[Server] VanessaE's Survival Server [5.1.0-dev]

ThatGraemeGuy
GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

Re: VanessaE's Survival Server [0.4.9]

by ThatGraemeGuy » Post

webdesigner97 wrote: There's a dam near spawn with 4,200,00EU@LV
What are the co-ords for this? I found a dam while exploring a while ago but I don't recall seeing the amount of LV generators it would take to generate so much power. :-o Unless it's all out of sight I guess.

Nakilashiva
IRC: Naki
In-game: Nakilashiva

Re: VanessaE's Survival Server [git]

by Nakilashiva » Post

Hey, VanessaE, for some reason I logged on to the Survival Server today and found that all my work for like the past 36 hours or so is gone, like a rollback happened or something. I'm confused and quite sad...is there any way I can get all my work back?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

See my reply on IRC.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nakilashiva

by Nakilashiva » Post

I actually don't know how to use IRC :(

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

All of my servers are connected to an IRC chat network, I replied to you there. You would have seen my replies as if they were routine chat on the server.

Anyway, I don't know what happened to your structures, but I do know that one of my admins performed two rollback checks about two hours apart. The server crashed both times due to a bug, but it's possible that the admin in question issued a rollback on suspicion of griefing.

Since I was away from the computer at the time and the admin who was active at the time of the rollback checks is not presently available, I don't yet know what happened.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Nakilashiva

by Nakilashiva » Post

I think I figured out how to use ICR, haha.
An admin could have rollbacked me on suspicion of griefing, as I was modifying other's work near my areas. The areas were protected so nothing happened. Truth is I'm helping some of my friends build up this one area and I just didn't notice that they hadn't given me access to their areas yet, so it might look like attempting to grief but that was not my intent and my friends (Bluebird & Treebeard) shrugged it off.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nakilashiva wrote: The areas were protected so nothing happened.
In that case, checking for rollback will not report any violation. This server is very safe in that regard. If you can't built somewhere due to protection, it tells you that - and that's about it. Trying to place a torch and digging it afterwards is sometimes a practical way for checking out protections.
Nakilashiva wrote: Truth is I'm helping some of my friends build up this one area and I just didn't notice that they hadn't given me access to their areas yet, so it might look like attempting to grief but that was not my intent
Perhaps you mistook another building for that of your friends, or they where not aware that the modifications where done by you. I havn't been there and don't know what happened or why you where rolled back (if that's what it was - and not just some loss due to the crash VanessaE reported). Putting up a sign that you're building together may help a bit.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nakilashiva

by Nakilashiva » Post

A sign is a good idea.

ThatGraemeGuy
GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

by ThatGraemeGuy » Post

Excerpt from IRC, not sure if this helps any:

[09:42:43] <VE-Survival> *** Bluebird joined the game
[09:46:23] <VE-Survival> <Bluebird> Is there anyone on who knows anything about the rollback that happened to Nakilashiva's buildings?
[09:49:23] <VE-Survival> <Bluebird> Just throwing this out there so that someone in charge who looks at the IRC log can take notice: In case Nakilashiva was rolled back because someone thought she might have been griefing -- Nakilashiva was supposed to have access to my area, and I just didn't given her access to *all* of them. Some protection violations probably showed up in a log and someone might have got trigger-happy. End report.
[09:50:20] <VE-Survival> <Bluebird> Addendum: if it is possible to undo a rollback, I'm sure Nakilashiva would really appreciate it.
[09:57:01] <VE-Survival> *** Bluebird left the game

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I spoke with my admin about this and Bluebird's assessment is actually just about spot-on.

Unfortunately, even though all the data is of course still there in the rollback log, there's no way to "roll-forward" to undo the rollback action; Nakilashiva will have to rebuild. :-/

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

so what might be usefull would be a rollback-log to WE-schematic converter.
That way the object could be inspected and adjusted before adding it to the world again

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Hi, just a small problem to add to the list.
Been away for awhile, logged in, and found an area had changed ownership.
Don't think there's any intent on it, maybe accidental but shows a concern to look into.
Area ID is 311
I had originally created/built and set the area protection, I then shared the area with BudderCry - ign, but now after been away, I no longer have access to the area as it is only owned by him!
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

