[Server] Xanadu

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: Xanadu Server

by ABJ » Post

So, again, what IS that?

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

When I tried that trick - mapping the whole, uh, map... - on Linuxgaming server where you can download an actual copy of the db, I ran into the strange issue that this version of minetestmapper I found and used could only address 1GB of my RAM. Which it filled up pretty quickly, ofc, and then, after the tiny section it managed to squeeze in, it just bugged out. Fin.
But please do not ask me what version of the mapper that was. I have no idea any more.

Anyways, great maps!

Saddest thing though that I rarely ever got to see anything of Xanthins work on the old map. At least not much I remember :-(

CU, have fun, noob101

mystik
GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Post

I think i have one more frame beyond what you captured:

https://mt.jjayr.com/mt/mt02-xanadu_old/map#4/2155/-601

That was one of last areas I mapped out before the great reset.

Xanthin wrote:The "fun with mapper topic" reminds me that I have not yet posted the timelapse from my project on the previous map.

Time: 15-07-03 to 16-03-17
(if I remember the process of protecting and surface fixing O.o)
Coords: 2000, -600 (at mystik's hosted map)

Rayxe
In-game: Rayxe

by Rayxe » Post

I got a Welcome committee. xD
Attachments
Untitled 2.png
Untitled 2.png (247.76 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

I've not been on for quite some time, and now I'm getting the "no new players, sorry" message... :(

CuriousNoob

by CuriousNoob » Post

Glorfindel wrote:I've not been on for quite some time, and now I'm getting the "no new players, sorry" message... :(
Yep, same here when I just tried it again, ''no new players...'' :(

I'd deliberately not even attempted to log into Xanadu after this thread started showing there were problems there.

Reasoning it would be safer not to. Reasoning it would be sensible to wait until they'd fixed their issues and posted some news to that effect.

In the meantime been curiously investigating other servers, other worlds since then, but always keeping an eye on this thread for announcements of the all-clear.

I never saw any such announcements.

But I always try to remember that in software-projects (especially FOSS) even the brightest and best can be stopped in their tracks by insurmountable external factors or individual intellectual limits. And in Real Life all sorts of things can suddenly or gradually take priority.

The servers are just voluntary offerings by volunteers.

We can only speculate about what's actually happened with Xanadu.

Last time I signed in was May/June. [ '' jjj '' ]

Looks like I'll never get to materialise the novel ideas I had for my candy-stripe patch behind my bag-shop along the black path.

Still, bigger-picture, it's merely a game. C'est la vie.

Hours lost. Knowledge gained.

The blockworld community certainly has to thank TenPlus1 for his historical contributions.

Nevertheless sad, very sad. It used to be a good, engaging, well-run server.

But times change. We move on.

jjj

Phiwari123
In-game: Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

This was a bit shocking. Walking around server and finding this :)

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Phiwari123 wrote:This was a bit shocking. Walking around server and finding this :)

Wow... I had the SAME exact thing happen on my server last night. I will post a video in a few. I rolled back mobs redo versions and that solved the spawn rates.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

so I can make a map of my complete Xanadu database local copy - although a scaled one. It's some 6400*7600 pixels so be warned.
Spoiler
(you may have to open the map in a tab of it's own or download it to view it in full resolution, allthough it is 1:4)

I made a backup of the old map and then used the same database with about a months worth of exploring the old map to record the new map. I never recreated the game as used for Xanadu and thus haven't explored the map offline.

So the stuff in the top right corner and the long detached walk south of spawn in the lower part of the map belong to the old Xanadu map.

Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.
Attachments
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-08-05T14.00.29.png
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-08-05T14.00.29.png (866.6 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Phiwari123
In-game: Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

twoelk wrote:Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.
That's an interesting idea! I also played not long ago on my copy of old Xanadu, nostalgic :)

mystik
GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Post

Map ... "Blending" ? as in merging multiple maps?

That's what I've been doing with mt.jjayr.com -- I built a merging tool in perl, that appends to a master copy of the file, an keeps all 'patches' seperate. It snapshots the file on a weekly basis, so If I have to rewind, I can.

It turns out to be surprisingly simple, as long as you append files in chronological order. Everytime I run minetest, I nuke my local copy of the map, so it I only capture fresh data, then I upload it to the merge/mapping server, which triggers a map update.

