[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_07_09. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_07_15. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_07_22. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_07_29. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_08_05. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_08_12. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_08_19. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_08_26. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Yearly suggestion/reminder to finally update to current version :p

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_09_02. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Fixer, thanks for the reminder and concern. I'll update my server in my own time. Till then there are plenty of 5.x and 4.x servers out there for players to enjoy.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_09_09. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_10_14. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_11_04. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_12_02. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_12_09. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2022_12_16. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_01_16. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

lordawe

by lordawe » Post

Hi LazyJ! I connected after years and my account is still working, and my place is still intact! THX!

24/7minetester
IRC: Trifton
In-game: Trifton

by 24/7minetester » Post

What happened to player stats? They're all zeroed out now.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

lordawe wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 08:43
Hi LazyJ! I connected after years and my account is still working, and my place is still intact! THX!
Your welcome. ;)

24/7minetester wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 15:29
Dunno. Took a peek at the code; nothing's changed there. The stats file is timestamped with today's date and the time of the last player to log in. I'll make some time to check into it a bit more this weekend but may end up removing it. Haven't have much use for the stats mod since I learned how to grep the logs.

24/7minetester

by 24/7minetester » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 02:26
lordawe wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 08:43
Your welcome. ;)

24/7minetester wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 15:29
Dunno. Took a peek at the code; nothing's changed there. The stats file is timestamped with today's date and the time of the last player to log in. I'll make some time to check into it a bit more this weekend but may end up removing it. Haven't have much use for the stats mod since I learned how to grep the logs.
*nods*
Maybe some invisible time rollover?

24/7minetester

by 24/7minetester » Post

Uh-oh.
Looks like we've had some griefing taking place around and within GanjaTown, primarily targeting the road system.
Fencing is gone and light blocks are missing. Also, plenty of desert cobble is gone, along with highway delineators.

I've already begun to repair some of the damage by protecting all the road space in GanjaTown, as well as protecting off most of the open area within GanjaTown to (temporarily) limit future expansion by random players. Attached are screenshots of the damage.

(P.S.: Also letting you know that TheGuinzo's new pixelart creation is encroaching on not only the GanjaTown Apartments, but also 2 of my tree farms and the highway running on that side of the apartments.

(P.S. 2: Is the VPS still running Ubuntu Server 18.04? It goes EOL in a couple of months.)

EDIT: I've temporarily blocked all roads leading into GanjaTown off from the highway system.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_02_10. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

Stats Mod -- The Stats mod is working again. I don't understand the mechanics of the problem but it seems that the massive amount of records in the file was contributing factor. The stats file was only 539kb in size but contained many tens of thousands of player entries. (The Stats mod has been keeping record of every player that has logged in since the mod was installed some years back.) I made a backup copy of the stats file, then deleted the original file. The Stats mod created a fresh, new file from scratch and began reporting the player stats as it should. There's a small catch,however; since the Stats mod is working from a new file it only has info on players who have logged in since the new file was created. Not an issue that is even remotely mission critical so,... meh, nothing to be bothered by.

Road Griefing -- Griefing is just an unfortunate fact of having a server that is open to the public. The road griefing in Ganja Town is too old for the Rollback function to restore. Trying to set protection on every stretch of road is a very intricate and monumental task (I've tried). In the end, protecting roads causes its own set of problems -- players need to be able to connect to the roads and need to be able to change the roads as towns and other large projects develop. Generally I advise players to set Areas' protection on all their builds but when it comes to roads, unless it is a bridge or the roads are in the player's build area, it's more pragmatic to make the roads out of cheap, easily replaced blocks, and leave the road unprotected. Yeah, someday griefers may rip it up but if all they get out of it is cobble, then they've wasted their time. For non-griefers who want to connect to the road or redirect it, it is much easier to make the necessary revisions if the road is unprotected. A cobble road is better than no road and, besides, cobble is a very time-honored road material. The ancient road builders got it right a long time ago.

Respect Other Players' Build Areas -- There is no need to build on top of each other or to build right up against another player's creations. There are a tremendous amount of unclaimed, wide-open spaces on the server and an adequate amount of teleport options to travel back-and-forth between great distances. Guinzo, that goes for you too. Your pop-up pixelart is pleasing to the eye but your choice of location needs better consideration. TheGuinzo's pixelart has been moved 10 meters away from 24/7minetester's tree farm.

Host VPS Operating System Upgrade -- Last night I updated the host VPS's operating system from Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS to Ubuntu 22.04.01 LTS. It didn't go as smooth as I had hoped but things finally worked-out in the end. Up until last night the VPS's uptime was 692 days. Minetest had run all of those days with only 7 days when Minetest crashed but was auto-restarted within minutes. These nerd stats translate into "Yeah, it's old but solid as a rock when it comes to stability and reliability."

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_04_28. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: The overview maps have been updated to 2023_05_05. (Found in the first post of this thread --> "Server Details" --> "Overview Maps". Click to display.)