VanessaE wrote: Unfortunately, even though all the data is of course still there in the rollback log, there's no way to "roll-forward" to undo the rollback action; Nakilashiva will have to rebuild. :-/
An undo function for rollback would be very useful. On MC classic, I did rollback and subsequently undo part of the rollback as normal part of the building process. Whenever changes did not prove to look as good as desired, rollback was useful. If it took too much away, the inverse command restored that part.
twoelk wrote: so what might be usefull would be a rollback-log to WE-schematic converter.
That way the object could be inspected and adjusted before adding it to the world again
Depends on how extensive the logfile is. I once managed to restore something where the map didn't save by applying grep and co to the logfile and thus creating something like the old WorldEdit save file. As this was WorldEdit and using add_node (not a schematic), the mapblocks which where affected had to be loaded. It was still a lot of manual work.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nakilashiva

by Nakilashiva » Post

It's okay, I didn't have too much undone, just a couple days of work. I've rebuilt already because I figured it'd be easier in the longrun, as I don't know even if you could do a "rollforward" if it would undo my actions I had done in the meantime.

Thanks for looking into it though :)

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Would there be a possibility of getting the digilines recipes fixed.
I've build the clock, but can't make the required rtc or digilines to get it working :)
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You'll have to talk to Jeija about that. I don't generally mess with recipes in someone else's mod if that person is still active.

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I keep getting these errors every time I log in. I've turned off chat and hud at start up. I've also deleted my cache. None of these things have helped. Each time minetest crashes.

After this error I can still play for a minute but it eventually crashes:
ERROR[MeshUpdateThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: std::bad_alloc

Also when I open any inventory the window turns grey and this error occurs:
ERROR[main]: Some exception: "std::bad_alloc"

I also got this error in case it's retaled to the first error:
ERROR[main]: Client::getMesh(): Mesh not found: "jeija_hydro_turbine.obj"

Any ideas??

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The std::bad_alloc messages usually indicate that you don't have enough memory, but could you also try another build of Minetest?

The second thing though.... It's not related to your crash, but why in the world is it searching for "jeija_hydro_turbine.obj" ?? I don't recall pushing the meshes branch of mesecons to my servers?

*checks dreambuilder commit log* .... crap, it snuck in with a plantlife update. Ok, as far as THAT is concerned, wait for tonight's restart and that particular error will go away.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I've checked the github page for the client and there seems to be multiple errors with ram usage this might be the problem. I'll wait till they fix these issues. I have 4gb of ram and have never had minetest max out my ram but I'll definitely check while i'm logged in. It only happens on this specific server. Your other servers are playable.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Also make sure you're not using a high-resolution texture pack, and turn off "preload item visuals" in your "Settings" tab of the main menu. Having either of these in place will drive your RAM usage up as well. 4 GB is normally enough for this particular server as long as you're using, say, 64px textures or lower.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I'm not using any texture pack. I'll try disabling "preload_item_visuals" since it's a survival server. For some reason on my computer if I'm in creative mode and "preload_item_visuals" is turned off the game crashes when I open any inventory. I brought attention to this but nobody could reproduce the bug so I shrugged it off as being my laptop's fault. RAM was definitely the problem. I logged in and watched my task manager. Every second my free ram dropped by two megabytes seconds until it hit 12 and then the error occurred. I'll keep you posted after some testing. Thank you for the speedy reply :).

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Well after turning off "preload_item_visuals" I was able to open inventories without the game crashing but my free memory was still declining fast. It was bound to crash eventually at the rate it was dropping. Now I'm pretty sure it's because of one of these issues: #1880 or #1858 or #1846 lol.

All these seem to relate to memory use. I should test another server and see if free memory declines there too. I'm also going to disable "preload_item_visuals" offline and see if I still get the error I was having before because load time is practically cut in half.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I just tried logging into your vanilla server with "preload_item_visuals" disabled and as soon as it loaded completely it crashed. So the only reason it worked on this server is because I had nothing in my inventory. I wish this setting worked for me :(.

With it enabled the game works fine but load time is significantly longer. I read one other person was having this problem but nobody could recreate the crash. Very odd. Here is someone else with the same problem: Here and the topic I opened: Here. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Quax

by Quax » Post

Hello,

Could I get interact on Survival server?
Ingame name: Quax

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Interact granted.