Zombie Land idea?

bailey-boo

Zombie Land idea?

by bailey-boo » Post

I'm thinking of doing a zombie server with one mod in mind. I want to know if anyone would be interested in this or not so I don't waste my time, but I DO want to make a server.

IDEA LIST
  • Fort type city, if we run out of room then we'll have to expand underground
    MODS AND MODS OF STUFF
    Weapons will be used for violence (obviously)
    Shops and such in areas of the city
    Don't go alone theme
    Warriors, shop keepers and citizens alike
    NPC's??
Shoot me a message if you have ideas or if you want to help.

Mods (NONE OF THEM ARE MINE!):

viewtopic.php?id=6224 by qznc

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Slight problem... from my experience they spawn anywhere in any light so now-where is safe.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

bailey-boo

by bailey-boo » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:Slight problem... from my experience they spawn anywhere in any light so now-where is safe.
That would pose a bit of a problem. I wonder if there's any other zombie mods?

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

bailey-boo wrote:
Dan Duncombe wrote:Slight problem... from my experience they spawn anywhere in any light so now-where is safe.
I guess it's alright if people always carry weapons and armour... Maybe have people as guards to patrol and defend the city?
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

But they do. Ask the mod maker to change it.

EDIT: I am working on a mod that adds automatic turrets that can shoot'n'kill zombies with ease.
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Okay, you may find this helpful: https://github.com/DanDuncombe/camo_modpack

It is my camo mod, but it now has turrets that each automatically try to kill any mob within 10 nodes range, 20 nodes range if on top of turret computer, so put them around the city and any zombie that spawns in it will be killed!
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Mon Jul 22, 2013 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

bailey-boo

by bailey-boo » Post

That looks great! Can they spawn underground as well?

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

bailey-boo wrote:That looks great! Can they spawn underground as well?
The zombies? They spawn on any node, in air. So on top of anything. It could be easily changed though. I think change line 406 from:

Code: Select all

nodenames = nodes,
to say,

Code: Select all

nodenames = default:dirt_with_grass,
The second thing will only spawn them on default:dirt_with_grass

Nubelite

by Nubelite » Post

some ideas below that might make it a bit more manageable performance wise for the server and better for players.

--you can have the spawn be player dependent so as a player moves during a certain time of day (you can reference the bed mod for the time code) and then give it a chance for the zombie to pop up within a certain area of a player, say 15 nodes away.
--you can then put a timer on each zombie so after 30 seconds or a minute they just disappear if they are not killed. (need world time mod)
--you could also add a ground dependency for them popping up. if the ground is not dirt then they will not spawn on that node. then you just keep the dirt out of town and put up a fence/wall and then you are safe in the town. (look at nature mod for that code)

this is all doable just needs some coding. Good Luck.

bailey-boo

by bailey-boo » Post

Thank you! I'm so horrible with coding and I'm new to servers as well.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

bailey-boo wrote:Thank you! I'm so horrible with coding and I'm new to servers as well.
What I said only lets them spawn on dirt_with_grass. They spawn 55 nodes away from people by default.

qznc

by qznc » Post

My idea was to make them spawn in time intervals. The interval could be set higher like 2min spawning then 5min peace. However, I did not want to just destroy all zombies at the end of the spawning phase. This leads to the problem, the zombies spawn during the 2min and still attack during "peace" time.

The biggest problem I faced is to control the number of zombies. The minetest API seems to provide no reliable way to track the zombie count.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

qznc wrote:
My idea was to make them spawn in time intervals. The interval could be set higher like 2min spawning then 5min peace. However, I did not want to just destroy all zombies at the end of the spawning phase. This leads to the problem, the zombies spawn during the 2min and still attack during "peace" time.

The biggest problem I faced is to control the number of zombies. The minetest API seems to provide no reliable way to track the zombie count.
To control the numbers use my turrets :) Just worldedit them in all over the map.
EDIT: I am also thinking of adding 'sirens' that sound a warning when a mob or entity is near...
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Tue Jul 23, 2013 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Purrune

by Purrune » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:
bailey-boo wrote:
I guess it's alright if people always carry weapons and armour... Maybe have people as guards to patrol and defend the city?
ideas: You can use mob framework or simple mobs, but mobf seems to cause quite a bit of lag for servers, but it has actually has a zombie that looks pretty creepy. simple mobs are good, but many gather in a deep valley. Small lag but it only has mobs for block elements such as sand, dirt, trees, and cobble.
Last edited by Purrune on Tue Apr 14, 2015 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Purrune

by Purrune » Post

REMEMBER:: never delets a mob pack!!

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

You may find this gamemode helpful: viewtopic.php?id=6696

ch98

by ch98 » Post

I think my force field mod will help if you have an fast server.
viewtopic.php?id=5676
Last edited by ch98 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

Froggy

by Froggy » Post

I had a very similar idea to this... pretty much the same. It was inspired heavily by Fallout. I was thinking of having an underground sanctuary (the vault) where the main spawn would be, and above there would be the wasteland. It would have limited free supplies along with many shops where you could buy and sell materials to help you. I tried making an (almost) pure desert world to help the whole "zombie apocalypse" theme, and found some help here: viewtopic.php?pid=103820#p103820. It really looks like a wasteland like that.

Then, you could use a mod to spawn random buildings throughout the world to finalize that wasteland feel. Various different ruins could be spawned, like half of a destroyed building, remnants of houses, and maybe even a bomb shelter - if that's possible. They could contain chests with food. With the hunger mod and bones mod, you'd need to get food from farming trees and other food from farming_plus mod to survive and not lose all your stuff. This would make the rare dirt extremely valuable.

Essential mods would be:
-firearms
-farming_plus
-teleporter
-money
-mesecons
-camo_modpack
-3d_armor
-throwing
-survival_modpack
-some sort of zombie mod like zombie waves

If someone hosted a server like this, it would probably be extremely successful!

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Just stumbled upon this one again. I don't know if it still works:

kkdekadenz apocalypse mod:

viewtopic.php?id=2286