IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Server] VanessaE's Basic-plus Minetest Server [5.1.0-dev]

by VanessaE » Post

This server has been discontinued.

VanessaE's Basic-Plus Minetest server

daconcepts.com, port 30005

IRC: Libera network, channel #ve-minetest-servers

Admins: VanessaE, ShadowNinja, kaeza, cheapie, bulldog1 (and others as needed)

Server Status:

For detailed statistics regarding the performance of the server hardware, see http://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/m ... stats.html

About

This server runs Minetest from the official Github repository, and requires version 5.0.1 or newer.

This server has several mods - but not TOO many. Pretty much good-for-building mods, plus some stuff that's for admin purposes and a couple of things that help to safeguard the server, plus a couple of things to make the game a little more interesting (see below). :-)

This server was formerly known as "VanessaE's Mostly-Vanilla".

The total size of this server's media and assets is about 13 MB, so expect a minute or two to download it all, unless you already have most of it from elsewhere.

Default privileges: fast, shout, home, zoom

This server runs in survival mode. Damage is enabled (so mobs, lava, etc. can kill), but PvP, fire, TNT and bones are disabled. Griefing absolutely will not be tolerated, and will result in rollback and ban if confirmed. This server runs the newplayer-rules mod, so to get interact, read the rules and plug the keyword contained therein into the space provided for it in the form.

If you need to use buckets for any reason, contact an admin/moderator and request the "spill" privilege.

This server has an extra mod which disallows entirely-numeric and "Guest1234" types of names. Please choose a proper username when you sign on.

This server shuts down briefly for backups at 5:00 am US Eastern time (11:00 am CET).

Software Version

This server runs a Minetest build taken from git sources. To build properly here, you will need a Minetest client build newer than 2017-01-23. Older client versions will probably work, but will display some items incorrectly.

This server runs Minetest and minetest_game from the official Github repositories, running under Debian.

Building on this server:

You can build anything you want, anywhere you want, with the following guidelines: Near the spawn, please stick to serious, high-class structures only please. Pixel art and generally-artsy stuff should be kept away from the spawn.

If someone else has built in an area you wanted to use, do not build into or immediately above those structures, period! Even if the building looks vacant, don't touch it - there are no "abandoned" buildings here. Griefing any part of any structure is strictly forbidden.

Please keep your structures near a main road, but do not build right on the end of the road (e.g. if extending the road would go through your structure); if this isn't practical, or there is no road yet, please build one, or build a spur off an existing road somewhere and then build alongside that. Try to keep your roads straight and try make them run out past your structure so others can build further. Sky structures are welcome, but please build them up high enough so as not to obscure or cast shadows on anything below.

And please - REPLANT YOUR TREES! (Preferably with the same type as that which you cut down).

Land ownership:

See the forum topic for ShadowNinja's Advanced Area Protection Mod for instructions. The short version: to mark the area you want to claim, dig a few meters down in one corner of the area, and do /area_pos1. Then go to the opposite corner, fly up above the area, and do /area_pos2. Then do /protect <some description here> to actually claim the area.

If the area is too big, request areas_high_limit privilege from one of the admins, or just have them protect the area for you.

Also, there are protection blocks you can craft and place, which protect a fixed radius around the block. Placing the block automatically protects the area, and digging it removes the protection. Shift-digging will leave the protection in place, but will only give you back a few steel ingots, so there is a "cost" involved (this is to prevent people from just reusing one block to protect many areas).

Language

This server is primarily English-speaking.

Of course there are limited exceptions, for players who just can't speak English at all.

Freedom of speech is paramount here, but I do have some rules about it: 1. Don't harass anyone. 2. Hate speech, harrassment, etc. are absolutely not tolerated. 3. Leave your religion in your house of worship - this applies equally to in-game names as to your speech. 4. This server is not the ghetto, so take the rap-video trash-talk somewhere else.

