buffalo wings without having to get up off the toilet? The Super Bowl *is* coming up soon. Gotta be properly prepared. :0)-

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2022_02_05.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2022_02_11.