[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

noob101
In-game: noob101

Re: [0.4.12] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by noob101 » Post

Now, first things first: Hello everybody! Some of you have already met me in-game, and now since the captcha finally produced something legible, I could as well register here.

I'm gonna cut the usual praises for this server short: It's simply amazing, and what contributes a lot to it is the wave of friendly help that rolled over me by the regulars (Admins and not). I'll try to adapt to that and contribute as well to keep the level up!
klappspaten wrote:Another reason is that most players seem to prefer water-elevators for deep mining. Keep in mind that the server's "economy" is based on cobble. So a lot of players mining to make "money" would have ended up with stacks of mossy cobble they'd have considered as useless. Adding a shop buying mossy cobble though would've just added another artificial currency and unnecessarily complicated the "cobble business".

So, disabling the auto-conversion and adding the mossies as recipes should be the better way - and a lot more convenient for most players.
I'm with you here, especially for the monetary reason. Another solution, though I don't know if possible, would be the moss being scratched off when the stone is mined. This would solve my issue with it, but not the zombification klappspaten mentioned.
However it's only an idea, so far I haven't used the mossy kind at all (and melted into stone for concrete what I mined), and the annoyance factor was on "bearable" for me while it was on.

OK, you have a good day, cu noob101

EDIT: Is it a good or bad omen to open up page 13 of a thread with the first post made? IDK...

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Updates
  • Minetest_Game updated to 2105_04_22 GitHub release - mapgen stuff that won't be visible till the engine is updated again on our server.
  • Unified Inventory updated to 2015_04_18 - fixed the sethome sometimes returning the player half a block too deep.
  • Ambience updated to 2015_04_16 - nothing new, just code maintenance.
  • MoreBlocks updated to 2015_04_18 - nothing new, just code maintenance.
  • Markers updated to 2015_04_09 - now the marker poles don't have to be placed in a perfect rectangle, the mod will figure out the rectangular area for you and the other big improvement is now only 2 poles in opposing corners, instead of 4 poles, is needed to set area protection. CAUTION - it is recommended that you remove your marker poles after you've set protection on the area. Leaving them behind and using another set elsewhere may cause the mod to try to calculate the total area of all your marker poles, which would result in an area that exceeds the size limit and an error message to that effect. Use lights on top of fence posts or some other, simple, 1x1 structure to identify your property's corners - marker stones are perfect for this.
  • PlantLife updated to 2015_04_12 - the small, potted flower's pots have been converted to meshnodes. The new pots are 3D. If you use any of the HDX series texture packs (currently up to 2015_04_18 versions), the old-style pot will appear sitting on top of the new-style pot. You will have to either fix the image by editting the textures yourself or wait till VanessaE can update HDX again.
  • A new tool has been added - a "steelbrush". Use this tool on mossy stones and their saw-made stuff to change them back to normal without rotating them out of position.
  • HomeDecor has been updated to 2015_04_22.
    • More items have been converted to meshnodes.
    • There are some new candles in metal candlestick holders, a new candle wall sconce, and a new, circular ceiling lamp.
    • The new meshnode conversion of the deckchair looks very different. The old-style deckchair looked fancier, perfect for upscale resorts and spas, so I put its code back in. There are now three types of deckchairs, two new-style meshnode deckchairs and the old-style nodebox deckchair. I've added a swap recipe to change the white deckchair to the old-style deckchair and back. The existing, fancy deckchairs will not be automatically converted to the new style.
    • thefamilygrog66's "Lavalamp" mod has been absorbed into HomeDecor. The new new meshnode versions of the lavalamps look radically different from the old lavalamps. The old lavalamps have been used to create lighted pillars in builds and as power conduits or piping in spaceship engine rooms. The new style just wouldn't look right for those builds so I edited the new version of Lavalamps to coexist with the old version. I've added swap recipes for these too.
    • This update of HomeDecor changed the way wood and locked signs are positioned by the code. This will cause the older wood and locked signs to flip out of position. I recommend digging the signs and placing them again so they are updated in the database. There was a problem of text not displaying on the new locked signs but I managed to figure out a fix for it so the text now displays and I also posted the fix on HomeDecor's GitHub so it can be added to the maintstream version of the modpack.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

I've changed a setting on the server that will hopefully smooth-out some of the lag. The catch is, Minetest clients 0.4.10 and older will not be able to connect to our server. This also affects several Minetest apps because they still use older network protocols.

