Page 1 of 1

[0.4.8 GIT] Megaf Till It Ends

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 18:22
by Megaf
Update 24 Dec 2013
Server is Up and Running again.

Update 24 Dec 2013
Server is down for database maintenance, (Defragmentation and optimization).
Server update to today's git

Update 18 Dec 2013
Server is back!
Active mods are:
animated_furnace, boats, coloredblocks, currency, doors, farming, flowers, jail, mines, moreblocks, moretrees, pipeworks, sethome, unifieddyes, wool, areas, carts, coloredwood, default, dye, farming_plus, homedecor, mesecons, mobs, moreores, mushroom, plantlife, stairs, unified_inventory and WorldEdit.
Default Privs:
Fly, Shout, Fast, Home and Interact


Update 18 Dec 2013
Due to requests to reactivate my server and a good talk at #Minetest I'm reactivating my server soon.


Update 17 Dec 2013
Removed

Update 16 Dec 2013 - 2
Well, due to this bug I'm using the previous version of minetestserver, from 12 Dec 2013 and added the unified_inventory to it.

Update 16 Dec 2013
Updated to the to today's latest master branch (devel)
Added unified_inventory
This weird thing is happening now.

Update 13 Dec 2013
Hi there.
A lot of people and myself are having some troubles getting to my server with the megaf.co.vu domain.
So, now you can use minetest.megaf.info to get to my servers.
Megaf Till It Ends - minetest.megaf.info port 30003

You can also reach our website via http://minetest.megaf.info/

I will keep the megaf.co.vu working for now.

Update 11 Dec 2013
I'm testing the ShadowNinja's areas mod for land protection.
I will replace node_ownership to areas.
Server currently down to maintenance.
EDIT-
Server is up and running, found the solution at the areas mod forum topic.
-EDIT

Update 11 Nov 2013
Hi folks,
Just to let you know, I moved my server to UK, now it has 10 mbps of upload and it runs on 8 core Xeon CPU.

First, I would like to thank VanessaE and many of you for your great mods and textures, I mean, homedecor, plantlife, moretrees and mesecons are really brilliant!
Second, about the server.

Megaf Till It Ends it´s the fifth server of a series fo servers I made, this is by far the most complete and stable. Not too fast, I think I put too many mods.

I am the only admin, but there are some really nice folks "working" as "police officers", so they can send misbehaving folks to the jail.
This server is running from the Master branch, there are some really simple modifications that I made, grass will drop cottons seeds alongside wheet seeds, and it will drop more often.

Our server address is megaf.co.vu on port 30003

The server is running on Debian Sid x86_64, it has 8 GB of RAM and its a quad core at 3,2 GHz AMD Phenom II x4. As powerful as a ton of Raspberries Pi :P

Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 08:18
by ZingerWing
Hello Megaf, this is ZingerWing I went on your server a few times before and it is awesome!!! Try to guess which player I am on your server.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 15:41
by Megaf
Thanks ZingerWing =) Phi told me who you are :P
Thanks for playing with us!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 17:52
by ZingerWing
pleasure Megaf and keep the awesomeness on your servers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 13:07
by Megaf
Thanks ZingerWing.
Folks, new address, new server location.
now it's megaf.co.vu port 30003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 23:15
by gianluca.bianchi.88
hy guy... server down? i was plaing :p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 15:35
by Megaf
server is up again, it was down for a couple of minutes only :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49
by Megaf
Server is down for maintenance.
I'm trying to figure out a way to use the current node_ownership database with areas mod, or export it or something.
Anyone have any idea about it?

The biggest problem is, seems like these two mods can't coexist, when I enable the areas mod, the node_ownership protections would not work.
Help?

EDIT-
Server is up and running, found the solution at the areas mod forum topic.
-EDIT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 00:44
by Rick2
Can you guys add a crafting guide? If so this will become my regular server :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 15:59
by BrunoMine
Eu não consegui fazer nada la no server! Não entendi muito bem!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35
by Megaf
Rick2 wrote:Can you guys add a crafting guide? If so this will become my regular server :)


Our server will have a crafting guide indeed. As soon as I can find a really good one.
Any suggestion?




brunob.santos wrote:Eu não consegui fazer nada la no server! Não entendi muito bem!


