[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by Thorton » Post

What a sentimental journey! I forgot about Minetest. Did the cleaning on my computer and came across linuxgaming <3.
I've logged into and I got so touched by the fact that my buildings are still there and look like I haven't been there for 5 minutes. I think I'll come back for some time again :)

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Ok, I got into the mood to build :D. But forgot how to set up protection. HELP!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 13:06
Ok, I got into the mood to build :D. But forgot how to set up protection. HELP!
Welcome back, Thorton. ;)

If you are building new stuff inside of your build area, then you should be all set. Check the lower-left corner of your screen. The Areas info displayed will say who is the owner of that spot. If there is no owner named, then the spot hasn't been claimed yet.

If you are building outside of your build area, then open the Inventory Manager and search for "markers". Craft two marker poles and place one each in diagonally opposing corners of the area you want to set protection on. The marker poles can do a max area of 50 blocks by 100 (vertIcal) blocks by 50 blocks at a time.

If you need an area bigger than that, let Miner_48er or me know and we'll set it up.

~~~~~oO)(Oo~~~~~

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_05_12. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_05_19. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_05_26. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Kpenguin
IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

New pixel art has appeared on the server! Can't wait to see it on the overview map when that gets updated next! It's only 61x38, so not very big, but I like how it turned out. It's in the eastern 1/3 of the map.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_06_16. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Kpenguin, nice work on your pixel art of Peppino. Asphalt is some tough stuff to build with.

Admittedly I had to look-up what "Pizza Tower" is. Maybe it will be available on GOG.com someday. ("Good Old Games" but they do sell some new-ish games too.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_07_01. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Kpenguin has been busy creating some fun pixel art characters. They can be seen on the "8k Map" (~26mb image file, link below) in 1/3rd of the right-hand side, about half way down from the top of the map, and then zoom in a bit.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9nwifp1sievv97r/linuxgaming_8kmap.png

^
I
I

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

I finally completed all the characters in my pixel art!
These characters are from the indie game "Pizza Tower" which came out this year. It's a spiritual successor to the Wario Land series of games from Nintendo and features high speed platforming as well as boss fights. I love the art style of the game and felt like it would make for good pixel art on the server.
On the far left is chef Peppino Spaghetti, the main playable character in the game and owner of Peppino's Pizza. On the right are his main in-game foes. From left to right we have Pepperman, The Noise, Fake Peppino, The Vigilante, and Pizzahead.
This is the reference image that I worked off of, made with some of the in-game sprites:
In total, this build required:
7221 Asphalt
3528 Snow Blocks
3501 Red Wool
2570 Desert Sand Slabs
2412 Yellow Clay
1514 Cyan Wool
897 Brown Wool
451 Lime Wool
365 Desert Cobble
245 Orange Clay
181 Acacia Wood Planks
168 Stone
119 Copper Blocks
for a total of 23172 blocks.
I'd love to add the tower and logo from the reference image, but that phase will require another ~27000 blocks, so I'm not sure that I'm ready for that yet. Even if I don't complete that part, I'm pretty proud of how the rest of the art turned out and hope everyone on the server likes it as much as I do.
Oh, I also need to build a glass observation platform of some kind so people can more easily look at it in its entirety if they don't have fly privs.
Also, go check out Pizza Tower! I've been having a great time with it. The gameplay is very fun and challenging, the art style is perfect for the game, the soundtrack is bangin', and it's on sale for $15 on Steam until July 13th!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_07_07. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Kpenguin -- a lot of blocks and a lot of work. Something "gimme stuff" players are incapable of appreciating. Good job!

pbuttercup

by pbuttercup » Post

How do I join this server? My kid wants to play but its asking for a password. It looks like the perfect fit for her being family friendly and no pvp.

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

pbuttercup wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 19:15
How do I join this server? My kid wants to play but its asking for a password. It looks like the perfect fit for her being family friendly and no pvp.
To join the server, you'll need to come up with a unique username that hasn't been taken by another player and a password. Just put the username you'd like in the name box and the password you'd like to use in the password box (it doesn't need to be anything complicated, just make it complex enough that some n'er-do-well doesn't guess it and hijack the "account".) If your username is already taken, you will be given an invalid password error. Just try another username until you find one that hasn't been taken and you join the server.
Also, check the first post in this thread to make sure you've got the correct version of Minetest.
I've played on this server on and off since ~2015 and I can highly recommend it. It's a friendly place overall and I would certainly be comfortable letting a kid join.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_07_15. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

@pbuttercup, to add to Kpenguin's info; most things in and around the town you first appear in ("Spawntown" or "Spawn") have been protected from digging and gathering. You'll have to either follow the roads out of town or use the yellow phone booth in the corner of the spawn building to travel to places that have more unprotected areas to settle in.

