[Server] Xanadu

miner65536

Re: Xanadu Server

by miner65536 » Post

Is it possible to increase the maximum range the server sends mapblocks or would this likely slow things down a bit too much?

Cheers,
Robb

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Exactly, we keep the send range to 1 to keep the server running smoothly although when things have been tweaked enough it may increase...

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

Found nyan cat :D 1 nyan cat and 9 rainbow blocks....
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (851.41 KiB) Viewed 619 times
For fast response... send me a PM

Johnny Joy
GitHub: johnnyjoy
In-game: jjb

by Johnny Joy » Post

Are fireplace bricks concidered famible? I noticed that the dungeon master's attach will set famible objects on fire rather than do damage and I was hoping to protect parts of my mine using the fireplace block, since it would be set on fire rather than damaged.

Thanks.

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

I'm making an underground base what about you guys anything else?

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Johnny Joy wrote:Are fireplace bricks concidered famible? I noticed that the dungeon master's attach will set famible objects on fire rather than do damage and I was hoping to protect parts of my mine using the fireplace block, since it would be set on fire rather than damaged.

Thanks.
Dungeon Masters fire 'fireballs' at an intended target to pulverize it. These 'fireballs' will pulverize almost any block that they come into contact with, flammable blocks included. The blocks around them are the blocks that will momentarily catch fire, not the block/node that the actual 'fireball' hit. Hence there is no point in protecting your mine/base with a flammable block as it will be pulverized as soon as it comes in contact with a fireball- If it does so.

There are some blocks that cannot be pulverized by Dungeon Master assaults: Obsidian, Cloud and others of that likeliness....

You could also protect your mine/base by covering it with water, I do not believe Dungeon Master assaults can get through it...
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

Achilles wrote:
You could also protect your mine/base by covering it with water, I do not believe Dungeon Master assaults can get through it...
Actually I had some attack on my underground base recently, Dungeon Master's assault CAN go through it and destroy other blocks or simply destroy the water source.... I wouldn't recommend covering your house with water, it would cause a lot of lag if your system cannot handle it well...

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Isn't LIGHT the best defense against Dungeon Master's? Light everything up, and they won't spawn.
Of course, that won't help if you WANTED the outside to be dark...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Went exploring and ran into this very interesting area. It's not to far from spawn, but I think these structures are all natural:

I also found a road that Neon made. I STILL haven't found the end of it, but there are quite a few interesting things along the way. This is one of them:

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Kilarin wrote:Isn't LIGHT the best defense against Dungeon Master's? Light everything up, and they won't spawn.
Of course, that won't help if you WANTED the outside to be dark...
Light is a useful defense against Dungeon Masters however if you had a base underground a Dungeon Master could spawn in any cave just out of the light sources reach and would still be able to fire at you. Depending on how big your base/mine is I would suggest using water/lava nodes as protection as it is the quickest, cheapest and most efficient method of protecting your base...
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

Neon
In-game: Neon

by Neon » Post

I also found a road that Neon made
You see why I made that a sightseeing attraction. [grins]

You are near the end of the road. It goes to my mountain chateau and stops. One of these days I will extend it further. Who knows what else is out there?

Johnny Joy
GitHub: johnnyjoy
In-game: jjb

by Johnny Joy » Post

Neon wrote:I also found a road that Neon made
You see why I made that a sightseeing attraction. [grins]

You are near the end of the road. It goes to my mountain chateau and stops. One of these days I will extend it further. Who knows what else is out there?
I went to the end of the road and beyond. I also found your healing tree. It gave me a good idea where to find others, and I did not long after on a mountain not to far away.

Neon

by Neon » Post

Did you take down the tree? It's polite to replant those trees because they are rare.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Agreed, anyone removing tree's should replant a sapling for other players to find when it grows...

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

+1 to replant trees, in this server it rook to me a entire exploration day(in real life) to get a sapling.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Neon wrote:You are near the end of the road. It goes to my mountain chateau and stops. One of these days I will extend it further. Who knows what else is out there?
Found that chateau, The view was a very nice reward for the long walk! :

I want to thank you for all of the work you put into that road. I don't know how you can build something like that without the help of something like bridgetool. That's a lot of dedication!

Also, I should mention here that I had been using Neato's path since I first got on the server, and I really appreciate the work put into that as well!