Olá Bruno. Toda área em volta do spawn está protegida, tem que mais do que 100 metros de distância do Spawn em qualquer direção. Ou pedir para poder contruir dentro desta área.

Bruno said he couldn't do anything on Megaf Till It Ends server and that he did not understand it well enough.
So I replied saying the area around the spawn, 100 meters in every direction, is protected, however, if he really wants to build nearby, he can ask for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 15:33
by CraigyDavi
Megaf wrote:
Our server will have a crafting guide indeed. As soon as I can find a really good one.
Any suggestion?

Unified Inventory is very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 19:02
by Megaf
Thanks! It looks good!

Do you use it at you server?
Does it crashes often? I'm asking that because I want a really stable thing. I mean, I do not want to see thing like "...nil value..."



CraigyDavi wrote:
Megaf wrote:
Our server will have a crafting guide indeed. As soon as I can find a really good one.
Any suggestion?

Unified Inventory is very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 19:28
by Krock
Megaf wrote:Thanks! It looks good!

Do you use it at you server?
Does it crashes often? I'm asking that because I want a really stable thing. I mean, I do not want to see thing like "...nil value..."

1st you can fix "nil value fails" self when you understand some lua.
2nd alot popular servers use this mod already because it does what it should....being a crafting guide!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:41
by Megaf
Krock wrote:1st you can fix "nil value fails" self when you understand some lua.

Well, not my case as I don't understand some lua.
Krock wrote:2nd alot popular servers use this mod already because it does what it should....being a crafting guide!

Yep, just added it, let's see how well will people like it. I hope people will really like it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 23:14
by Megaf
Due to the enormous amount of bugs this software have I'm shunting down my server.

The total lack of quality control and a truly stable release is totally frustrating.
I'm tired of reporting bug, working around things and getting new code everyday.


I have a real life to take care already, with a job, university, family and other things. I just want a software/game that works and minetest DOES NOT WORKS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 23:40
by Sokomine
There's only so much that can be done with people who are not beeing paid. They can only work on the game when they have time and are sufficiently motivated.

Lack of stability...I wouldn't put it that way. Just take Redcrabs server - where the only proof that the server owner may still exist is that the bill is somehow beeing paid for - and where people can and do built. Yes, there are issues, but for a server that runs so long, it works fine. Of course there are other servers which are more up to date, with a wider selection of mods, which require a lot more maintenance.

Perhaps if you're unsatisfied with a version of MT, you just ought to pick one and stick with it for some time. There will be problems over time, but people willing to build will most likely be happy anyway. You can reduce the stress significantly if you don't aim for perfection.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 07:41
by CraigyDavi
Agree with Sokomine. It is made by people who can only work on it when they have the time and that means the unfortunatly we have to try and fix a few things when everything goes wrong.

For example if the server crashes it does not automatically get up again; you have to make your own server restartoncrash script and try yourself.

Maybe you could consider freeminer.org? In my opinion it is being developed at a faster pace as minetest and apparently no lags of servers.

I'm sure its sad to see it go. Maybe someone else could host the server maybe?

Megaf wrote:Thanks! It looks good!

Do you use it at you server?
Does it crashes often? I'm asking that because I want a really stable thing. I mean, I do not want to see thing like "...nil value..."


Yep use it at my server. I hardly ever get a nill value.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01
by Megaf
Sokomine wrote:There's only so much that can be done with people who are not beeing paid. They can only work on the game when they have time and are sufficiently motivated.

Lack of stability...I wouldn't put it that way. Just take Redcrabs server - where the only proof that the server owner may still exist is that the bill is somehow beeing paid for - and where people can and do built. Yes, there are issues, but for a server that runs so long, it works fine. Of course there are other servers which are more up to date, with a wider selection of mods, which require a lot more maintenance.

