In-game: King_Grim

Re: Xanadu Server

by King_Grim » Post

crashes suck

Phiwari123
In-game: Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

It feels like the crashes become worse and worse with every new minute... At the moment the server is unplayable, because of all the crashes you can't really build anything. I really hope, that this problem will be solved soon.

Neon
In-game: Neon

by Neon » Post

The problem isn't the server, per se. I'm told that it's the MT version being run by the server. The solution would either be for Ten to downgrade the server version to something much more stable (he would probably downgrade to 0.4.10, though I might go as far as 0.4.8) OR for the MT devs to focus on stability over features in their next release.

Personally, I'd prefer for 0.4.14 to be a stability release.

jerrythecairn
In-game: jerrythecairn

by jerrythecairn » Post

mystik wrote:I recently discovered that PvP was turned on on Xanadu, with protection from PvP only available on spawn and on areas that you yourself have placed protection blocks, and wanted to offer my humble opinion on the matter.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here. I would also like to add that one of the attractions for me of the Xanadu server was the lack of PvP. There was enough to cope with early on as far as the monsters go.

Once you enable PvP, even in the limited form of outside protected areas, you change the whole nature of the server. When I started I was impressed by the creativity people display as well as the way people worked together and for the benefit of other players (e.g. Iska's public mine). Once PvP is introduced the game becomes yet another shoot-em-up. Everyone seems to think that PvP just means fighting with swords but there are other ways that one can fight. I could create water sources above a player's home and submerge it. Of course, this can be countered but it would take time and effort. Similarly, volcanic areas can be opened up.

For now, I am operating in a way that minimises my susceptibilty to PvP (working in protected areas, staying away from other players as much as possible). The game is less pleasurable but for now that is how it has to be.

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

Great Happiness -.- Had to rewrite this whole post because my computer decided to crash right when i was about to send the message.
Neon wrote:The problem isn't the server, per se. I'm told that it's the MT version being run by the server. The solution would either be for Ten to downgrade the server version to something much more stable (he would probably downgrade to 0.4.10, though I might go as far as 0.4.8) OR for the MT devs to focus on stability over features in their next release.
I personally would not like a downgrade that much. It could be another trigger for new problems, because several mods would probably have to be downgraded too and that wouldn't be a perfect solution in my eyes.
Neon wrote:Personally, I'd prefer for 0.4.14 to be a stability release.
I agree to 100% concerning that point.

Maybe the quote in my signature can cheer us up ^_^

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

botch
IRC: Botch
In-game: botch

by botch » Post

I have a question, I have a picture here and there of some Minetest areas, my house, situations, etc...how do I post them here? something like a jpeg image?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

upload your image to tinypic.com or imgurl.com and when posting in forum link the [img] address they give you to paste image with text...

botch

by botch » Post

will do. Thank you!

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

Exploring glaciers....

Kelena
In-game: Kelena

by Kelena » Post

Love and nodes, Kel~ | | Playing only at Xanadu.

gmaxwell
IRC: gmaxwell
In-game: gmaxwell

by gmaxwell » Post

[Edit: Removed a whine about PVP here; when I found out that the person who was giving me trouble turned out to be surprisingly friendly. :)]

botch

by botch » Post

James34 and Mewth SHEEEEEEEEP!

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i remember that obsidian wall.
it looks like the the "sad wall" in the Burning Lands.
somewhere near it is the entrance to the Cursed Mountains, where many people lost their home.
now it is home to sheep and cows.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

botch

by botch » Post

Your absolutely right. There were quite a few people that were upset when the burning lands area went kaput. But, such is the world of computers, Minetest included.

Wepawetmose
In-game: Wepawetmose

by Wepawetmose » Post

I must say that I am happy with the PvP upgrade. Now if you forget to protect something and some person decides to destroy it or mine it (like a garden), you can get rid of them by killing them. There wasn't really a way to get rid of
griefers before this. Also, I'm glad that if you are in any protected area you are safe (unless the person who owns the protection decides to kill you). That makes cities even more of a safe place and the owners of cities can keep the peace.

Wepawetmose
In-game: Wepawetmose

by Wepawetmose » Post

By the way, I can't seem to get on to Xanadu. Whenever I try, it sits for awhile and clouds pass by then it says "Connection is timed out". I've tried to get on a few times but it won't let me. Any idea why it's doing that? Just a basic crash?

firefox

by firefox » Post

when it says "connection timed out" it means that the connection to the server is so slow that you fall out.
usually the cause of this is your internet connection.
this happens to me when i try to log in using an UMTS usb device while sitting in my garden.
the connection quality out there is so bad that the internet runs very slowly and mintest "times out".
when using DSL wlan at home this doesn't happen unless the modem crashes.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

That is what i was going to suggest: Internet connection. If you are not connected or if he connection is weak, it will say that the connection has "timed out".
-- Texan :)

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

Phiwari123 wrote:It feels like the crashes become worse and worse with every new minute... At the moment the server is unplayable, because of all the crashes you can't really build anything. I really hope, that this problem will be solved soon.
Feels like the server crashes more often when exploring ungenerated part of the world. Maybe that's a clue. I don't know...

Every time explore new part of world = crash

Not exploring = server seems to last...

Or maybe it's just a coincidence.
For fast response... send me a PM

Neon

by Neon » Post

Thanks to the help of Neri, the Xanadu Speedway is open for business.

It has an unprecedented view of Xanadu, with such features as snow, lava, mushrooms, an underwater stretch, and mountains.
The facilities are first-rate with spectator stands, repair pits, and a winners' photography area. The whole facility is beginner friendly.
Night rallies are available, with the added spice of animal attacks against the racers.

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

There aren't cars on Xanadu, are there?
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

Neon

by Neon » Post

Nope. No Cars mod, no Carts mod, no rails on the speedway for Minecarts. Just athletic people who want a chance to outpace others for goodies

firefox

by firefox » Post

missing_bush.png
missing_bush.png (32.51 KiB) Viewed 692 times
it appears that the bush texture is missing.
or maybe the file name is misspelled.

but the new bamboo is awesome =(^.^)=
i think i have to build a bamboo house for my ninja kittens.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

I love the new look of bamboo!

Xanthin
GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Post

First picture from geo satellite Nihtna-X II

Three days ago the satellite Nihtna-X II reached its orbit around Xanadu.

Equipped with the best cameras from the minetest development comunity and a new enhanced color filter,
it began to scan the surface around the central region of this planet.

Surprising details were discovered at the first produced map, showing the creativity of builders around the world,
which invites the traveler at the ground for a visit.

While all systems are tested now and the satellite is in its scheduled orbit, the engineers at the ground are waiting
for more impressions of this fascinating planet.

preview of the map, click:
full size in browser
download for zoom

How many ships can you find at the map?

Send you answer to:
Map Quiz @
Public Farm Place 2A
42 Green Path Spawn 00101010

Deadline is the 6 September 2015.
Employees of the publishing company and their family members are excluded from the participation. The decision is final.