Please upgrade your Minetest client to 0.4.11 or newer. The server is currently running Minetest 0.4.12 stable.

linkukun

Skin for Linku

by linkukun » Post

WhiteKnight
In-game: BluAngel

by WhiteKnight » Post

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Howdy, Linku and Blu ;)

Your skins have been uploaded and will take effect after the next server restart (backup time).

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Updates
  • Minetest_game updated to 2015_04_26 GitHub release. This changes how cacti grow. Sideways cacti will no longer grow vertical stalks. You will have to dig the sideways cacti and place them upright. Because of this change in the cacti's code, I reworked their default texture a bit to make it easier to determine which parts are the ends and which are the sides.
  • Building_Blocks' tar and MoreBlocks' tar are now interchangeable in recipes that use them. I've also added their modnames to their descriptions to make it easier to tell which is which.
  • HomeDecor has been updated. Banisters for stairs have been added, the HomeDecor beds now work like default beds; they can change night to day and set player's spawn points when used, and more items have been converted to meshnodes. HomeDecor is a constant WIP so there will be more incremental updates as time goes on.
Tip for newbies; reminder for Minetest veterans: Many blocks, like cactus, auto-rotate when you place them on the side of or on the underside of other blocks. If you hold the shift key when you place blocks in those positions, the placed block will stay in its upright position when placed. The opposite is true when you place the block on top of another block while holding the shift key. The direction these auto-rotating blocks face also depends on the direction you are facing when you place them. It takes practice to get used to when to use the Shift key and where to stand as you place auto-rotating blocks.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • HomeDecor updated to 2015_04_28 release:
    • New table-top oil lamp.
    • New brass taps for the sink.
    • New ironing board.
    • More items have been converted to meshnodes and some of the textures those meshes use.
    • Showerhead now emits falling water drops and shower sound. For this to work, the shower head must be 2 blocks above the shower tray. If the shower head is farther away from the shower tray, the water effect won't trigger. If the shower tray is removed the water effect will stop. When setup, right-click on the shower head to turn the water on and off.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2015_04_30.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thread Headers
The headers used in the past have been made from screenshots of nice builds on the server. This gives much deserved recognition to the players who created the builds, shows-off nice stuff that actually exists on our server, and further promotes Minetest itself by showing what is possible. Because of this, I want to continue using headers derived from screenshots of our server. You are welcome to submit screenshot-based headers. The design specs are:
  • Screenshot from our server of nice looking builds.
  • "LinuxGaming.us" should be legible and is second in visual priority to the screenshot.
  • Header image dimensions are 1020x455 pixels.
  • Compressed png file (pngquant does a fast and good job) or jpg file(generaly known but usually forgotten - smaller image file size = quicker download).
  • pngquant command: pngquant --force --nofs --ext .png --speed 1 *.png
The "Avatar" header, for example, prominently displays the statues by shadowpawn84, ubuntuyou, and klappspaten. The text, "LinuxGaming.us", is large enough to easily read but transparent so as not to detract too much from the screenshot - takes trial-and-error to find the right balance.

~ "Avatars" by shadowpawn84, ubuntuyou, and klappspaten. ~

If you would like to create such thread headers, that would be a great help but never feel that you are obligated too. This is just for fun.

Screenshots
Posting screenshots of the server on our thread also helps to promote our server and Minetest in general. Please use compressed images so the thread pages load quicker. Not everyone has high-speed Internet and unlimited download size. Imgur.com is a great, free, image hosting service. It even provides bulletin board friendly links ("img" tags in brackets) to make it easy to post the images on our thread. I have a link list, in the first thread post, that links to nice looking screenshot posts scattered in the thread. We haven't had any server "photo-journalists" for a while so it would be nice to be able to expand the list. ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

klappspaten has asked to retire from being an admin. She'll still be playing when she can and will still be keeping an eye on us.

Thanks for all that you have done for the server and the players, klappspaten ;)

noob101

by noob101 » Post

LazyJ wrote:klappspaten has asked to retire from being an admin. She'll still be playing when she can and will still be keeping an eye on us.
That's a bit sad! Please don't leave us at all!

Now, since LazyJ encouraged us to post screenshots, let me show you my humble creations:
First the Beach Resort and Club, not completely finished, but the first I did besides my own house...