Perhaps if you're unsatisfied with a version of MT, you just ought to pick one and stick with it for some time. There will be problems over time, but people willing to build will most likely be happy anyway. You can reduce the stress significantly if you don't aim for perfection.


Hi Sokomine. I understand all that, I really do. I have my own free time projects too. I had a minetest server that had 28 days of uptime and running on a Raspberry Py (700 MHz ARM CPU, 256 MB of RAM). It crashed only because I dropped my Pi on the floor a couple of times...
Now I'm working together with people of minetest to provide the best server I can.

CraigyDavi wrote:Agree with Sokomine. It is made by people who can only work on it when they have the time and that means the unfortunatly we have to try and fix a few things when everything goes wrong.

For example if the server crashes it does not automatically get up again; you have to make your own server restartoncrash script and try yourself.

Maybe you could consider freeminer.org? In my opinion it is being developed at a faster pace as minetest and apparently no lags of servers.

I'm sure its sad to see it go. Maybe someone else could host the server maybe?

Megaf wrote:Thanks! It looks good!

Do you use it at you server?
Does it crashes often? I'm asking that because I want a really stable thing. I mean, I do not want to see thing like "...nil value..."


Yep use it at my server. I hardly ever get a nill value.
Sokomine wrote:There's only so much that can be done with people who are not beeing paid. They can only work on the game when they have time and are sufficiently motivated.

Lack of stability...I wouldn't put it that way. Just take Redcrabs server - where the only proof that the server owner may still exist is that the bill is somehow beeing paid for - and where people can and do built. Yes, there are issues, but for a server that runs so long, it works fine. Of course there are other servers which are more up to date, with a wider selection of mods, which require a lot more maintenance.

Perhaps if you're unsatisfied with a version of MT, you just ought to pick one and stick with it for some time. There will be problems over time, but people willing to build will most likely be happy anyway. You can reduce the stress significantly if you don't aim for perfection.



I'm not going to use Freeminer. Freeminer is already prollers shout to minetest, he really want's minetest to be better.
Anyway, With a little help of minetest developers and modders I'm reactivating my server soon.

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 16:56
by Sokomine
Megaf wrote:I had a minetest server that had 28 days of uptime and running on a Raspberry Py (700 MHz ARM CPU, 256 MB of RAM). It crashed only because I dropped my Pi on the floor a couple of times...

How well did the Pi manage to run MT? Most of it ought to work quite well - except perhaps mapgen. Using a simple, flat mapgen (or a pre-generated map) plus creative mode might make it very easy for the server. There's still the problem with network traffic in general.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 14:12
by Megaf
Sokomine wrote:How well did the Pi manage to run MT?

Actually it did pretty well. I limited the max players to 6 and with 6 players online we had no lag and it ran pretty well. Some small delays sometimes but nothing really serious. Nobody ever complained about lag there.
PS. I was running minimal only.
Sokomine wrote:Most of it ought to work quite well - except perhaps mapgen. Using a simple, flat mapgen (or a pre-generated map) plus creative mode might make it very easy for the server. There's still the problem with network traffic in general.

It was the normal mode not creative and it created the world by itself, no big deal with mapgen at all. Normal map, not flat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 15:47
by flake
Megaf,

you're server has been gone for a while.

Are you coming back online? Hope so, was a fun server to visit. If not, thanx for your time and effort.

regards,

Flake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 13:02
by Megaf
flake wrote:Megaf,

you're server has been gone for a while.

Are you coming back online? Hope so, was a fun server to visit. If not, thanx for your time and effort.

regards,

Flake


Hi Flake, sorry, Till It Ends is not coming back. I turned it off due to way too frequent crashes due to mods bugs and minetest server bugs itself and a couple of days a go I knew that the software I used to back it up did not save the worlds folder, so I lost everything.

Now I have another server, with a new map. The mods that are enabled I know they are ok and wont crash the server as often, 4 days now and still not a single crash.