JJB has a patch to MT I have to test out, but IIRC it will cause the local map save to be sent to redis, or intercept the db write somehow. Using that, I can actually stream the updates to the mapping server, and update it in a somewhat realtime fashion.

Of course, this is all just a roundabout way to get the data from the server :) If you operate the server, you can do all sorts of clever things with the map data to offer a realtime GIS of the world :)
twoelk wrote:so I can make a map of my complete Xanadu database local copy - although a scaled one. It's some 6400*7600 pixels so be warned.
Spoiler
(you may have to open the map in a tab of it's own or download it to view it in full resolution, allthough it is 1:4)

I made a backup of the old map and then used the same database with about a months worth of exploring the old map to record the new map. I never recreated the game as used for Xanadu and thus haven't explored the map offline.

So the stuff in the top right corner and the long detached walk south of spawn in the lower part of the map belong to the old Xanadu map.

Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

no I meant merging at the borders in a pleasing way so that you can merge two landscapes created in different ways such as different seeds or mapgens or costum built landscape and not have hard changes at the chunk borders such as gigantic orthographic cliffs or flat bottomed mountains hovering over other landscape of different origin.

alundra55
In-game: ultra

by alundra55 » Post

[expletive removed] i am banned
Last edited by kaeza on Sun Aug 07, 2016 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please avoid using bad language.

~Xhole
IRC: x
In-game: Xhole

by ~Xhole » Post

Whats your name? And you dont need to use language like that.
~X~

way

by way » Post

Acually, I have a similar problem. I used to frequent the server some time ago, but haven't been there since May, I think. Now I am getting the "no new players this time" message. I understand that there was some kind of a security problem, and this is a consequence. Is there something I can do to get back on the server?

Thanks,
way

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Wait what? So what is it about you being banned that you want to discuss? Your post doesn't provide much information on that topic.

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

way wrote:... I used to frequent the server some time ago ... Now I am getting the "no new players this time" message.
Sorry guys, just to inform you, it's the combined effect of closing the gates after some attacks and garbled playerfiles that had to be reset or deleted.

As for how to help you to get back in: Sorry, I have no clue. Please be patient still. That's all I can say.

Hope to meet you in-game again asap, cu noob101

Bonny

by Bonny » Post

ABJ wrote:Wait what? So what is it about you being banned that you want to discuss? Your post doesn't provide much information on that topic.
I don't think we should discuss about banned players here, this thread is supposed to be about nice and fun topics of server, not arguments. If he wants to talk why he got banned i guess he can just send Ten a pm.
When life gives you lemons, just bake some lemon cupcakes
Dream as if you"ll live forever, eat cupcakes as if you would die today

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

K
@way Starting over isn't all that much a bad experience as you think. Also, did you do much hard work there?

way

by way » Post

Yeah, I don't mind starting over. But I would like to do that on _this_ server, not on another one. Not many buildings, no. I just like the server and the neighbours.

alundra55

by alundra55 » Post

Xhole i am ultra64 i am banned in xanadu ahhhhhhhhh

Kelena
In-game: Kelena

by Kelena » Post

English: Ultra, you were griefing cuyecherrysuger's house, normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but you were laughing at her in her face that combined with a few warnings I gave you in the past led to a limit on your account.

Spanish: Ultra, tu estabas destruyendo la casa de cutecherrysuger, usualmente no sería gran cosa, pero estabas burlándote de ella en su cara y tomando en cuenta que yo ya te había dado algunas advertencias en el pasado, tuve que quitar los privilegios de tu cuenta.
Love and nodes, Kel~ | | Playing only at Xanadu.

alundra55

by alundra55 » Post

sorry i am ANGRY i am ultra64

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

@alundra55 So sad. You got banned. You have 2 more chances with alt accounts though. Just don't grief, and even more importantly, don't laugh at people. Even griefing is better than that.

@way You CAN start over on this server, at least AFAIK. Surely your file has been deleted, meaning you can just get on with your old name like you were a new player. And about the no new players thing......let's see what Ten does.

Bonny

by Bonny » Post

His player file has NOT been deleted, once an account is created its not possible for a player file to get deleted.
When life gives you lemons, just bake some lemon cupcakes
Dream as if you"ll live forever, eat cupcakes as if you would die today