Second the Clifftop Restaurant, towering high above, and playing with glass and the height...

Last and latest the Yellow Submarine, born out of an on-server chat asking why noone did a submarine before, while there are a number of ships...

I know now why, because it's a LOT of work to drain out the water afterwards.

You see, all still a bit WiP, but well, still not bad after all, I guess.

See you, have fun. noob101
Attachments
Minetest_noob_submarine.png
Minetest_noob_submarine.png (242.99 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Minetest_noob_clifftop-restaurant.png
Minetest_noob_clifftop-restaurant.png (231.93 KiB) Viewed 790 times
minetest_noob_beach-club.png
minetest_noob_beach-club.png (312.09 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Looks very nice, noob101. Hope to see more!
A list of my mods can be found here.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Thanks, Sokomine. Have sth. new started already...

A huge thank you to whoever cleared out almost all the remaining water today in my absence. Was a great big help!

See you, noob101

WhiteKnight

by WhiteKnight » Post

Here is a link to some shots of my pixel art and cafe on my BluAngel google+ page. Enjoy! I will be posting more pics every time I make something new.
https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/1031 ... 4142280801

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

The server has crashed a couple times today because of "Invalid block data in database".

I will try to figure this out but unfortunately I have to deal with real-life issues now.

The server will be shutdown for several hours while it runs clear objects. In the meantime I've made a manual backup, will download that and try to work through the cause of the crashes on my computer. Worst case scenario, the server will be down for Sunday and part of Monday and the backup copy from yesterday (or earlier if necessary) would be restored and used but that will mean everything that players made since then will be undone.

My apologies for the down time.

WhiteKnight

by WhiteKnight » Post

Ok, thanks LazyJ

We will miss you as an admin, klappspaten ;)

Thron
In-game: Thron

by Thron » Post

Sharing my world on this Fantastic server!!! Thanks Admin for your hard work keeping this server stable and fine-tuned :)

Some of my pics:

and some more :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyec2y9nt8xms ... 4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62m26tgxqjv9t ... 0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tybbeo3bhohg7 ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/se95tto6coob0 ... 9.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6axs4tw7kyt1d ... 7.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/awufdf129bx4b ... 6.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0046d7tnnezab ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwt4w5tzz9u3y ... 7.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdborrkcneyo9 ... 4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ou6dfarjoozok ... 0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6axtwaee6iaqs ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyec2y9nt8xms ... 4.png?dl=0

Thx Thron

The Server to Be!!! :)
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (411.4 KiB) Viewed 790 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (149.89 KiB) Viewed 790 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (274.85 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Last edited by Thron on Wed May 06, 2015 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

*gasp *shiver *twitch *cry
I need my server back! Where's my minetest server? Suffering from serious lack of minetest activities already!
*sob

Had to be said. See ya, as soon as it's back up that is. noob101

BenAmaranth

by BenAmaranth » Post

So many exciting things happening on the server! I'm missing out. Hopefully I'll be back soon.

Thron

by Thron » Post

I see the server OFF. is it possible for admin to give us a email.. to contact them to find out whats going on :(

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Our Minetest server has had a rough week and now it seems the VPS, itself, has crashed.

I've sent an email to Orby asking him to look into the VPS (Virtual Private Sever) side of things.

As for the earlier crashes that Minetest has been having, Miner_48er and I have found what we think may be the general cause but the problem appears to be rooted in the game engine itself - that's a bug for the Minetest developers to work-out.

I haven't been able to be around this week because I started a full-time job and had family visiting.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Thanks a ton, LazyJ, for responding, oh, and congrats on the job, btw!

Yeah, can't be helped to happen every once in a while, so - though I don't know what to do right now, so I'll just stand by...

See you, noob101

Thron

by Thron » Post

Thx LazyJ and all admin for this great server. I just miss the server, but most my friends on it. Congrats on your new job lazy and all the best. Hope to see you all soon..

Cheerz
Thron

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

A bit of info to help relieve some worries folks may have.

The last time the VPS went down was about a year ago. So, events like this are rare but nothing new to us.

Orby pays the rent for the VPS and is the only one of us with access to restart it. Orby is also a family man with a job and is attending university for his PhD in mathematics. It takes a while for him to notice my emails and give the VPS a swift kick-start to get it running again.