I was out looking for the new acacia trees and ran into this rather interesting geographic feature:
TenPlus1 wrote:anyone removing tree's should replant a sapling for other players to find when it grows...
It seems that common courtesy isn't all that common. :) I created a communal garden, as a sort of experiment, and there have been many kind people who are careful to replant, and even help me maintain it on a regular basis. But it's also amazing how many people are perfectly happy to harvest without bothering to take the time to replant anything. Which seems especially bizarre because replanting helps THEM as well.

But even stranger than that is the people who attempt to sabotage. They place dirt blocks instead of plants. Once someone even tried to block a portion of the garden with torches. They were willing to waste their own torches just to try and bother someone else? Luckily these kind of griefers are pretty rare.

Neon

by Neon » Post

Neon's Road is thus because it was a personal project; I built it from 9,000 to about 2,200. IceAgeComing did most of the reaching out from spawn to meet me (his cobble/sandstone road, vice his mushroom road. take the yellow hop from spawn).

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

@TenPlus1, it's there any posibility to enable fast priv? Maybe only to old players in the server like me?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Kilarin wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:anyone removing tree's should replant a sapling for other players to find when it grows...
It seems that common courtesy isn't all that common. :) I created a communal garden, as a sort of experiment, and there have been many kind people who are careful to replant, and even help me maintain it on a regular basis. But it's also amazing how many people are perfectly happy to harvest without bothering to take the time to replant anything. Which seems especially bizarre because replanting helps THEM as well.

But even stranger than that is the people who attempt to sabotage. They place dirt blocks instead of plants. Once someone even tried to block a portion of the garden with torches. They were willing to waste their own torches just to try and bother someone else? Luckily these kind of griefers are pretty rare.
Actually a lot of this sort of thinking about using resources in a sensible way and caring for the regrowing is not something people are born with. Sad but true as a look at any related problem in real life will show. These things have to be learned. Some notice it by themselves when coming of age most will have to be told and yet others may never learn. As a rule of the thumb though never expect common sense to be something common.

Are you sure those dirt blocks were not pillar-jumping to reach for higher blocks? Maybe those torches where the rest part of an attempt to get trees to grow at night. Another thing is a lot of especially younger players do indeed asume the server itself or some admin is responsible for maintaining public gardens and not everyone may want to read the signs that ask the player to replant trees.

I remember a time on InchraNet when some pretty young players got the issue of replanting explained to them and then went arount telling everone they met of this great concept they had just learned about.

It is sometimes fun to just listen to the some server chatter
and
it is at times painfully revealing at how mankind indeed functions.

noob

by noob » Post

Recently I have seen a bug with the new textures of the blocks, specifically with the "Glass" block.
The blocks allow you to see through what is next to them.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Dragonop wrote:TenPlus1, it's there any posibility to enable fast priv? Maybe only to old players in the server like me?
Why? When you can just make diamond or crystal boots?
twoelk wrote:Are you sure those dirt blocks were not pillar-jumping to reach for higher blocks? Maybe those torches where the rest part of an attempt to get trees to grow at night.
Never attribute to malice what can be explained by human stupidity. :) Good point. And while I suppose the dirt blocks could have been pillars, the torches weren't placed close to most of the plants, but where you had to pass through them to get to the "secret tunnel", and ONLY on those squares. I think that was deliberate.

BUT, last night I ran into a new bit of info that might explain why a lot of people won't replant. A player on a tablet was trying to milk a cow, and he couldn't find any way to do a "right click" on his tablet. I would think that the game would be virtually unplayable if you can't find the right click functionality, but if right click is non existent, or at least difficult to find, on the unauthorized tablet and phone implementations, that would explain a lot of people who won't replant.

And to further back up your theory of ignorance over malice, I have at least twice seen someone damage a tunnel or pathway that others used, and when I queried them about it, it was quite obvious they hadn't even considered that because they had dug through there other people would have a hard time getting across. It wasn't malice, just a lack of foresight. I should assume ignorance, not malice. :)

Neon

by Neon » Post

A pre-dawn look at the yellow road out from spawn towards Joshalopagus's castle. In the foreground is the ladder to the space station.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1, can you explain this bizarre map generation?

a flower and dry shrub in a cave at -16000 nodes. Incredibly cool, but I'm at a complete loss to explain how they got there.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Lol, maybe someone got there before you and placed them... Dry shrubs and the flower will only spawn above 0...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Lol, maybe someone got there before you and placed them
Not impossible, but there wasn't a single torch in the cave when I arrived, Or any other passages into it.
I'm going to chalk this one up to minetest gremlins. :)