Mods
There are a number of useful mods on this server, but not too many:
  • player_textures
  • item_tweaks (just for the auto-pick-up and dropped-item-expire functions)
  • gloopblocks
  • apartment
  • currency/shops
  • some of homedecor modpack's components:
    - homedecor base mod
    - building_blocks
    - lrfurn
    - signs_lib
    - inbox
  • food/food-sweet/food modern mods
  • moreblocks
  • markers
  • travelnet
  • ilights
  • bedrock (Calinou's version)
  • caverealms
  • unified_inventory running in "lite" mode
  • and various admin-related mods such as IRC/IRC-commands, areas, worldedit, maptools, xban2, and so on.
  • The bones mod has been removed, with extreme prejudice.
This server runs cheapie's player_textures mod, so if you have a specific Minetest or Minecraft skin, point me to it via this forum topic or catch me on IRC, and I will install it. Such changes will affect both this server and my Survival server. If it's a Minecraft 1.8 skin (e.g. 64x64 pixels), it will be cropped to 1.0 format, so please choose skins that won't lose too much detail.

Screenshot, plus the trailer video by UjE

Click on the screenshot to get the video, or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77z5pp7iss
South of the "East City" area on 2014-02-03, as displayed with HDX

Interactive Map of the Server (click image to open viewer):

This overview is located at: http://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/m ... d/map.html

Generated using est31's Leaf map generator and Rogier-5's fork of minetest's mapper.
Last edited by VanessaE on Fri Apr 18, 2014 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thanks for installing my markers mod :-) I hope many players use Option D and give feedback if they encounter any problems.
A list of my mods can be found here.

xen

by xen » Post

It's 5:07am UTC and I just ran nmap on digitalaudioconcepts.com:30005 to find it closed - I nmapped as I'm not connecting to the server. I'm very new to minetest but would love to check out somebody else's world :) Clearly I'd prefer the user name xen :)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's up-and-down for testing this morning actually. It will return soon.

EDIT: It's up now. I was having problems due to a bug in the engine code, which has now been fixed.
Last edited by VanessaE on Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Oh, a new VE Server :D What's special about this one?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's special in that it goes back to the basics. :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sure if you build it in a legitimate manner.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: added gloopblocks because the default lavacooling sucks ass. :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

And I removed said hill because, frankly, it looked like ass and it really messed up the landscape. Using lavacooling to build hills is not "legitimate".

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

:-( and I was collecting earth and sapplings to beautify said hill, might have been a too big a task though.

Maybe you could build a Mt.Meru somewhere? (or two?) That would be a one time lagging mod. A small one maybe? like only several hundred nodes high?

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

youre "building method" did cause severe lag though, HybridDog.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

As these servers have picked up, I've found myself having to adjust my backup schedule to avoid knocking too many people off for the backup to occur. I've pushed the time back a few hours so that the backup cycle will now occur at 1:00 pm UTC (8:00 am EST).

xaivanov

by xaivanov » Post

I love this server

aracnus
GitHub: aracnus
IRC: aracnus
In-game: aracnus

by aracnus » Post

Vanessa, I know your intentio is to maintain it "pretty close vanilla", but it's possible to add only Sokomine node replacement tool? It's a great tool to make and maintain builds... Please? :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Nope, not gonna add any other mods to the server at this point.

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Some 30plus clients on the server, as seen from the public mine:

and

Last edited by twoelk on Sun Jan 26, 2014 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sorry, can't be helped, because someone wasn't thinking at all when they set the param2 value range for the "wallmounted" method in the signlike draw type, versus the "regular" facedir mode used by everything else.

The 3d signs are needed because many people apparently can't be bothered to point at a sign to read it (or their clients can't see the infotext, I dunno).

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

Hi,

I would like my avatar changed to this: http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/#!pa ... hainLynxOo

Thank you!
Last edited by oOChainLynxOo on Tue Jan 28, 2014 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Have a good day or good night or whatever time you're reading this.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Skin installed.

Ferdi Napoli

by Ferdi Napoli » Post

Sorry Vanessa,but i have a problem with my minetest,i have a problem with the servers.
Can you help me?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What sort of problem?

Ferdi Napoli

by Ferdi Napoli » Post

i can't acces with my account

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

What is your server username? NOT YOUR PASSWORD. Do not put that here.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Skin installed for Mcc457.