Page 2 of 7

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 17:19
by Amaz
May I have interact please? I've read all of the rules... My in game name is the same as this one, including capital A...

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 18:34
by Ferdi Napoli
Mcc457 wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2271/i ... 2bf1fg.jpg

Could I have that skin?
Really cool,look this skin
This is my skin

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 18:35
by Ferdi Napoli

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 21:44
by Mcc457
Ferdi Napoli wrote:
Mcc457 wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2271/i ... 2bf1fg.jpg

Could I have that skin?
Really cool,look this skin
This is my skin
Its custom, made it myself. Its me, how I look IRL.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 22:47
by VanessaE
Interact granted for Amaz.

Ferdi Napoli, I need your in-game name, and the link you gave is broken.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:58
by PenguinDad
Could you please install the Sam II skin for me? My ingame name is the same as in the forums.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:42
by VanessaE
Actually, Sam II is reserved for later use, since it might eventually become the default game skin some time (and in fact, IS the default skin that I use on the 30000/30001 servers). Mind picking a different one?

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:59
by VanessaE
Sam II already uses the hat layer for hair.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 20:33
by PenguinDad

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 02:58
by Geopbyte
I won't be on for about a week or two; life stuff :( Sorry...

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 07:14
by VanessaE
Small update: backup schedule adjusted again to try to better coincide with the server's quietest times. It will now occur at 10:00 am UTC (5:00 am EST).

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 00:44
by Adarqet
Could I have this skin? http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/#!pa ... er:Adarqet
IGN: Adarqet
Thank you.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:05
by xyz32
Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:02
by cheapie
xyz32 wrote:Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

Roads are built by the community. I know VanessaE and I try to make the roads look at least sort of nice, some others don't and there's not much that we can do about that.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 13:23
by twoelk
Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 23:42
by xyz32
twoelk wrote:Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).
Thank you for the reply.
I agree with you on the usefulness of the roads, it is just the north going road that just floats in mid air and does not really go anywhere that I mind. It looks so artificial.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 01:23
by VanessaE
That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:07
by xyz32
VanessaE wrote:That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.
Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 17:01
by VanessaE
Well it's since been finished and I think it looks just fine the way it is now. Besides, the lake's so big, you can't see one shore from the other, or the bridge from either the east or west shores, and *anything* a person builds could be defined as "artificial", so :P

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 17:27
by Daven
For all the Parkour lovers. The Parkour Park is OPEN. You don't have to pay it's all free. When I get in the gam today. I, myself will officially announce and open it. I will be on maybe in like a hour or two. Who would be the first one to try it out? It could be you. Make sure you come on.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 19:54
by Sokomine
xyz32 wrote: Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.
Go to VanessaEs survival server. We are more concerned about preserving the landscape there, and mods like moretrees and undergrowth etc. add to a beautiful landscape. Though even there, roads are mainly means to get from a to b and to build alongside. And not all...griefings...of nature can be prevented.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 21:59
by hassage
Can I have interact please? I have read the rules. Sorry if i make mistakes. English is not my maternal language.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:13
by Bearbar123
Can i have this skin on the server, play name is the same as here:

http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3627 ... t-element/

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:29
by VanessaE
Interact granted for hassage and skin installed for Bearbar123.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 21:21
by stormchaser3000

Code: Select all

<VE-Minetest> <stormchaser3000> i am at 65, -6737, -214748 or was i am now lower and i am so far out the mapgen is not generating
yeah it happened HOW ON EARTH THOUGH I JUST PLACED DEFAULT:DESERT_SAND and i teleported off the map