[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Update:

The VPS host sent me an email saying they will be shutting stuff down for another round of maintenance; their estimate is two hours at most, probably less (fingers crossed). The machine LinuxGaming is on will be shutdown this coming Wednesday (January 17th) in the wee hours of the morning prior to LG's normal time for backups. I'll set my alarm to wake me at intervals up to check on things. If the host server goes back online while I'm asleep the Minetest server should start on its own. The IRC server will be down after the restart until my alarm goes off again and I manually restart the IRC.

The email also said that there will probably be another maintenance shutdown in the near future but no date or time was given.

Update 2018_01_17, 1:30am LG is running again. I went through a few random, far-flung go-points and everything seemed to be working normally.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_01_30.

Thorton
IRC: Thorton
In-game: Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Hey people.
I've a question. Is time stopping when I leave the game? I put some cobble into the oven, after 2 days it's 12 done only. As if I put them and they stopped production when i leave.
If so this will bring more indepth problems :)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:Hey people.
I've a question. Is time stopping when I leave the game? I put some cobble into the oven, after 2 days it's 12 done only. As if I put them and they stopped production when i leave.
If so this will bring more indepth problems :)
Howdy Thorton ;)

This is normal for the older version of the Minetest engine (MT 0.4.14) and game that LinuxGaming is still running. The newer versions of Minetest furnaces use node timers that calculate progress over time. LG is still running the old style that use automatic block modifiers (ABM) to run furnaces, ovens, plant and sapling growth, ice formation, mossy cobble conversion, bare dirt to snow or grass conversion, etc. because the game and mods are old. It's the way they are supposed to work for their vintage.

A "block" in Mineteset developer terms is a 32m x 32m x32m area. When there are no players in the 32m^3 area, the ABMs stop working and the area is unloaded from memory until a player returns to the area. In a sense, time does stop in that 32m^3 area. When any player enters the area, the area is loaded into memory and the ABMs pickup where they left off.

If no players have been in your area for 2 days, then it is like time has stopped in that area for 2 days. The furnaces and anything else driven by ABMs, lie dormant until you (or anyone else) returns to your area. If a player comes within 32m of the furnace, then the ABM for that furnace will activate and the furnace will start cooking stuff again. From the time the ABM restarted the furnace till the moment you looked into it, 12 things had been cooked.

Some things like furnaces will be switched to node timers when the MT engine and the relevant parts of the mods' code are eventually updated. I'm still working my way through the old mods and custom version of minetest_game that LG uses to be compatible with the MT 0.4.17 engine. Newer versions of the mods LG uses have made changes that will wreck LG if just uploaded without editing. That's why I'm keeping the old mods and old game as-is, except for making them compatible with the new engine. After that has been accomplished I'll work on getting the mods and game updated (which are an intertwined mess of patches, custom code and custom mods that bridge other mods, to sort out).

No estimate on when these updates will be done. I know this is taking me a long time but LG has been around for a long time in part because of my slow and cautious approach to updates.

~~~

** Tip Reminder 1: When a player has a lot of stuff to cook, create a bake room or a wall of furnaces. For example, a small, 3 x 3 wall of 9 furnaces with enough fuel and 11 items in each will cook 99 items about 9 times faster than a single furnace cooking 99 items all by itself.

** Tip Reminder 2: When it comes to fuels, coal blocks cook the longest. In LinuxGaming, oil extract cooks the second longest (and is cheap!).

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

So many existantional problems your answer gave...

If I plant a tree on a far end of the map. Noone will ever reach it, and I quit playing for like a year or so, when I return the tree will be still a sample only.
How about people? If my connection crushes, therefore my avatar stays in game without me is it alive or is it dead?
This is just a top of an iceberg...

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_02_10.

StormFox
IRC: StormFox
In-game: StormFox

by StormFox » Post

I found my first Nyan Cat! He was swimming peacefully under the water as I was clay hunting out in the middle of nowhere. Silly me, I forgot to note the coords before returning home with him. Say hello to Samson! XP

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Image failed :(

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Thorton wrote:Image failed :(
I think it is a browser issue. I didn't see it either - on FireFox 58 with a Linux OS.
Storm, did you post this with Chrome/Chromium?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Do not use imgur or other 3rd party hosters, instead, add images as attachments on forum, here is your image, you are welcome :)

Attachments
nIbyn9s.jpg
nIbyn9s.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 793 times

StormFox
IRC: StormFox
In-game: StormFox

by StormFox » Post

Fixerol wrote:Do not use imgur or other 3rd party hosters, instead, add images as attachments on forum, here is your image, you are welcome :)

Thank you so much! I couldn't recall how to add images on here lol. Much appreciated. :)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_02_17.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_02_24.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_03_02.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_03_08.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_03_18.

Zoig
In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Post

I've got a small problem with my observatory build. Right in between the observatory and the road, there is a little farm. I put it there way back when. But it seems I didn't protect it like the observatory. So now I come back to playing minetest and find out - the farm has been protected by ttyy. There is no user ttyy on the forum however, afaik.

Is there a way of getting in touch with ttyy somehow? I don't care if he/she keeps the farm, I just want it to be moved aside, so that I can build a bridge from the road to the entrance of the observatory. The farm is in the way right now.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Zoig wrote:I've got a small problem with my observatory build. Right in between the observatory and the road, there is a little farm. I put it there way back when. But it seems I didn't protect it like the observatory. So now I come back to playing minetest and find out - the farm has been protected by ttyy. There is no user ttyy on the forum however, afaik.

Is there a way of getting in touch with ttyy somehow? I don't care if he/she keeps the farm, I just want it to be moved aside, so that I can build a bridge from the road to the entrance of the observatory. The farm is in the way right now.

Howdy Zoig ;)

I checked the logs and ttyy has not logged in since 2016_06_30. That is well past the six month wait period for turning over abandoned builds or areas over to another player for renovation, rework, or renaturing.

ttyy's protection on that small field has been removed and the area is ready for your infrastructure work. ;)

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Two usual suggestions:
1) Move spawn to city outskirts in a place where you want to direct more construction
2) Update to 0.4.16

Zoig
In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Post

Thanks LazyJ, already cleaned up the farm somewhat and claimed the protection of the area, so that no accidents can happen anymore :D

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_03_31.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2018_04_06.

Thorton

by Thorton » Post

Hey LazyJ. My nephew Maktrzy is not playing anymore, can you switch his area to my protection?

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thorton wrote:Hey LazyJ. My nephew Maktrzy is not playing anymore, can you switch his area to my protection?
Howdy Thorton ;)

I checked the logs and Maktrzy's last login was back in May of 2017, almost a year ago. That's well past the 6 month waiting period for transfers, renovations, reworks, and renaturing. I've switched Maktrzy's areas over to you along with the locked chest.

~~~

Update: Overview maps have been updated to 2018_04_14.

greeter
IRC: greeter
In-game: greeter

by greeter » Post

Something I've noticed about connecting to the server.

If your internet uses IPv6 to try to connect to the minetest server, the connection fails. It doesn't help that linuxgaming2.com has an AAAA DNS entry. You can connect by manually entering the IPv4 address of the server. I'm not sure if the minetest server on LG2 is configured for IPv6 or if minetest in general can't support it, but there's something about it that keeps the connection from working properly.