Look in the lower-left corner of your screen, the info there will tell you if the area is owned by another player or not. If no player is listed there, then the area isn't protected and you can dig and gather there.

Once you've found a spot to build in, search the inventory manager for "markers". Craft two red-white poles, stick them in opposite corners of your build area (within 100 blocks wide x 50 blocks deep/high x 100 blocks across), punch the last pole to get the menu to name and claim your spot.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

Huh... I keep getting "Connection timed out" errors :(
I've got them yesterday as well. I thought this server was running 24/7...
MineClone2 dev and modder and the creator of Voxelgarden (revived) || Codeberg

mtvisitor
IRC: mtvisitor
In-game: mtvisitor

by mtvisitor » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2013 21:52

The Caretaker Philosophy
Some of our best players are not great builders but they are good people and good neighbors. They are "caretakers".

Caretakers take care of our community. They don't have to be admins or moderators warding off griefers and trouble makers.

They are positive role models, they lead by setting a good example for others and are pillars of our community.

They possess humility, grace, and the personal experience of "to err is human".

They know when to be firm and when to be forgiving.

They are willing to give a hand but not always a "hand-out".

They are there to greet new comers and "welcome back" returning friends.

This hopefully gives you an idea of what type of community we are striving for.
I like the statement of "The Caretaker Philosophy" and "PowerPlayer Tips" in your post on the first page.

Yeah, "family-safe" is important. 😊

By the way, why your server is labeled as Incompatible Server in the minetest game Server List ?
Crane Zhou | My mt. world, my mt. dream | No money, no happy.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mtvisitor wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 22:11
By the way, why your server is labeled as Incompatible Server in the minetest game Server List ?
Because you are using client 5.x and this server ist 0.4.x,
but if you start a 0.4.x client, then it will work = compatible protocoll.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

mtvisitor
IRC: mtvisitor
In-game: mtvisitor

by mtvisitor » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 23:38
mtvisitor wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 22:11
Because you are using client 5.x and this server ist 0.4.x,
but if you start a 0.4.x client, then it will work = compatible protocoll.
Ok. No problem.
I will review later with my minetest software client 5.x.

Festus1965: You are a senior game player. 🤝
Crane Zhou | My mt. world, my mt. dream | No money, no happy.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thanks @Festus1965 for clearing that up.

@mtvistor and @rudzik8, here is a GitHub link to the version of Minetest that LinuxGaming runs, there is an installer for Windows and source code for Linux:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/re ... tag/0.4.14

Yes, it's old but rock solid.

If you are trying to connect from a mobile device, the connection may not be strong enough or consistent enough to stay connected to the MInetest server.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 00:08
Yes, it's old but rock solid.

If you are trying to connect from a mobile device, the connection may not be strong enough or consistent enough to stay connected to the MInetest server.
That is more important than actual, gimmicks and so : Stability (of server there and stuff maintaining)

What mobile connection you mean:
* GSM : yes depending on the user and location, BUT as server admin you can lower the send data as of lower send mapblocks distance also
* WiFI : the use most don't know they can lower the connection rate, not using most max of 54 Mbps, what is even not needed when the internet to the router is just 5 Mbps, but a lower wifi rate like 22 or 11 Mbps is much more stable ! But here same - server can help here also by lower the send data in once, let the player force new data by move if want to see more area.
That much higher send mapblock distance settings I used to get rid of mobile players in the past successful haha.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 00:08
@mtvistor and @rudzik8, here is a GitHub link to the version of Minetest that LinuxGaming runs, there is an installer for Windows and source code for Linux:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/re ... tag/0.4.14
No luck whatsoever. :(
Maybe you have some sort of a proxy blocker? Because I'm using a VPN...
MineClone2 dev and modder and the creator of Voxelgarden (revived) || Codeberg

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_07_21. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

@rudzik8, the only other thing I can think of is that your IP address falls inside of a range of IPs that have been blocked.

Over the years there have been many root hack attempts and a few persistent bad players so extra steps were taken to protect the server. Unfortunately that not only blocked the bad it also blocked the good that are within those ranges.

There are a lot more Minetest servers to try. There is no limit to the number of servers that can be joined so take a tour of them and pick a couple (or a few) that you like.

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

The full art with the tower and logo has been completed!
I've added a viewing platform for the ideal view.
There is also now a road built on the map equator from just south of Xiong's ranch in the Immaculate Residential District, all the way out to the Pizza Tower art. Feels good to complete such a big project!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Epic piece of work, Kpenquin!

Thanks for the road work and viewing station, too.

Folks, what you can't see in the pic is that each character and the words above the tower are all on separate layers of its own. It is a piece of work to behold. (And it was a *lot* of work; more than you can imagine if you've never done something of this size and complexity.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_08_04 (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_08_11 (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)